Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The thing about Byram’s talent, and understanding of the game, is it will always be there. He already showed he will be an incredible defenceman in the NHL. Him missing “development time” isn’t a concern.

Hopefully the time away will help him recover with what is concerning him, whether that’s passion for the game, confidence, mental health, concussion symptoms, or whatever else.

I just hope he takes enough time so that when he decides what is best for him, he is happy with that choice. Whatever it may be.

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
Growing up we were not considered concussed unless we were knocked unconscious. Getting hit - seeing flashing lights "stars" then a severe headache was just getting your bell rung and you went back in and played. I have had my "bell rung" dozens of times as a youth.

I have for the last 30 years dealt with daily severe headaches and vision problems. I was taking 20+ advil a day just to cope. This wasn't helping so I turned to alcohol. A strong buzz allowed me to sleep. Over time a strong buzz wasnt enough which led to me becoming an alcoholic. I nearly burned my life to the ground. Fortunately I was able to get help and have been sober for 2 years now. I still have headaches and light sensitivity but it is more manageable. Aerobic exercise and strength training has helped a lot with this.

Needless to say I am a major advocate for concussion protocols and helping athletes (as well as non-athletes) get the treatment they need. I hope Byram can make a full recovery and I hope the AVS do everything they can to help this young man. No matter how much time it takes.

As an add on - my personal belief based on own light sensitivity is that Hockey players take longer because of the lights in an arena and the glare off of the ice. The flashy lights kick my ass at games.

Last edited:

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Started with the Jovo fight. Deader still had some productive years in LA. God I hated losing him but it was for the cup and ultimately getting Blake that season put us over.
Yes I remember all to well. It’s understandable he couldn’t play anymore because of them but he couldn’t even be on the Bench or running drills at practice. Scary stuff.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We need to expend every ounce of our resources finding experts that can help him recover from these symptoms. Its not just time away anymore, its getting a great sports psychologist to work with him and knowing the team is there with him through the entire thing.

pont

Jul 1, 2019
Gosh I hate reading all this stuff about Byram. Such great upside and seems like a great kid. I have been in Colorado for over 20 years, but this is reminding me of some of my childhood hero's in New England having to quit early like Gord Kluzak, Cam Neely and Norman Leville for the Bruins.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Bowen is only 20 and his brain is still developing. At this point he needs to take time off and just be a normal 20 year old.

The mixture of brain injury, covid, and a stressful job has led him to this point. The travel seems to be affecting his symptoms. Arriving in Nashville at 3am after playing a full game the night before is taxing on anyone, let alone someone who is dealing with his symptoms.

Get better Bo, we love you.

Great take. Lets not jump too quick to the doom and gloom, though its entirely understandable. What a miserable 24 hours as Avs fans.

As someone who has suffered from lingering PCS depression and mental health disorders, (which i'm reading among fellow fans here many have had the same experience), there's an affinity with Byram that goes beyond any player before.

I have to believe this is just the reset he needs to get over the last hurdle, as happened for myself eventually. But as to comparisons to other young stars suffering the unthinkable in their careers because of the NHL still fostering this "culture". If for some reason this really turns out to have been it for Bo, I won't be psychologically able to participate in the Avalanche any longer. Over 25 years nothing else has made me feel this way. And it would be because of what I believe to be the true story about "the VGK".

Reactions: MaKarter

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Unfortunate news about Byram, but I hope he takes all the time he needs to get his health in order. Who knows, maybe this will be a Crosby situation and we won’t see him until some time next season.

As for the defence… the spotlight is on Sam Girard BIG TIME now. The Avs need him to lock down that second pair and turn back into the puck moving savant he’s capable of being. Hope to see Girard regain his form as he’ll probably see an increase in minutes moving forward. His role on this team is pivotal now that he’s the clear #3 D.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I would be extremely surprised if that were the case. Post concussion symptoms are touch and go. They go away and come back. He's an absolute gamer and wants to be playing.

So many people are ready to write this kids career off, when they don't even understand the issues he's dealing with.

Recovering from a concussion isn't a linear thing. It's not like a broken arm where you can estimate how long it will take to heal, and then actually see whether the bone has healed or not. Brain injuries can dissappear and then flare up again.

Amen! It can ultimately be just getting your confidence back thats the hardest part.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's waaaay premature to be saying "career over" for Byram at this point. But at the very least, we can definitively say this is going to hurt the Avs this year. That subtracts a lot of talent from our blue line, even though it's still overflowing with skill. Now we're one injury away from playing EJ as our #3 in the playoffs. Without him our whole depth chart on D is wonky on that middle pairing.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's waaaay premature to be saying "career over" for Byram at this point. But at the very least, we can definitively say this is going to hurt the Avs this year. That subtracts a lot of talent from our blue line, even though it's still overflowing with skill. Now we're one injury away from playing EJ as our #3 in the playoffs. Without him our whole depth chart on D is wonky on that middle pairing.
I'd like to see them call up Barron again and have him get some more experience. He looked fine when he was called up. Better than Murray has

Reactions: avsfan09

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We need to expend every ounce of our resources finding experts that can help him recover from these symptoms. Its not just time away anymore, its getting a great sports psychologist to work with him and knowing the team is there with him through the entire thing.

That's all been happening. There isn't an instant cure for these type of things.

It’s is a personal issue though. It isn’t an injury. He doesn’t have a concussion. He’s completely cleared to play hockey.

Everybody saying “shut him down” don’t seem to understand this isn’t an injury. It’s not about needing a specific time off from hockey to recover. It’s about Bo doing whatever he needs to do to be Bo again and unfortunately nobody will ever know how long that will take.

I mean... it is and it isn't. I agree with everything with the exception about the injury. He doesn't have a concussion but i'd guarantee he's still experiencing Post-Concussion Syndrome.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Very sad for Bo.

At this point the Avs cannot make any projections or decisions based on a consideration that Bo will be available, short-, mid-, or long-term.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This might sound harsh, but Avs are not winning the cup this year with Kuemper in net anyway. They don't need Byram. He can take rest of this year off, get better, come back next year, and hopefully Avs will also have a better goalie next season and make a real cup run

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Damn, I guess I'm going to stop watching hockey now. Super disappointing! Thanks for letting us all know!

I did say it's gonna sound harsh and not many people gonna like it or agree with me, just my personal opinion and it doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch or still cheer for them to go far. I just dont see it this year unless Kuemper suddenly becomes a different goalie.

Back to Byram though since this is about him. I really dont think he should play this year, even if I thought Avs would win the cup. Health is more important

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I did say it's gonna sound harsh and not many people gonna like it or agree with me, just my personal opinion and it doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch or still cheer for them to go far. I just dont see it this year unless Kuemper suddenly becomes a different goalie.

Back to Byram though since this is about him. I really dont think he should play this year, even if I thought Avs would win the cup. Health is more important
Well I mean, odds are that we don't win the cup. It's extremely difficult, even for a top team like colorado.

As for Byram, concussions are difficult injuries to deal with, and it's going to be touch and go for a while.

I'm going to stay positive. He won't be out long.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
like i said yesterday, BO needs to jus shut it down for the season, evaluate how he is doing in the off season. if he still needs more time then, then avs give him the time. jus take your time and heal kid...then when u are well, u can decide weather u still wanna play hockey or not..

Reactions: the_fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad