2020 USports Playoffs

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Thanks to Steve Knowles, here is the USports 2020 playoff schedule for the quarter-finals.

ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY SPORT (AUS) QUARTER-FINALS (Best-of-Three)
Wednesday, February 12 to Sunday, February 16

SERIES A
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Prince Edward Island at Saint Mary's (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 14: Saint Mary's at Prince Edward Island (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Prince Edward Island at Saint Mary's (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES B
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: St. Francis Xavier at Moncton (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 14: Moncton at St. Francis Xavier (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: St. Francis Xavier at Moncton (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

ONTARIO UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS (OUA) QUARTER-FINALS (Best-of-Three)
Wednesday, February 12 to Sunday, February 16

SERIES A
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Royal Military College at Carleton (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Thursday, February 13: Carleton at Royal Military College (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Saturday, February 14: Royal Military College at Carleton (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES B
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Trois-Rivieres at Queen's (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Queen's at Trois-Rivieres (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Trois-Rivieres at Queen's (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES C
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Ottawa at Ontario Tech (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Ontario Tech at Ottawa (3:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Ontario Tech at Ottawa (3:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES D
Game 1 - Thursday, February 13: Concordia at McGill (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: McGill at Concordia (7:30 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Concordia at McGill (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES E
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Western at Toronto (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Toronto at Western (3:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Western at Toronto (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES F
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Ryerson at Lakehead (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Lakehead at Ryerson (7:15 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Lakehead at Ryerson (7:15 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES G
Game 1 - Thursday, February 13: Wilfrid Laurier at Guelph (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Guelph at Wilfrid Laurier (7:07 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Wilfrid Laurier at Guelph (7:30 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES H
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 12: Brock at Windsor (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 14: Windsor at Brock (7:15 pm)
Game 3 - Saturday, February 15: Brock at Windsor (7:30 pm) - If Necessary

CANADA WEST HOCKEY (CWH) QUARTER-FINALS (Best-of-Three)

Friday, February 14 to Sunday, February 16

SERIES A
Game 1 - Friday, February 14: Manitoba at Calgary (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: Manitoba at Calgary (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: Manitoba at Calgary (6:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES B
Game 1 - Friday, February 14: UBC at Mount Royal (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 15: UBC at Mount Royal (7:30 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 16: UBC at Mount Royal (7:30 pm) - If Necessary

Reactions: MiamiHockey

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS
Moncton 3-2 over ST FX (Moncton).
I was surprised to see Dixon in net for X, is Raymakers hurt?
Moncton was the better team last night, but won't be surprised if it goes 3.
SMU 5-4 over UPEI (Halifax).
The visiting Panthers tie it in the last minute, but turn around and give up the winner, with only 3 seconds left.
Both X and UPEI are now in a must win situation.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From my email:
Following are the U Sports Men's Ice Hockey playoff results from games of Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
Steve Knowles

Prince Edward Island 4 at Saint Mary's 5
St. Francis Xavier 2 at Moncton 3
Royal Military College 3 at Carleton 7
Trois-Rivieres 3 at Queen's 1
Ottawa 2 at Ontario Tech 1 (OT)
Western 2 at Toronto 6
Ryerson 4 at Lakehead 1
Brock 6 at Windsor 3

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The visiting Panthers tie it in the last minute, but turn around and give up the winner, with only 3 seconds left.

Yup - I watched that and couldn't believe it. UPEI had the puck and were trying to 'play it safe' and instead gave the puck-up to a fore-checking X forward, pass to the D-Man and bang - game is done. Had he kept it in the corner it would have been fine - just had to play footies with it.

Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Let's discuss the ridiculousness of Ryerson having to fly to Thunder Bay for one game, or UQTR bussing to Kingston for one game on a weekday ... and it could have been worse if UQTR had to face Laurentian / Nipissing.
The OUA should have the higher-seeded team host all 3 playoff games. Period.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Let's discuss the ridiculousness of Ryerson having to fly to Thunder Bay for one game, or UQTR bussing to Kingston for one game on a weekday ... and it could have been worse if UQTR had to face Laurentian / Nipissing.

I am also concerned about the AUS best-of-fives with multiple weeknight travel. Student athletes should be weekends only.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

thook

Jan 9, 2010

Absolutely not.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Absolutely not.

The OUA's current system is completely messed up, and does not sufficiently reward the higher-ranked team.
Shout out to the late Kelly Nobes for pointing this out to me.

Consider this:
UQTR's "reward" for finishing ahead of Queens in the standings is that they have to endure 10 hours on the bus (versus Queen's having to endure only 5 hours).

A more extreme example: when McGill played against Laurentian a few years ago, McGill had to endure a 12-hour trip to Sudbury for Game 1, while Laurentian sat at home. So, advantage to Laurentian in the first game of the series. Then, both teams had to travel to Montreal for Game 2. By the time Game 2 started, McGill had just spent 24 hours in busses over the past three days, whereas Laurentian only spent 12 hours. That's a huge advantage for Laurentian in the first two games. McGill couldn't eat, sleep, or practice properly, and missed three days of school.

Why should McGill's reward for finishing First have been a 12-hour trip to 8th-place Laurentian? Give us a good reason why Laurentian should have any reward for finishing Eighth beyond the chance at an upset in Montreal.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yup - I watched that and couldn't believe it. UPEI had the puck and were trying to 'play it safe' and instead gave the puck-up to a fore-checking X forward, pass to the D-Man and bang - game is done. Had he kept it in the corner it would have been fine - just had to play footies with it.

just checked it out on the archives. Terrible defensive play by the Panthers.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Why was the first game between UQTR and Queens played in Kingston? Unless UQTR has the next 2 home games ,if needed. Or is this another disadvantage to the Quebec based teams?
Pats were the higher seed, I think.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Why was the first game between UQTR and Queens played in Kingston? Unless UQTR has the next 2 home games ,if needed. Or is this another disadvantage to the Quebec based teams?
In series with excessive travel, the higher seed opens on the road, and then gets games 2-3 at home. I believe the cutoff is 350km between rinks, but the OUA regulations have a whole matrix that dictates this.
TL;DR: not a Quebec-thing.

Reactions: RED ARMY EAST

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
In series with excessive travel, the higher seed opens on the road, and then gets games 2-3 at home. I believe the cutoff is 350km between rinks, but the OUA regulations have a whole matrix that dictates this.
TL;DR: not a Quebec-thing.

This.

Explains why Ryerson had to travel to Thunder Bay for Game 1, despite being the higher seed.

In addition to helping the better teams get to the University Cup, changing the format would also decrease their level of fatigue.

Here's an example: looking back at the 2018 University Cup. In the month leading up to the UCup, McGill had to endure a 24-hour road trip to Sudbury and a 24-hour road trip to Brock, in addition to a shorter road trip to Ottawa. By contrast, Alberta had no travel, Saskatchewan had one trip (12 hours return to Alberta), and of course the AUS teams had nothing more than a couple of hours. McGill was gassed by the time they got there.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
OUA EAST
Carleton sweeps RMC
UQTR in the drivers seat, with games 2 and 3 if needed at home against Queens. Queens needed to win game 1 at home.
McGill and Ottawa can advance with wins in game 2.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I am also concerned about the AUS best-of-fives with multiple weeknight travel. Student athletes should be weekends only.

The Nova Scotia & PEI teams have Spring Break Feb. 17-21 while NB Schools are off Mar. 2-6.

So depending on the program and how long you play, you may not have classes to worry about in some cases.

They all know it's coming and they try to bias games towards weekends, so it's not a big issue as far as I'm concerned. The coaches requested the Semi's be best-of-5 due to the winner going to UCup. No need in having the finalists beat each other up for a 5-game series when they're both already going to UCup.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
AUS used to do it this way too. Even with Saint Mary's and Dal. If I remember correctly, UNB finally got it 1-1-1 for a UPEI series, and Billy MacMillan complained bitterly. There were a couple of years PEI won with this method. Upsets happened with others too, especially a hot goalie in a short series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad