(2021-2022 Tendie thread) BOB and the KNIGHTed Goat

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Let's talk Bob and Spence the Goat.

Question #1)
Are Bob and Goat the two guys tending net for us next year? Does Judge come back for the sequel somehow?
  • No way Knight gets sent down now to AHL is there? Seems unlikely if he got 2 playoff games already.
  • Honestly feel this kid is Price like, CP played 41 games in his first season as a 20 year old.
  • Then 52 and 41 in the following 2 seasons.
  • He jumped up to 72 as a 23 year old and 65 the following year, very rare for goalies to play 70+ games now.

Question #2)

How many games do each of them start next year?
  • Do you think it'll be a 40/40 game split or more 50-30 type split?
  • What happens if Knight falls apart in his first 6-7 game sample? Call up AHL goalie? Let Knight play through it?
  • IF Knight takes off and runs with starting gig, will Bob be disgruntled and not be as good mentally which screws up the on-ice ability?

Question #3)

With better defense and PK, will Bob be more consistent and get closer to his career .916 sv% one/two of the next 3 years? (He was .900 in 2019-2020 and .906 this past year, it's a trend upward, a small sample though)
  • Still think Bob can be more on point and cut down on the greasy/sloppy/soft goals.
  • Don't know if it's still mental but he did shave off 32 points from his 2019-2020 GAA. (3.23 down to 2.91).
  • A top 3/4 D and focus on PK (more discipline) should only help both of them in net.

Question #4)
Even with an add on Defense (one of Yandle/Stralman gone) and a slightly better PK, how confident are you in a rookie goalie (as goat as he should/will be) and Bob continuing to trend up or be 1b level?

• Part of me still feels Knight would benefit from some time in AHL but watching how calm he is, on and off the ice, he reminds me of Price so much. If not this year, it may be 2022-23 when Knight takes over and starts playing 50+ games imo. He just has IT, he may have a couple rough stretches but this team is so close to fully breaking out, just fix that defense/PK and the blue chip forwards keep developing.

Any big questions you have regarding the goaltending, feel free to add on.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
I hope to god that Bob still gets the majority of starts, it would be foolish to play Knight more than 40 games as a rookie IMO

We need to get a top 4 defensive defenseman (Dumoulin? Ekholm?) to play with Ekblad, which should help lighted the load on Knight and Bob's shoulders

Reactions: HockeyRulez

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Q1: yup, bob and k
Q2: depends on start, guessing 51-31 (games)
Q3: yes
Q4: no AHL for k. Bob will improve.

Last edited:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
They will go 50/50 unless one gets hot and runs away with the job.

Same setup as this year exchanging Spencer for Judge. They have no choice but to play Bob. But they won't put all the eggs in that basket unless Bob is lights out. The future is here.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don’t know why you would assign a number of games or a role before the season starts. He earned a roster spot but we should sign a third goalie two-way and prepare for Knight to either become starter or be sent down based upon his performance.

i think this is more just what we think will happen. obviously they need to sign a third goalie in case anything happens. goaltending depth is pretty important nowadays

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t know why you would assign a number of games or a role before the season starts. He earned a roster spot but we should sign a third goalie two-way and prepare for Knight to either become starter or be sent down based upon his performance.

Ya it's just more an open ended question and what you feel/think will happen?
We know Q will ride the hot hand as he has done last year and injuries may occur.

Reactions: harv33173

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This area concerns me the most going into the season. Bob has not performed well in his tenure here. To put it politely.

Knight is a very promising rookie. But he's still a rookie. Expecting him to be our saviour after a couple of decent games concerns me.

Don't know enough about Bednard.

I would like, if the cap space is available, to get a good back up option in the UFA.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I think we should do it like the Islanders did in 2019 with Greiss and Lehner. Split right down the middle; no one goalie makes consecutive starts. Eases in Knight and allows both goalies to stay in rhythm without exhausting them by the time playoffs come around.

Reactions: KW and Chaos2k7

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
This area concerns me the most going into the season. Bob has not performed well in his tenure here. To put it politely.

Knight is a very promising rookie. But he's still a rookie. Expecting him to be our saviour after a couple of decent games concerns me.

I would like, if the cap space is available, to get a good back up option in the UFA.

i am not expecting much of knight right now and hope others are not either. i would not expect the organization to be thinking this way either.

despite being lukewarm about bob's signing, i've come to like him and i'm rooting for him. i actually think we're in a very good situation right now with bob and knight. as our D pairings and F depth improve and as the team starts to experience more success and understand how they need to play in order to sustain it, our goaltender's job will get increasingly more manageable.

we started to see some of that this past year. as our team defense and puck management improves, that trend will continue.

i think bob has a little window here when the organization is (hopefully) going to protect knight a bit.

all this is to say, i think bob is going to surprise folks. this may sound crazy but i think it's entirely possible, if not overwhelmingly likely, that bob leads this team to a cup in the next couple years and wins himself another vezina or even a conn smythe.

Reactions: KW

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
i am not expecting much of knight right now and hope others are not either. i would not expect the organization to be thinking this way either.

despite being lukewarm about bob's signing, i've come to like him and i'm rooting for him. i actually think we're in a very good situation right now with bob and knight. as our D pairings and F depth improve and as the team starts to experience more success and understand how they need to play in order to sustain it, our goaltender's job will get increasingly more manageable.

we started to see some of that this past year. as our team defense and puck management improves, that trend will continue.

i think bob has a little window here when the organization is (hopefully) going to protect knight a bit.

all this is to say, i think bob is going to surprise folks. this may sound crazy but i think it's entirely possible, if not overwhelmingly likely, that bob leads this team to a cup in the next couple years and wins himself another vezina or even a conn smythe.
We’ll you’re definitely optimistic about Bob. I mean he’s had 2 years to prove us wrong and we’re going on year 3 with no Yandle now so his excuses are nonexistent this season. This team is a contender so he better shape up.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I think we should do it like the Islanders did in 2019 with Greiss and Lehner. Split right down the middle; no one goalie makes consecutive starts. Eases in Knight and allows both goalies to stay in rhythm without exhausting them by the time playoffs come around.
Same system as last season. Hopefully one gets hot and then you ride them in the playoffs.

Reactions: KW

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
IMO, Bob is the starter and unless he completely craps the bed he will get 45-50 games.

Knight will be eased in on the first or second of b2b's and play similar to what Judge's role was.
Lemme ask ya bud, should Patrick Roy have been eased into the 1986 playoffs?

...and yes I'll argue my comparison between Spence and Roy is a hell of a lot more fitting than comparing him with Markstrom.

After even just the few games in the NHL we saw, I can't believe anyone has a shred of doubt...

Last edited:

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Lemme ask ya bud, should Patrick Roy have been eased into the 1986 playoffs?

...and yes I'll argue my comparison between Spence and Roy is a hell of a lot more fitting than comparing him with Markstrom.

After even just the few games in the NHL we saw, I can't believe anyone has a shred of doubt...
How quickly you have abandoned Sammy. :popcorn:

Reactions: I am not exposed

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
We’ll you’re definitely optimistic about Bob. I mean he’s had 2 years to prove us wrong and we’re going on year 3 with no Yandle now so his excuses are nonexistent this season. This team is a contender so he better shape up.

we were notably better last year and so was he.

my comment was clearly predicated on the assumption we continue to develop as a defensive team.

i'm sure he hasn't lost it physically. it's a matter of confidence and trust in his teammates.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

So much this.
Bednard is a decent depth prospect, but he hasn't played a single NHL game and spent all but 10 AHL games in the ECHL since graduating from college two years ago. AHL backup absolutely, AHL starter possibly, NHL guy not yet.
Anyway, I agree that we need a third option, even if it's just a n.2/3 to either compete with Bednard in the AHL or serve as our backup if Knight struggles.

Reactions: I am not exposed

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
At the very least, I expect Bob's number to keep slightly increasing, and at worst plateau. He's been steadily getting better since his low point in 19-20. If we have an even stronger team in front of him next season, yes he should do even better.
It's almost as if when the team starts committing more to a complete game, the goalies look better too.

Reactions: Chaos2k7 and zeroG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad