WJC: 2020 Team Germany Roster

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't know how good the rest of your team is. But I've watched every game of Varejcka this year and I watched every game last year. He's no worse this year than Schutz was last year. Arguably better. He's absolutely carrying a line with 2 forwards who are entirely dependent on him for scoring, and provide him very limited benefits in return. Maybe you think the rest of your team is better than that, in which case I would have to say, Germany's team must be one for the century.

A lack of respect doesn't just mean complete omission. Lack of respect can be underrating.

Maybe I underrate his defensive abilities, but I believe he would have to play in a mostly defensive role on this team. I doubt he would get a shot with the top guys and I don't think he could drag two of the other player to contribute offensively against this competition.

Looking at the team Schütz, Bokk, Stützle, Peterka and Reichel are clearly ahead of Varejcka for me.
Then I would have Jentzsch, Fleischer and Valenti slightly ahead of him.

Now we are getting to those I would have no problem leaving off in favour of Varejcka, but I do think they are good enough to make this team as well.
Kinder, Brune, Schinko, Lobach and Nijenhuis. All of them are having good seasons so far and they have performed well with this group and got some decent chemistry.
Again, I am not opposed to having Varejcka on the team. He is one of two (Valentino Klos is the other) I would have liked to see on the roster.
But I am not getting too upset over it, because all of these players make for a really good team.

I don't know if they underrate the Salzburg program, but I do think they sometimes overrate players who are playing in North America, especially in the CHL. Though I don't think this year is as bad in that regard.
However, I would be interested in how many games of the Salzburg teams the DEB coaches and scouts watch, because I wonder if they underscout the players there, which then would be a sign of lack of respect.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Maybe I underrate his defensive abilities, but I believe he would have to play in a mostly defensive role on this team. I doubt he would get a shot with the top guys and I don't think he could drag two of the other player to contribute offensively against this competition.

Looking at the team Schütz, Bokk, Stützle, Peterka and Reichel are clearly ahead of Varejcka for me.
Then I would have Jentzsch, Fleischer and Valenti slightly ahead of him.

Now we are getting to those I would have no problem leaving off in favour of Varejcka, but I do think they are good enough to make this team as well.
Kinder, Brune, Schinko, Lobach and Nijenhuis. All of them are having good seasons so far and they have performed well with this group and got some decent chemistry.
Again, I am not opposed to having Varejcka on the team. He is one of two (Valentino Klos is the other) I would have liked to see on the roster.
But I am not getting too upset over it, because all of these players make for a really good team.

I don't know if they underrate the Salzburg program, but I do think they sometimes overrate players who are playing in North America, especially in the CHL. Though I don't think this year is as bad in that regard.
However, I would be interested in how many games of the Salzburg teams the DEB coaches and scouts watch, because I wonder if they underscout the players there, which then would be a sign of lack of respect.
Absolutely! To be clear, I think my opinion is basically held by only me and other people in and around the Salzburg program. We have a very high opinion of Varejcka, but are aware that not everyone else does. So I'm definitely not going to argue that you're wrong, it's just my personal opinion.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Absolutely! To be clear, I think my opinion is basically held by only me and other people in and around the Salzburg program. We have a very high opinion of Varejcka, but are aware that not everyone else does. So I'm definitely not going to argue that you're wrong, it's just my personal opinion.

And I really hope I will get to see him play again soon. Since he joined Salzburg I have only seen him play a few times. Once for one of the national teams (I think it was U18) and three times this season when he played for Munich in the DEL. He played 4 times, but I missed one of them. Unfortunately his ice time was really low (two games with a little over 2 minutes and one with a little over 4 minutes). His last game with 7:50 minutes of ice time was the most significant, and I thought he played well.
I really do appreciate your insight on these kids playing for Salzburg. If I remember correctly you were pretty high on Taro Jentzsch, when a lot of people were a bit skeptical when he was selected in the CHL import draft.

BTW congrats on the promotion for team Austria.

Reactions: kabidjan18

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
And I really hope I will get to see him play again soon. Since he joined Salzburg I have only seen him play a few times. Once for one of the national teams (I think it was U18) and three times this season when he played for Munich in the DEL. He played 4 times, but I missed one of them. Unfortunately his ice time was really low (two games with a little over 2 minutes and one with a little over 4 minutes). His last game with 7:50 minutes of ice time was the most significant, and I thought he played well.
I really do appreciate your insight on these kids playing for Salzburg. If I remember correctly you were pretty high on Taro Jentzsch, when a lot of people were a bit skeptical when he was selected in the CHL import draft.

BTW congrats on the promotion for team Austria.
Yeah, I mean the germans have taken over Salzburg haha, it's a german club now. Which is not really a bad thing, it's just unfortunate that we aren't producing any talent from the club. I was high on Taro. He's not a perfect prospect, he was a bit selfish as I remember. But he really had the moves and he also had good size and he used it well.

Thanks! It was a great experience. Honestly, nothing would be better if both Austria and Germany were there.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Apologies a bit off topic but I wish someplace in or around Berlin would host the WJC. I have a free place to stay there. Good luck and enjoy the games.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Möller, Lutz and Varejcka were cut after the camp in Füssen. Klos is injured and not in the Team. Mass actually ill.
After the USA-Game tomorrow another two defenders will be cut.

Yesterday:
GER U20 - FIN U20 1:6
Goal: Bokk (Reichel)
Team looked a little bit overwhelmed.

Reactions: TheGreekShot

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
Möller, Lutz and Varejcka were cut after the camp in Füssen. Klos is injured and not in the Team. Mass actually ill.
After the USA-Game tomorrow another two defenders will be cut.

Yesterday:
GER U20 - FIN U20 1:6
Goal: Bokk (Reichel)
Team looked a little bit overwhelmed.
Any idea where Seider was yesterday? I didn't see him on the ice.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think they played a good second period and a very good third. they had a lot of scoring chances and with a better finish the game could have end 4:6.
Tbh when the game is 6-0 its obvious that the Finns just wanted to play the time away so Germany got chances (at least in the 3rd). I don't mean they didn't play well though.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
The schedule makes things a little problematic for Germany U20. Realistically they can probably only beat the Czechs.

Unfortunately the Czech Republic has a full day of rest before the game vs. Germany, while Germany has to play USA the day before the czech game.

And I doubt the best German players want to play half-heartedly vs USA, when all the scouts are watching.

Just a little unfortunate, not complaining :)

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The schedule makes things a little problematic for Germany U20. Realistically they can probably only beat the Czechs.

Unfortunately the Czech Republic has a full day of rest before the game vs. Germany, while Germany has to play USA the day before the czech game.

And I doubt the best German players want to play half-heartedly vs USA, when all the scouts are watching.

Just a little unfortunate, not complaining :)
"Unfortunate" would have been the word if this had been an accident. As host team, the Czechs set the schedule and they are well aware what their most important game is. Consider yourself lucky they didn't schedule the Germans in a baseball style day/night doubleheader! :laugh:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I think they played a good second period and a very good third. they had a lot of scoring chances and with a better finish the game could have end 4:6.
Sorry! Finland was overall clearly better. Skating, physical, stickhandling(class distinction) etc.. 40- 14 shots on goal. After 6:0 the game ended for the finns.

Reactions: FinPanda

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
DO you know why? Veleno and him were released at the same time and Veleno has already been with Canada for afew days

I guess they allowed him to go home for a few days to see family. He was at the Mannheim game yesterday.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
"Unfortunate" would have been the word if this had been an accident. As host team, the Czechs set the schedule and they are well aware what their most important game is. Consider yourself lucky they didn't schedule the Germans in a baseball style day/night doubleheader! :laugh:

They made sure to make it a night day doubleheader though. Czechs may be different but usually the home teams wants to play night games. They Czechs final 2 games are late games. But their first 2 are early. While the first German game is late. Gives the Czechs about 45 hours from the end of their 1st to the German game, while the Germans get about 18 hours which is the lowest possible. No doubt on purpose. Which is totally their right, but it kind of annoys ,me as I like this German team.

Reactions: Statsy and Kleefeld

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
They made sure to make it a night day doubleheader though. Czechs may be different but usually the home teams wants to play night games. They Czechs final 2 games are late games. But their first 2 are early. While the first German game is late. Gives the Czechs about 45 hours from the end of their 1st to the German game, while the Germans get about 18 hours which is the lowest possible. No doubt on purpose. Which is totally their right, but it kind of annoys ,me as I like this German team.

That is so unsportsmanlike and a travesty to the tournament

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Longer rest is really not as big deal as this thread makes it sound. Not to mention, team with less rest usually has better jump to start the game, which is exactly what Germany needs against the Czechs.
All of this is kinda moot point though, as Germans can easily just not show up against the USA and instead save their energy for the only game that actually matters.
If anything, I am slightly surprised the Czech federation didn't use their right to swap two teams between the groups to make it more balanced. Would be probably seen as a cheap chicken move though.

Reactions: Czechboy

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Oh wow, I had no idea. Not fair at all... There should be some kind of rule to prevent this behaviour.

That is so unsportsmanlike and a travesty to the tournament

I am not too bothered by this. Germany did something similar when they were hosting Div. 1a a few years ago. And pretty much every host nation has done something similar in past tournaments. They always schedule their own games in a way they always get enough rest and the games for their biggest rival/threat as inconvenient as possible.

The tournament is short enough that it should not matter too much.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
After the hype about Stützle, Reichel and Peterka it was clear that Glötzl should only gain experience. He was the only 17-year-old who was excluded from all media.
After the USA debacle questionable: Mass was visibly not fit after his illness and Heinzinger with 4 Goals against.
Glötzl was certainly not the worst defender in the preparation.

Last edited:

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
What kind of role is Philipp Mass expected to play in the team after recovering from his illness? I don't know anything about him except from the fact that his is playing with the farm team of Salzburg in the international Alps Hockey League.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
After the preparation i would say Mass is for me with Heinzinger the D-Men Number 6 or 7. Depending on the form of the day.

Hüttl was the „C“ on preparation games. I think Seider get one letter too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad