2020 Weather Thread.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
These are so hard to get started. seems like the people that got large bushes, those withstand and keep coming. We have ours for years and then something or other starts killing it. In regards to Peony they seem to bloom for a brief time and then just look ugly. Far prefer easy annuals like Petunias, always in bloom. I can't do anything with tulips either.

We got rid of all our fairy rings and not a big one coming back due to all the friggen rain. Soap water seems to treat that nicely without killing the grass. Some people use boiling water which can kill the grass..
Ours are quite large and flowers turned shit brown and just crumbled.
They looked nice for a week and then horrible. Sucks cause they are right out front.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ours are quite large and flowers turned shit brown and just crumbled.
They looked nice for a week and then horrible. Sucks cause they are right out front.

Mocking my plight I can go up and down the block and people have huge bushes of peonies that seem to bloom for a month. With ours I can count the days. About 2 days where ours are photogenic. One week before they look like deplorable drooping things.

I just looked up a tulip site out of curiosity. Apparently in our climate zone to be able to grow these things you have to ignore basically every recommendation on package they are sold in and do something else instead. Um, f***, it, I don't like them that much. Tulips being another labor intensive plant that only blooms briefly.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mocking my plight I can go up and down the block and people have huge bushes of peonies that seem to bloom for a month. With ours I can count the days. About 2 days where ours are photogenic. One week before they look like deplorable drooping things.

I just looked up a tulip site out of curiosity. Apparently in our climate zone to be able to grow these things you have to ignore basically every recommendation on package they are sold in and do something else instead. Um, f***, it, I don't like them that much. Tulips being another labor intensive plant that only blooms briefly.
I'd love a nice pollinating flower that isn't finicky as hell. I actually liked seeing the bumble bees out front. Nice to see signs of positive life lol

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Just transplanted a little thing...to the left of the guard cat.
Just for fun.

437FE00F-B819-4F12-903E-A1D034A835FB.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd love a nice pollinating flower that isn't finicky as hell. I actually liked seeing the bumble bees out front. Nice to see signs of positive life lol

We have some variation of bleeding hearts with blooms all over the place that the bees love. These things self seed like nuts and nuclear detonation might not stop them once they get started. Trouble is the ones we have, they're like weeds, not sure of the species name.

I should just seed these mutant plants all over the lawn to kill the dandelions. They grow like 6ft high though so kids would get lost..

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
We have some variation of bleeding hearts with blooms all over the place that the bees love. These things self seed like nuts and nuclear detonation might not stop them once they get started. Trouble is the ones we have, they're like weeds, not sure of the species name.

I should just seed these mutant plants all over the lawn to kill the dandelions. They grow like 6ft high though so kids would get lost..

and the nettles are out in full force now

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Not sure what to make of this post. So Alberta has the worst weather on the planet because of one citation about a Siberian town, posted twice for substantiation..

Myself I don't mind the weather here, also due to the north no poisonous snakes, murderous species of insects, few poisonous spiders, very little vermin of any kind, but then again I don't live in Calgary.

The first link should have been this. The Weather Network - July outlook: Sizzling in the east, struggling in the west

Perhaps I'm getting old and the nice warm sunny days just call to me more often. I love Alberta.. the people, the places, etc.

But god it seems like we can never manage a run of good weather for a few days. Bad weather comes in weeks.. this last week has been a f***ing recreational/lake disaster.
Just gets a bit depressing seeing the east bask in heat and sun while we get unseasonably cool for a month with an extra dose of rain.

Reactions: TB12

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
The first link should have been this. The Weather Network - July outlook: Sizzling in the east, struggling in the west

Perhaps I'm getting old and the nice warm sunny days just call to me more often. I love Alberta.. the people, the places, etc.

But god it seems like we can never manage a run of good weather for a few days. Bad weather comes in weeks.. this last week has been a f***ing recreational/lake disaster.
Just gets a bit depressing seeing the east bask in heat and sun while we get unseasonably cool for a month with an extra dose of rain.

Just wait until 2030 when a new weather cycle arrives and we will receive plenty of heat and dry conditions again.

:laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh. I'm very active. Anything above 10C is fine outside for me working, exercising, walking, hiking, anything above 15C starts becoming t shirt and shorts weather. Anything around 30C is too hot to do anything weather.

We have a perfect climate for activity, which perfectly fits a working province.

I've never been the pull up a lawnchair and lay down for hours type so the temps suit me real well. Similarly my Ideal indoor temp is not over 20C.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
meh. I'm very active. Anything above 10C is fine outside for me working, exercising, walking, hiking, anything above 15C starts becoming t shirt and shorts weather. Anything around 30C is too hot to do anything weather.

We have a perfect climate for activity, which perfectly fits a working province.

I've never been the pull up a lawnchair and lay down for hours type so the temps suit me real well. Similarly my Ideal indoor temp is not over 20C.

I think you missed the intent of the post in your hurry to explain how you like it. I actually went out of the way to say it's probably perfectly acceptable for a lot of people. Like you pointed out about yourself.

It was about the change in weather that seems to be hitting the province in the last few years.. We're getting wet and cool while the rest of the planet is heating up.

I'm sure everyone has their own sense of what they like and for me.. summers of 15-20c with a ton of rain isn't my thing. So I guess I'll say it again... in my opinion Alberta is the anus of the world when it comes to weather. The summers are cooling off, spring and fall come with wind, and our sunshine hours (which was this provinces trump card for summer weather) seem to be declining recently due to rain and smoke. I never felt this way 5-6 years ago. So perhaps it's just me getting old is all.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Accepted an invite to go golfing this morning (Ravencrest), and man, am I ever glad that I did. Absolutely gorgeous, nothing but sunshine, and a nice light breeze. We don't seem to get many days like this anymore, so I really enjoyed it and soaked it all in.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Accepted an invite to go golfing this morning (Ravencrest), and man, am I ever glad that I did. Absolutely gorgeous, nothing but sunshine, and a nice light breeze. We don't seem to get many days like this anymore, so I really enjoyed it and soaked it all in.

Weather looks different tomorrow and wednesday with a potential to see golf-ball hail between Edmonton and Red Deer and over another inch of rain in the Edmonton area.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Possible major day in weather today in Saskatchewan:

11:14 AM CST Tuesday 07 July 2020
Tornado watch in effect for:
  • R.M. of Canaan including Lucky Lake
  • R.M. of Coulee including Neidpath and McMahon
  • R.M. of Excelsior including Waldeck Rush Lake and Main Centre
  • R.M. of Glen Bain including Glen Bain
  • R.M. of Lac Pelletier including Blumenhof
  • R.M. of Lacadena including Kyle Tyner and Sanctuary
  • R.M. of Lawtonia including Hodgeville
  • R.M. of Morse including Herbert Morse Ernfold and Gouldtown
  • R.M. of Riverside including Cabri Pennant and Success
  • R.M. of Saskatchewan Landing including Stewart Valley
  • R.M. of Swift Current including Swift Current and Wymark
  • R.M. of Victory including Beechy
  • R.M. of Webb including Webb and Antelope lake
  • R.M. of Whiska Creek including Vanguard Neville and Pambrun
Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms which may produce tornadoes.

Severe thunderstorms will develop in the late afternoon and will initially be discrete before coalescing into a line in the evening and overnight period. During the initial convective period, as these storms are discrete, there will be an enhanced risk for tornadoes to form with these severe thunderstorms. There is the risk for a long track tornado with the development of these supercells.

This is a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation.

Be prepared for severe weather. Take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches.

In the event of a tornado, or if a tornado warning is issued for your area, it is recommended you take the following actions: Go indoors to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, such as a basement, bathroom, stairwell or interior closet. Leave mobile homes, vehicles, tents, trailers and other temporary or free-standing shelter, and move to a strong building if you can. As a last resort, lie in a low spot and protect your head from flying debris. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!

Tornado watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #SKStorm.

See what happens.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
1:24 PM MDT Tuesday 07 July 2020
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
  • Beaver Co. near Holden and Ryley
  • Beaver Co. near Tofield
  • Camrose Co. near Bawlf and Rosalind
  • Camrose Co. near Camrose and Bittern Lake
  • Camrose Co. near Hay Lakes and Miquelon Lake Prov. Park
  • Camrose Co. near New Norway Edberg and Ferintosh
  • Co. of Wetaskiwin near Wetaskiwin Millet and Hwy 2
  • Flagstaff Co. near Daysland Heisler and Strome
  • Leduc Co. near Leduc Beaumont and Kavanagh
  • Leduc Co. near New Sarepta and Rolly View
  • Strathcona Co. near Ardrossan and Cooking Lake
Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain.
Intense lightning is likely with any thunderstorm that develops. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes. Be prepared for severe weather. Take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors! If you hear thunder, then lightning is close enough to be dangerous.

Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
1:24 PM MDT Tuesday 07 July 2020
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
  • Beaver Co. near Holden and Ryley
  • Beaver Co. near Tofield
  • Camrose Co. near Bawlf and Rosalind
  • Camrose Co. near Camrose and Bittern Lake
  • Camrose Co. near Hay Lakes and Miquelon Lake Prov. Park
  • Camrose Co. near New Norway Edberg and Ferintosh
  • Co. of Wetaskiwin near Wetaskiwin Millet and Hwy 2
  • Flagstaff Co. near Daysland Heisler and Strome
  • Leduc Co. near Leduc Beaumont and Kavanagh
  • Leduc Co. near New Sarepta and Rolly View
  • Strathcona Co. near Ardrossan and Cooking Lake
Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain.
Intense lightning is likely with any thunderstorm that develops. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes. Be prepared for severe weather. Take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors! If you hear thunder, then lightning is close enough to be dangerous.

Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

Darn Saskatchewan must be right in the tug of war of Cool wet Alberta/BC and Hot dry Eastern Canada. Stay safe!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad