2020 OHL draft

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
I was thinking about this scenario, and wondering if it was as bad as you suggest.
1) Niagara doesn't have a first round pick next year
2) If Niagara picks Fantilli and declare him defected, they get the 5th overall pick next year plus a late 2nd round pick
3) If Niagara doesn't trade Fantilli's rights, but just relinquishes them, he goes into the U18 draft next year (I think I am right on this?)
4) Niagara is terrible next year and picks first in the U18 draft - Fantilli. Plus a 5th overall selection. Plus an extra selection at the end of the 2nd round. Plus London & Kitchener's 2nds according to the draft database.

Would certainly be an interesting gambit...

Edit: Never mind, didn't realize the U18 draft eligible players must be playing midget hockey in Ontario.

I've read that if Niagara picks a player that doesn't report, they will not get the normal compensation. As part of the sanctions they are not permitted a first round pick next year even if their pick is deemed defected this year. This was tweeted by one half of the radio broadcast crew last week.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I've read that if Niagara picks a player that doesn't report, they will not get the normal compensation. As part of the sanctions they are not permitted a first round pick next year even if their pick is deemed defected this year. This was tweeted by one half of the radio broadcast crew last week.

that doesn’t seem right. They have a 1st pick this draft so I’d expect that they are entitled to all rules that apply to 1st picks. It’s possible Niagara negotiated that right away at the time sanctions were lessened, I suppose.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes just looked it up - picked Tortora at 19 in 2015 and then got McBain at 20th in 2016. So for sure that is odd he somehow got traded by them?
If you trade a player for picks before the next season starts because he won’t report to you, that’s claiming him defected so you get the following year first rounder

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If you trade a player for picks before the next season starts because he won’t report to you, that’s claiming him defected so you get the following year first rounder
Yes understand that, just not sure how they were able to trade his rights later after declaring him defective? Head scratcher for sure.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
I get your point, but I think it’s a fair question. If you aren’t helping your team win big games and you aren’t putting up huge points, even when playing with what are supposed to be good players, in minor midget, how much of an impact are you going to have in the OHL, which is a huge leap up in competition, playing against grown men.

Seems like a gamble.

Maybe it’s just a weird draft class or the goaltending this year was extraordinary compared to other seasons.

Jake Karabela from Guelph JrGryphs is a great player. His team did not qualify for OHL cup. His play on bad days is enough to warrant a top 3 round selection, his play on good days is enough to warrant a top 3 selection. Team performance can tell a story, but losing is a team game no matter how good a player is.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
FWIW, here's my 1st round mock

1- Ty Nelson (North Bay)
2- Adam Fantilli (Niagara)
3- Pano Fimis (Sarnia)
4- Paul Ludwinski (Sault Ste. Marie)
5- Isaiah George (Kingston)
6- Dalyn Wakely (Hamilton)
7- Donovan McCoy (Mississauga)
8- Zak Lavoie (Erie)
9- Kocha Delic (Barrie)
10- Bryce McConnell-Baker (Owen Sound)
11- David Goyette (Sudbury)
12- Cedrick Guindon (Guelph)
13- Carson Christy (Oshawa)
14- Spencer Sova (Windsor)
15- Hunter Haight (Peterborough)
16- Andrew LeBlanc (Flint)
17- Sam Alfano (Kitchener)
18- Matt Jovanovic (Saginaw)
19- Max Namestnikov (London)
20- Alec Leonard (Ottawa)

No inside info, just what I think would make sense for each team (or in North Bay/Niagara's case, what I think they'll do)
Good mock, I think you'll hit on a lot of them. Would be surprised Ottawa would go D however. My guess is forward preferably center with our top two picks and D in the third as good depth on the blue line this year. We're certainly losing Rossi and maybe Hoelscher so we need centremen.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Will North Bay announce their pick today? I know most years the 1st pick was introduced on the Friday, but obviously things are different this year.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Ty Nelson goes #1

Will be interesting to see how his game translates at the next level - that’s a ton of pressure.

He is 5’7 on a good day - at most a buck fifty, but it’s a very small draft class.

Not really an offensive dynamo.

If he can succeed - it’s a game changer for small defenders going forward. And by small - I don’t mean 5’10 - that’s medium size.

Reactions: LDN

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
It is a strange draft. As I predicted a lot of Americans are jumping borders... is it a new era ? Tiny Ty and Americans... we could have 4 Americans in the first round.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
so how where would Nelson rank had he been in last years draft class?

I think he’s fairly similar to Paul Christopoulos. Possibly a bit better mobility, but also smaller and less physical - less physically mature. Maybe double down on the smaller D strategy, but this is taking it to the extreme.

Nelson played up a year last year and wasn’t a factor, so I doubt he would have been a first round pick amongst that group.

He’s not in the same league as a Brandt Clarke.

The scouts must know what they are doing but I find it a very odd choice for first overall for North Bay.

That said - there doesn’t seem to be any can’t miss picks in this draft.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I think he’s fairly similar to Paul Christopoulos. Possibly a bit better mobility, but also smaller and less physical - less physically mature. Maybe double down on the smaller D strategy, but this is taking it to the extreme.

Nelson played up a year last year and wasn’t a factor, so I doubt he would have been a first round pick amongst that group.

He’s not in the same league as a Brandt Clarke.

The scouts must know what they are doing but I find it a very odd choice for first overall for North Bay.

That said - there doesn’t seem to be any can’t miss picks in this draft.
Saw the Christopolous name, so I was a coach at the CCM skills camp one year. Those twins clocked like 80 mph slap shots at like 12.... was crazy.

is there any chance a team takes Fantili and gets him to report this year ?

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
if Niagara drafts Fantili, and he no-shows, but they trade him to another team and he reports, are the Ice Dogs able to get a compensation pick in 2021? Or is the league shutting that down too?

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
It is a strange draft. As I predicted a lot of Americans are jumping borders... is it a new era ? Tiny Ty and Americans... we could have 4 Americans in the first round.

I would be beyond surprised if there were that many Americans in the first round, if any at all.

That’s not the way the world seems to be trending. Quite the opposite and now the top player who is Canadian isn’t going to play in the OHL.

If you are a first round talent - you should be able to play NTDP, and if you could play NTDP, why wouldn’t you?

Or play USHL and keep your NCAA eligibility.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Saw the Christopolous name, so I was a coach at the CCM skills camp one year. Those twins clocked like 80 mph slap shots at like 12.... was crazy.

is there any chance a team takes Fantili and gets him to report this year ?

Those twins were grown men at 13!

Zero chance Fantilli plays in the OHL next season.

Chicago Steel are owned by a billionaire who passionately loves hockey. He will have a sweet set up with his brother going into NCAA, and can mostly avoid direct competition with players his own age.

They will have world class training and coaches in place. They are also the best team in the USHL.

It’s the best of all worlds and he maintains NCAA eligibility.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I don't know how others feel about it, but I don't particularly love how they announce the #1 pick early. I feel it kind of takes away the whole "the first overall pick is..." from the draft process

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->