2021/2022 Fantasy Draft Discussion Thread

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Without turning this into too much of a theoretical exercise (which I admittedly tend to do), I am interested in what others are trying to do with their lineups.

My thoughts
  • It is impossible to build a Tampa/Colorado type team (all of Hedman, Point, Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Stamkos are typically gone in round 1 and 2; the same with MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog)
  • Given that, I used NYI as an approximate model (a lot of hockey media and posters here have argued that the Islanders were the closest to Tampa this playoff)
  • An emphasis on two-way play, especially penalty-killing was my goal
  • Finding a good mix of young players (with potential to find another level this coming season) and veteran players with consistent performance for several years
  • Trying to determine complementary lines/pairings
  • Using subjective (award voting) and objective (GF/GA 60, SHG, PIM) measures to validate the best picks after the first few rounds

Reactions: Nucker101

DatsyukianDekes13

May 22, 2020
  • Any player who had a contract for the 2020-2021 season
This is what it says under eligible players. Even a rookie like Seider had a contract for the 2020-21 season, so would any expiring UFA. Raymond however, signed a couple months ago I believe. Capfriendly doesnt have him listed as having a contract for 2020/21. Up to HN I guess, but I thought he wasnt eligible or else I would have picked him.

"The Detroit Red Wings today signed left wing Lucas Raymond to a three-year entry-level contract beginning with the 2021-22 season". This is what I found, just for extra clarification on when it starts. I dont think Raymond is eligible, unless I am missing something.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Without turning this into too much of a theoretical exercise (which I admittedly tend to do), I am interested in what others are trying to do with their lineups.

My thoughts
  • It is impossible to build a Tampa/Colorado type team (all of Hedman, Point, Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Stamkos are typically gone in round 1 and 2; the same with MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog)
  • Given that, I used NYI as an approximate model (a lot of hockey media and posters here have argued that the Islanders were the closest to Tampa this playoff)
  • An emphasis on two-way play, especially penalty-killing was my goal
  • Finding a good mix of young players (with potential to find another level this coming season) and veteran players with consistent performance for several years
  • Trying to determine complementary lines/pairings
  • Using subjective (award voting) and objective (GF/GA 60, SHG, PIM) measures to validate the best picks after the first few rounds

SHG and PIMs can hardly determine which picks were good in the 1st round.

Look at useful things like points, xGF%, etc.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
SHG and PIMs can hardly determine which picks were good in the 1st round.

Look at useful things like points, xGF%, etc.

Those are bad too. Best resource is the Goat's final ranking. Predicted the winner and finalist every year, and also got teams in the playoffs that were obviously better but missed due to politics. Next season always reveals this

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Those are bad too. Best resource is the Goat's final ranking. Predicted the winner and finalist every year, and also got teams in the playoffs that were obviously better but missed due to politics. Next season always reveals this
xgf% on its own is flawed, but it's good to look at if you know what else to look at for context, plus you need to account for things like actual playmaking/shooting talent.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
bobrovsky never gone more than two seasons without rebounding. did it in 12-13 and 16-17, gonna do it in 21-22. not even carey price age yet.

I know some of you meme him, but he's goaltender with highest legitimate upside available at this point

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
bobrovsky never gone more than two seasons without rebounding. did it in 12-13 and 16-17, gonna do it in 21-22. not even carey price age yet.

I know some of you meme him, but he's goaltender with highest legitimate upside available at this point

DeSmith better
Gustavsson

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
as discussed on discord, real life GM's are dumb af

we would have cancelled that risto trade, Buch trade and others for being too f***ing awful and unrealistic

we also wouldn't have signed #4s like Oleksiak to a $4.6mx4 deal or a third liner like Goodrow to $3.6mx6

Reactions: ujju2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
as discussed on discord, real life GM's are dumb af

we would have cancelled that risto trade, Buch trade and others for being too f***ing awful and unrealistic

we also wouldn't have signed #4s like Oleksiak to a $4.6mx4 deal or a third liner like Goodrow to $3.6mx6
For real coming from someone that watched both of these guys closely dating back to their junior days....

Nick Paul > Barclay Goodrow

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
plus if you dive into it, Bobrovsky performed at the same level as Markstrom last season and nobody here is dumb enough to write off Markstrom so you have to assume people in this game are smart enough to not discount Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad