2020 OHL draft

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Only 2 picks each from JRC and Quinte - 2 best teams in Ontario by a mile.

Titans and Marlies get 2 picks each and never really beat anybody of note all year.

Poor Nats and Vaughan - they were really in the top 3 GTHL teams and only have 1 pick between them!

Someone has a better marketing department.

I can't understand how you don't understand that team success doesn't matter at all when evaluating individual players.

Niagara post-deadline was one of the worst teams ever, but Ivan Lodnia is a really, really good player still.

Sarnia was easily the worst team in the West. But Jamieson Rees and Jacob Perreault are both absolute studs.

There can be really good players on bad teams. A team can also be good because they're deep but not necessarily mean they have multiple first rounders.....

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
The ole Bert McGurt mock draft!

North Bay - Ty Nelson
Niagara Ice Dogs - Pano Fimis
Sarnia Sting - Max Namestnikov
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds - David Goyette
Kingston Frontenacs - Paul Ludwinski
Hamilton Bulldogs - Donovan McCoy
Mississauga Steelheads - Hunter Haight
Erie Otters - Spencer Sova
Barrie Colts - Matthew Poitras
Owen Sound Attack - Bryce McConnell-Barker
Sudbury Wolves - Kocha Delic
Guelph Storm - Adam Fantilli
Oshawa Generals - Dalyn Wakely
Windsor Spitfires - Zakary Lavoie
Peterborough Petes - Isaiah George
Flint Firebirds - Brady Stonehouse
Kitchener Rangers - Cedrick Guindon
Saginaw Spirit - Jackson Edward
London Knights - Andrew Leblanc
Ottawa 67's - Jonathan Melee
If North Bay doesn't select Adam Fantilli the IceDogs will. We did not select his brother Luca in the under 18 draft last year for no reason...if Adam is available at #2, I have to believe we will select him.

Reactions: Olden

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If North Bay doesn't select Adam Fantilli the IceDogs will. We did not select his brother Luca in the under 18 draft last year for no reason...if Adam is available at #2, I have to believe we will select him.

Well I mean the 18U draft is kind of a complete joke. It's not like they wasted a pick that matters if they took his bro for nothing. The best player from that 18U draft had 1 goal last year. The entire draft combined had 3 goals last year lol

If Niagara takes Fantilli then he doesn't come, they will be wasting the 2nd overall pick (Fantilli) and then potentially the 1st overall pick (don't have their first rounder next year) in back-to-back drafts. What an absolute disaster that would be

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well I mean the 18U draft is kind of a complete joke. It's not like they wasted a pick that matters if they took his bro for nothing. The best player from that 18U draft had 1 goal last year. The entire draft combined had 3 goals last year lol

If Niagara takes Fantilli then he doesn't come, they will be wasting the 2nd overall pick (Fantilli) and then potentially the 1st overall pick (don't have their first rounder next year) in back-to-back drafts. What an absolute disaster that would be

I wouldn’t call it a complete joke of a draft..
Does not hold the value of a regular OHL draft selections but you can still find some talent, especially early in the draft.

Daniel DAmato and Dustin Hutton have been success stories from the 2018 draft. There are a few others that have had a smaller impact.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I wouldn’t call it a complete joke of a draft..
Does not hold the value of a regular OHL draft selections but you can still find some talent, especially early in the draft.

Daniel DAmato and Dustin Hutton have been success stories from the 2018 draft. There are a few others that have had a smaller impact.

Dustin Hutton has 6 goals in 61 games in his OHL career as a forward

There have been 203 players selected in the U18 draft. Only 1 of those 203 are averaging even 0.50 points per game in their OHL career

Only 1 goalie in the history of the U18 draft has recorded an OHL win.

Guys who have gotten regular minutes from each draft:
2019: 1/54 (1.9%)
2018: 5/53 (9.4%)
2017: 4/96 (4.2%)

For a total of 10/203. So 4.9% of players drafted in this have gone on to even be a role player in the OHL. The draft is a complete joke

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

There have been 203 players selected in the U18 draft. Only 1 of those 203 are averaging even 0.50 points per game in their OHL career

For a total of 10/203. So 4.9% of players drafted in this have gone on to even be a role player in the OHL. The draft is a complete joke
It’s certainly not worthy of 4/5 rounds. Probably should only be 2 rounds maximum. If teams valued it more those numbers could increase from each draft. Which probably would result in the same or more success than 10-15th round picks in the regular draft. (Minus college commits). To me that’s a big part of the issue.. teams don’t value it much at all. That’s on them.

Fortunately we can all have different opinions though

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012

Kaleb Pearson was having a decent year with 28 goals and 52 points for Owen Sound...

Reactions: NOA

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
I can't understand how you don't understand that team success doesn't matter at all when evaluating individual players.

Niagara post-deadline was one of the worst teams ever, but Ivan Lodnia is a really, really good player still.

Sarnia was easily the worst team in the West. But Jamieson Rees and Jacob Perreault are both absolute studs.

There can be really good players on bad teams. A team can also be good because they're deep but not necessarily mean they have multiple first rounders.....

My point is if you have potentially have multiple first rounders - shouldn’t you either:

A) have a lot of individual goals and points
B) Beat a lot of top teams

Or both?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My point is if you have potentially have multiple first rounders - shouldn’t you either:

Or both?

10+ 19-20 yr olds will generally be a top ten OHL team, probably 6/8 teams hosting home ice in playoffs generally have 10+ 19-20 yr olds

Leafsguy

Mar 12, 2020

Or both?
There were only 3 teams on that list who had multiple first rounders and 2 of them you complained that there were only 2 players from their teams because of a country mile or something...
Why go to the games and watch when you could just look at the final standings and know all the best players!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I was thinking about this scenario, and wondering if it was as bad as you suggest.
1) Niagara doesn't have a first round pick next year
2) If Niagara picks Fantilli and declare him defected, they get the 5th overall pick next year plus a late 2nd round pick
3) If Niagara doesn't trade Fantilli's rights, but just relinquishes them, he goes into the U18 draft next year (I think I am right on this?)
4) Niagara is terrible next year and picks first in the U18 draft - Fantilli. Plus a 5th overall selection. Plus an extra selection at the end of the 2nd round. Plus London & Kitchener's 2nds according to the draft database.

Would certainly be an interesting gambit...

Edit: Never mind, didn't realize the U18 draft eligible players must be playing midget hockey in Ontario.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017

I was thinking about this scenario, and wondering if it was as bad as you suggest.
2) If Niagara picks Fantilli and declare him defected, they get the 5th overall pick next year plus a late 2nd round pick
3) If Niagara doesn't trade Fantilli's rights, but just relinquishes them, he goes into the U18 draft next year (I think I am right on this?)
4) Niagara is terrible next year and picks first in the U18 draft - Fantilli. Plus a 5th overall selection. Plus an extra selection at the end of the 2nd round. Plus London & Kitchener's 2nds according to the draft database.

^ This!

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
There were only 3 teams on that list who had multiple first rounders and 2 of them you complained that there were only 2 players from their teams because of a country mile or something...
Why go to the games and watch when you could just look at the final standings and know all the best players!

I get your point, but I think it’s a fair question. If you aren’t helping your team win big games and you aren’t putting up huge points, even when playing with what are supposed to be good players, in minor midget, how much of an impact are you going to have in the OHL, which is a huge leap up in competition, playing against grown men.

Seems like a gamble.

Maybe it’s just a weird draft class or the goaltending this year was extraordinary compared to other seasons.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Idk how that would work but there’s no way the ohl could let them screw the system and get a free 5th overall+2nd and also leave with the rights to the player they claimed defected. I assume there’s a rule somewhere where if you claim a guy defective you can’t own his rights for a year+ or something. Barrie claimed Tortora defected then traded for him 3 years later and it caused a ton of shit in the ohl front office, I know that

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007

Don’t you have to be playing Major Midget to be in the U18 draft? I think players playing junior are still eligible for the regular priority draft and he would go in that one before the U18 draft occurs.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Don’t you have to be playing Major Midget to be in the U18 draft? I think players playing junior are still eligible for the regular priority draft and he would go in that one before the U18 draft occurs.
Correct in Ontario

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Good point. Fantilli for sure wouldn't be eligible. He'd re-enter the 2021 priority selection draft

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
FWIW, here's my 1st round mock

1- Ty Nelson (North Bay)
2- Adam Fantilli (Niagara)
3- Pano Fimis (Sarnia)
4- Paul Ludwinski (Sault Ste. Marie)
5- Isaiah George (Kingston)
6- Dalyn Wakely (Hamilton)
7- Donovan McCoy (Mississauga)
8- Zak Lavoie (Erie)
9- Kocha Delic (Barrie)
10- Bryce McConnell-Baker (Owen Sound)
11- David Goyette (Sudbury)
12- Cedrick Guindon (Guelph)
13- Carson Christy (Oshawa)
14- Spencer Sova (Windsor)
15- Hunter Haight (Peterborough)
16- Andrew LeBlanc (Flint)
17- Sam Alfano (Kitchener)
18- Matt Jovanovic (Saginaw)
19- Max Namestnikov (London)
20- Alec Leonard (Ottawa)

No inside info, just what I think would make sense for each team (or in North Bay/Niagara's case, what I think they'll do)

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Idk how that would work but there’s no way the ohl could let them screw the system and get a free 5th overall+2nd and also leave with the rights to the player they claimed defected. I assume there’s a rule somewhere where if you claim a guy defective you can’t own his rights for a year+ or something. Barrie claimed Tortora defected then traded for him 3 years later and it caused a ton of shit in the ohl front office, I know that
I thought Barrie did not claim him as a defect so still held his rights? Barrie would not have gotten the compensation picks that year? I'm going to look back at the draft from those years.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I thought Barrie did not claim him as a defect so still held his rights? Barrie would not have gotten the compensation picks that year? I'm going to look back at the draft from those years.
They claimed him defected and traded his rights. The next year they took Jack McBain with the comp pick and he also didn’t come

Reactions: ohloutsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad