(2021-2022 Tendie thread) BOB and the KNIGHTed Goat

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
It's Tallon's fault he is overpaid in all fairness.

Price is also overpaid, and he just had an incredible run to the final.

he was paid market value. he would've gotten the same or similar elsewhere.

it's tallon's fault we have 10M invested in goaltending. he made the decision to try and secure that position for years with a huge contract. at the time, we all knew there was a chance it'd be a regrettable decision - teams are winning cups with young goalies left and right.

that said, i like bob and am rooting for him. he's a good guy and works hard.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I have no negativity to throw Bob’s way and I’ll just love him for being our goalie since we are stuck with him… but also not to burst the bubble here… let’s maybe calm down on talks of a Vezina or Conn Smyth for a goalie who struggled to stay above .900 save percentage who is on a team that needs to find a way out of the first round.

Reactions: I am not exposed

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I have no negativity to throw Bob’s way and I’ll just love him for being our goalie since we are stuck with him… but also not to burst the bubble here… let’s maybe calm down on talks of a Vezina or Conn Smyth for a goalie who struggled to stay above .900 save percentage who is on a team that needs to find a way out of the first round.

the guy has won TWO already. it's not like we're sitting here drinking cool-aid watching koskinen and saying that.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
he was paid market value. he would've gotten the same or similar elsewhere.

it's tallon's fault we have 10M invested in goaltending. he made the decision to try and secure that position for years with a huge contract. at the time, we all knew there was a chance it'd be a regrettable decision - teams are winning cups with young goalies left and right.

that said, i like bob and am rooting for him. he's a good guy and works hard.

To me it takes alot for good players to sign with the Florida panthers pre-tallon and during Tallon's reign. We had no real rep, was fairly unstable at certain points, no real momentum or progress and when we did gain any progress it was usually short lived which led to the roster/coaching/mgmt/staff being nuked the next season. In addition to that, we need face it.. we are a southern hockey team. We are not respected in the hockey league, nor do we really deserve it to a certain extent because we haven't done much compared to most of the bigger hockey markets. I feel that is turning around with our roster, stable ownership, prospects panning out and hopefully stable mgmt. It is easier to convince player's to take a leap of faith to join our roster because we are finally cooking with something great here.

So with that being said it always felt like Tallon had to overpay to "convince" players to sign with us so he threw the checkbook at them. I remember the cats spreading the "blueprint" plan, Tallon digging into Chicago's reserves and having Viola promise to open up his wallet. Every signing was like 2-3.5mil over and 1-2 years too much. By the end of it Viola already cut the cap and told Tallon not to buyout player's anymore. Viola himself had no confidence in Tallon & co. It was THAT bad.

Bob had the advantage from the start as he wanted to play for Florida and given we had absolutely no one in the net... Tallon went all in. Bob and his agent exploited a weakness. The only team I could see signing Bob at that ridiculous contract was new york as Luds was on his way out. Seeing how Zito handled trades and player signings is a breath of fresh air. I like Tallon for what he did but he made many mistakes that couldn't be swept under the rug. Bob's salary should really be around the 6.5 - 7mil range, 10 mil is absurd and will bite us in a ass later on. All in all I am pleased with his play so far and hopefully it continues till the celebration parade comes floating down the streets.

Reactions: pantherbot

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FB-zcabX0AAjum5.jpeg.jpg

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

Bob had the advantage from the start as he wanted to play for Florida and given we had absolutely no one in the net... Tallon went all in. Bob and his agent exploited a weakness. The only team I could see signing Bob at that ridiculous contract was new york as Luds was on his way out. Seeing how Zito handled trades and player signings is a breath of fresh air. I like Tallon for what he did but he made many mistakes that couldn't be swept under the rug. Bob's salary should really be around the 6.5 - 7mil range, 10 mil is absurd and will bite us in a ass later on. All in all I am pleased with his play so far and hopefully it continues till the celebration parade comes floating down the streets.

since when does wanting to be somewhere give you an advantage negotiating?

tallon did not overpay by 3M. once again, you have a 2-time vezina winner still within (although on tail end of) his prime. a player like that is going to be paid among top players in the league. would you expect to get a 2-time hart trophy winner in his prime for 6-7M? (that's a rhetorical question...)

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Fun thought. How much does our opinion of Dale Tallon change if Bob wins Vezina, MVP, and Stanley Cup this season? :naughty:
A little? I don’t think anyone here hates Tallon, he came in with good intentions and had the right idea, he just couldn’t execute it properly. He knew there needed to be a culture change. Signing Bob was a bit of a desperate move on his part but understandable. Thank god we are blessed to have Zito fall into our laps and fit the team like a glove. Shout out to ownership and management for making that happen. We could be stuck with inept management and ownership still like a few teams.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
since when does wanting to be somewhere give you an advantage negotiating?

tallon did not overpay by 3M. once again, you have a 2-time vezina winner still within (although on tail end of) his prime. a player like that is going to be paid among top players in the league. would you expect to get a 2-time hart trophy winner in his prime for 6-7M? (that's a rhetorical question...)

Your are right, but 10mil+ on a singular player is just such a burden capwise.

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
the guy has won TWO already. it's not like we're sitting here drinking cool-aid watching koskinen and saying that.
Yep: Gives Knight confidence that we'll play him. Bob earned confidence this week. Plus gives him some time to focus on wife+kid.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Knight in vs Tampa just makes the game that much more exciting. If he does his thing and shuts the door we'll have a legit shot of having a very respectable tandem this season. I feel like Bob has turned the corner this year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
is expected goals against the analytic way of saying he's made lots of high danger saves and the defense needs to buckle down?

edit: question answered

Thanks. Didn't fully understand it either, more posting it to keep track of the ups and downs of Bob this year.

Really feel this may his best year as a Panther.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad