2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
hot takes

the team is not signing any high profile external ufas for an extended period. as cap room comes free it will go to raises for players already on the roster.

not saying no trades but trades are also going to be rarer for a while, and ufas are going to have limited mobility and limited desire to move.

if and when the ufa window opens i would be surprised if the canucks sign anyone external to the franchise except perhaps a utility dman. but i think stecher will re-sign with us and i am not sure they will re-sign fanta, not because they will replace him but because they will promote from within to reduce payroll as well as cap.

i think the era of extra guys stashed in the ahl on one way contracts is over for a while. it is a great time to be a canuck prospect.

Reactions: Blue and Green

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
How much better is Pietrangelo than Hughes? By signing him at 11mil youre allowing Hughes agent to start at 9mil.
You get pettersson and hughes signed first so you have hughes, pettersson at better prices. Right now the benchmarks for them on the team are Edler/Myers 5mil and Boeser 6mil. If you go out and overpay like the leafs did then you gotta pay your own guys based on that contract

I'm not arguing for the team to sign him. There is no way this team can sign Pietrangelo currently.

In an alternate world where the team did not commit years and > 20 million to 4th liners, and 6 million to Myers then at least you can have that conversation. Two Norris candidates for the next 3 years with EP, Hughes, Brock, Miller, and Bo as your core. That's a 3 year Stanley cup window, IMO.

Toronto was able to have that conversation a few years ago and decided to spend the money on Tavares. I'm thinking that was a mistake. They needed a dman so badly and were set at forwards for the forseeable future. Perhaps got antsy with a lot of capspace and did not want to wait for that #1 dman to come along.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Since Pettersson and Hughes can be extended first day of the season I wouldnt be surprised depending on the Canucks UFAs that significant cap opens up.
Sounds like Demko is available, Virtanen and Stetcher as well. Then all the picks and some prospects.
Myers didnt have a bad season, so he didnt make himself untradable.

Last edited:

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
After canucks lose series to the wild

- Green Out. Hire someone like Gallant
- Lafreniere to canucks
- Fire Benning
-- New GM gonna have to fix benning's mess and trade useless vets somehow

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Since Pettersson and Hughes can be extended first day of the season I wouldnt be surprised depending on the Canucks UFAs that significant cap opens up.
Sounds like Demko is available, Virtanen and Stetcher as well. Then all the picks and some prospects.
Myers didnt have a bad season, so he didnt make himself untradable.

A decent 4th defenseman owed $24M over the next four seasons is absolutely untradeable.

Myers isn't the outright liability that so many of Benning's free agent additions are, but that contract is immovable.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
hot takes

the team is not signing any high profile external ufas for an extended period. as cap room comes free it will go to raises for players already on the roster.

not saying no trades but trades are also going to be rarer for a while, and ufas are going to have limited mobility and limited desire to move.

if and when the ufa window opens i would be surprised if the canucks sign anyone external to the franchise except perhaps a utility dman. but i think stecher will re-sign with us and i am not sure they will re-sign fanta, not because they will replace him but because they will promote from within to reduce payroll as well as cap.

i think the era of extra guys stashed in the ahl on one way contracts is over for a while. it is a great time to be a canuck prospect.

Yup. I even think Sven Baertschi has potential future with the Canucks next season.

In terms of moving salary I out, I don't know what the Canucks can do. I think Pearson is the only really expendable guy with a decent cap hit who might have some value.

Other than that, I wonder if an Eriksson/Demko/Virtanen package might interest some teams.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I guess this is the thread I should start banging the drum for a Bo Horvat for Seth Jones trade? :D

Well it is the _fantasy_ GM thread...

I wouldn’t trade Horvat. Realistically, it’s not a trade you’re likely to win. The pieces around Horvat should be replaced though.

Pearson has been Ok, but his career was on the skids before coming here. Horvat needs better quality line mates and he needs Sutter/Beagle to actually be useful. Then he will be poised to be better.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
1. Lose the play-in.

2. Win the lottery.

3. Trade 1OA for 3OA + 5OV

4. Draft Stutzle + Drysdale.

Almost forgot. Fire Benning before the draft.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Got curious about this and ranked the draft year points-per-game for every CHL first overall pick since Crosby:

1.51 Hischier
1.56 Nugent-Hopkins
1.64 Yakupov
1.7 MacKinnon
1.72 Stamkos
1.85 Tavares
2.1 Hall
2.15 Lafreniere
2.5 Kane
2.55 McDavid

So clearly there's a threshold at around ~1.7PPG that seperates the pretenders from the contenders. Lafreniere himself is in absolutely ELITE company, behind only McDavid and Kane.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Got curious about this and ranked the draft year points-per-game for every CHL first overall pick since Crosby:

1.51 Hischier
1.56 Nugent-Hopkins
1.64 Yakupov
1.7 MacKinnon
1.72 Stamkos
1.85 Tavares
2.1 Hall
2.15 Lafreniere
2.5 Kane
2.55 McDavid

So clearly there's a threshold at around ~1.7PPG that seperates the pretenders from the contenders. Lafreniere himself is in absolutely ELITE company, behind only McDavid and Kane.
His playmaking ability is incredible. He uses speed changes and different release points and degrees of force on passes to get teammates the puck with just a split second more time than they might have had otherwise, often in tight to the net. I think he's going to be a superstar.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I know Markstrom was the main reason this team even made it into the play-ins, but he has not looked great since the restart.

Trying to get a semblance of a team under the flat cap while trying to resign Markstrom, Tanev and/or Toffoli, I think it might be time to move on from Markstrom.

He will want a good AAV on decent term. With Demko in the fold, it may be more prudent to go with Demko in a 50/50 split with a vet. It's not like this team is competing for a Cup in the next couple years anyway.

Bring back Tanev if the price is right.

That leaves Toffoli. It probably doesn't make sense but given management not wanting the heat from fans in not resigning him after giving up so much, they will likely try to as best they can.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There is no way Stl is going to let Pietrangelo go..so we can only dream

I don't know about that. Starting next season the Blues have $12M tied up on right-side D in Parayko and Faulk. They're up against the cap. The Blues are a very smartly run team, they let Shattenkirk walk a few seasons back. All the noise out of St. Louis right now is that this is run is Pietrangelo's swan song.

As for projecting Pietrangelo's contract, it's tough. Until a few months ago I would have predicted a Karlsson-esque 8 year deal with an 8 figure cap hit. However, I think most teams are wising up a bit to signing long-term deals to players on the wrong side of thirty. Jake Muzzin signed a 4 year, ~$5.5M extension with the Leafs, so

So if I had to predict a deal for Pietrangelo I would say 5 years, $9.5M cap hit (which would be perfect for the Canucks btw, had we not wasted so much money on Eriksson/Sutter/Beagle/Myers/Baertschi/Roussel/Ferland).

Last edited:

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
After canucks lose series to the wild

- Green Out. Hire someone like Gallant
- Lafreniere to canucks
- Fire Benning
-- New GM gonna have to fix benning's mess and trade useless vets somehow
Green out would be nice to see,as I have not been a fan of his from the beginning...Firing Benning and his Buddy Weisbrod would be a dream.
Drafting #1 is a dream..we dont have that luck ever. So I'm not getting my Hope's up on Lafreniere..

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Really think the team should let Markstrom walk. I have a feeling that's a bad contract waiting to happen with how volatile goalie performances can be and his current age. Would look at a duo of Demko/1B FA on a short team deal.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If I were to establish a guiding star for the franchise it would be to grow past this stubborn fixation with the current roster. We've seen a number of Cup winners and successful playoffs teams over the modern era show that foundational pieces are what you build on, and the rest of the roster is what needs to shift and adapt over the seasons to support that foundation. The pieces surrounding Toews/Kane/Keith, Crosby/Malkin, etc changed A LOT over the years. What frustrates me about the Canucks is how we seem to be locking ourselves in to "foundation" players that don't even come remotely close to fitting that bill. These no-movement clauses are absolutely brutal, the long term contracts are absolutely brutal. I know I am making this sound oversimplified, and easy, but that fundamental idea just seems lost right now.

The Canucks really have an opportunity now that we finally have two players worthy of that foundational pedigree. How awesome is that? We didn't even need those coveted top 3 picks in the draft that we thought we needed. It happened anyways.

Foundational
:
Pettersson
Hughes

Key pieces but not unmovable:
Horvat
JT Miller
Boeser
Markstrom

Literally everyone else on the roster should not be viewed as a long-term fixture.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If I were to establish a guiding star for the franchise it would be to grow past this stubborn fixation with the current roster. We've seen a number of Cup winners and successful playoffs teams over the modern era show that foundational pieces are what you build on, and the rest of the roster is what needs to shift and adapt over the seasons to support that foundation. The pieces surrounding Toews/Kane/Keith, Crosby/Malkin, etc changed A LOT over the years. What frustrates me about the Canucks is how we seem to be locking ourselves in to "foundation" players that don't even come remotely close to fitting that bill. These no-movement clauses are absolutely brutal, the long term contracts are absolutely brutal. I know I am making this sound oversimplified, and easy, but that fundamental idea just seems lost right now.

The Canucks really have an opportunity now that we finally have two players worthy of that foundational pedigree. How awesome is that? We didn't even need those coveted top 3 picks in the draft that we thought we needed. It happened anyways.

Foundational
:
Pettersson
Hughes

Horvat
JT Miller
Boeser
Markstrom

Literally everyone else on the roster should not be viewed as a long-term fixture.
This is spot on.

Reactions: The Poacher

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Foundational
:
Pettersson
Hughes

Horvat
JT Miller
Boeser
Markstrom

Agreed.

That's why if Markstrom is re-signed, Demko should be traded as he will need to be exposed in the expansion draft.

If Virtanen is not in the plans, I would see what his value is as well. But he should not be given away for peanuts. Either a swap for a similar player struggling on another team or picks.

I think given the flat cap, there will be alot of decent middle 6/bottom 6 players squeezed out and available for cheap. Only problem is alleviating the crap currently on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad