2020 USports Playoffs

Eastern Scout

Feb 4, 2019
I couldn't be any prouder of the way the guys played tonight. Especially with having only 14 skaters dressed.

Too bad the referees had to decide the game.
Watched both games of this series. FWIW, I didn't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak and had no preference as to who won. From the unbiased eye...Timbit is totally correct. SMU was the benefactor of the officiating. Not saying they didn't have occasions where they had an argument, but UdeM has plenty of reason to be furious. The puck over glass call that led to the tying PP goal was outright brutal. Everyone in the building knew it was deflected out by SMU. Phantom call. The penalty in 3OT looked to be a clean hit. Welsh tried to sidestep the hit at the last minute. Maybe looked like a clip from the ref's perspective... but considering what they let go in the 1 & 2 OT periods vs SMU, no way that should have been called.

Very good and exciting game tonight by both teams. Well played. I thought UdeM was the better team overall in both games... but only slightly/marginally. Brassard was every bit equal to Montpetit.

Congrats to SMU who move on to the Ucup. Any and everyone in UdeM land should be proud with how hard and gutsy their team played in this series, especially with such a depleted line up. They literally defined the word "battle" tonight.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Vallee definitely has them on the right track. A lot to look forward to in Moncton, especially with Robert, who is putting up numbers I haven’t seen out of a recruit (over 2 PPG), and Voyer coming in.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Vallee definitely has them on the right track. A lot to look forward to in Moncton, especially with Robert, who is putting up numbers I haven’t seen out of a recruit (over 2 PPG), and Voyer coming in.

They have Robert & Voyer confirmed? impressive! I believe Mika Cyr is also attending UdeM currently who is another solid recruit.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Robert, Voyer and Lapointe have all signed their letters of intention. Nothing confirmed until they are on the ice for a game in October.

But it's still nice to have them sign now, it helps to build momentum. A couple others have signed as outlined in the recruitment thread but Cyr isn't one as of now.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Watched both games of this series. FWIW, I didn't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak and had no preference as to who won. From the unbiased eye...Timbit is totally correct. SMU was the benefactor of the officiating. Not saying they didn't have occasions where they had an argument, but UdeM has plenty of reason to be furious. The puck over glass call that led to the tying PP goal was outright brutal. Everyone in the building knew it was deflected out by SMU. Phantom call. The penalty in 3OT looked to be a clean hit. Welsh tried to sidestep the hit at the last minute. Maybe looked like a clip from the ref's perspective... but considering what they let go in the 1 & 2 OT periods vs SMU, no way that should have been called.

Very good and exciting game tonight by both teams. Well played. I thought UdeM was the better team overall in both games... but only slightly/marginally. Brassard was every bit equal to Montpetit.

Congrats to SMU who move on to the Ucup. Any and everyone in UdeM land should be proud with how hard and gutsy their team played in this series, especially with such a depleted line up. They literally defined the word "battle" tonight.

SMU was called for 22 minutes of penalties to Moncton's 8, including all 3 in the second period while Moncton had none. Moncton had their chance to put it away, and now it's the ref's fault.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
More like 12 to 8 since SMU got a 10-minute misconduct.

Not saying it's totally the ref's fault, but when you call a bogus delay of game penalty that results in the tying goal, than let go a buch of stuff in both overtime periods then end up calling something not quite as obvious as stuff that was let go, it gets people talking.

We had more than enough chances, as did SMU. We hit 2 posts, they missed a couple open nets where somehow one of our players deflected it.

It's just a pain in the butt when the referee's seem to feel they need to provide a show (and especially a certain linesman).

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Saturday March 7

Western at Concordia 3pm
Ottawa at Guelph 7pm

So it turns out that Western is hosting the bronze medal game, despite finishing with 5 fewer points than Concordia in the regular season. As others have mentioned, the rule that applies to the Queen's Cup game always being hosted by an Ontario-based team regardless of record has not applied when a bronze medal game has been played in the past. I looked at the OUA regs and, while awkwardly written, indicates that the bronze must now also be hosted by an Ontario-based team. This would be a change since 2018 when Concordia hosted York for the bronze game.

Bronze Medal Game (Third Place Game) Played to determine third berth to USPORTS Championship will be scheduled in years when OUA has a third berth to the U SPORTS Championship. In the event that an OUA school is hosting the U SPORTS Championship and also wins their conference (reaches the Queen’s cup), the third place game will be hosted by the team with the best overall record; if the records are identical the OUA general tie-breaking procedures will be used to determine the host of that game, which must be hosted in Ontario.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB with a SH EN goal to make it 4-1 with about 3 min left in the game.

And, they add another goal with Flodell in to make it 5-1

Good effort by ACA in this series. They'll be a tough team for the OUA runner-up

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
A very trepid first period. Both teams probably told by coaches that the first two games had too many mistakes. Things didn't open up until the Reds first goal.

Even though Flodell statistically had a better game in game one I thought he may have been better tonight. Made some massive saves. Should have been the Axemen's first star tonight IMHO.

Harvey very deserving of series MVP. Put in one of the best goaltending performances by a UNB netminder in game two.

Reactions: Prov1X

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
So it turns out that Western is hosting the bronze medal game, despite finishing with 5 fewer points than Concordia in the regular season. As others have mentioned, the rule that applies to the Queen's Cup game always being hosted by an Ontario-based team regardless of record has not applied when a bronze medal game has been played in the past. I looked at the OUA regs and, while awkwardly written, indicates that the bronze must now also be hosted by an Ontario-based team. This would be a change since 2018 when Concordia hosted York for the bronze game.

Bronze Medal Game (Third Place Game) Played to determine third berth to USPORTS Championship will be scheduled in years when OUA has a third berth to the U SPORTS Championship. In the event that an OUA school is hosting the U SPORTS Championship and also wins their conference (reaches the Queen’s cup), the third place game will be hosted by the team with the best overall record; if the records are identical the OUA general tie-breaking procedures will be used to determine the host of that game, which must be hosted in Ontario.
IMO, that's BS! Concordia should be hosting!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I never like pulling the goalie to make it 6 on 4, especially with over 4 mins left, you rarely see it work out. Now, to go 5 on 3, less bodies, I am all for it, just find too many bodies out there and the penalized team has a free shot at the goal. Mind you, someone might find stats to contradict my thinking.
It was a great series, both goalies are capable of stealing a game, and you might have gotten a preview of the gold medal game at the nationals (not sure if it is possible or not, but wouldn't be disappointed if it was a rematch)

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Western over Concordia 5-2 in the OUA Bronze. Stingers outshoot the Mustangs 47-24, although with the exception of the last 7 minutes when Western ran into penalty trouble and Concordia had their goalie pulled, not a lot of quality chances for the Stingers.

I'm a Western fan and they've had a good run in these playoffs, but I think they will be in over their heads at the Nationals against a quality opponent.

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Western over Concordia 5-2 in the OUA Bronze. Stingers outshoot the Mustangs 47-24, although with the exception of the last 7 minutes when Western ran into penalty trouble and Concordia had their goalie pulled, not a lot of quality chances for the Stingers.

I'm a Western fan and they've had a good run in these playoffs, but I think they will be in over their heads at the Nationals against a quality opponent.

At least Western has an experienced coach.

Reactions: northvanman

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Western most likely to get the Red Army at Nationals.

I think I would have rather played Concordia. After a rough regular season Peressini has been playing very well again lately. You never know with single elimination...I feel like he is more capable of standing on his head than Jessiman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad