2020 USports Playoffs

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In the regulations it says the results of regional playoffs must be respected. I’ve always taken that to mean a conference’s 3rd place team couldn’t be ranked ahead of another’s 2nd place team...and that has been consistent at previous tournaments.

However, maybe it simply means you can’t rank a conference’s 3rd place team ahead of its 2nd place team ie/ SMU ahead of Acadia.

I think it’s the former though.

It will be interesting to see how much the ELO ratings are taken into account. Not sure how it has worked for the other sports...

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Disagree - if ELO is to be the guide - it will be UBC.
You are correct, if they use the ELO ranking system, but the organizing comittee are going to make some changes. We know that they will slot in SMU Thursday night and the Axemen will open Friday night.
UNB being #1 ranked should open Thursday afternoon, but If they are grouped in a pool with Acadia, they will likely open Friday afternoon. Acadia may have a better shot, avoiding UNB, until a possible gold medal match?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don’t think the host committee can massage the seeds to the point of actively trying to avoid certain match-ups....that hurts the integrity of the tournament.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If you haven't seen it the seeding is out:

UNB - USK - GUE - OTT - ACA - SMU - UWO - UBC.

1-8, 4-5 in Friday pool.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
More like 12 to 8 since SMU got a 10-minute misconduct.

Not saying it's totally the ref's fault, but when you call a bogus delay of game penalty that results in the tying goal, than let go a buch of stuff in both overtime periods then end up calling something not quite as obvious as stuff that was let go, it gets people talking.

We had more than enough chances, as did SMU. We hit 2 posts, they missed a couple open nets where somehow one of our players deflected it.

It's just a pain in the butt when the referee's seem to feel they need to provide a show (and especially a certain linesman).

Not totally, no, just like 99% their fault, oh they need to put on a show, these certified refs who are monitored, OHhhhhhhh....that's it... Now I get it. 12-8, Seriously? misconducts don't count? you mean Joel Bishop, out for 10 minutes is no matter?

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I never like pulling the goalie to make it 6 on 4, especially with over 4 mins left, you rarely see it work out. Now, to go 5 on 3, less bodies, I am all for it, just find too many bodies out there and the penalized team has a free shot at the goal. Mind you, someone might find stats to contradict my thinking.
It was a great series, both goalies are capable of stealing a game, and you might have gotten a preview of the gold medal game at the nationals (not sure if it is possible or not, but wouldn't be disappointed if it was a rematch)
I don't know the statistics either, but the fact that most NHL teams (who rely very heavily now on analytics) will pull the goalie in those situations with 4 minutes left leaves me to believe that statistically it is the right move.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
In the regulations it says the results of regional playoffs must be respected. ... I think it’s the former though.

I think originally the intent was to keep Conf Runner-ups ahead of wildcards (in the old pool system). I agree that the wording implies keeping Runner-ups ahead of other conference 3rd place teams. However, with the 'all on board' the ELO train they have gone - hard to take UBC at 1500 ELO and move them to 6th when you've been drinking the ELO Kool-aid all season.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I don't know the statistics either, but the fact that most NHL teams (who rely very heavily now on analytics) will pull the goalie in those situations with 4 minutes left leaves me to believe that statistically it is the right move.

Burns did consider putting Flodell back in prior to the face-off with 18secs left, but with Flodell behind the bench - it wasn't a quick personnel change and he decided to wait-and-see. Soon after Simpson scores.

When UNB is winning 50+% of face-offs, it's a tough call especially with a free pass on icings due to being a man short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad