2020 Tank Thread: Get Punched in the Solar Plexus for Alexis

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I've been on team tank for last five years, I need a break from this. This was the year when we should be adding another top 5 pick, but Markstrom and Petey torpedoed that, hoping for a top 6 guy at 10 now. This year we should be challenging for a playoff spot with Hughes. Hopefully we sign one of the impact FAs and take advantage of the ELCs of our meagre core. It's time I resign to the fact that we really cannot count on luck as a Canuck fan, so realistically with the current core we are staring at drafting 7-14 for the next draft if we are to hope for a tank. No thanks, it's time to start getting playoff experience towards our ultimate goal.

If the Canucks push for a playoff spot next year that might save Benning’s job. All that would do is waste Horvat’s prime. You prefer that over one more year?

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
If the Canucks push for a playoff spot next year that might save Benning’s job. All that would do is waste Horvat’s prime. You prefer that over one more year?
Yup, Benning is on his last year with club option for another year. If he misses next year 100% he will be replaced. So here's to taking it in the derriere for Lafreniere.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Double edged sword. We make the playoffs, great experience for the kids, but Benning saves his job; or we miss the playoffs, likely select in the 10-15 range, but Benning gets Fired.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Double edged sword. We make the playoffs, great experience for the kids, but Benning saves his job; or we miss the playoffs, likely select in the 10-15 range, but Benning gets Fired.

It’s not a double edged sword. Missing the playoffs is the perfect outcome for the team.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm feeling more-or-less optimistic. Like most, I think that Benning will make trades/FA signings in an attempt to make the playoffs. (I'm predicting a trade of the 2nd round pick and another asset before the draft.) But I'm pretty confident he'll fail, as success depends on pro scouting, and that's been uniformly terrible so far. That failure will mean he'll get fired, and the Canucks will have another lottery pick in '20.

The worrisome thing to me is whether the trades/signings will be bad enough to significantly damage the team and make the task faced by the incoming management group all the more difficult, with more bad contracts to deal with and a further weakened prospect pool.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I clicked cuz I'm a sucker but they've done that thing of breaking up a single article over multiple pages (for click counts? SEO?) and I bailed.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m just going to keep an open mind until after the draft and free agency. If we can get a good steal at the draft, and maybe some luck in free agency, maybe we won’t have to have this thread...

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'm feeling more-or-less optimistic. Like most, I think that Benning will make trades/FA signings in an attempt to make the playoffs. (I'm predicting a trade of the 2nd round pick and another asset before the draft.) But I'm pretty confident he'll fail, as success depends on pro scouting, and that's been uniformly terrible so far. That failure will mean he'll get fired, and the Canucks will have another lottery pick in '20.

The worrisome thing to me is whether the trades/signings will be bad enough to significantly damage the team and make the task faced by the incoming management group all the more difficult, with more bad contracts to deal with and a further weakened prospect pool.
I'm not overly worried about trades because he's failed to do any significant ones unless forced to at gunpoint.

I am very concerned about the first week of free agency. We need other teams to out-stupid Benning again that week.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm not overly worried about trades because he's failed to do any significant ones unless forced to at gunpoint.

I am very concerned about the first week of free agency. We need other teams to out-stupid Benning again that week.

I'd say that the McCann etc. deal for Gudbranson was significant, with no guns involved. So was the trade that brought Sutter. Both moves were bad.

I share your concern about free agency.

One way or another, I expect the team to be in a worse position than it is now by the time training camp opens.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
This has to be our last year of tanking, our window (hopefully) opens 2020-2021.

Lafreniere-Petey-Boeser
Benning gone.
*drool*

If not...

4.jpg

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The Nucks scrape into the playoffs next year,Petterson will be neutralized and they will be out in 4 games and pick around 15th overall. Sounds like the Canuck way.
There's also the part where they trade a couple of picks at the trade deadline for immediate veteran help in their run for the 8 spot. We can't forget that ;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's all going to come down to what happens on the blue line. If Hughes can have a Pettersson-type impact on the defense (which Benning has gone on record saying he expects) then it'll go a long way to making the post season, obviously. But they could also get lucky and score one of the bigger defensive FAs out there as well. So if they manage to somewhat remake the blue line, and get a significant contribution from Hughes, I could see a marginal improvement over last year.

That also assumes a relatively similar performance from Markstrom (and to a lesser extent Demko). I do expect Markstrom to level off and possibly take a small step back this coming year, but again it'll more substantially depend on what they can do with the defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->