2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Your plan will work great in EA Sports. In real life, it sucks.

Toronto isn't struggling defensively because a HHOF head coach like Mike Babcock 'doesn't have a system'. They're struggling because they have a Rielly pairing, a Barrie pairing, and a 3rd pairing. And no matter which pairing is on the ice, the Eichels and Kucherovs of the world have their eyes lighting up at the thought of going against them.

In real life, you need players and pairings you can use in high-leverage defensive minutes. If you don't have that, you're in a world of problems. And that's even before getting into the mess the PK would be.

Also, we have a top-5 PP in the NHL. Spending $6 million+ to tinker with our biggest strength while we leave gaping holes in other areas of the roster is ... not smart. We're already a terrible defensive team being propped up by a Vezina-level season from our starting goalie. We need to tighten up our blueline defensively, not make it worse.

the Belly aching about the Leafs is getting lazy and boring. its also irrelevant. Teams scout players, not players in the system. Otherwise teams would never trade for anyone playing on bottom dweller.

Yes Leafs suck at defence and yes Barrie is part of that.

Their reality doesnt have a direct parallel to a Canuck reality that would include Barrie.

We have forwards who back-checks and actually care when they dont have the puck and we also have better defenders than the Cody Ceci or Martin Marincin, or Justin Holl or Travis Dermott of the Leafs.

I agree our defence needs help thats why i said getting a cheap - defensive minded partner for Hughes.
Barrie is essentially a Stecher upgrade. The same Stecher who gets blown up and boxed out every game.

If Tanev wants to sign cheap then awesome,

Hughes-Tanev
Edler- Barrie
Fattenberg- Myers
Benn

If Tanev doesnt want to sign cheap, then move on , we dont need to invest money on an asset that is always injured.

Barrie will make this team better.

My idea for a perfect summer goes as follows

-Attach Baertschi/Sutter/Beagle with Virtanen for a draft pick
- Eriksson and Canucks mutually agree to terminate contract (retirement)
-Ferland retires and lives the best quality of life possible before it gets worse with more concussions.
- Sign Markstrom and Toffoli
- Get a playmaker in the top 9
- Upgrade defence with an offensive dman or at least a 2 way dman
- Trade Demko, either to improve team or create more space as well. we will lose him for nothing anyways to Seattle.

member 290103

Canucks desperately need a proper assistant GM to help Benning get creative to create cap space. Too bad they fired the guy that would have been able to help make that happen.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
There are UFA's available that would be cheaper and more durable than Tanev.

We also have guys that can develop into that role Rafferty, Chatfield, Brisbois, they wont be as good as Tanev to begin with but Tanev being sidelines is useless.

UFA RD Dmen:

Peitrangelo
Barrie
Shattenkirk
Hamonic
Demelo
Braun
Gudas
Psyk
Kevan Miller
Polak
Van riemsdyk
Ruutta

My point is we have options there and dont need to make Tanev a priority. We need to set a limit on what we are comfortable with paying him knowing he will be injured a lot.
Bogosian

Can you take a shot at Building a defence that can PP, PK, 5 on 5 with balanced pairings? Take into account handedness, salary, term and which of those players can be brought to Vancouver for less than Tanev?

Now, is there one (or more) who fits and can do what Tanev can do and who will come here for the right term and $$ amount?

I find it doubtful and very difficult to believe (as I always have). I believe if we let him go, we will constantly be looking for a player like him who can do what he can do, while allowing QH to be such a dynamic force! Can you imagine QH playing with Gudubranson, for example, all year? Yikes

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The only way I'm in favor of Barrie is if we can dump Myers at the draft.

Then, you could have Barrie in a somewhat sheltered ES role provided you add an ES minute munching right side guy.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Funny how Tanev went from being an injury-prone player about to decline who we need to move immediately to an essential piece we can't replace as soon as it began to suit people's ideologies regarding management.

Because if we trade him we might actually get some pieces moving forward.

Do you think we can afford to lose him for nothing?

Also, I really don't like Benning and even I'm shocked the best RHD he's managed to bring in in over half a decade is an overpaid Myers. Maybe the reality that there is almost zero hope that Tanev can be replaced has sunk in?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
the Belly aching about the Leafs is getting lazy and boring. its also irrelevant. Teams scout players, not players in the system. Otherwise teams would never trade for anyone playing on bottom dweller.

Yes Leafs suck at defence and yes Barrie is part of that.

Their reality doesnt have a direct parallel to a Canuck reality that would include Barrie.

We have forwards who back-checks and actually care when they dont have the puck and we also have better defenders than the Cody Ceci or Martin Marincin, or Justin Holl or Travis Dermott of the Leafs.

I agree our defence needs help thats why i said getting a cheap - defensive minded partner for Hughes.
Barrie is essentially a Stecher upgrade. The same Stecher who gets blown up and boxed out every game.

If Tanev wants to sign cheap then awesome,

Hughes-Tanev
Edler- Barrie
Fattenberg- Myers
Benn

If Tanev doesnt want to sign cheap, then move on , we dont need to invest money on an asset that is always injured.

Barrie will make this team better.

My idea for a perfect summer goes as follows

-Attach Baertschi/Sutter/Beagle with Virtanen for a draft pick
- Eriksson and Canucks mutually agree to terminate contract (retirement)
-Ferland retires and lives the best quality of life possible before it gets worse with more concussions.
- Sign Markstrom and Toffoli
- Get a playmaker in the top 9
- Upgrade defence with an offensive dman or at least a 2 way dman
- Trade Demko, either to improve team or create more space as well. we will lose him for nothing anyways to Seattle.
Ferland isn't going to retire unless at some point a mandated physical checkup shows he can play and he decides he doesn't want the risk. For the time being, and probably for the next long while unless his symptoms clear up completely, he'll stay on the LTIR. He isn't going to simply throw away several million dollars. Eriksson almost certainly won't, either. When your projection includes things you really want to happen and know probably won't, it isn't a projection anymore.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Also, I really don't like Benning and even I'm shocked the best RHD he's managed to bring in in over half a decade is an overpaid Myers. Maybe the reality that there is almost zero hope that Tanev can be replaced has sunk in?

In fairness to Benning he brought in Stecher.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

Sometimes you have to let a player go if you can't retain them. The alternative in this case was to throw away the season. That was never going to happen. And yes, it's possible he can be replaced. There are some interesting projects on defence, none of them sure things, and there are cheaper and slightly inferior options on the UFA market. These are imperfect solutions. The failure of a perfect one to materialize isn't an indictment of anyone.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
In fairness to Benning he brought in Stecher.

Yes and I really like Stetcher. Not the best year for him, though. If you want him to fill Tanev's shoes better bring back Hutton since Stetcher played his best with him!

Sometimes you have to let a player go if you can't retain them. The alternative in this case was to throw away the season. That was never going to happen. And yes, it's possible he can be replaced. There are some interesting projects on defence, none of them sure things, and there are cheaper and slightly inferior options on the UFA market. These are imperfect solutions. The failure of a perfect one to materialize isn't an indictment of anyone.

I understand we cant keep players forever. What I'm upset about is that we're going to lose another player for nothing. I don't think teams in our position should be letting players walk, especially when it's an obvious mismanagement of the cap since it's not like Tanev is redundant on the team with prospects nipping at his heels. It's not that I think Tanev is an irreplaceable player, it's that I have zero faith in our management bringing in a replacement due to their track record.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised to see Stetcher re-sign after not being qualified. His quotes indicate that he loves to be here more so than any other player. Unless he get's a ridiculous offer from somewhere else, he could be back here for under 2 million.

Tanev's healthy streak may be more than an anomaly. Playing with Hughes obviously helps as the play is going the other way more often than not, but he's also wearing more protective gear to prevent injuries from blocking shots.

Ben Kuzma: Canucks’ shot-blocking Benn, Tanev get creative for better protection

“With all the padding I have on the sides, he (Tanev) was checking mine,” Benn said Saturday. “I flattened mine out and made them longer and made sure they’re a little bit bigger than most shin pads. It’s just purely for shot-blocking.”

Tanev was tired of shots finding spots where he didn’t have adequate protection. He worked in concert with the Canucks’ equipment staff, and an outside source, to use materials that aren’t included in conventional shin-pad design.

“I skated with the gear all summer and they did a really good job redesigning it,” said Tanev. “It’s going to help me a lot. There are certain areas in normal pads that are vulnerable a bit and led to back-to-back broken legs for me.”

That seems to be making a bigger impact that any other factor as Tanev still plays heavy minutes on the penalty kill and is top 5 in the league in blocked shots. If Tanev's health this year can be directly attributed to this equipment change, then he would definitely be worth keeping. He's a great fit with Hughes, still our best PK defenseman and an absolute warrior.

Reactions: travis scott

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I understand we cant keep players forever. What I'm upset about is that we're going to lose another player for nothing. I don't think teams in our position should be letting players walk, especially when it's an obvious mismanagement of the cap since it's not like Tanev is redundant on the team with prospects nipping at his heels. It's not that I think Tanev is an irreplaceable player, it's that I have zero faith in our management bringing in a replacement due to their track record.
Teams lose players for nothing. Teams get players for nothing. Realistically, if the goal is to compete this year -- and you can dispute that this is a worthy goal, and many do -- Tanev wasn't getting traded. Teams that intend to compete generally don't plan on trading UFAs. Losing them is the cost of doing business, like being shitty is the cost of rebuilding and moving UFAs for futures. I didn't think competing this year was a good idea, but I've been surprised by how successful it has been. I don't think being on the fence about this is waffling for most people. Winning really does have lasting benefits, and the big acquisition of the offseason is young and on a great contract. It just wish Benning hadn't signed so many mediocre, overpaid depth forwards

Reactions: NuxFan09

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
don't think so. The Barrie hate is over-exagurated . He is a horrible horrible fit in the Leafs system, or lack there of. He is still an elite puck mover and Edler makes anyone he plays with better.

That D-core would make us waaay more of a threat than we are now. Guys like Tanev and Stecher are great but they arent what the new age NHL defence is. We cant have both of them on the same team.
Can't have stetcher and Tanev on the same team.

But Hughes, Barrie, and myers is A ok.

Gotcha.
:laugh:

Reactions: travis scott

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Whatever they do, I hope they fight the Luongo recapture this offseason. They paid the price this year, that should be more than enough. Forgive it as an error on a grandfathered deal and move on. Stupid penalty.

member 290103

Whatever they do, I hope they fight the Luongo recapture this offseason. They paid the price this year, that should be more than enough. Forgive it as an error on a grandfathered deal and move on. Stupid penalty.

It’s such a f***ing scam. If the Canucks did what Florida did, there would be massive penalties....get a player to retire then hire him back for the same money...how is that not cap circumventing? f***ing ludicrous.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
It’s such a f*cking scam. If the Canucks did what Florida did, there would be massive penalties....get a player to retire then hire him back for the same money...how is that not cap circumventing? f*cking ludicrous.
I wonder if LE would like to be a Swedish ‘scout’ for 2 years... what do they make...2.5 mil a year? Sounds about right

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Ya they would actually because Tanev will be sideline as per the norm. As good as Tanev is, he is no good to us on the LTIR.

I would love to get Barrie at a home-town discount of around 6mil or less then move on from Tanev and Stecher.

Hughes- xxx ( Cheap stay at home Dman that can PK)
Edler- Barrie
Fatenberg- Myers
Benn

yes please!
Yea please? That defense is f***in garbage :laugh:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Tanev should be priority #1 in the offseason, not Markstrom or Toffoli. Those guys can be replaced. Who is gonna replace Tanev. Trevor vanRiemsdyk? Jalen Chatfield?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tanev should be priority #1 in the offseason, not Markstrom or Toffoli. Those guys can be replaced. Who is gonna replace Tanev. Trevor vanRiemsdyk? Jalen Chatfield?

I was thinking this as well. The defense is already suspect, and Tanev is a stalwart (minus the injuries). Benning has not procured a better pro-defender than him in 6 years. He should be kept above all.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Tanev needs to be resigned.

We can clear cap through Sutter, Baertschi, Benn and hopefully one or more if Eriksson and Ferland. Stetcher can walk and we can replace him with Rafferty/Tryamkin.
Toffoli and Markstrom should be resigned as well.

Miller-Petey-Toffoli
Pearson-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-FA
MacAwen

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Rafferty/Tryamkin
Fatenberg/Juolevi-Myers
Juolevi/Fatenberg

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

The issue is Florida wanted Luongo to retire as it was in their interest. I don't remember why, I think elliot Friedmen had written about it. The Failure is on the Canucks for not trading hell anything to Florida, to then put him on LTIR. This would have helped both teams out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Luongo recapture needed to be addressed at the time, can't imagine they do anything about it now.

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad