2020 Tank Thread: Get Punched in the Solar Plexus for Alexis

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Having to endure year after year of the idiotic Benning regime is not good for mental health. Especially when you're forced to explain to his supporters that the earth isn't flat.

Shouldn’t you take a break from the Canucks then?

I mean, why follow the team if it’s not enjoyable for you anymore? Isn't the whole part of sports just for fun?

Reactions: CanadianTrashPanda

just22

Aug 2, 2009
If you’re constantly bitching and moaning in public but instantly tell someone it’s not their concern about what you do then you should just keep things to yourself.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
I wonder if these same guys berating Y2K for following his favorite team regardless of how much management pisses him off are the same ones telling him hes a fair-weather fan when he was previously considering taking a break.

Quick reminder that gatekeeping is pathetic and anyone who posts here is a fan of this team in some capacity.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This goes beyond tanking, if it means Jim Benning and his cronies get canned, I will always support the tank.

I would like to see another playoff before I reach 30 though. With a different group in management.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
It was a deserved response to that kind of comment.

Huh? Very weird response to a genuine question.

It just seems like following the team brings you no enjoyment whatsoever anymore and you constantly remind everyone here of that so I ask - why continue following the team?

But hey sorry if I offended you and yeah you’re free to do whatever you want so you do you. Have a nice day y2k.... cheer up and remember hockey is just a game after all!!! :nod::laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Huh? Very weird response to a genuine question.

It just seems like following the team brings you no enjoyment whatsoever anymore and you constantly remind everyone here of that so I ask - why continue following the team?

But hey sorry if I offended you and yeah you’re free to do whatever you want so you do you. Have a nice day y2k.... cheer up and remember hockey is just a game after all!!! :nod::laugh:

I get enjoyment out of seeing Benning's team fall flat on its face. I get enjoyment out of thinking of a brighter future when Benning is fired and hoping that someone competent is hired to take over.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
This team is no where near rebuilt. It needs at least two more top Dmen, and two more impactful scoring wingers. Chychrun or Tkachuk would look pretty good right about now.

Also, we don't know if the likes of Demko or Pettersson are the real deal. Will Boeser be able to be effective in a tight checking playoffs?

We need to tank for at least three more years just in the hopes of batting 750 at the draft.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This team is no where near rebuilt. It needs at least two more top Dmen, and two more impactful scoring wingers. Chychrun or Tkachuk would look pretty good right about now.

Also, we don't know if the likes of Demko or Pettersson are the real deal. Will Boeser be able to be effective in a tight checking playoffs?

We need to tank for at least three more years just in the hopes of batting 750 at the draft.

Yup I want to see how Petersson responds when he doesn’t have a 20%+ shooting percentage before anointing him a mega star

Reactions: dwarf

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
2020 is going to be a special year.

Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Raymond, Barron, Lundell, etc.

Quinton Byfield is a magnificent skater, and he's 6'5''.

Justin Barron is a great puck-rushing defenceman.

Anton Lundell is a very skilled, intelligent center who impressed me at the World Juniors.

Alexis Lafreniere is great around the net and is excellent at controlling loose pucks.

A Top 5 pick in 2020 would be enormous.

Last edited:

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I would be shocked if that Canucks still have there 2020 1st round pick on June 23, 2019. I think it is very much in play to land a significant piece that will help them make the playoffs next year. this years upsets have motivated the make the playoffs at all cost next year mantra at Rodgers Arena.

Reactions: lindgren

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I would be shocked if that Canucks still have there 2020 1st round pick on June 23, 2019. I think it is very much in play to land a significant piece that will help them make the playoffs next year. this years upsets have motivated the make the playoffs at all cost next year mantra at Rodgers Arena.
Watch they don't even put in a "top 5 protected" condition. When asked by the media why Benning didnt do that, he turn to his assistant (while on camera) and ask "whats that?"
That's my prediction.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think the right management team could turn this thing around with one more year of the tank. Get a good player at 10 this draft, plus some solid deeper drafting, and draft high again next year. With the right trades and signings you could do it.

Issue is we don't have the right executives in place.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.

This would be a brutal error of Ottawa type proportions.

This season looked good for the Canucks, because they got a lot of back up goalies, and teams who thought they were easy points.

Next season is going to be harder not easier.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Just in time to draft 3 busts and have Horvat leave in FA

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Just in time to draft 3 busts and have Horvat leave in FA

Sounds Canuckish. I am expecting a bust this season. Not seeing anything sure at 10th, and that's a good sign the Canucks will mess it up for certain.

I am pretty sure that next season, this team will end up with a better pick, as teams will be more apt to bring their A game.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This would be disgusting. Another high first round pick in 2020, and well-executed draft more broadly, is exactly what this team needs. The goal for the playoffs should be the 2021-2022 season. This organization needs two more drafts focused heavily on filling out depth at every level.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Some pretty tantalizing prospects at the top of this draft. Will be interesting to see who maintains their hype and who comes out of the blue.

Just have to pray that finally the new lottery will work in our favour and we'll win a top3 selection after finishing in the 8-12 range.

But yes this team is still so far from being consistently competitive. Just compare what we have to the 'weaker' teams competing right now and its clear we aren't close.

I'd rather be patient and suffer the tank a little longer than jump the gun and end up in that perennial 7th-10th, 1st round exit purgatory.

Not to mention that the reason teams like Tampa, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Wsh are able to stay competitive long-term is because they have layers of nhl-caliber prospects that join the team in waves.

We don't even have the initial wave yet :(

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
2020 is going to be a special year.

Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Raymond, Barron, Lundell, etc.

Quinton Byfield is a magnificent skater, and he's 6'5''.

Justin Barron is a great puck-rushing defenceman.

Anton Lundell is a very skilled, intelligent center who impressed me at the World Juniors.

Alexis Lafreniere is great around the net and is excellent at controlling loose pucks.

A Top 5 pick in 2020 would be enormous.

Yaroslav Askarov, the 6 foot 3 inch, 16 year old goalie for team Russia at the u18 looks spectacular!

If he keeps it up then he's definitely going in the top 5.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yaroslav Askarov, the 6 foot 3 inch, 16 year old goalie for team Russia at the u18 looks spectacular!

If he keeps it up then he's definitely going in the top 5.

Jan Bednar might be the better goalie prospect at the moment. Also dont think any goalie will come close to top 5 in 2020, there is just so much top end talent I doubt any team takes the risk to pick a goalie instead of the guys Blade Paradigm mention already and he hasnt even listed some guys (Gunler f.e.) that are likely ahead of those 2 goalies as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00