2020 Roster Speculation Part 3: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well we know Vegas wanted to trade Fleury. We know they are already above the salary cap with a roster of 21. And we are taking 2 years of Fleury's salary! Buffalo may be the team who laughs at that idea.

Lehner is having shoulder surgery. I don't think they want to go into the season with Hutton as their #1 if his rehab takes longer than planned.

They will find other ways to get under the cap.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I still think I'm in the camp of wanting to have 2 of Eichel, Staal, Hall, Skinner, Reinhart, and Olofsson on each of the top 3 lines. Any line with 2 of these on it should be able to function with a competent player as its third. Being able to roll out 3 legitimate scoring lines would do wonders for this team. Particularly, this means I think I'd like to see Olofsson with Eichel, and one of Skinner or Hall with Reinhart and Eakins.

Olofsson-Eichel-XXXX
Skinner/Hall-Staal-YYYY
Skinner/Hall-Eakins-Reinhart

That would be my starting place. Competition for those two RW spots would be anyone and everyone including Okposo, Cozens, Mitts, Girgensons, Thompson, etc.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I still think I'm in the camp of wanting to have 2 of Eichel, Staal, Hall, Skinner, Reinhart, and Olofsson on each of the top 3 lines. Any line with 2 of these on it should be able to function with a competent player as its third. Being able to roll out 3 legitimate scoring lines would do wonders for this team. Particularly, this means I think I'd like to see Olofsson with Eichel, and one of Skinner or Hall with Reinhart and Eakins.

Olofsson-Eichel-XXXX
Skinner/Hall-Staal-YYYY
Skinner/Hall-Eakins-Reinhart

That would be my starting place. Competition for those two RW spots would be anyone and everyone including Okposo, Cozens, Mitts, Girgensons, Thompson, etc.
Just my gut feeling when it comes to line combos

Hall-eichel-Reinhart
Oloffson-staal-Cozens/TT
skinner-eakins-cozens/TT
Girgs-X-okposo
Rieder/lazar

Reactions: Eichel9

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone who thinks Hall will not be paired with Jack is kidding themselves.

Also Vogl said that it looks like there is no plan to upgrade on Hutton, which any sane person would recognize likely kills any shot we have at making the playoffs because with the dessicated corpse of Corey Schneider headed to Bridgeport Hutton has to be the worst goalie currently on an NHL roster.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Also Vogl said that it looks like there is no plan to upgrade on Hutton, which any sane person would recognize likely kills any shot we have at making the playoffs because with the dessicated corpse of Corey Schneider headed to Bridgeport Hutton has to be the worst goalie currently on an NHL roster.
I'm sure we'll see it at some point. But also, fans of teams he's been on don't seem to like that idea much, considering how much they both like having the puck on their own stick.

I for one love the idea of Eichel, Hall, and Skinner broke up. Pick your poison, because one of them is getting opposing teams' third lines.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto

Toronto made the playoffs with a backup putting up worse numbers than Hutton.

if Ullmark can handle the number 1 job, there’s no issue

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
Just my gut feeling when it comes to line combos

Hall-eichel-Reinhart
Oloffson-staal-Cozens/TT
skinner-eakins-cozens/TT
Girgs-X-okposo
Rieder/lazar
I can almost certainly skinner on "line 3" if his deployment last year shows us anything. Could see Reinhart playing wherever Olofsson goes too. Maybe one of Cozens or TT on the top line (they don't need a lot of help... just get them the puck). Could see Girgs with Skinner and Eakins as a puck retrieval alternative.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
I'm sure we'll see it at some point. But also, fans of teams he's been on don't seem to like that idea much, considering how much they both like having the puck on their own stick.

I for one love the idea of Eichel, Hall, and Skinner broke up. Pick your poison, because one of them is getting opposing teams' third lines.

I like that idea too...spreading the talent around should help make the match ups a lot harder for the other team.

Roll 3 scoring lines and have the 4th line just be an energy line and penalty killers.

Reactions: Wisent42

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

From Stall to Hall the media has been profoundly clueless about what Adams is planning to do. The didn't predict a single UFA signing. They predicted Montour wouldn't be qualified while expecting Kahun to be qualified.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Again, it's too early to say, the offseason is not over, but it will be really difficult for Adams to sort out the situation with Hutton and replace RD with LD, taking into account all the factors, our cap with a penalty, a heavy market and not many teams who have an extra cap or who will we need our RD. That being said, I still hope that Adams can solve at least one of these problems.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Again, it's too early to say, the offseason is not over, but it will be really difficult for Adams to sort out the situation with Hutton and replace RD with LD, taking into account all the factors, our cap with a penalty, a heavy market and not many teams who have an extra cap or who will we need our RD. That being said, I still hope that Adams can solve at least one of these problems.

You just need to do more cap neutral trades. It likely will involve multi-player trades.these have to wait till arbitration is done.

Trades are not done

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From Stall to Hall the media has been profoundly clueless about what Adams is planning to do. The didn't predict a single UFA signing. They predicted Montour wouldn't be qualified while expecting Kahun to be qualified.

Have they ever been clued in?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

For sure. I get the sense that the Sabre “insiders” all had sources in the Botterill group, and most/all were part of the purge.

There’s no telling what Adams does next, and I don’t think he’s done.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Rhd for lhd swap options For Montour/Miller

Martinez
Dekeyser
Cole
Nemeth
Leddy
3-5 million in salary

Anyone of those guys i'd be happy with. Balance the defence, have solid pairings instead of a pinballing everyone around

Reactions: Der Jaeger

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

Friedman on the instigators s couple days ago did say “quickly and it was referring to another point” that Buffalo was rumored to be searching for a goalie.

I’d bet on the national guy over the local guy any time in sports. Besides Cappacio with the Bills I don’t think any reporter can claim to have the inside scoop with either club in town.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Saw on the main board Frans Nielsen could be bought out in next round of buyouts. Only 9pts in 60s in 2019-2020, but 35pts in 2028-2019.

could he be a trade swap with Okposo?
1) Okposo is the more productive player
2) Okposo is the younger player
3) Nielsen is cheaper (750K per yr)
4) Nielsen plays center
5) Nielsen only has two years left on his contract as opposed to Okposo’s 3yrs left.

*Nielsen did play for Ralph for Team Europe a few yrs. ago

maybe Bernier/Nielsen for Okposo/Hutton?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
When does the KHL season end? Timur Bilyalov would have been a nice pickup to replace Hutton. He's only signed to a 1 year deal. The NHL won't start until at least January 1 and some are predicting early February.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
When does the KHL season end? Timur Bilyalov would have been a nice pickup to replace Hutton. He's only signed to a 1 year deal. The NHL won't start until at least January 1 and some are predicting early February.
Due to the pandemic, it is difficult to predict, but formally the playoffs should begin in early March 2021.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For sure. I get the sense that the Sabre “insiders” all had sources in the Botterill group, and most/all were part of the purge.

There’s no telling what Adams does next, and I don’t think he’s done.

Does anyone think Biron or any of them are connected at all? He’s been saying their goaltending is fine, that they just need to clean up the D. Not sure he’d say that about the D if the organization was confident about it.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Well a more defensively oriented scheme can make poor goalies look better, but playing a shell game with this team won't work. Of course, playing a possession game which the Sabres have the pieces to implement can also cut down on opposing shots, but then you run the risk of leaving the goalies out to dry.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Does anyone think Biron or any of them are connected at all? He’s been saying their goaltending is fine, that they just need to clean up the D. Not sure he’d say that about the D if the organization was confident about it.
I think the only people with insight into Adams plan are those with a need to know. If there's a leak it will come from the organization of a team Adams is talking with or an agent. I think they may be looking at Raanta but they can't do anything until they get their RFA's signed. A big arbitration award would be a killer. I think Adams will get Ullmark and Olofsson signed before they get to arbitration. I'm not as confident with Reinhart.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I have to think R2 and possibly Asplund will have a big leg up on their competition when camp rolls around. They’ll have at least 2 months of high level hockey under their belts before then.

UPL, Laaksonen And JJ Peterka should look sharp as well. But I don’t see them in the mix at the moment.

Reactions: Fezzy126

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Looking on CapFriendly I see we have two one way deals for Rochester depth guys. CJ Smith and JS Dea. Hold overs from Botts.

Does this get them traded because of the new “no 700k AHL vets “ approach?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Looking on CapFriendly I see we have hold two one way deals for Rochester depth guys. CJ Smith and JS Dea. Hold overs from Botts.

Does this get them traded because of the new “no 700k AHL vets “ approach?
I think Adams will see them as tweeners so figures they will get time with Buffalo if injuries hit, or if they go with the expanded black aces emergency squad with no AHL season. Realistically Dea is our best depth option unless Asplund and R2 made huge strides

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It is quite simple. You pair Hall with Jack and Skinner with Staal. Canes fans said Skinner and Staal were never really successful together but I think in a scenario where a top line with 2 superstars and a young 30 goal winger on the top line taking the top D assignments make it a whole new ball game.

And for the people who still want to see Sam at center, why not try out a lineup that sees Sam center a 3rd line with some talent?

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Thompson
Eakin-Reinhart-Cozens

We could finally see if Sam can drive his own line, he gets a guy who potted 22 goals 2 seasons ago and our elite high end forward prospect. That is something I wouldn't mind seeing. I could actually seeing a 3rd line like that being like the RAV line of the glory days. But for that to be possible Tage has to straight up be ready to shoulder the load and play good enough hockey to be a top 6 forward.

I think Mitts is a real wildcard here. I wonder if there is a deal out there that could be worked out that includes Mitts+Montour+2nd for a top 4 LHD+versatile 20 goal LW/RW that could either take Tages or Eakins spot in my hypothetical lineup. If we can ice a forward corps that has Sam Reinhart AND Dylan Cozens outside the top 6 but given an actual opportunity that could be real exciting. I know its a lot of typing when most likely you know we are probably almost definitely seeing

Hall/Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson/Reinhart
Hall/Skinner-Staal-Olofsson/Reinhart
Girgensons-Eakin-Cozens
Rieder-Lazar-Tage/Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad