Speculation: 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Where would you slot Brown as 1C, top 6, mid 6 ??
He was drafted to be their #1 centre of the future & when you look at their present stock of centres in their org & who will be on this team in future I doubt that changes. Maybe Norris can beat him out at some future point but with his size, vision, passing & playmaking ability I still think he should be #1.

Of course, if they are able to draft Byfield he could at some future point become a future #1 centre for this team but IMO that could be a few yrs away & IMO Byfield could also end up being a better LWer for this team with L. Brown in the middle. I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Have we not been vastly improved? Like I’m sorry but he wasn’t wrong. We don’t look like
Hot garbage night in night out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Logan Brown will be a very good centre for this team at some point down the road, he will never be a super aggressive player but a much more cerebral player & playmaker who will always have more assists than goals. He just needs an aggressive player to do the dirty work on his line & a goal scorer to finish his passes. I also think he will be a full time player next season. Mantha is a lot tougher than Logan but both are big guys who can produce offensively, Mantha is the better goal scorer & Brown the better passer & playmaker.

sounds like L Brown should play with Tkachuk and Duclair. I do not disagree with that. Perhaps those wingers would help him stay in the NHL.

Reactions: aragorn

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Note that the thread says 2021-2022, but you were asking for next year's roster, so I'm assuming you meant 2020-2021, which is more realistic to project anyway. I think/hope we let the following go: Pageau, Ennis, Namestnikov, Hainsey, Boro, Sabu, Goloubef, Englund, Boedker

I hope we re-sign DeMelo. If not, I think we need to replace him with a top pairing D in the off-season anyway.

Without counting on who we draft this year, and assuming we don't manage to sign any significant FA in the off-season:

Tkachuk - Tierney - Duclair
Balcers - L. Brown - Batherson <- the sink-or-swim line
Paul - White - C. Brown <- the grinders
Abramov - Chlapik/Anisimov - Davidsson <- I think Anisimov stays. We need at least one veteran forward who can play a little.
Ryan?

Norris, Formenton dominating in AHL and call ups in case of injury

Chabot - DeMelo
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Reilly - Jaros
Alsing?

Lajoie - Brannstrom dominating in AHL and call ups in case of injury.

Nilsson
Hogberg

Gustavson - Daccord dominating in AHL and call ups in case of injury

With the roster above we should be in another tank year basically. Hopefully with the growth of our prospects we won't be as close to the bottom though. That would be very depressing.

Now if get lucky and manage to get Lafreniere, I would be in full support of accelerating the rebuild and spending some money on a couple of big FA (knowing full well we won't), one top line forward, and one top pairing D. Then we could suddenly become a playoff bubble team.
I agree about Boro. He has been the team mascot or favorite for a long time. Had he not been PD little puppy he would have been gone a long time ago.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We’ve cried for a rebuild for ever. Like. This is what it looks like lmao. Some of you want it both ways.

It looks like a rebuild because the best players were traded away for picks and prospects for financial reasons. The team’s performance is not “vastly improved”. There has not been “a big step forward”. There is hope for both of those things but. No evidence of either being achieved yet. It will take a few more years of poor performance to get top draft picks and develop those players before any big steps or vast improvement will be seen.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
It looks like a rebuild because the best players were traded away for picks and prospects for financial reasons. The team’s performance is not “vastly improved”. There has not been “a big step forward”. There is hope for both of those things but. No evidence of either being achieved yet. It will take a few more years of poor performance to get top draft picks and develop those players before any big steps or vast improvement will be seen.

The team's performance has improved, at least 5v5. The data suggests we are better at 5v5 than we were the previous two years
19-20 (at 5v5)
GF%: 46.23 (25th)
xGF%: 49.42 (17th)

18-19
GF%: 43.70 (31st)
xGF%: 46.71 (27th)

17-18
GF%: 43.43 (30th)
xGF%: 46.63 (29th)

Considering the roster turnover, I'd say these numbers suggest improvements in coaching, work ethic, and overall structure; however, I agree that we are far away from being a truly competitive team. To be clear, to me, a competitive team has at least a 50/50 chance of beating any team in a seven games series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes I mean. Of course?? I see this year as a vast improvement on last. Young players getting in. We’re not atrocious to watch. There’s some direction. The guys look tight knit.
Did you think dorion was saying “vast improvement were gonna be challenging next year”. Like even the owner himself said in 3 years lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes I mean. Of course?? I see this year as a vast improvement on last. Young players getting in. We’re not atrocious to watch. There’s some direction. The guys look tight knit.
Did you think dorion was saying “vast improvement were gonna be challenging next year”. Like even the owner himself said in 3 years lol.

Didn't Dorion say we'd be in the playoffs next year after last year's TDL. Close to that ..

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
i dont recal that. i thought FYOUS was starting 2021

let's hope he meant 2021/2022. To get to 8th..not my definition of unparalleled success, but I am being unreasonable. Still means 15 spots or so from where they are today. So 8 spots a year. Or an increase of ~ 25 points in those two years. (assuming ~70 this year, 95 in 21/22). After that, improving say 2 spots a year. So, 2-3 more years on top. Makes 2024/2025 the earliest, before it is a solid top 2/3 in the conference, top 4/5 in the whole league. Do we start the unparalleled success clock then (2024) or, what the heck, let's take credit for 8th place. So we start at 2021?

let's hope every pick works out, which as they improve means lower and lower. let's hope every trade works out. Let's hope every free agent signing works out. let's hope no key player gets injured. let's hope no one wants out (we have seen that before). Let's hope that the bulk of the players don't stand their with their hats in hand wanting them filled with cash. Even spending at the Cap, could still not mean enough money for everyone.

Now they have written checks, they will almost certainly not cash. And the fan base may be left with NSF ..No pun intended regarding the teams financials.

All they had to do was: say nothing...Melnyk, Dorion..just stay quiet.

What is so hard about how best to handle things. Queen Elizabeth figured this out years ago...Do not complain, do not explain....let me add another, do not promise.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
let's hope he meant 2021/2022. To get to 8th..not my definition of unparalleled success, but I am being unreasonable. Still means 15 spots or so from where they are today. So 8 spots a year. Or an increase of ~ 25 points in those two years. (assuming ~70 this year, 95 in 21/22). After that, improving say 2 spots a year. So, 2-3 more years on top. Makes 2024/2025 the earliest, before it is a solid top 2/3 in the conference, top 4/5 in the whole league. Do we start the unparalleled success clock then (2024) or, what the heck, let's take credit for 8th place. So we start at 2021?

let's hope every pick works out, which as they improve means lower and lower. let's hope every trade works out. Let's hope every free agent signing works out. let's hope no key player gets injured. let's hope no one wants out (we have seen that before). Let's hope that the bulk of the players don't stand their with their hats in hand wanting them filled with cash. Even spending at the Cap, could still not mean enough money for everyone.

Now they have written checks, they will almost certainly not cash. And the fan base may be left with NSF ..No pun intended regarding the teams financials.

All they had to do was: say nothing...Melnyk, Dorion..just stay quiet.

What is so hard about how best to handle things. Queen Elizabeth figured this out years ago...Do not complain, do not explain....let me add another, do not promise.
ill be honest, i don't quite understand your issue. and i dont mean that in any sort of bad way im just not seeing your point.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
ill be honest, i don't quite understand your issue. and i dont mean that in any sort of bad way im just not seeing your point.

Burrow,

my point is simple..promises get made. statements are released, slogans get issued, grandiose outlooks are projected and then..we start walking back.."we'll no, he never said that", or "that's not what he meant".. After a while, as you read on this site, there are two groups that annoy the heck out of you..The "all hell is breaking loose". And the "everything is alright, nothing to see here" group. Both are wrong.

You remember, Old George Bush "read my lips, no new taxes"...Or "I won't raise your taxes"..D. McGuinty..then they do it, and they start walking things back. And their handlers spend the next 3-4 years, changing his words.."No he never said that".."What he said is"..... In GHB case the voters tossed him out..In McGuinty's case..well, we are way more willing to absorb punishment here.

It is amazing the walking back, the softening of positions, the twisting of views that has gone on.. The club, whether Melnyk or Dorion have shot their mouths off. Have tried to paint rosy pictures and all I see on this site and in media in general is "attempts' to soften the blow.

When all they had to do was: Shut up. Then all of the attempt to walk things back, would be unnecessary. And the fan base would be less annoyed.

I am not sure where you work. I can tell you, where I do..You get the; small group who believes, a whole lot who; role their eyes and a whole lot who; would consider the words "Liars"..but do not.. And others who no longer give a damn.

Attempts to over condemn is mean. Attempts to over defend, is annoying. Attempts to whitewash is insulting.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I’m not convinced we traded away those players for the “financial reasons” often suggested.

We had those players and still struggled. I don’t think it would have made sense to pay $30+ million more for the same aging group.

I do think we traded them for financial reasons but more than Melynk just being cheap. It wouldn’t have made sense to give EK $11.5, MD $8, RD $5 etc. Mark Stone would have been nice to keep around but that contract may turn negative in a few years too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Burrow,

my point is simple..promises get made. statements are released, slogans get issued, grandiose outlooks are projected and then..we start walking back.."we'll no, he never said that", or "that's not what he meant".. After a while, as you read on this site, there are two groups that annoy the heck out of you..The "all hell is breaking loose". And the "everything is alright, nothing to see here" group. Both are wrong.

You remember, Old George Bush "read my lips, no new taxes"...Or "I won't raise your taxes"..D. McGuinty..then they do it, and they start walking things back. And their handlers spend the next 3-4 years, changing his words.."No he never said that".."What he said is"..... In GHB case the voters tossed him out..In McGuinty's case..well, we are way more willing to absorb punishment here.

It is amazing the walking back, the softening of positions, the twisting of views that has gone on.. The club, whether Melnyk or Dorion have shot their mouths off. Have tried to paint rosy pictures and all I see on this site and in media in general is "attempts' to soften the blow.

When all they had to do was: Shut up. Then all of the attempt to walk things back, would be unnecessary. And the fan base would be less annoyed.

I am not sure where you work. I can tell you, where I do..You get the; small group who believes, a whole lot who; role their eyes and a whole lot who; would consider the words "Liars"..but do not.. And others who no longer give a damn.

Attempts to over condemn is mean. Attempts to over defend, is annoying. Attempts to whitewash is insulting.
The sens are not our colleague. We are fans. Here’s the thing. What’s the worst that happens?
Okay so dorion says we’re gonna be vastly improved this year. Perhaps he really did mean a massive point jump . But NONE OF US REALLY WANTED THAT. We wanted that pick. And still do. So they’ve made certain “promises”. They said a 2-3 year turnaround. Now. What if they’re wrong. And it’s a 4-5 year turn around. Personally nothing changes. Oh no they said they were gonna be the best in 2022 but really I had to wait until 2024. Such is life.

It’s a a couple guy running an organization that makes its money’s hiring kids to hit a black puck with a stick. These are not governments.

If they wouldn’t have said anything it would have been “they didn’t say anything screw them im not buying ticket I don’t see a plan!!!

if they would have said wer gonna be crap for at least 5 year it’s would have been “what?!?! I’m not buying tickets if they just accept we’re gonna be crap

and now he said “we’re gonna be vastly improved”. And in my mind. We have been. In messaging, in management, in direction. In on ice product. But okay. Some people think we haven’t and therefore dorion is simply a....liar? I just don’t understand. He’s not the leader of the free world.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion could have said “some improvement” rather than “vast improvement”. He also could have said “make progress on the PK, PP, and ES play, but he said “big step forward”. That is PR spin. He overstates things.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion could have said “some improvement” rather than “vast improvement”. He also could have said “make progress on the PK, PP, and ES play, but he said “big step forward”. That is PR spin. He overstates things.
You know he is in the business of still trying to sell tickets.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
okay he overstated something.... and... its not like people are buying tickets and are like"what is this?!?! dorion said vast improvement this aint no vast improvement! im not coming back!' theyre already not coming back because theyre cheap.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Didn't Dorion say we'd be in the playoffs next year after last year's TDL. Close to that ..

Challenging for a spot in 2020/21 was what he said...i interpreted that to mean meaningful hockey in February/March. Tgat kind of implies anything north of about 85 points

He did say in the playoffs the year after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad