Speculation: 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You guys keep talking as though it was an option to keep them. None of them wanted to stick around. Stone said it post game. They were not going to re-sign here.
I was at the LVK game so missed any kind of post game statement he made. What did he say?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
PlayerGPGAPTS+/-PIM
Batherson331328412024
Norris40211738412
Formenton39201232838
Abramov291513281318
Balcers1981725176
L. Brown1541620920
Brannstrom1211112816
Jaros2411011134
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Future looks bright

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
20Pts in 15AHL games

his development is looking exactly like this guys
Mark Stone Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

The above player had 8Pts in 19NHL games at 21

Brown has 8Pts in 21games in the nhl this year at 21

blows my mind
Meh I dont see it with him,he doesnt seem to have the drive to succeed ...At his size he should be wrecking guys and owning the boards down low,but he seems far too timid...Hopefully Iam wrong but he strikes me as a huge marshmallow ,unwilling to get his nose dirty

Reactions: Crosside

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Meh I dont see it with him,he doesnt seem to have the drive to succeed ...At his size he should be wrecking guys and owning the boards down low,but he seems far too timid...Hopefully Iam wrong but he strikes me as a huge marshmallow ,unwilling to get his nose dirty
The nhl is not a hitting league anymore...

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The nhl is not a hitting league anymore...
Yeah but at his size he cant get wrestled off the puck as easily as he has been at the NHL level,I guess I dont like his battle and work in the dirty areas....His skill is there for sure,but he needs to be more greasy to be effective,because he will never be elusive and speedy at that size

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah but at his size he cant get wrestled off the puck as easily as he has been at the NHL level,I guess I dont like his battle and work in the dirty areas....His skill is there for sure,but he needs to be more greasy to be effective,because he will never be elusive and speedy at that size

I guess you are being impatient
I look at guys like Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes, Mark Stone, etc at the same age and they were no better then Brown is now

hell Hayes and Wheeler were not even PPG players yet at the NCAA level at the same age

literally skates through an entire team

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I guess you are being impatient
I look at guys like Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes, Mark Stone, etc at the same age and they were no better then Brown is now

hell Hayes and Wheeler were not even PPG players yet at the NCAA level at the same age
Iam not being impatient ,I see the skill ,but I also see the warts....I hope Iam wrong ,but havent seen a big scared player grow into being a big nasty one ever...And this is what LB needs to be able to use his skill set at this level

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Iam not being impatient ,I see the skill ,but I also see the warts....I hope Iam wrong ,but havent seen a big scared player grow into being a big nasty one ever...And this is what LB needs to be able to use his skill set at this level

The big hope with Brown is this is a strength and conditioning thing. It's well documented that he wasn't anywhere near a weight room for a long time. I agree that he gets moved off the puck too easily at the NHL level. One summer of hard workouts (last summer) isn't going to change that. Let's see what thus summer and the next do to change that.

His dad was born in 66 and played in an era where the conditioning was far different. I suspect he is coming from way behind the field wrt strength training. Lets see how he does if / when he catches up

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

I think money is a fairly big motivator and if Brown is a 60 point player by the time he hits ufa age he’s looking at a 7x7

you think Brown is not going to want 50+ million dollars

he’s going to put up points for sure

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The big hope with Brown is this is a strength and conditioning thing. It's well documented that he wasn't anywhere near a weight room for a long time. I agree that he gets moved off the puck too easily at the NHL level. One summer of hard workouts (last summer) isn't going to change that. Let's see what thus summer and the next do to change that.

His dad was born in 66 and played in an era where the conditioning was far different. I suspect he is coming from way behind the field wrt strength training. Lets see how he does if / when he catches up
Like I have said I hope Iam wrong,but it just strikes me as this kid has relied on his size in junior to open up his skill...But the NHL is full of huge players that will do anything to take the puck from you,and he looks outclassed...

Him getting into the gym for sure is a start,but you have to have the courage and the willingness to get to those dirty areas ...I see it in spades with BT,but with LB I see a scared big kid

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
DB795C5B-E90A-4954-BCE4-B74C437FAC8C.jpeg

Who’s who?

What I think is happening with Brown is the adjustment to the speed of the NHL. It’s a huge learning curve.

He clearly has all world talent, as seen above, but he as looked soft out there, like he’s floating. I myself have often wondered if he’s not trying hard enough or he doesn’t have the drive.

But that’s just stupid. Kid played with Brady at 12 years old. No one wants to play in the AHL their entire career when a childhood buddy is crushing it in the Pro’s.

Once his brain stops following the play and he starts anticipating it better he will create much more and become the player we all hoped.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think money is a fairly big motivator and if Brown is a 60 point player by the time he hits ufa age he’s looking at a 7x7

I would think long and hard about taking a puck in the face for league min.....Lol

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
View attachment 310761

Who’s who?

What I think is happening with Brown is the adjustment to the speed of the NHL. It’s a huge learning curve.

He clearly has all world talent, as seen above, but he as looked soft out there, like he’s floating. I myself have often wondered if he’s not trying hard enough or he doesn’t have the drive.

But that’s just stupid. Kid played with Brady at 12 years old. No one wants to play in the AHL their entire career when a childhood buddy is crushing it in the Pro’s.

Once his brain stops following the play and he starts anticipating it better he will create much more and become the player we all hoped.
I hope ,Iam not asking for a Getzlaf here...But he needs more jam

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I hope ,Iam not asking for a Getzlaf here...But he needs more jam

Think is he’s never going to have jam. But that’s not why we drafted him.

He’s Spezza lite. Abysmal on the back check even though positionally sound, but a play making wizard with the right line mates and a little time and space.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
QWard's List is telling. All of Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, LBrown, Chlapik, Abramov and Pinto are going to get a serious look on the Forward end, as will Jaros , Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Thomson and maybe Alsing on the Defensive side. Wolanin added to the mix as well. Plus if we do get a high Draft pick or two, they will be of interest. Going to be a crowded roster selection over the next few years if and 2nds and others turn out from this draft. Its more than a full roster right there with the holdovers from this year.

I am expecting holdovers to be Tkachuk, Duclair, CBrown Pageau, White, Paul as forwards and Chabot, Wolanin, Reilly, DeMelo on the backend, with others possible if contracts are not sorted out or trades/buyouts engineered. Boro is a wildcard, as is Sabourin.

Trades to be Hainsey, Zaitsev, plus Tierney, Namestnikov, Anisimov, Ennis. Buyouts to be Boedker and Ryan.

Nilsson and Hogberg are set, with Daccord going to push. Mandolese and Sogard will also be looking for some Belleville time, pushing Gustavson.

The Plan has to be established and followed critically. There is a lot of talent to consider.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, it hasn't just been one summer, back in 2016 when we drafted him the whole "kept away from the gym by his dad" thing was past tense, and it was being touted that he had made big strides in the gym the prior summer at that point. And it's not like his dad was preventing him from going on the treadmill or exercise bikes, he just didn't have him lifting weights. You can bet that conditioning was still very much something encouraged by his father and he just worked on his strength by different means than weight lifting.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Teams gonna be bad for a long time. Lots of high picks over the next 5 years.

Gosh, your takes often makes me want to start gambling. Depending on who they get with their (most likely) 2 top-10 picks in the upcoming stacked draft, this team could become good kinda soon (financial support would be needed though)

Top-5 pick 2020 ?
Top-10 pick 2020 ?
3 second round picks 2020

+
Tkachuk
Batherson
Duclair
Norris
L. Brown
Formenton
Balcers
White
Abramov
Pinto
Paul/Chlapik/Crookshank/Gruden/Novak/Veronneau/Davidsson/Kelly+++

+
Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
JBD
Jaros/Lajoie/Alsing/Tychonick/Guenette

+
Hogberg/Daccord/Sogaard/Gustavsson/Mandolese

Other young-ish assets the team currently has who could stick around (or be traded for more picks/prospects) : Pageau, C. Brown, Tierney, Zaitsev, DeMelo, Reilly, Nilsson

The Sens are going to be extremely rich in quality young assets after this draft. It's going to be very hard to stay bad for 5 more years. Melnyk would have to be very creative

Brown (much like Spezza for exanple), will always "look lazy", his body + the way he skates will do that when watching on TV.

Problem right now for Brown is he hasn't fully picked up the NHL pace, which is a notch above the AHL. Everytime you go up a level in hockey, it becomes a bit faster. He is still 21, let him gain more pro experience, I think he will figure it out eventually and his level of success in the NHL will depend on how much he picks it up.

This is the best league in the world we're talking about, the level is so high that very rarely young players come in and dominate. And Logan Brown was always going to be a long-term project.

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I like brown but nothing right now suggests he’s going to get that kind of money. I’d be very happy if he did because it would mean he’s a star

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gosh, your takes often makes me want to start gambling. Depending on who they get with their (most likely) 2 top-10 picks in the upcoming stacked draft, this team could become good kinda soon (financial support would be needed though)

Top-5 pick 2020 ?
Top-10 pick 2020 ?
3 second round picks 2020

+
Tkachuk
Batherson
Duclair
Norris
L. Brown
Formenton
Balcers
White
Abramov
Pinto
Paul/Chlapik/Crookshank/Gruden/Novak/Veronneau/Davidsson/Kelly+++

+
Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
JBD
Jaros/Lajoie/Alsing/Tychonick/Guenette

+
Hogberg/Daccord/Sogaard/Gustavsson/Mandolese

Other young-ish assets the team currently has who could stick around (or be traded for more picks/prospects) : Pageau, C. Brown, Tierney, Zaitsev, DeMelo, Reilly, Nilsson

The Sens are going to be extremely rich in quality young assets after this draft. It's going to be very hard to stay bad for 5 more years. Melnyk would have to be very creative

Brown (much like Spezza for exanple), will always "look lazy", his body + the way he skates will do that when watching on TV.

Problem right now for Brown is he hasn't fully picked up the NHL pace, which is a notch above the AHL. Everytime you go up a level in hockey, it becomes a bit faster. He is still 21, let him gain more pro experience, I think he will figure it out eventually and his level of success in the NHL will depend on how much he picks it up.

This is the best league in the world we're talking about, the level is so high that very rarely young players come in and dominate. And Logan Brown was always going to be a long-term project.

agreed that 5 more years of “bad” seems to be too long.

I am in the “2 or 3 more years of bad” camp which hopefully will yield some top 5 picks to fill the pipeline with higher quality skill players and give the current prospects and picks this year more time to develop.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
What did Colin White get?

the money is their for the taking
That doesn’t matter, he has to first prove his worth in the NHL. If he has a decent year next year, the sense would try to sign him to a deal like whites but it wouldn’t be for 7x7, he would have to have a huge year for that to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad