Speculation: 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Relax. You're trying to build out an NHL team from a prospect list. That's not how it works.

Next years Ottawa Senators won't be made up of the prospect list. The team down the road won't be all Senators picks. The prospects are assets. Some will make the team, some will be traded and some will bust.

It's also not an NHL video game. There's no neat slotting lines 1-2-3-4 with certain types of players. They do lack top line talent but that's life. If you have a decent amount of 2nd and 3rd liners that work hard, you can compete decently.

The team is also shedding players and salary as they go, they can trade for some guys and sign some lesser vets. Think of the Brown/Zaitsev trade.

I am with you. What is your time frame on when the team will compete?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
2 years away from competing for playoffs. You keep up the sky is falling routine with the 5 years of high picks.

Unless we get Lafreniere whichever prospect we get likely won't make a star impact for a couple of years, ditto for the next draft. This team still needs a lot of work to be competitive.

Reactions: Cosmix and Dingle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It can get worse.

So Tkachuk is top line winger. L. Brown is being advertised as the top line center, but is in the minors and not exactly an 18 year old.. Batherson is ~ 22 and has yet to really impact at the NHL level.

Line II is????? Norris (center) and Pinto (center) and unknown ..a grand total of zero NHL games and 2 centers. Plus if the draft is fruitful, and the team gets a center..3 centers on line II

Line III is? Formenton, White and unknown.

Ouch..There must be something we are missing? right..
I mean.... yeah there *IS* something missing... the upcoming draft where we currently have 2 top 10 picks....

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I mean.... yeah there *IS* something missing... the upcoming draft where we currently have 2 top 10 picks....

It is actually in there... read all posts Burrow. From the one that started it( 2-3 before the one you quoted), to just before yours. The post was about the team as it stands and as what the prospects look and what the immediate future holds. In it is a questioning of youth, of over concentration on one position and on time line.

We all know about the 2 picks in the top 10. Since we do not know anything else, such as the positions they play and how ready they are? it may/will leave the team in a predicament for next year and the year after.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It is actually in there... read all posts Burrow. From the one that started it( 2-3 before the one you quoted), to just before yours. The post was about the team as it stands and as what the prospects look and what the immediate future holds. In it is a questioning of youth, of over concentration on one position and on time line.

We all know about the 2 picks in the top 10. Since we do not know anything else, such as the positions they play and how ready they are? it may/will leave the team in a predicament for next year and the year after.
whats the predicament

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
whats the predicament

that is 2020/21 the forwards will be a bigger mess than today. Particularly if Pageau and Duclair leave. If there is an over-concentration of centers, you better hope they can play wing, or you can orchestrate trades.. Pretty much means 20/21 is a write off and you have to look at 21/22. which will only mean the 20/21 mess is still there but with a number of players due and you have to make more decisions as to which contracts to offer.

This team had better hope that every flowery, positive, good fortune scenario unfolds.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
that is 2020/21 the forwards will be a bigger mess than today. Particularly if Pageau and Duclair leave. If there is an over-concentration of centers, you better hope they can play wing, or you can orchestrate trades.. Pretty much means 20/21 is a write off and you have to look at 21/22. which will only mean the 20/21 mess is still there but with a number of players due and you have to make more decisions as to which contracts to offer.

This team had better hope that every flowery, positive, good fortune scenario unfolds.
every team goes through this though. and yes next year will be rough , I don't know about a "mess" but yeah we wont be great next year. did you expect to be?

Yes them hoping that every positive scenario unfolds is just as unrealistic as you seemingly thinking that every bad one will unfold

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They are 4 years away from competing for a Stanley Cup. Thats why keeping Pageau doesnt make sense when they can continue to stockpile assets.

They are going to be terrible again next year, 2020/2021. The following season i hope they are in the mix for the playoffs 2021/2022. In 2022/2023 the hope is they are a playoff team in 2023/2024 is when hopefully they are a true contender. Also hopefully by the a new building at Lebreton flats is under construction.

Reactions: SensFan1010

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
every team goes through this though. and yes next year will be rough , I don't know about a "mess" but yeah we wont be great next year. did you expect to be?

Yes them hoping that every positive scenario unfolds is just as unrealistic as you seemingly thinking that every bad one will unfold

They are 4 years away from competing for a Stanley Cup. Thats why keeping Pageau doesnt make sense when they can continue to stockpile assets.

They are going to be terrible again next year, 2020/2021. The following season i hope they are in the mix for the playoffs 2021/2022. In 2022/2023 the hope is they are a playoff team in 2023/2024 is when hopefully they are a true contender. Also hopefully by the a new building at Lebreton flats is under construction.

2 forwards are signed (top 9) Tkachuk and White (at 4 goals, he is started to worry me)..leaving 7 spots. in 2 years, that is 3 and 4 or 4 and 3 per year..If it was this easy, how did we get into the mess to begin with? So, one more year. making it 22/23.

I will repeat for Bert: Yesterday from 9 pm until midnight, was an all out assault on everyone who suggested a longer rebuild. You were called a pessimist, a downer and other terms. Bert, when they read your: hopefully a playoff team by 23/24...You are lucky, you did not post this yesterday evening.

LOOK UP at the top. See Caesars top comment and the comment he received... between 11 and 12 pm..

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
2 forwards are signed (top 9) Tkachuk and White (at 4 goals, he is started to worry me)..leaving 7 spots. in 2 years, that is 3 and 4 or 4 and 3 per year..If it was this easy, how did we get into the mess to begin with? So, one more year. making it 22/23.

I will repeat for Bert: Yesterday from 9 pm until midnight, was an all out assault on everyone who suggested a longer rebuild. You were called a pessimist, a downer and other terms. Bert, when they read your: hopefully a playoff team by 23/24...You are lucky, you did not post this yesterday evening.

LOOK UP at the top. See Caesars top comment and the comment he received... between 11 and 12 pm..
I will humour this and go see last nights posts, but so far everyone is sort of agreeing? the rebuild is not doen next year.. YOU seem to be the one saying we better hurry

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Depending on how these top picks go, we could be a playoff team next year.

Goaltending will be good enough, 5 on 5 will be solid, the D is a big question mark. Probably won’t have a playoff ready D yet

Reactions: guyzeur

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I will humour this and go see last nights posts, but so far everyone is sort of agreeing? the rebuild is not doen next year.. YOU seem to be the one saying we better hurry

I am not paying salaries and seeing 12000 fans, when I need 18000. I have 30 other teams to watch and with no vested interest, it is much more enjoyable to watch other teams. You don't care who wins or loses.

The team cares...you keep staying away, and it will concern itself.

2021 and beyond, unparalleled success: Melnyks words.
The worst is behind us: Dorion's words
Both are wrong: My words

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

This team won't be good next year. Don't believe everything Dorion says.

Not all the prospects will hit and some will bust. Also there will be growing pains with young players. Additionally one can't just assume our picks from this years draft will step into the NHL. It seems like Byfield and Laf are the two who are nhl ready. Everyone else probably not

Reactions: Cosmix

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
This team won't be good next year. Don't believe everything Dorion says.

Not all the prospects will hit and some will bust. Also there will be growing pains with young players. Additionally one can't just assume our picks from this years draft will step into the NHL. It seems like Byfield and Laf are the two who are nhl ready. Everyone else probably not

where were all of you guys yesterday evening? There was a pretty good onslaught.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
where were all of you guys yesterday evening? There was a pretty good onslaught.
got things to do but its easy to see by just looking at the roster. Its bare. Has there been a team ever that has had like 9 rookies come in and all become top 9 forwards in the same year? I doubt it

Pageau isn't the answer either

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Disagreeing with a comment that says we have 5 more years of high picks doesn’t equate to an “onslaught”

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I am lucky? Lol I dont care what other posters think its pretty obvious where this team is at. Players need years to mature into their bodies and develop into their roles. Not every prospect or pick is going to play but they are assets for when the time is right. If Ottawa ends up with a stacked D core they can move one of those assets for a forward for example.

Out of the current team and in the organization this is who I feel has a real shot at being part of the solution long term. Signing Duclair is an absolute must.

F
Duclair
Tkachuk
L. Brown
C. Brown
White
Batherson
Formenton
Norris
Chlapik
Paul
Pinto

D
Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Brannstrom
Jaros
JBD
Thomson

G
Hogberg
Daccord
Soogard?

I think this summer is a really good opportunity to go for a goalie due to expansion. Every other player and asset currently on the team should be sold at its maximum value. I dont want a bandaid fix for this rebuild, I want them to do it right so the team wins a Stanley Cup one day. I dont want to have to go through this again in 5 years because it was rushed.

If the sens can get Matt Murray and end up drafting two forward studs some sort of combination of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzl/Raymond then one of Rossi/Lundell/Holtz/Perfetti you can actually see the roster take shape.

For example this team in 4 years could compete for a Stanley Cup

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Perfetti L. Brown Duclair
Formenton Norris C. Brown
Paul Pinto White
Chlapik

Chabot JBD
Brannstrom Jaros
Wolanin Zaitsev
Thomson

Murray
Daccord

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I don't know about that. I think that even in the inevitable case where guys bust, we will still have an overabundance of young NHL fwds and will be able to deal from a position of strength there to get more veteran players. This team should be a relatively easy one to manage into a level of contention - maybe not cup contenders, but a competitive team? It shouldn't be too difficult. Tons of picks, tons of prospects, tons of cap space.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I am lucky? Lol I dont care what other posters think its pretty obvious where this team is at. Players need years to mature into their bodies and develop into their roles. Not every prospect or pick is going to play but they are assets for when the time is right. If Ottawa ends up with a stacked D core they can move one of those assets for a forward for example.

Out of the current team and in the organization this is who I feel has a real shot at being part of the solution long term. Signing Duclair is an absolute must.

F
Duclair
Tkachuk
L. Brown
C. Brown
White
Batherson
Formenton
Norris
Chlapik
Paul
Pinto

D
Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Brannstrom
Jaros
JBD
Thomson

G
Hogberg
Daccord

I think this summer is a really good opportunity to go for a goalie due to expansion. Every other player and asset currently on the team should be sold at its maximum value. I dont want a bandaid fix for this rebuild, I want them to do it right so the team wins a Stanley Cup one day. I dont want to have to go through this again in 5 years because it was rushed.

you must forgive me, but I must be missing something. Your list is identical to mine over two different threads. the Pinto and the Thompson. the names you have, I have. You stop at 11 forwards, a team needs 13 or 14..so this year's draft picks????? or other call ups that are less highly placed on the depth chart.

1) a fragile lineup that may not have a good year.
2) who know if Duclair or any others are still here. Even if they are, you have 4-5 of the 13/14 with more than a sprinkle of NHL experience
3) today's NHL is about longer and more lucrative second contracts. It forces decisions. Jaros..do you commit any money to him??? Wolanin in his RFA year. Similarly with forwards.
4) While this applies more to the Thomson thread, I am arguing he and JBD had better play and play a ton. They are the future and better not miss..who is behind them?
5) Ditto for Pinto.. which is where this sequence of posts began.

The team exhausted its freebees..it needs 9 forwards, 4 top four D..13 players. As of now, it has 4..leaving it needing 9..it has a pool of about 10-11 players, Including the potential 2 draft picks this year.. So, 9 out of 10-11...There can be one miss. possibly 2. Add to it next years draft, you land at 13 prospects..so, wow, we are now at 9 out of 13...

Pinto, Thompson, JBD..these 3 are critical. any of them fall out and you are at 9 in 12, 9 in 11, 9 in 10...zero margin for error.

If the team has to start dolling out contracts to proven NHLrs to fill the gap of missing talent, those are 3,4,5-7 year commitments.

Pierre in Orleans has a busy summer ahead of him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you must forgive me, but I must be missing something. Your list is identical to mine over two different threads. the Pinto and the Thompson. the names you have, I have. You stop at 11 forwards, a team needs 13 or 14..so this year's draft picks????? or other call ups that are less highly placed on the depth chart.

1) a fragile lineup that may not have a good year.
2) who know if Duclair or any others are still here. Even if they are, you have 4-5 of the 13/14 with more than a sprinkle of NHL experience
3) today's NHL is about longer and more lucrative second contracts. It forces decisions. Jaros..do you commit any money to him??? Wolanin in his RFA year. Similarly with forwards.
4) While this applies more to the Thomson thread, I am arguing he and JBD had better play and play a ton. They are the future and better not miss..who is behind them?
5) Ditto for Pinto.. which is where this sequence of posts began.

The team exhausted its freebees..it needs 9 forwards, 4 top four D..13 players. As of now, it has 4..leaving it needing 9..it has a pool of about 10-11 players, Including the potential 2 draft picks this year.. So, 9 out of 10-11...There can be one miss. possibly 2. Add to it next years draft, you land at 13 prospects..so, wow, we are now at 9 out of 13...

Pinto, Thompson, JBD..these 3 are critical. any of them fall out and you are at 9 in 12, 9 in 11, 9 in 10...zero margin for error.

If the team has to start dolling out contracts to proven NHLrs to fill the gap of missing talent, those are 3,4,5-7 year commitments.

Pierre in Orleans has a busy summer ahead of him.

They are 4 years away from really competing I dont need 13 forwards right now,that would be completely unrealistic to try and predict a roster 4 years away. It would also be terrible from a development side to have that young of a team. There will be other players aquired via the draft, free agency, trades etc. Some of these players I listed will be traded or will not work out in Ottawa. I simply listed the players in the organization that potentially have a long term future and could be part of the solution, that was the premise and concept of my post not predicting the team next season.

My true hope is there is new ownership and Pierre Dorion has nothing to do with this organization in a management role, he belongs as a director of scouting or just as a scout but not running the show. Even if this rebuild is done correctly this ownership isnt commited to winning they will never win a Cup with Melnyk at the helm.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

2-3 years and they will be fighting for a wildcard spot. I lean more toward 2 years. By then all of the "bad" contracts will be off the books and the team will have had a chance to completely remake the roster.

I also don't think a long rebuild is in the cards because it won't be allowed to - well, not deliberately. You can end up with teams that take a long time to make the playoffs despite their best efforts.

Unless the get Lafreniere, attendance will almost certainly be lower next year. That's why the rebuild won't last long. Melnyk may be ok with the team this year as cutting costs with this revenue seems to work for him. However; there is a point at which the team won't be able to cut costs enough to match declining revenue. That's' when the rebuild/re-tool ends, regardless of what the roster is at that point.

I think the key here is that the Sens will get to re-purpose a lot of "dead" money in the near future, so I'm expecting more Brown/Zaitsev or Namestnikov trades. If the kids are struggling, they aren't going to keep running them out there. Veterans will be acquired to make sure the team is competitive.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
They are 4 years away from really competing I dont need 13 forwards right now,that would be completely unrealistic to try and predict a roster 4 years away. It would also be terrible from a development side to have that young of a team. There will be other players aquired via the draft, free agency, trades etc. Some of these players I listed will be traded or will not work out in Ottawa. I simply listed the players in the organization that potentially have a long term future and could be part of the solution, that was the premise and concept of my post not predicting the team next season.

My true hope is there is new ownership and Pierre Dorion has nothing to do with this organization in a management role, he belongs as a director of scouting or just as a scout but not running the show. Even if this rebuild is done correctly this ownership isnt commited to winning they will never win a Cup with Melnyk at the helm.

You are correct. I would submit that about a solid 50-60,000 people share your view. Although, they do not come close to your knowledge.

It returns me to a comment I made. Inconvenient truth. From the club's perspective, they need this to become common knowledge about as badly as the rest of us need a tooth ache. They have tickets to sell, sponsorship to sell. Tell everyone 3-4 more years. On top of the 2 already..When the uninitiated believes that 2021 and beyond: Unparalleled success..WOW, when the truth comes out.

yesterday's blasts..they are in season ticket selling mode..they need; unicorns, rainbows and sunshine. It is why, I laughed at their antics and liked everything. I liked a solid 10 snide posts.

no, you don't need 13 forwards now..the top 9 that will be needed..as of now, what? say 8 in the pool as of now, add 1 or 2 (cannot double dip..if you use a pick on a D, it is no longer available). Another 1 0r 2 in 2021 . You are at 10-12 forwards needing to blossom into a top 9 core. You have some wiggle, but not much. even if you extend into the 2022 draft..you add another 1 or 2..(remember if this team improves, its picks drop lower and lower)..up to 12-14!!!!!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am not paying salaries and seeing 12000 fans, when I need 18000. I have 30 other teams to watch and with no vested interest, it is much more enjoyable to watch other teams. You don't care who wins or loses.

The team cares...you keep staying away, and it will concern itself.

2021 and beyond, unparalleled success: Melnyks words.
The worst is behind us: Dorion's words
Both are wrong: My words
the worst really is behind us.. whats wrong with this year? we haven't played horrible and have a nice top ten pick possibly two to look forward to

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I think if we can snag a legit 1C at this years draft we will look pretty solid down the middle. And i do have to say im a fan of our D specs atm..
To me L.Brown looks like a bust he has great skill but i dont see any drive in his game. I also think c white will be a great 2nd line center to come but even if he doesnt pan out he will be atleast a solid 3rd line C (pageau type)

Down the middle: (Solid)
(Draft 1C)
White
Norris
Pinto

Defense: (very strong)

Chabot Branstron
JBD Thomson
Wolanin zaitsev

I do believe branstrom chabot is an excellent pairing fron the little ive seen those two together so far and although JBD and Thompson arent flashy they are great roll players and can play a shutdown line together and could be very effective

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad