WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Personally, I would probably split Raymond and Holtz to two different lines.

Partly because I want to have 2 lines that consistently can push the play to the o-zone, and partly because most of their scoring chances are easily stopped because both of them play too much on the outside.

When it comes to Raymond, I would like to try a “Frölunda” line consisting of Fagemo – Henriksson – Raymond. During the previous season in SHL we saw that the Fagemo – Hjalmarsson – Lasch line worked really well, and I think this line would work in a similar manner. Raymond (IMO) plays a quite similar game to Lasch (although Raymond is probably more complete with being better defensively and a better shot). And Henriksson has shown that he has the hockey-IQ to play with stars and is good defensively. Fagemo will do as he always does and go straight for the net, which will either make him a passing option for Raymond, or open up space for Henriksson to get a shot off.

When it comes to Holtz I would like him to play with Gustafsson. I could see Holtz - Gustafsson – Grewe working, being somewhat of a junior (and less skilled) version of Capitals Ovie – Bäckström – Wilson line. Another option would be Holtz – Gustafsson – Hållander.

Gustafsson and Henriksson could of course swap places, but I think the familiarity Raymond has with Henriksson might be preferable.

It isn’t a bad idea to try out, but Grewe should be nowhere near the team. This could possibly work very well.

Fagemo - Henriksson - Raymond
Holtz - Gustavsson - Höglander

Last edited:
Reactions: felixpettersson

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
It isn’t a bad idea to try out, but Greer should be nowhere near the team. This could possibly work very well.

Definitely worth trying. We need all chemistry and offensive force we can get. However worrisome that the weak link in both formations is at center. Montén and his crew need to think outside the box here and really widen their hunting grounds during the fall season.

Reactions: AB13

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
It isn’t a bad idea to try out, but Grewe should be nowhere near the team. This could possibly work very well.

Ok, I’ll admit that the main point of my post was to suggest line-mates for Raymond, and then the Holtz line was just added to round the post out.

I do like your suggestion of Höglander, I think it could work well. My main worry is that you are getting a line that is quite similarly composed to the Holtz – Raymond line, and you might therefore get the same flaws.
Both at the Summer showcase and during the U18 WC you can see Raymond and Holtz getting so many chances, but they are either blocked by a defender, or saved by the goalie.

As mentioned, I think Raymond and Fagemo would work very well together because Fagemo goes to the dirty areas and likes to shoot the puck.

For a sniper like Holtz, ideally, I’d want a creative playmaking center and the other winger should ideally be a power forward (preferably a net front presence).
Albeit Gustafsson isn’t a true playmaker I think for these purposes he is good enough at it. I suggested Grewe to get that power forward that can create space for Holtz, I’m certainly not married to specifically Grewe but I do think it would be very beneficial if a power forward would be playing with Holtz.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Olofsson-Gustafsson-Hallander
Fagemo-Henriksson-Raymond
Holtz-Back-Gunler
Berggren-Pasic-Eriksson
Karlberg

Sandin-Boqvist
Ginning-Lundkvist
Broberg-Soderstrom
Bjornfot

Lindbom
Eliasson
Alnefelt

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Olofsson-Gustafsson-Hallander
Fagemo-Henriksson-Raymond
Holtz-Back-Gunler
Berggren-Pasic-Eriksson
Karlberg

Sandin-Boqvist
Ginning-Lundkvist
Broberg-Soderstrom
Bjornfot

Lindbom
Eliasson
Alnefelt

The first line is not close to skilled or creative enough, putting Höglander and Fagemo on the wings is a better option. I would hope Simon Holmström makes the team too.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
We are really lacking a skilled and creative C like Lundestrom last year, no one of these are even close to him. Its a problem for sure.

I would put it something like this:

Hallander - Gustafsson - Hoglander
Raymond - Henriksson - Fagemo
Holtz - Olofsson - Berggren
Eriksson - Back - Holmstrom

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
We are really lacking a skilled and creative C like Lundestrom last year, no one of these are even close to him. Its a problem for sure.

I would put it something like this:

Hallander - Gustafsson - Hoglander
Raymond - Henriksson - Fagemo
Holtz - Olofsson - Berggren
Eriksson - Back - Holmstrom

So no Noel Gunler?

Reactions: rickardr

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No Hoglander? I’d take him any day over Eriksson, Pasic & Karlberg.

And Olofsson is not a good winger, he showed that last WJC!
The first line is not close to skilled or creative enough, putting Höglander and Fagemo on the wings is a better option. I would hope Simon Holmström makes the team too.

I think you have to be realistic about the team. Olofsson, Hallander and Gustafsson are all making it and likely in big roles as 19 year olds that have been fixtures for Sweden in this age group. It’s probably best off using them as a shutdown line, and letting lines 2 and 3 create the offense.

If Gunler is included, I don’t see where Holmstrom or Hoglander fit. I don’t even think Hoglander is good enough. Holmstrom could be used instead of Holtz or Gunler. That’s an option.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think you have to be realistic about the team. Olofsson, Hallander and Gustafsson are all making it and likely in big roles as 19 year olds that have been fixtures for Sweden in this age group. It’s probably best off using them as a shutdown line, and letting lines 2 and 3 create the offense.

If Gunler is included, I don’t see where Holmstrom or Hoglander fit. I don’t even think Hoglander is good enough. Holmstrom could be used instead of Holtz or Gunler. That’s an option.

Olofsson is not ideal as a winger, not at all. The line of Olofsson - Gustavsson - Hållander is way too defensively balanced in my eyes. Höglander is one of our best forwards and almost a lock for a top 6 role, as Montén has hinted at in the past. You are severely underrating him. Höglander slots perfectly in to that first line.

I would think a deep offence with three scoring lines would be the most succesfull, just looking at most succesfull teams in modern hockey.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Hoglander fits as a first or second line winger easily

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
imo Holtz and Raymond should be locks for WJC, but watch monten not select them in december for some stupid reason that they're too young. I still remember his Victor Soderstrom snub. (at that point Victor was a top4 D in SHL)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
imo Holtz and Raymond should be locks for WJC, but watch monten not select them in december for some stupid reason that they're too young. I still remember his Victor Soderstrom snub. (at that point Victor was a top4 D in SHL)

That would be a sackable offense.

Reactions: Star Ocean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad