Celtics/NBA 2021-2022 Regular Season Part 2: Celts Raise #5 to Rafters

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Derrick White is better at basketball than both Richardson and Schroder and he’s both a possible long term option and a desirable trade chip. Great defender, can score a bit, very good distributor when in that role (Murray usually is). Frees up time for Pritchard/Nesmith to play more. Also looks like some decent players are already being waived, they’re clearly going to be active there with so many open spots. Schroder’s has seen his role shrink a bit lately it seems and they don’t seem to be suffering for it. The more I saw him the less I liked him. Still better than Westbrook tho lol

Theis is a huge upgrade as the 3C

Derrick white has been a piss poor shooter the last two years. He’s a good defender, but the Celtics are already one of the best defending teams in the league. They need shooters. Unfortunately their bench scoring got even worse today.

Regardless they did nothing that will get them any further in the playoffs this year and it was a handful of moves so the owners didn’t have to pay a couple million dollars extra in the luxury tax. Embarrassing.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
CBS Sports named the Celtics as one of the winners today:

The Celtics didn't make the sexiest moves, but Brad Stevens' first trade deadline in the front office was an unmitigated success. Boston brought in Derrick White, the type of player who seems like he'll thrive in a supporting role on a good team, parting ways with Josh Richardson and Romeo Langford to clear up a crowded backcourt. The cost was a first-round pick, but White seems more than worthy of relinquishing that asset.

Additionally, Boston sent out Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom and Bruno Fernando and brought back old Celtic Daniel Theis. All told, the Celtics could have maneuvered themselves out of the luxury tax while improving their team, something that's very difficult to do in the modern NBA.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Richardson, Shroder, Langford, Bol Bol, Dosier, Kantor and 1st round pick for White and Theis.

5 of those aren’t really assets. Richardson/1st/pick swap were the only things moved of any real value. The rest is filler or people they were trying to give away. Somebody had reported we were trying to pawn Schroder off on everybody. He kills offensive flow, isn’t much of a shooter, and isn’t a good defender. You can see why he could only find a one year deal the more you watch him. I started off liking him and advocating for him in the lineup and then the more i saw him the less I wanted him back. Wouldn’t shock me if Pritchard fills those 15-20 minutes effectively. I don’t think IT is a significant drop off from Schroder for that role (bench scorer playing 15 min)

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not an accurate portrayal of White and Theis is the 3rd best player moved in that list of names.
What is White then? He’s gonna come off the bench and play in a Smart like roll when he’s off the floor?

Didn’t they need to get better offensively? I don’t see how they did that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
CBS Sports named the Celtics as one of the winners today:

The Celtics didn't make the sexiest moves, but Brad Stevens' first trade deadline in the front office was an unmitigated success. Boston brought in Derrick White, the type of player who seems like he'll thrive in a supporting role on a good team, parting ways with Josh Richardson and Romeo Langford to clear up a crowded backcourt. The cost was a first-round pick, but White seems more than worthy of relinquishing that asset.

Additionally, Boston sent out Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom and Bruno Fernando and brought back old Celtic Daniel Theis. All told, the Celtics could have maneuvered themselves out of the luxury tax while improving their team, something that's very difficult to do in the modern NBA.

somebody I saw said it best- Brad keeps hitting singles

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What is White then? He’s gonna come off the bench and play in a Smart like roll when he’s off the floor?

Didn’t they need to get better offensively? I don’t see how they did that.

you’re calling him Smart-lite. Like he’s an inferior player. No, he’s basically the same value. He was the Spurs version of Smart and arguably their 2nd best player. And he’s also not as dumb with his decision-making. Can run the point much better than Schroder. Has had success hitting corner 3’s and open 3’s, which he’ll get plenty of with Tatum and Brown drawing the focus from the D

I bet you see him and Smart on the court together a lot. Good luck opposing back courts.

Plus it sets them up really well if they want to make a blockbuster deal. And gives them a potential long term fit if he works with the J’s (which his style should)

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
you’re calling him Smart-lite. Like he’s an inferior player. No, he’s basically the same value. He was the Spurs version of Smart and arguably their 2nd best player. And he’s also not as dumb with his decision-making. Can run the point much better than Schroder. Has had success hitting corner 3’s and open 3’s, which he’ll get plenty of with Tatum and Brown drawing the focus from the D

I bet you see him and Smart on the court together a lot. Good luck opposing back courts.
Didn’t Richardson have success hitting the open 3s?

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Didn’t Richardson have success hitting the open 3s?

yeah Richardson is a good player. Not as good as Derrick White though.

they traded a 6th/7th man who they acquired for a trash big man in exchange for a possible long term option who will be in the closing lineup. Not quite sure they break up the starting unit at tip-off but I can pretty much tell you for sure he’ll be in over Horford at the end of games. He should be at least. Him and Smart are the 4th and 5th best players on the team in whatever order you want them IMO

the switchability of that lineup late in games is going to be fun to watch. Teams are gonna have problems scoring.

Reactions: The National

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
yeah Richardson is a good player. Not as good as Derrick White though.

they traded a 6th/7th man who they acquired for a trash big man in exchange for a possible long term option who will be in the closing lineup. Not quite sure they break up the starting unit at tip-off but I can pretty much tell you for sure he’ll be in over Horford at the end of games. He should be at least. Him and Smart are the 4th and 5th best players on the team in whatever order you want them IMO
We shall see.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
We shall see.

seems like the strategy is gonna be to turn games into rock fights

the only thing that peeves me is that pick swap in 2028. Though honestly I think we will still be better than San Antonio by then. I have nothing to base that on.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
seems like the strategy is gonna be to turn games into rock fights

the only thing that peeves me is that pick swap in 2028. Though honestly I think we will still be better than San Antonio by then. I have nothing to base that on.
Damn, Popovich will be 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad