2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Would a cash-poor team like the Panthers look at an Eriksson+ for Stralman swap? That trade saves them a bunch of money, and they have Ekblad and an emerging top 4 right side dman in Weegar.

Would rather trade for Weegar, but assuming they don’t wan to deal him, Stralman is an obvious piece they would want to dump.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Oof I would not want Stralman. Took a severe step back this year, and between him and Myers we'd have $11M tied up in right-side defenders who you don't want in a matchup role. Plus would be the nail in the coffin for Stecher as a Canuck.

I wonder if Eriksson for Connolly is a possibility. Would save the Panthers about $5M in actual dollars, and give Vancouver a great second line RW (local boy too).

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Oof I would not want Stralman. Took a severe step back this year, and between him and Myers we'd have $11M tied up in right-side defenders who you don't want in a matchup role. Plus would be the nail in the coffin for Stecher as a Canuck.

I wonder if Eriksson for Connolly is a possibility. Would save the Panthers about $5M in actual dollars, and give Vancouver a great second line RW (local boy too).

I think the Canucks would get more value out of Stralman than they get out of Eriksson. Would prefer to carry a $5.5mil Stralman over $8.5mil or so for Eriksson and Stecher...

Would also take Connolly over Erikssson as well. Not sure that is as enticing for Florida though. They could be losing their top 2 RW’ers to free agency this offseason.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Connolly over the next two seasons = $7M total in both cap hit and real $. Eriksson = $12M in cap hit, $5M in real $. On top of that, Connolly is a much better player. $2M in cash savings for Florida to take a much worse player plus $5M more in cap hit, no way.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Connolly over the next two seasons = $7M total in both cap hit and real $. Eriksson = $12M in cap hit, $5M in real $. On top of that, Connolly is a much better player. $2M in cash savings for Florida to take a much worse player plus $5M more in cap hit, no way.

Connolly is signed for 3 more seasons, not 2. $10.5M total. But yeah, the Canucks would need to throw a sweetener into the deal, I didn't mean it as a 1-for-1 swap.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Connolly is signed for 3 more seasons, not 2. $10.5M total. But yeah, the Canucks would need to throw a sweetener into the deal, I didn't mean it as a 1-for-1 swap.

Yeah, but it's not a bad contract so the third year doesn't matter unless he falls off of a cliff, and he'll only be 30 that season. It's not a matter of tossing in a sweetener, it would require a serious asset just to get rid of Loui's contract and then another useful asset to acquire Connolly.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, Connolly for Eriksson doesn’t make nearly as much sense on the Panthers end. Especially if Hoffman and Dadonov walk.

But if they really like Weegar, and pay him accordingly, that’s a ton of cap invested in the right side D.

Don’t see many teams stepping up to take Stralman off their hands.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I hope Sutter’s play convinces someone he’s still useful and he’s traded.

However, Benning might fall in love again and keep him round.

Stecher also needs to be kept round. Thinking more and more Tanev is a goner.

Pearson would be great to trade for something. I know Loui likely goes nowhere but atleast he does ok on Horvats line. JD Burke did a good analysis of that on the radio this morning.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think we are stuck with Eriksson till the team buys him out next year. Think the roster ends up looking something like this

Miller - Petterson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - One of Gaudette or Virtanen (the other being traded)
Roussel - 3rd line C - Eriksson (pure shutdown line)
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Sutter

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Myers
One of Rathbone or Juolevi - Benn
Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko

Baertschi (buried)

It fits under the cap (barely). If the 3rd pairing is somewhat competent and the team is able to acquire a match-up 3rd line C I think it will be a better team. Not as great as if had a ton of cap space and were able to use the flat cap to our advantage but here we are.

Reactions: m9

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah, but it's not a bad contract so the third year doesn't matter unless he falls off of a cliff, and he'll only be 30 that season. It's not a matter of tossing in a sweetener, it would require a serious asset just to get rid of Loui's contract and then another useful asset to acquire Connolly.

For cash poor orgs I don't see a big reason to break it down by year - dollars out is dollars out. Cap considerations aside, if you're saving an org $5M in cash, that has a lot of value.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think we are stuck with Eriksson till the team buys him out next year. Think the roster ends up looking something like this

Miller - Petterson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - One of Gaudette or Virtanen (the other being traded)
Roussel - 3rd line C - Eriksson (pure shutdown line)
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Sutter

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Myers
One of Rathbone or Juolevi - Benn
Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko

Baertschi (buried)

It fits under the cap (barely). If the 3rd pairing is somewhat competent and the team is able to acquire a match-up 3rd line C I think it will be a better team. Not as great as if had a ton of cap space and were able to use the flat cap to our advantage but here we are.

This team sucks...and there's no way Travis Green is coaching a roster where Gaudette or Virtanen get to play Horvat's tough defensive minutes.

I do agree with you that the Canucks sorely need a 3rd line C that can take some pressure off of Horvat. Not a lot of options out there though. Maybe Soderberg on a 1 year deal, or Johan Larsson.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
This team sucks...and there's no way Travis Green is coaching a roster where Gaudette or Virtanen get to play Horvat's tough defensive minutes.

I do agree with you that the Canucks sorely need a 3rd line C that can take some pressure off of Horvat. Not a lot of options out there though. Maybe Soderberg on a 1 year deal, or Johan Larsson.

The point of getting a match-up C is so Horvat doesn’t have to play those hard minutes. Would make him more fresh and effective imo.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
For cash poor orgs I don't see a big reason to break it down by year - dollars out is dollars out. Cap considerations aside, if you're saving an org $5M in cash, that has a lot of value.

They'd still have to ice a team including a replacement player. Connolly is a respectable asset at this stage and isn't expensive; there's no reason for them to unload him for a pittance. They can save cash simply by letting Hoffman and Dadonov walk as UFA's.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018

Larsson could be a good add on the cheap but one of Beagle or Sutter will need to go

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Am I now allowed to say we've made the playoffs and this season was a success?

I mean, the team made the playoffs which is good, but I wouldn’t put up a banner or order my Jim Benning statue just yet. Given that they are already in a cap crunch which makes bringing this roster back impossible I’m not sure it bodes well for future years. However, I’m excited for the ride this year and see if they can hang with some real playoff teams.

Reactions: cookiefest

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
If Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind are all NHL ready sometime in the next season, would trading Gaudette and Virtanen in a package be a option? I don't see them being fits on the 2nd line long term and you cant really play them together on the 3rd line because their lack of defensive ability.

Furthermore, if Ferland is LTIR, it would make bringing back Tanev on a 2-3 year deal essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad