Speculation: 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ouch, at 4,75 million and the promise of our version of Patrice Bergeron..You will have the most expensive 3rd line center out there.

Ya - I didn’t say I liked the contract :) ... I don’t see anyway we don’t end up with $8-10 mill of negative value on this contract.

I would currently rank him somewhere in the org’s 5th Line close with Chaplik. Most of Chaplik’s advances metrics are better. DJ is starting to reply on Chappy in higher leverage situations.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
A lot depends on how White is projected and how much leash Brown is going to get. Moving forward with some centre rotation of Brown, Norris, White, Chlapik requires development time to become dominant at their position. Add in the potential of a Byfield, Perfetti, Rossi Draft pick and the possibility of keeping Pageau means little to no room for the existing roster of centres (Tierney, etc) moving forward. Pageau is the best choice as a mentor and a leader for the younger group. 4 x 4.5 - 5M would be my guess and I’d be okay with it.
Even if we were able to add a Byfield level centre, it is not any guarantee they would immediately jump on to the roster.
I think Pageau is a key at this point to fill the role. If not him, then the development process, especially for White, will take more time

Reactions: tardigrade81

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A lot depends on how White is projected and how much leash Brown is going to get. Moving forward with some centre rotation of Brown, Norris, White, Chlapik requires development time to become dominant at their position. Add in the potential of a Byfield, Perfetti, Rossi Draft pick and the possibility of keeping Pageau means little to no room for the existing roster of centres (Tierney, etc) moving forward. Pageau is the best choice as a mentor and a leader for the younger group. 4 x 4.5 - 5M would be my guess and I’d be okay with it.
Even if we were able to add a Byfield level centre, it is not any guarantee they would immediately jump on to the roster.
I think Pageau is a key at this point to fill the role. If not him, then the development process, especially for White, will take more time

White is currently getting all the "leash" he needs and Brown is getting the short leash. I think we see a reset at camp next year and White will need to elevate his game or start losing some of the opportunities he has been gifted this year.

It is easy to argue that Pager, Tierney, Names, Chaplik, Brown, Norris and possibly a 2020 2-3 OA pick represent better options at C than White for 2020-21. Really, any replacement level player could bump him based of this season.

I hope he builds some confidence down the stretch and gets some good advice from the team for an off season developmental program. I think he lacks overall strength, play making, puck protection, and puck handling skills. Based of his interviews last off season he focused on his strength which is skating.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Well said.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
White is currently getting all the "leash" he needs and Brown is getting the short leash. I think we see a reset at camp next year and White will need to elevate his game or start losing some of the opportunities he has been gifted this year.

It is easy to argue that Pager, Tierney, Names, Chaplik, Brown, Norris and possibly a 2020 2-3 OA pick represent better options at C than White for 2020-21. Really, any replacement level player could bump him based of this season.

I hope he builds some confidence down the stretch and gets some good advice from the team for an off season developmental program. I think he lacks overall strength, play making, puck protection, and puck handling skills. Based of his interviews last off season he focused on his strength which is skating.
Following along, if we did sign a Pageau and Duclair, maybe Paul, as has been suggested, these would probably need to be on the protected list for the Seattle draft. White could well be exposed with the 7 3 1 formula.
Tkachuk, Pageau, Duclair, Brown, Brown (?), Batherson, eat up a lot of the numbers. There are some pretty good names not on that list that will be considered. Personally I think Seattle targets Daccord, but if White were somehow there ...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Following along, if we did sign a Pageau and Duclair, maybe Paul, as has been suggested, these would probably need to be on the protected list for the Seattle draft. White could well be exposed with the 7 3 1 formula.
Tkachuk, Pageau, Duclair, Brown, Brown (?), Batherson, eat up a lot of the numbers. There are some pretty good names not on that list that will be considered. Personally I think Seattle targets Daccord, but if White were somehow there ...

Good point - exposing White is definitely option if we don’t see any development towards the end of next year. The buy out numbers aren’t too bad on him either.

I think we would have to pick up or have 1-2 forwards emerge that need protection but it is a nice additional layer of protection against that contract.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
pretty much guarantee 1 of our first rounders is in the NHL next year.

Im guessing our lineup will be

Lafreniere (insert any o the top forward in the draft) tierney duclair

tkatchuk Brown batherson

balcers white C Brown

vet chlapik vet

Chabot Demelo

wolanin zaitsez

hainsey brannstrom

nillson hogberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad