2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Galchenyuk is and was a cap dump. Period. Get real.
But his $4.9M contract expires after this season, so there's no term on the salary and they could re-sign him at a cheaper deal..Zuckers salary is only $600K difference.

Still, Galchenyuk has recorded at least 17 goals and 41 points in each of the last five seasons, finishing with 19 goals in each of the last two, 20-goals in the 2014-15 season and over 50 points twice in that time. To say he doesn’t have value would be foolish and at 25 years old, he still has the potential to be a dynamic offensive threat in the right situation.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think we are stuck with Eriksson till the team buys him out next year. Think the roster ends up looking something like this

Miller - Petterson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - One of Gaudette or Virtanen (the other being traded)
Roussel - 3rd line C - Eriksson (pure shutdown line)
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Sutter

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Myers
One of Rathbone or Juolevi - Benn
Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko

Baertschi (buried)

It fits under the cap (barely). If the 3rd pairing is somewhat competent and the team is able to acquire a match-up 3rd line C I think it will be a better team. Not as great as if had a ton of cap space and were able to use the flat cap to our advantage but here we are.
lol

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind are all NHL ready sometime in the next season, would trading Gaudette and Virtanen in a package be a option? I don't see them being fits on the 2nd line long term and you cant really play them together on the 3rd line because their lack of defensive ability.

Furthermore, if Ferland is LTIR, it would make bringing back Tanev on a 2-3 year deal essential.
You mention 3 wingers that may be NHL ready and use it to propose trading a center? No thanks. No reason to trade Gaudette at all.

I wouldn't bet much on all being ready next year anyways. Lind probably the closest but wouldn't be surprised if Hog and Pod need some AHL time to acclimatize to NA pro hockey.

Next season outlook with no major moves:
Top 6:
Miller
Pettersson
Boeser
Pearson
Horvat

Bottom 6 Options:
Lind
Sutter
Beagle
Motte
Gaudette
MacEwan
Eriksson
Rousell
Gagjovich
Jasek

Ferland - LTIR
Virtanen - gone

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I mean, the team made the playoffs which is good, but I wouldn’t put up a banner or order my Jim Benning statue just yet.

tenor.gif

Saying the year was a success isn't the same as saying Management is the greatest ever and have never made a single error.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I mean...he’s had what, three good games? Might want to reign in your enthusiasm a bit.

Do you really think he a) holds up physically for a whole year and b) plays all of next year the way he’s playing now?

Counting on Sutter to play 82 games the way he’s played over the past week when we have multiple years of watching this player seems rather dubious.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
But his $4.9M contract expires after this season, so there's no term on the salary and they could re-sign him at a cheaper deal..Zuckers salary is only $600K difference.

Still, Galchenyuk has recorded at least 17 goals and 41 points in each of the last five seasons, finishing with 19 goals in each of the last two, 20-goals in the 2014-15 season and over 50 points twice in that time. To say he doesn’t have value would be foolish and at 25 years old, he still has the potential to be a dynamic offensive threat in the right situation.

LOL. Galchenyuk was pure ass for Pittsburgh, healthy scratched numerous times. Don't give a shit about previous seasons, if that mattered at all Sven Baertschi would have trade value.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
LOL. Galchenyuk was pure ass for Pittsburgh, healthy scratched numerous times. Don't give a shit about previous seasons, if that mattered at all Sven Baertschi would have trade value.

Tanner Pearson was pure ass, and healthy scratched for Pittsburgh as well...How did that turn out for the Canucks..?...Galchenyuk has already demonstrated that he's capable of putting up points..and he's only 25...he has value... The Zucker/Galchenyuk and a 1st was a 'compete on the fly move'..Hardly a 'tanking' move...The Wild had been trying to trade Zucker a year before Guerin became GM.

Baertschi has put up 18 goals once ...

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Who did the Wild sell at the deadline..?...Zucker for Galchenyuk and a 1st looks like a legit hockey trade to me?

Galchenyuk was a cap dump, expiring deal and clearly inferior to Zucker who's under contract past this year, 1st rounder + a prospect too..that's a clear move for the future in my eyes, they didn't expect to make the playoffs

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd take a flyer on Galchenyuk's talent any day. He does the one thing you can't teach any player to do, he's 26, and he's probably looking for a 1 year deal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I mean...he’s had what, three good games? Might want to reign in your enthusiasm a bit.

Do you really think he a) holds up physically for a whole year and b) plays all of next year the way he’s playing now?

Counting on Sutter to play 82 games the way he’s played over the past week when we have multiple years of watching this player seems rather dubious.
Just poking some fun at the quote.

Sutter should garner a fair bit of interest after this playoffs if he keeps playing like this if we want to go that route. And is currently an ideal player to blend Gaudette into the role(yes he does need to stay healthy somewhat)

I actually would love to use him as a 4C if he could stay healthy and Gaudette on a 3C scoring line for most of next year and see what happens. On an expiring contract if we can fit him in it's a nice short term filler for that role while Gaudette gets his 200ft game together. I disagree that it's an issue at all going into next year. Nice to have options down the middle and another year to see if Gaudette can be relied upon as a 3c

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Just poking some fun at the quote.

Sutter should garner a fair bit of interest after this playoffs if he keeps playing like this if we want to go that route. And is currently an ideal player to blend Gaudette into the role(yes he does need to stay healthy somewhat)

I think that is very wishful thinking. If they Canucks can move him without retention or taking salary back they take that trade and run laughing as fast as they can.

I actually would love to use him as a 4C if he could stay healthy and Gaudette on a 3C scoring line for most of next year and see what happens. On an expiring contract if we can fit him in it's a nice short term filler for that role while Gaudette gets his 200ft game together. I disagree that it's an issue at all going into next year. Nice to have options down the middle and another year to see if Gaudette can be relied upon as a 3c

Well that seems rather optimistic and goes against several realities - 1) Gaudette needs to be sheltered to the extent he's currently a healthy scratch, he may never fully "get his 200 ft game together " and always have to be somewhat sheltered (presumably less so than now) and 2) - that means Horvat gets the hard minutes again, when he doesn't do particularly well in those minutes. Acquiring a true shutdown C would improve the team both defensively and offensively in that it frees up the 2nd line to concentrate more on offence. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Galchenyuk was a cap dump, expiring deal and clearly inferior to Zucker who's under contract past this year, 1st rounder + a prospect too..that's a clear move for the future in my eyes, they didn't expect to make the playoffs
I'm not debating that the deal was a 'compete with an eye to the future' deal..or that Zucker is the better player...Galchenyuk does have value , they can still re-sign at a discount.

The Wild were on a tear in 2020 ,and had had the 4th best point percentage in the Western Conference since New Years Day. ..This whole narrative of they were' not trying to make the playoffs ' or they were 'tanking' is garbage.

This trade was made almost 6 weeks after New Years...

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Starting to think team should trade picks to get rid of salary rather than let key players like Tanev go. Team can now attract low cost ufa's for cheap depth. Not ideal but mistakes were made rather keep team together to keep momentum going. If we need to trade our first to keep Tanev probably is worth it.

Nov 1, 2011
Was the move from RW to C a big advantage for Sutter?

I'd say its a combo of that and the fact that you can clutch and grab a lot more in the playoffs.

This is probably the last year the team can carry both Sutter and Beagle as tying up that much cash on your 4th line is crazy given the current cap and Hughes and Petterson needing their raises.

This year and next may be our best chance at the Cup with thr current core as depth will need to be sacrificed to fit Petey and Huggy.

I wonder if Petey would sign a sweetheart 8 x $7.5m deal to set the bar for the team. He seems like that kind of guy (I.e. wants to win vs earn the most - not meaning cheritable)

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Man I’ve been a Virtanen defender about as consistently as you can be considering all the disappointments along the way, I think he might be my number one defended Canuck of all time and I’m so very afraid to cut ties with him because of the ever lasting Cam Neely effect but if I dont see it this playoffs Id move on from him

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Man I’ve been a Virtanen defender about as consistently as you can be considering all the disappointments along the way, I think he might be my number one defended Canuck of all time and I’m so very afraid to cut ties with him because of the ever lasting Cam Neely effect but if I dont see it this playoffs Id move on from him

If we didn't have cap issues I would keep Virtanen. We will lose players this offseason. Especially, if Ferland goes on LTIR. If it's Virtanen, we can get an asset back. I'd resign Leivo as a stop gap until Pod signs.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the team could roll with Sutter as their 3C next year and let Gaudette compete with Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwen to fill out the RW slots it would be a big step to getting this team out of their cap mess. Avoids the Toffoli contract and also allows them to save assets in a Sutter cap dump trade.

Reactions: sting101

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Makes little sense to trade Sutter going into his expiring year. If Benning is set on packaging good assets to get rid of bad contracts, then he should focus on Beagle, Baertschi, Benn and Ferland.

Get the Luongo penalty off the books somehow.

Eriksson isn't going anywhere.

The better assets that are in flux are: Virtanen, Stecher and Demko.

Last, if there's a market for Roussel they should explore it.

Then just trade Sutter and Pearson at the TDL or let them walk. This sets up the major contracts going to Pettersson and Hughes.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Montreal almost traded for Baertschi at the TDL supposedly. Perhaps that trade can be revisit that trade. At this point, getting him off the books is all that matters. I'd strongly consider buying out Beagle outright. While we only save 800k going into next season, it'll be a 400k caphit going into 2022-23 which is when we need money for Pettersson and Hughes.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Montreal almost traded for Baertschi at the TDL supposedly. Perhaps that trade can be revisit that trade. At this point, getting him off the books is all that matters. I'd strongly consider buying out Beagle outright. While we only save 800k going into next season, it'll be a 400k caphit going into 2022-23 which is when we need money for Pettersson and Hughes.

yes next season isn’t the season to be concerned about cap space, we can likely get Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli signed if we let Stetcher walk and don’t re-up Virtanen. Ferlund is likely on LTIR all season but we need his cap hit at the beginning of the season and I would wonder if Baertschi would sign a mutual to free himself to sign a 1 million show me contract for next year, I think the guy is expecting to try and carve out another 5 years at least and won’t get that opportunity being buried in the AHL for another season, gotta stay relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad