2020 USports Playoffs

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Agreed. Even if it isn't a DEL contract, you'd think a Division 2 deal was definitely there.

The DEL is one of the top five leagues in the world.
It's asinine to critique any player for choosing the DEL over the OUA.
I'd also find it hard to believe that his teammates wouldn't be happy for a guy who gets to live the dream overseas. You can count on one hand the number of guys who sign elite league contracts out of USports. They'll be happy for him.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The DEL is one of the top five leagues in the world.
It's asinine to critique any player for choosing the DEL over the OUA.
I'd also find it hard to believe that his teammates wouldn't be happy for a guy who gets to live the dream overseas. You can count on one hand the number of guys who sign elite league contracts out of USports. They'll be happy for him.
I definitely thought the same thing - I opined that he even maybe went to the team, and they encouraged him to take his shot. And, to be sure, its a tough decision for him, because it's way bigger than one Queen's Cup run.

But, for whatever it's worth, I've heard that his teammates are far from a happy with him. Can't confirm that, but it comes from a trusted source.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Canadawest 2'nd round is set:
Alberta vs Mount Royal in Edmonton.
Calgary vs Saskatchewan in Saskatoon
Correct me, UBC eliminates Mount Royal 5-4 in overtime. This is a big step for UBC's program, to advance to the semi-finals against the Bears. It seems like the T-Birds played pretty well on the road, now the task of trying to win 2 in Claire Drake Arena.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I definitely thought the same thing - I opined that he even maybe went to the team, and they encouraged him to take his shot. And, to be sure, its a tough decision for him, because it's way bigger than one Queen's Cup run.

But, for whatever it's worth, I've heard that his teammates are far from a happy with him. Can't confirm that, but it comes from a trusted source.

If his teammates hold a grudge, that sounds more like their problem than his. I can't imagine any of them will ever touch the ice in a DEL game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here's the semi-finals schedule courtesy of Steve Knowles:

2019-20 U SPORTS MEN'S ICE HOCKEY CONFERENCE SEMI-FINALS

ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY SPORT (AUS) SEMI-FINALS (Best-of-Five)
Thursday, February 20 to Thursday, February 27, 2020

SERIES C
Game 1 - Thursday, February 20: Moncton at New Brunswick (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 21: Moncton at New Brunswick (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Monday, February 24: New Brunswick at Moncton (7:00 pm)
Game 4 - Tuesday, February 25: New Brunswick at Moncton (7:00 pm) - If Necessary
Game 5 - Thursday, February 27: Moncton at New Brunswick (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES D
Game 1 - Thursday, February 20: Saint Mary's at Acadia (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 22: Saint Mary's at Acadia (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Monday, February 24: Acadia at Saint Mary's (7:00 pm)
Game 4 - Tuesday, February 25: Acadia at Saint Mary's (7:00 pm) - If Necessary
Game 5 - Thursday, February 27: Saint Mary's at Acadia (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

ONTARIO UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS (OUA) SEMI-FINALS (Best-of-Three)
Wednesday, February 19 to Sunday, February 23, 2020

SERIES I
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 19: Concordia at Carleton (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 22: Carleton at Concordia (7:30 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: Concordia at Carleton (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES J
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 19: Ottawa at Trois-Rivieres (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 21: Trois-Rivieres at Ottawa (7:30 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: Ottawa at Trois-Rivieres (3:00 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES K
Game 1 - Wednesday, February 19: Western at Ryerson (7:15 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 22: Ryerson at Western (3:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: Western at Ryerson (7:15 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES L
Game 1 - Thursday, February 20: Brock at Guelph (7:30 pm)
Game 2 - Friday, February 21: Guelph at Brock (7:15 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: Brock at Guelph (7:30 pm) - If Necessary

CANADA WEST HOCKEY (CWH) SEMI-FINALS (Best-of-Three)
Friday, February 21 to Sunday, February 23, 2020

SERIES C
Game 1 - Friday, February 21: UBC at Alberta (7:07 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 22: UBC at Alberta (7:07 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: UBC at Alberta (7:07 pm) - If Necessary

SERIES D
Game 1 - Friday, February 21: Calgary at Saskatchewan (7:00 pm)
Game 2 - Saturday, February 22: Calgary at Saskatchewan (7:00 pm)
Game 3 - Sunday, February 23: Calgary at Saskatchewan (7:00 pm) - If Necessary

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Only 2 of 10 AUS games are on a weekend.

Playoff window for the second round is from Thursday to Thursday, not sure how you'd like us to fit in more weekend games. And like someone pointed out somewhere (in this thread or another one, can't find it). There's less than 200km's between the two rinks in our series and less than 100 km's between the two rinks in the Nova Scotia series, this almost feels like the good old days of the MacAdam and Kelly divisions.)

On our end it's not much of a problem, we only have a few guys potentially missing classes on Thursday afternoon/Friday morning depending on the travel arangements and no one missing exams. Not sure what kind of situation UNB is for Monday/Tuesday though, could be a bit more complicated on their end.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
AUS predictions:
UNB over Moncton in a sweep.
Acadia over SMU in 5.
SMU over Moncton in 3.

I'm gonna flip the SMU-ACA series and call it UNB, SMU, ACA - 1,2,3.

I like what ACA has done this year, but I also like Balmas and Getson at SMU. If Peters is healthy and Brassard can play "decent" goal I look for SMU in 5.

Should ACA win in 5, It would almost be a coin toss with a rested UdeM against a possibly banged up SMU team.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Concordia vs Carelton going to triple overtime... Ravens lost 2 dman to injury in 2nd period. Been a good game by Concordia so far

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Concordia vs Carelton going to triple overtime... Ravens lost 2 dman to injury in 2nd period. Been a good game by Concordia so far

I fell asleep before the second OT. Huge win for Concordia. I look for Carleton to bounce back Saturday.

By the way, anyone else thing the should go to 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 for overtime? Considering these are student athletes who have to manage hockey with their studies I think they should. IMHO

Reactions: MiamiHockey

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I fell asleep before the second OT. Huge win for Concordia. I look for Carleton to bounce back Saturday.

By the way, anyone else thing the should go to 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 for overtime? Considering these are student athletes who have to manage hockey with their studies I think they should. IMHO

Not in my opinion. The game is played 5v5 ... shouldn't change the rules in the playoffs. Let the best 5-player team win.

When I predicted Carleton over Concordia, I was hesitant because Carleton looked so poor against RMC. I should have gone with my gut. Carleton has the best team on paper, and taolent-wise is the only OUA team that could compete at the U-Cup, but I think they'll be hard-pressed to come back from this deficit.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Not in my opinion. The game is played 5v5 ... shouldn't change the rules in the playoffs. Let the best 5-player team win.

When I predicted Carleton over Concordia, I was hesitant because Carleton looked so poor against RMC. I should have gone with my gut. Carleton has the best team on paper, and taolent-wise is the only OUA team that could compete at the U-Cup, but I think they'll be hard-pressed to come back from this deficit.

Sounds like Carelton will be without Jarvis and De Haan for weeks each with a high ankle sprain wont help when heading on the road

Reactions: Rob

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
UNB and Acadia open their playoffs with wins, didn't get to see the SMU-Acadia game, but looked like a close game. Was at the UNB game, Moncton looked like they all jogged to Fredericton from Moncton. They did not win a race or battle all night, UNB was quicker to the puck. And Montpetit had an off night, mind you, he didn't get much support. I am curious if Moncton is more focused on the consolation series?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB and Acadia open their playoffs with wins, didn't get to see the SMU-Acadia game, but looked like a close game. Was at the UNB game, Moncton looked like they all jogged to Fredericton from Moncton. They did not win a race or battle all night, UNB was quicker to the puck. And Montpetit had an off night, mind you, he didn't get much support. I am curious if Moncton is more focused on the consolation series?
I had a midterm, so couldn't watch the game live. But watching the webcast video it looked like Moncton wasn't ready for UNB out of the gate. UNB plays at a much higher tempo than X, and so maybe those wins over X lulled them into a slower comfort zone. Whatever the reason, I agree that UNB most of the puck battles, and probably spent 75% of the game in the UdeM zone.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Moncton didn't look much better last night, not a hope in hell of them coming back in this series!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad