(2021-2022 Tendie thread) BOB and the KNIGHTed Goat

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Really surprised to see the Panthers didn’t go after some assurance. But then again, the market is thin on goaltending, and most of the names that could make a difference would absolutely scoff at the idea of a two way contract.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Really great article on Knight in the athletic today for those who have a sub. The guy sounds really mature and has a good head on his shoulders. Really excited to see him develop here.
I don't have time to read it at ATM, but definitely looking forward to it. Such a long article, I can imagine it is a really good piece.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Really surprised to see the Panthers didn’t go after some assurance. But then again, the market is thin on goaltending, and most of the names that could make a difference would absolutely scoff at the idea of a two way contract.

I guess they feel Montembeault can come up and give them a couple games and not be completely horrible, if Knight needs some ahl time. They might have made some deal with Seattle that they get to put one of their goalies in the ahl too and that he'll get playing time(it'll probably be Daccord). So they might not have room for a vet.

Edit: I forgot we signed Chris Gibson. He's definitely capable of filling in for a couple nhl games too.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I honestly think they’ll treat Knight the same as Driedger. They’ll have a pretty solid idea of what the rotation will look like well in advance. Unless Bob has some miraculous bounce back, I highly doubt he plays more than 45-50 games.
I think Knight plays 30-32 games, regular season.

If the line is 30.5 - over
If the line is 31.5 - under

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It's almost as if when the team starts committing more to a complete game, the goalies look better too.

That's a cop out considering that other goaltenders have had better stats with the same defense. And how much bailing out and mollycoddling does Bob get!

It will be interesting to see who gets blamed next season when Bob plays like crap now that Matheson and Yandle are not on the team. No doubt, it will be another defenseman blamed for Bob's woes!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
That's a cop out considering that other goaltenders have had better stats with the same defense. And how much bailing out and mollycoddling does Bob get!

It will be interesting to see who gets blamed next season when Bob plays like crap now that Matheson and Yandle are not on the team. No doubt, it will be another defenseman blamed for Bob's woes!
I understand why Zito went with the Bob-Knight combo, but I hope he and our pro scouts have some guys in mind as trade targets if it's clear the duo is failing.
I'd still have tried to sign somebody from Europe, but I guess there might be less interest with Covid.
If they falter, maybe this is the year when Montembeault gets a "real chance" and CHGoalie is extatic?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
1) Let’s see how Bob plays.
2) I think it’s now a case of “one last chance”.
3) With reasons for poor SV% removed, other than Bob’s own play, it’s the moment of truth.
4) If Bob sucks, I’ll for one call him out.
5) If Bob shines, I’ll give him kudos.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I understand why Zito went with the Bob-Knight combo, but I hope he and our pro scouts have some guys in mind as trade targets if it's clear the duo is failing.
I'd still have tried to sign somebody from Europe, but I guess there might be less interest with Covid.
If they falter, maybe this is the year when Montembeault gets a "real chance" and CHGoalie is extatic?
As much as I've obviously been wanting him to get that chance, if he gets it here it would mean something went terribly wrong.

Nothing would make me happier than a Spence and Sam combo, but that means Bob got hurt or had that much of a bad time they benched him at $10 mil. Nobody wants to see that.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Still depends on how they play. Yes the weakest links removed, but even the weakest links had a few good games where they didn't cost the team, and I maintain damn near all of them were in front of Driedger.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Still depends on how they play. Yes the weakest links removed, but even the weakest links had a few good games where they didn't cost the team, and I maintain damn near all of them were in front of Driedger.

Which surely says more about Driedger actually giving confidence in net because he's a solid goaltender. While with Bob back there, everyone's nerves were torn to shreds!

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Which surely says more about Driedger actually giving confidence in net because he's a solid goaltender. While with Bob back there, everyone's nerves were torn to shreds!
Or defenseman were instructed to stay at home when Judge was in net; play a safer game.
It seemed like Judge played in a lot more offensively lower-scoring games. The team took less offensive chances and committed more to defense when he was in.

Reactions: austropanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
While Driedger was indeed a solid goalie for us, confidence in your goalie has little to do with blown assignments, or unawareness in screening your own goalie either way. And if anything, they'd let guys go because they're confident the goalie will bail em out.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don't know any knight anymore guys. May have to rethink about his future. His mask just seems too generic to me, I'm worried.
Screenshot_20210919-072720.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad