2020 USports Playoffs

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I also woudn't short sell UdeM. I'm sure they will compete hard against the Huskies.
IMO, they have the edge between the pipes and SMU has the edge in skill.

Without question, Montpetit is an excellent goalie. But, he is 1 - 5 against SMU including 2 games where he was pulled after 4 & 5 goals. His only win was the 6-1 debacle; the night after SMU beat UNB. Not wanting to take anything away from UdeM, but methinks SMU was a tad overconfident.

I'm going with SMU in 2. There, I said it......

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
AUS
UNB in 2 over Acadia
SMU in 2 over Moncton
OUA
Ottawa in 3 over Concordia
Guelph in 3 over Western
Queens cup: Ottawa over Guelph
Bronze medal game: Concordia over Western
CW
USask in 2 over UBC

#1 - UNB
#2 - USask
#3 - Ottawa
#4 - Guelph
#5 - ACD
#6 - UBC
#7 - SMU (#8 on ranking, but swapped)
#8 - Concordia (#7 on ranking, but swapped)

In this scenario, ACD would advance to play UNB. I would prefer them as #6, but their ELO is 105 points ahead of UBC and that's too far in-front to drop below UBC. Swapping teams was intended to avoid 'known' 1st round opponents, not for looking 'down the road'.

Concordia is currently 114 ELO points ahead of SMU, but the Operations Manual does give the Seeding Committee the latitude to swap them to avoid UNB/SMU in Rd 1 and Concordia's ELO would drop a bit if they lose the OUA-East series and SMU's would increase by winning the AUS-Bronze series - so they would be closer in strength.

Upsets
I don't think ACD over UNB would be a 'big' surprise, but would change the ladder a bit.
However, UBC over USK would be a huge upset and would blow-up my ladder completely.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
AUS
UNB in 2 over Acadia
SMU in 2 over Moncton
OUA
Ottawa in 3 over Concordia
Guelph in 3 over Western
Queens cup: Ottawa over Guelph
Bronze medal game: Concordia over Western
CW
USask in 2 over UBC

#1 - UNB
#2 - USask
#3 - Ottawa
#4 - Guelph
#5 - ACD
#6 - UBC
#7 - SMU (#8 on ranking, but swapped)
#8 - Concordia (#7 on ranking, but swapped)

In this scenario, ACD would advance to play UNB. I would prefer them as #6, but their ELO is 105 points ahead of UBC and that's too far in-front to drop below UBC. Swapping teams was intended to avoid 'known' 1st round opponents, not for looking 'down the road'.

Concordia is currently 114 ELO points ahead of SMU, but the Operations Manual does give the Seeding Committee the latitude to swap them to avoid UNB/SMU in Rd 1 and Concordia's ELO would drop a bit if they lose the OUA-East series and SMU's would increase by winning the AUS-Bronze series - so they would be closer in strength.

Upsets
I don't think ACD over UNB would be a 'big' surprise, but would change the ladder a bit.
However, UBC over USK would be a huge upset and would blow-up my ladder completely.

Good synopsis. So the groups are (1-8, 4-5) and (2-7, 3-6)?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
No, I'm in Louisiana on Central time. Heading home on Tues or Wed.

Good luck Tomorrow night.
USK wins 3-2 over UBC.
According to UBC's coach, "Friday was a travel day and that they started slow out of the gate". After giving up a 2-0 lead, they played much better in the second and third period. Shots were like 32-21, so much closer than the Alberta series, that saw the Bears outshoot the T-Birds by a wide margin.
We'll have to see if the Birds have any magic left in game 2, tonight.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Ottawa off to queens cup
And more importantly off to the University Cup......
For Concordia, who had been playing well (win over Carelton) they get a second chance.
Question for the OUA guys. The Quebec teams can't host the Queeens cup, but I think they can host the bronze medal game? They would host over a possible match up with Western, more pts in regular season, but not sure against Guelph? That series is tied 1-1, after Western's win on home ice Saturday.Game 3 goes today, in Guelph.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Pretty sure the bronze medal game is hosted by the better team, regardless.
Correct - bronze medal game can be hosted in Quebec.
If Western advances to the Queen's Cup, Guelph will host Concordia in the bronze game. If Guelph wins today, Western will travel to Montreal for the bronze game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Has anyone taken in a game at the Western Mustang's Thompson arena? Watching some of the game yesterday I realized it is in a field house that can be converted for indoor track and field events. Very unique but I don't know what the experience would be like for hockey. Saw lots of people standing around the glass opposite the bleachers. Wonder if they have to pay to get in? Or it just those who purchase seats?

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I got my undergraduate degree from Western in the mid-80’s and have watched dozens of games over the years. Thompson Arena opened in 1973 and at the time was a great multi-purpose facility. On entry, to the right was the rink, and to the left was 4 curling sheets (great entertainment during intermissions as there was a centre concourse with glass looking in on the curling). The portion of the building to the left, including the curling rink, was demolished about 12 years ago and made into a modern fitness facility for students, which today is still top notch.

The hockey arena portion of the building does indeed have a track around the rink. This is used for indoor track and field, with the ice covered for the field events. On the camera side of the stands is permanent seating for about 400, with portable bleachers at the lower level that extend out over the track. The camera side seats about 700-800. On the opposite (west) side of the camera are huge banks of retracted portable bleachers. In the 80s and 90s when the Stangs made the playoffs, these would be pulled out and mostly filled. They don’t seem to have anywhere near that following now and these seem to now only get pulled out for high school games. The area you mention, behind the net on the south side, is a bit of a beer garden (used to be portable seating there too). You do need a ticket to sit there.

When I attended capacity was listed at about 5100, but I think it’s under 4000 now. It is not a great atmosphere for watching a game, unless the west side bleachers are out and full. One of the reasons they moved their home games to the John Labatt Centre (now Budweiser Gardens) for a couple of seasons back around 2007.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Gryphons score three in the third to punch their ticket to the Nationals. They will host Ottawa on Saturday for the Queens Cup. Concordia will host Western for third place.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Gryphons score three in the third to punch their ticket to the Nationals. They will host Ottawa on Saturday for the Queens Cup. Concordia will host Western for third place.

The dance card for Halifax is filling up. 2 teams to go.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Good synopsis. So the groups are (1-8, 4-5) and (2-7, 3-6)?

Yup.

With ACD the likely #5 on Friday night vs #4 GPH, UNB would be in the afternoon playing CON. I would see USK/SMU on Thursday night (time change and a better draw with SMU in the evening) and OTT/UBC in the afternoon.

Saturday would be USK/OTT in the afternoon and UNB/ACD in the evening (this would be a huge draw).

UNB vs USK for gold, a rematch of 2017 (if top seeds advance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad