WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
We could have 7 1st round picks on defense this year.

Adam Boqvist (2018, 8th overall)
Rasmus Sandin (2018, 29th overall)
Philip Broberg (2019, 8th overall)
Victor Söderström (2019, 11th overall)
Filip Johansson (2018, 24th overall)
Tobias Björnfot (2019, 22th overall)
Nils Lundkvist (2018, 28th overall)

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

That is absolutely insane, Dahlin would technically be eligible too although he will obviously not play, just says how good we are at producing defencemen

Last edited:

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Sweden does look a step behind in goaltending this year. Where is their Wolf, Dostal, Ellis, Knight? They have no standouts in the pipeline, and only Eliasson looks on pace to be even an average WJC starting goaltender.

Goaltending depth chart:

Jesper Eliasson - Almtuna, Allsvenskan (3rd round, 2018)
Olof Lindbom - Mora, Allsvenskan (2nd round, 2018)
Erik Portillio - Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL (3rd round, 2019)
Hugo Alnefeldt, HV71, SuperElit/SHL (3rd round, 2019)
Magnus Chrona - Univ. of Denver, NCAA (5th round, 2018)

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
This came up in the SWE-FIN thread (blame Canada). How would you modify your musician F core?

Bjorn Ulvaeus - Yngwie Malmsteen - Carl M. Bellman
Benny Anderson - Quorthon - Jens Kidman
John Norum - Joey Tempest - Hugo Alfven
Andreas Svensson - Per Gessle - Nicke Andersson

The music: (men's team)

Joakim Thåström - Jan Johansson - Tomas Öberg
Mattias Alkberg - Benny Andersson - Quorthon
Kjell Höglund - Evert Taube - Björn Afzelius or Kenny Håkansson (have not decided yet)
Nicke Andersson - Cornelis Vreeswijk - Esbjörn Svensson

Taxi Squad: Messiah Marcolin, Magnus Uggla & Yngwie Malmsteen

And the hockey:

Alexander Holtz - David Gustafsson - Albin Grewe
Samuel Fagemo - Jacob Olofsson - Filip Hållander
Jonathan Berggren - Oscar Bäck - Noel Gunler
Albin Eriksson - Marcus Westfält - Lucas Raymond
Simon Holmström - Nils Höglander

Filip Johansson - Adam Boqvist
Philip Broberg - Victor Söderström
Tobias Björnfot - Mattias Norlinder
Nils Lundkvist - Adam Ginning

Olof Lindblom
Hugo or Jesper

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The music: (men's team)

Joakim Thåström - Jan Johansson - Tomas Öberg
Mattias Alkberg - Benny Andersson - Quorthon
Kjell Höglund - Evert Taube - Björn Afzelius or Kenny Håkansson (have not decided yet)
Nicke Andersson - Cornelis Vreeswijk - Esbjörn Svensson

Taxi Squad: Messiah Marcolin & Yngwie Malmsteen

And the hockey:

Alexander Holtz - David Gustafsson - Albin Grewe
Samuel Fagemo - Jacob Olofsson - Filip Hållander
Jonathan Berggren - Oscar Bäck - Noel Gunler
Albin Eriksson - Marcus Westfält - Lucas Raymond
Simon Holmström - Nils Höglander

Filip Johansson - Adam Boqvist
Tobias Björnfot - Mattias Norlinder

Olof Lindblom
Hugo or Jesper

Lucas Raymond on the fourth line? Not a chance. He is a superior player to Holtz. Raymond and Holtz should play together on the second or first line. Flip Johansson should be replaced by Rasmus Sandin if available.

Albin Grewe will probably not even make the team, and Nils Höglander would be a first liner along with Fagemo, I would think.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Lucas Raymond on the fourth line? Not a chance. He is a superior player to Holtz. Raymond and Holtz should play together on the second or first line. Flip Johansson should be replaced by Rasmus Sandin if available.

Albin Grewe will probably not even make the team, and Nils Höglander would be a first liner along with Fagemo, I would think.

I went with a little bit of size up front and Raymond takes one for the team here with his forechecking skills. Grewe has a physical playing style. First line has spetskompetens in different areas. This is not U18. Very glad Raymond and Holtz are projected to go among the first players in the draft in 2020. Would be cool if Gunler, Grewe or Nybeck have good seasons now.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I went with a little bit of size and Raymond takes one for the team here with his forechecking skills. Grewe has a physical playing style. First line has spetskompetens in different areas. This is not U18. Or fantasy.

Grewe doesn't have the skill or creativity I would like to properly supply Holtz with great scoring chances, Raymond does. The most worrying thing about Grewe in my eyes is his lack of IQ and poor decision making, and constantly taking stupid penalties. I would prioritise skill and creativity on the first line. The first line of Gustavsson, Raymond and Holtz also has spetskompetens in different areas, Gustafsson with his faceoffs and two way ability, Raymond with his skill, playmaking and versatile offensive tools, and Holtz with his lethal shot. To maximize the offensive potential of our top lines I would put creative, skilled forwards together. We have size regardless, but I question how necessary it really is. I would prefer to have less skilled offensive player that are heavily reliant on size and physique lower down in the lineup if at all. Having 3 lines that can score and one defensive shutdown line with smart, hardworking players usually is rather effective at junior level. A deep offense is key in modern hockey.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Lol why put Raymond in the U20 squad just to have him on a fourth line, sure Sweden usually roll 4 lines pretty equaly but still? But it would have been better just to put him on the Ivan Hlinka again.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Developed countries problems! (I-landsproblem). Holtz or Raymond, time will tell. At leat competition will be tough. But for now I won't put both eggs in the same basket. Holtz had the upper hand in 2017-18 and Raymond slightly in 2018-19. Two goals in the SEL!! Who take the next step? I have not said Grewe is better than Raymond. 3rd round drafted seldom are better than projected thirds overall. My point is we must use the u18 players wisely. To put two smallish 18 year olds on a top line against older and bigger russians and canadians is risky for a team that have aspirations to win it all. Would be cool though if a swedish 02 takes the same leap as Kakko this coming season.

* U18 WC is in Ann Arbor in april 2020. Zion Nybeck joins for sure.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Your most skilled forward should not be one to ”take one for the team” that’s idiotic. They tried to produce without the kind off edge that a guy like Raymond provides last year and it went terribly so lets please not have a team like that again.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Your most skilled forward should not be one to ”take one for the team” that’s idiotic. They tried to produce without the kind off edge that a guy like Raymond provides last year and it went terribly so lets please not have a team like that again.

This might be what you're after (below) and I say we have to think of alternatives. Wingers are SOFT. Luckily we are not in december yet. Have hopes in the SAIK players especially.

Samuel Fagemo - David Gustafsson - Filip Hållander
Alexander Holtz - Jacob Olofsson - Lucas Raymond

Nils Höglander - Oscar Bäck - Simon Holmström
Jonathan Berggren - Marcus Westfält - Albin Eriksson
Lukas Wernblom - Albin Grewe - Noel Gunler

Rasmus Sandin/Filip Johansson - Adam Boqvist
Tobias Björnfot
- Mattias Norlinder

Olof Lindblom

PS. In defense of Albin Grewe (classically roasted earlier) here are the junior stats:

Noel Gunler (RW/LW) Luleå HF J20 31 27 19 46 1.48 78 21
Albin Grewe (C/RW) Djurgårdens IF J20 25 13 21 34 1.36 102 12
Lucas Raymond (RW) Frölunda HC J20 37 13 35 48 1.30 24 27
Alexander Holtz (RW/LW) Djurgårdens IF J20 38 30 17 47 1.24 12 19
Filip Cederqvist (LW/RW) Växjö Lakers HC J20 26 14 18 32 1.23 12
Zion Nybeck (RW) HV71 J20 35 17 26 43 1.23 0
Nikola Pasic (C/LW) Linköping HC J20 33 18 18 36 1.09 6 9
Karl Henriksson (C) Frölunda HC J20 45 13 36 49 1.09 26 35

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Bury Raymond on the 4th line, now Ive seen it all.Lol. Do you want him to PK?

I'm glad you've been around. Bury? He can do it all even from there...

Seriously, I expect a lot to happen with our center line even if it might be the same players as last year. And of course Raymond and Holtz should get every opportunity to do what they have done best in the past. We have seen it in the past when young players come up. They are held back a little. From U18 in the spring to U20 at christmas is quite a step. What we don't want is younger players with too high expectations fail and be disappointed.

Grewe has a physical part of his game that have been valuable before in 2 U18 WCH, which is not very common at that age. He might be thought of in 2021. It might also be that management is very aware of that players capability and that it's a third or fourth line role he will have. Maybe they will see how the 02-kid line will do and bring in Henriksson not to break it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomas W

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Using Grewe on the team is not using players wisely. He's not invited to the first camp in Plymouth and he shouldn't be.

No, they opted for Marcus Karlberg instead, 173 cm above sea level. A team whose forwards are all born 2000 except Holtz-Henriksson-Raymond. Wingers born 2002 and Henriksson 2001. Not even Gunler (2001:a) is on the team.

Might be a way to see how far we get with a smaller, skilled team. Physicality comes in later. See if the 02's can avoid the minus stats now. Many of the smaller players won't have the chance to shine in SEL as the more physical or bigger players and their chance is now in Plymouth.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
No, they opted for Marcus Karlberg instead, 173 cm above sea level. A team whose forwards are all born 2000 except Holtz-Henriksson-Raymond. Wingers born 2002 and Henriksson 2001. Not even Gunler (2001:a) is on the team.

Might be a way to see how far we get with a smaller, skilled team. Physicality comes in later. See if the 02's can avoid the minus stats now. Many of the smaller players won't have the chance to shine in SEL as the more physical or bigger players and their chance is now in Plymouth.
You're right, Gunler should have been invited. Same goes for Holmström. They'll probably both earn spots from their play in the SHL though.

Also, I bolded something interesting, you do realize Grewe is a smaller player, right? And do you expect him to shine in the SHL? If so, then, oof.

Here are the players that are shorter than Grewe, btw: Raymond, Berggren, Höglander, Karlberg, Henriksson, & Wernblom. Karlberg, & Wernblom probably won't shine in the SHL as they'll be playing in Allsvenskan, so you're right about those two.

Reactions: rickardr

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

There will be a couple of really good D's left off this year if everyone is available. Mattias Norlinder will be playing top minutes with Modo and Simon Lundmark will likely get solid minutes in the SHL to name a couple. Both eligible for the last time. Adam Ginning is a returning player on top of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->