Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I did say it's gonna sound harsh and not many people gonna like it or agree with me, just my personal opinion and it doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch or still cheer for them to go far. I just dont see it this year unless Kuemper suddenly becomes a different goalie.

Back to Byram though since this is about him. I really dont think he should play this year, even if I thought Avs would win the cup. Health is more important
This might sound harsh, but Avs are not winning the cup this year with Kuemper in net anyway. They don't need Byram. He can take rest of this year off, get better, come back next year, and hopefully Avs will also have a better goalie next season and make a real cup run

Taking a year off being away from the team most likely will have a detrimental effect to his recovery - part of a recovery plan from PCS is getting back into a regular routine, in that sense it's not too different from rehabbing a traditional injury. Obviously it's not that simple, but the Avs forcing him not to play isn't going to have the same effect you think it will. By all accounts it sounds like the Avs are prioritizing Byram's health and providing all the time and resources he needs to recover.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Taking a year off being away from the team most likely will have a detrimental effect to his recovery - part of a recovery plan from PCS is getting back into a regular routine, in that sense it's not too different from rehabbing a traditional injury. Obviously it's not that simple, but the Avs forcing him not to play isn't going to have the same effect you think it will. By all accounts it sounds like the Avs are prioritizing Byram's health and providing all the time and resources he needs to recover.
Its the right move from the Avs. Have an open door policy with bo. If he deems hes good to play play him if he needs games off so be it.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
He could feel fine 48 hours from now, for all we know. These things are tricky.

If so, we are probaly talking about a depression..... They are indeed tricky.

Nevermind. Give him all the time he needs to heal or figure it out. His health is the most important thing. Wish him all the best!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's waaaay premature to be saying "career over" for Byram at this point. But at the very least, we can definitively say this is going to hurt the Avs this year. That subtracts a lot of talent from our blue line, even though it's still overflowing with skill. Now we're one injury away from playing EJ as our #3 in the playoffs. Without him our whole depth chart on D is wonky on that middle pairing.

Totally agree. Nobody even knows the extent of his symptoms. The way Bednar has described it this year sounds more like it's a mental hurdle he's trying to overcome, rather than the typical concussion symptoms.

They've said the last two times he doesn't have a new concussion and been very cagey about describing what he's going through. Why do that if it's just typical concussion symptoms? The depression and contemplation about his future we heard he went through last year reinforce the possibility this is what he's battling. So does leaving the decision up to him.

And there are way more young NHLers that have overcome their concussion problems in recent history than have been forced to retire. I can't even think of a legit young NHLer like Byram that was forced to retire. The ones that didn't make the NHL were borderline NHLers whose confidence was probably impacted enough to prevent them from going from borderline NHLers to full time NHLers.

Unlike guys like Hishon or even Timmins, Bo is a bonafide NHL star if he can stay healthy. But he wasn't playing with anywhere near the same kind of confidence he was earlier in the season. It's going to take time, but if he can get that confidence back, I think it's certainly possible for him to get past these issues like Crosby, Bergeron, Josi and many others were able to do.

Reactions: Avs91

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If the Dater quotes from Bo's dad are to believed, and yes I question the accuracy of his quotes a ton, the Byram family are "looking to get to the bottom of this". To me that sounds like they're starting the whole process over looking for new treatment from a new doctor.

His dad also said Byram will be staying in Denver and around the team for the time being. I'm not sure why, I'm guessing being close to the team helps his mental health after reading that Baugh article about last year, but that's what was said.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If the Dater quotes from Bo's dad are to believed, and yes I question the accuracy of his quotes a ton, the Byram family are "looking to get to the bottom of this". To me that sounds like they're starting the whole process over looking for new treatment from a new doctor.

His dad also said Byram will be staying in Denver and around the team for the time being. I'm not sure why, I'm guessing being close to the team helps his mental health after reading that Baugh article about last year, but that's what was said.

It might just be that he has responded to the time off/treatments that they would anticipate.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He already tried twice to come back and play after his initial time off from concussion and obviously can't do it. Season is almost half way through. I think he should at least take rest of the regular season off and maybe come back in the playoffs.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He already tried twice to come back and play after his initial time off from concussion and obviously can't do it. Season is almost half way through. I think he should at least take rest of the regular season off and maybe come back in the playoffs.
Although the news that he had to step away from the game one more time is disappointing I prefer to look at it with a positive spin. As you said he has tried twice already to come back and fail. IMO that is also encouraging news. It means that he is close. Timmins for example couldn't even step on the ice. Byram just need more time. It could be one week or it could be the rest of the season. Only him will know when the time is right. The Avs will not shot him down for the rest of the season unless Bo says so.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
After reading through, I agree on a lot of points... he's probably experiencing some symptoms, but to me this sounds like more than that. It sounds like it's really getting to him mentally, and mental health is huge, especially for a 20 year old with a brain still developing.

Here's my take - don't 'shut him down' for the season. If I'm the Avs, I just offer him support, whatever he needs. Say hey Bo, you don't have to feel pressure to come back if you don't want to, take the time you need. But what I don't do is tell him he can't be around for the season.

Let him be around the team if he wants, let him work out if he feels good. If he wants to go home and be with family for a while, let him do that. But don't force his hand, it's not supportive.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
After reading through, I agree on a lot of points... he's probably experiencing some symptoms, but to me this sounds like more than that. It sounds like it's really getting to him mentally, and mental health is huge, especially for a 20 year old with a brain still developing.

Here's my take - don't 'shut him down' for the season. If I'm the Avs, I just offer him support, whatever he needs. Say hey Bo, you don't have to feel pressure to come back if you don't want to, take the time you need. But what I don't do is tell him he can't be around for the season.

Let him be around the team if he wants, let him work out if he feels good. If he wants to go home and be with family for a while, let him do that. But don't force his hand, it's not supportive.
100% agree. Let him decide what he is comfortable doing, and be there for him when he needs it. The only tricky part is with the cap etc and how this affects things.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Ya we will take the same approach as we did Timmins (whose concussion "looked" way more severe).

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Tyson "The ironman" Jost not skating?
INCOMING TRADE?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

giphy.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

NAK on the second line? He's definitely been solid.

That line got put together IIRC during the early portions of the game against Seattle, and it seemed to work quite well.

He's obviously not ideal in that position but the guy is already only 2 goals shy of his career high. Might as well ride the hot hand while we can.

Also gives Logan O'Connor the opportunity to go back to the bottom-six where he belongs. So much more effective when he's not asked to play big minutes and an offensive role.

Once Landeskog returns and if NAK is still playing well, I'd like to run Nichushkin - Newhook - O'Connor as the 3rd line.

Reactions: AvsFan29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad