WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think they will make the team, but they also have to take another step in their development. I'm not sure they can do that in SuperElit, or I don't think U20 hockey is enough. One big difference tho is that they won't have the same pressure to produce and carry their team at WJC U20 as they probably felt at U18. Also the other teams can't match lines against them as easy as they won't be the leading line of the Swedish U20 team.

I agree, we will have a lot of depth and be able to give similar minutes to all lines. I do expect Raymond and Holtz to play on the first power play unit and take on a lot of the offensive load, but they won't have to carry the offense like at U18 level. Looking at the U18 tournament, I think we have a few forwards born 2001 that could make the team next year, Gunler ( even though he wasn't at the U18 for some reason), Henriksson, Holmstöm and Grewe could all play.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I dont know, I expect Raymond and Holtz to show domination in the tournament to be worthy of their top-5 draft status. Sweden wont lean on other lines (as was the case for McDavid in his draft year), and they will not be playing against insane competition. From the 2018 draft, the best players playing in the tournament may be Barret Hayton (may make the Yotes), Rasmus Sandin and ... Rasmus Kupari maybe? For the 2019 draft, I assume Hughes and Kakko will be in the NHL, so best in the tournament from that draft may be Podkolzin, Turcotte and Byram. I definitely expect Raymond, Holtz, and Lafreniere for Canada to play like standouts in this tournament.

Good point about the competition. I think USA will have a very strong team though, with players like Farabee, Miller, Knight, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield and Wahlstrom. Our team might be the strongest on paper together with USA, to be honest I don't know too much about the Canadian, Russian or Finnish teams.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
The schedule is not updated on swehockey.se but I guess the summer tournament starts in late july again.

The roster should be released within two weeks then.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sweden does look a step behind in goaltending this year. Where is their Wolf, Dostal, Ellis, Knight? They have no standouts in the pipeline, and only Eliasson looks on pace to be even an average WJC starting goaltender. They could gamble on the undrafted Portillo, but is Monten likely to use an NCAA player?

The offense on the other hand looks pretty good. No standout names like Hayton or Lafreniere, but they should be 3 scoring lines deep again. If Berggren comes back stronger from his injury, they could be very dangerous and deep up front.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden does look a step behind in goaltending this year. Where is their Wolf, Dostal, Ellis, Knight? They have no standouts in the pipeline, and only Eliasson looks on pace to be even an average WJC starting goaltender. They could gamble on the undrafted Portillo, but is Monten likely to use an NCAA player?

The offense on the other hand looks pretty good. No standout names like Hayton or Lafreniere, but they should be 3 scoring lines deep again. If Berggren comes back stronger from his injury, they could be very dangerous and deep up front.

Olof Lindbom looks like our best goalie in my eyes, although his injuries from last season worry me. He is solid but certainly not as great as some other goalies in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This came up in the SWE-FIN thread (blame Canada). How would you modify your musician F core?

Bjorn Ulvaeus - Yngwie Malmsteen - Carl M. Bellman
Benny Anderson - Quorthon - Jens Kidman
John Norum - Joey Tempest - Hugo Alfven
Andreas Svensson - Per Gessle - Nicke Andersson

vs

Toivo Kuula - Petri Walli - Jean Sibelius
Sami Kuoppamaki - Aleksi Laiho - Petri Lindroos
Ville Valo - Jari Maenpaa - Kai Hahto
Juice Leskinen - Jukka Karjalainen - Kauko Royhka

Reactions: JBeast

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

I'd rather see Raymond & Holtz at the Hlinka tournament.

This came up in the SWE-FIN thread (blame Canada). How would you modify your musician F core?

Bjorn Ulvaeus - Yngwie Malmsteen - Carl M. Bellman
Benny Anderson - Quorthon - Jens Kidman
John Norum - Joey Tempest - Hugo Alfven
Andreas Svensson - Per Gessle - Nicke Andersson

vs

Toivo Kuula - Petri Walli - Jean Sibelius
Sami Kuoppamaki - Aleksi Laiho - Petri Lindroos
Ville Valo - Jari Maenpaa - Kai Hahto
Juice Leskinen - Jukka Karjalainen - Kauko Royhka

Add Jussi Björling and Max Martin. Send the metal guys to the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'd rather see Raymond & Holtz at the Hlinka tournament.

Add Jussi Björling and Max Martin. Send the metal guys to the moon.
Jussi Bjorling is immortal. Believe it or not, O Helga Natt (in Swedish of course, even when people don't know the words) is a staple among Finnish christmas traditions.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
In the history books, Chris Impellitteri was one of the Yngwie challengers... and Yngwie won..

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Olof Lindbom looks like our best goalie in my eyes, although his injuries from last season worry me. He is solid but certainly not as great as some other goalies in the tournament.

One year ago, he would have been my pick for Sweden, and perhaps he could have become close to the same caliber of prospect as the names I mentioned above. But he missed most of last season, I believe he played a total of less than 10 games. That is going to impact development in a negative way for sure.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
One year ago, he would have been my pick for Sweden, and perhaps he could have become close to the same caliber of prospect as the names I mentioned above. But he missed most of last season, I believe he played a total of less than 10 games. That is going to impact development in a negative way for sure.

It certainly will have impacted his development, but I still think he might be ahead of Eliasson and Portillo.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Looks like he wasn't a prophet in his own country.

Maybe it was slightly off topic, admitted.

Oh you meant Yngwie? He certainly is a prophet to an older generation. I am just too young and stupid to see what you meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Oh you meant Yngwie? He certainly is a prophet to an older generation. I am just too young and stupid to see what you meant.
No, I'm grumpy for Saab losing the Swiss deal. You're not stupid or silly. We needed that for good Nordic coop. Look at how it's coming apart (Mjolnir vs Nemo) after all this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad