Speculation: 2020 Offseason Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I wonder if the Ducks and Oilers would be interested in a Rakell for Puljujarvi + 1st.... We get futures for a player we aren’t likely going to extend and Rakell could be a scoring machine with Connor.

I wish we didn’t spend our cap space for a late 1st and had used it this offseason... I think there will bigger returns. I think a team like Jersey would love to trade a guy like Subban and would throw in one of their late 1sts. Subban is trending down but would give us a triggerman on the PP. We could also trade him in the 21-22 season with some retention for more prospects. Jersey could have the $$ for Pietrangelo.

If we are trading Rakell to Edmonton we better be getting back one of their top 2 defensive prospects.
I think the Ducks should go after Bouchard, and I think Edmonton may be more willing to deal him with how Broberg has panned out so far.

Bouchard + 1st for Rakell
Ducks should take that and run...

The Ducks have over 7 mil in cap space if they LTIR Kesler. Plenty to take on a big contract.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If we are trading Rakell to Edmonton we better be getting back one of their top 2 defensive prospects.
I think the Ducks should go after Bouchard, and I think Edmonton may be more willing to deal him with how Broberg has panned out so far.

Bouchard + 1st for Rakell
Ducks should take that and run...

The Ducks have over 7 mil in cap space if they LTIR Kesler. Plenty to take on a big contract.
Cap space is closer to 5 mill with a full roster. With Kesler on LTIR.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's not great, Backes was the move. Not much wiggle room now with Perrys large cap hit this season.

Yeah we probably can't take on much salary, unless we are shipping some out. Should be looking into opportunities to try and get an extra premium for an affordable guy like Rakell by being willing to take money back.

Last edited:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
If trading to Edmonton the return has to be good because he will score 35 goals playing with McDavid or Drai

If Rakell goes to Edmonton and plays first line minutes with McDavid it's going to look like we lost that trade no matter what. Rakell would probably put up 80 points with McDavid.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
GM Bob seems to have a knack for trading players. We could have both for the next season and a half. If it doesn't work out, then Bob trades them at the TDL. I'm not too concerned about asset management with Bob. We drafted C Holland in 2009 and we're still paying it forward with RHD Andersson as well as the 27th overall 2020 draft pick. (Oh... and Backes' salary dump.)

Rakell's on a great Ducks' contract and Manson ends in two seasons. They're good place holders until our youth finally begins to show up. Terry was a 2015 draftee. Jones and Steel are 2016 first rounders. Comtois was a 2nd rounder in 2017 and Lundy a 2018 first rounder. Zegras and Tracey are 2019 first rounders. Can Rakell become a 30-goal scorer again? With Zegras vying for an NHL spot, maybe keeping Rakell would be wise. Imagine the possibilities of Zegras between Rakell and Silf?! Anyhow, it's been five years since we drafted Terry, four years since we drafted Jones and Steel. This building for 2 years down the road thing may take longer if we're going to start today.

I like having that bridge between old and youth. We missed out on that last season as we pushed the youth movement, unfortunately. Maybe Ritchie didn't realize he had to be that bridge/mentor guy. Kase was too injured to lead by example. When Guhle and Larsson are in your top-4 defense, then that's not too great either. Hopefully, Heinen and Milano will be better bridge guys on the forward set. On the blue line, I do like having Gudz and Djoos being added to Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler. Guhle and Larsson aren't ready for top-4 minutes.

We got two more first round picks this year. Getting picks isn't a problem, but we still haven't hit on a forward that's a mainstay yet in the draft under GM Bob. Rakell is the closest thing. Zegras might be that guy. I want more NHL ready players just so we don't gift NHL positions any more, which is what we did in 2019-20.

In tow, we have an elite netminder and an upgraded, veteran defensive corps + Curran. Our top-9 offense is suspect. Terry and Getz are incompatible on the same line. Zegras might pass up Terry on just "oozing of talent" are similar playmakers. I guess I wouldn't mind moving Terry + late 1st for an NHL top-6 forward. We can sell high on a prospect compared to low years for both Rakell and Manson. That would be the way to go if you're itching on moving any asset. I'd rather stay put and develop than be desperate to move a Terry-talent.

2019-20 season makes me dislike any mass youth movement! LoL It's a sign that an org gave up the season, which was the mentality for some Duck players last year, especially after losing both Manson and Lindholm early into the season.

We can get back to relevancy faster with an improved defense, which also works well with an offense that has difficulty scoring. Remember, we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals because of Giguere and good defensive play as a team with a rookie head coach. Truth maybe stranger than fiction.
Havent really checked the cap for next season but I would hope the Ducks are pursuing cap dumps for picks.

We already used the space we had in the Backes deal. If you look at capfriendly the Ducks technically have the lead amount of cap space in the league. That said, Kesler will go on LTIR giving us more room. However I seriously doubt we take any more cap dumps beyond the Backes trade we already did.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Rakell goes to Edmonton and plays first line minutes with McDavid it's going to look like we lost that trade no matter what. Rakell would probably put up 80 points with McDavid.

Yeah if Rakell goes anywhere with an elite centre to play with his production will go up considerably. If he can put up 70+ playing with a 33 year old Getzy he would easily put up 80 alongside someone like McDavid or Crosby.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is it really losing a trade tho? Trading an asset that has value for a trade I think we all would deem valuable. Rakell is a luxury we don’t really need at this point and if we can turn him into a good d prospect and a top 15 pick, I think we make out pretty damn well. Sure he’ll kill it anywhere with a center, but he won’t put those numbers up here with our centers

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Backes should be bought out, that's another $1.5M.

Really don’t want Backes on the 4th line, would bring back Grant Before that, or just have Rowney center Jones and Des. I think that trade was to secure that 1st round, and Kase alone wasn’t biting for it straight up. Have enough leadership and vet presence.

Reactions: Deuce22

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Backes showed absolutely nothing during his stint with us. He probably won’t be bought out, just waived probably within the first 20-25 games to give time to our prospects.

I’m ok with him doing well in Edmonton... hopefully they extend him to a really long and expensive contract so he can disappoint like a Hemsky contract haha.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think you guys really underestimate Rakells impact of just being in the lineup.

So we go from being a bottom 5 team to bottom 3 team? That's a win in my book.

The Rakell situation is incredibly simple IMO. Do you want to pay him 6-7m per on his next deal? If the answer is no the only choice is to trade him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Really don’t want Backes on the 4th line, would bring back Grant Before that, or just have Rowney center Jones and Des. I think that trade was to secure that 1st round, and Kase alone wasn’t biting for it straight up. Have enough leadership and vet presence.
I'm probably one of the only Ducks fans that's not in favor of signing Grant again. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they did, but at the same time, I'd rather have the spot more open for some of our young players (Dostie, Badini, Groulx, Morand) to make the NHL as our 4C. Between Agozzino, Rowney, and Backes if we keep him, we have enough placeholders to be our 4C if none of those can claim the spot.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Is it really losing a trade tho? Trading an asset that has value for a trade I think we all would deem valuable. Rakell is a luxury we don’t really need at this point and if we can turn him into a good d prospect and a top 15 pick, I think we make out pretty damn well. Sure he’ll kill it anywhere with a center, but he won’t put those numbers up here with our centers

I should've put "lose" in brackets I think. We know what Rakell is here and have a pretty good idea what Rakell would be with elite talent driving the line for him. The main board would have a field day with what a "stupid" trade it was and how the Ducks got "fleeced" though.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So we go from being a bottom 5 team to bottom 3 team? That's a win in my book.

The Rakell situation is incredibly simple IMO. Do you want to pay him 6-7m per on his next deal? If the answer is no the only choice is to trade him.
Honestly, I don't think he'll be that expensive with the flat cap. The way I look at it. If hes not in our future plans, fine trade him, but that doesn't mean the return has to be futures. BM is trying to make the team better. Not be in better lottery position.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Honestly, I don't think he'll be that expensive with the flat cap. The way I look at it. If hes not in our future plans, fine trade him, but that doesn't mean the return has to be futures. BM is trying to make the team better. Not be in better lottery position.

Then maybe he shouldn't be the GM. The only way this team is getting back to being a legit contender is through the draft. The higher you draft the better the odds of getting an impact player.

Moving Rakell to be marginally better next year at best accomplishes nothing.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Then maybe he shouldn't be the GM. The only way this team is getting back to being a legit contender is through the draft. The higher you draft the better the odds of getting an impact player.

agreed. This isn’t like other retools in the past 10 years. We don’t have 2 top line forwards to build around like before. The Ducks need a rebuild. A retool is just going to get them stuck in mediocrity.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm probably one of the only Ducks fans that's not in favor of signing Grant again. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they did, but at the same time, I'd rather have the spot more open for some of our young players (Dostie, Badini, Groulx, Morand) to make the NHL as our 4C. Between Agozzino, Rowney, and Backes if we keep him, we have enough placeholders to be our 4C if none of those can claim the spot.

We need a center who can take on our heaviest defensive responsibilities, it would be unwise or honestly irresponsible to put one of those kids in that spot if they are intending to use that line in anywhere close to the same fashion as this past season.

None of those guys have shown to be close to being ready enough for us to be holding them a spot, especially a spot which requires the heaviest of defensive lifting. At best they are players who may earn the chance to get their feet wet this upcoming year.

If we want to provide proper defensive insulation for whichever young players do make the roster, I think it's important to have a suitable checking/matchup line center, and I really don't believe anyone from your post besides Grant is suited to be that. With his recent history I don't think it's wise to count on Backes for a full season or much of anything for that matter. Agozzino is a fringe NHL player and Rowney is much better on the wing IMO.

If not Grant or another proven checker, who would you be using for the most heavy defensive minutes? Hopefully not the rookies you mentioned, that's throwing then to the wolves. BM doesn't want to force that all on Getz, and it's not like Henrique and Steel are suited for the role.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

I'm going to politely disagree. I know Im not going to change your mind so I'll just let it be there. I'm staunchly against tanking or making moves in that direction.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Backes should be bought out, that's another $1.5M.

I'm only seeing $1M in savings when I use the buyout calculator for Backes (2M savings this year and -1M next).

Even if you use that roster spot on someone making a minimum salary of 700k for this year, we end up only 300k ahead if my amateur math is correct.

That said, I'd still agree that buying out Backes to free up that spot and saving upwards of 300k is probably not a bad idea. Though my gut tells me he just rides out the year as a seldom used 13th forward and veteran presence, seems like the type to possibly make use of that role to transition into coaching.

Reactions: Paul4587

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm going to politely disagree. I know Im not going to change your mind so I'll just let it be there. I'm staunchly against tanking or making moves in that direction.

I don't think any pro sports team should resign itself to being bad for more than 3 years. A couple good years of focusing on drafting/development/adding young talent, maybe a third, and then you should start to see things heading in the right direction if you haven't taken too many wrong turns.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm only seeing $1M in savings when I use the buyout calculator for Backes (2M savings this year and -1M next).

Even if you use that roster spot on someone making a minimum salary of 700k for this year, we end up only 300k ahead if my amateur math is correct.

That said, I'd still agree that buying out Backes to free up that spot and saving upwards of 300k is probably not a bad idea. Though my gut tells me he just rides out the year as a seldom used 13th forward and veteran presence, seems like the type to possibly make use of that role to transition into coaching.
I wasn't factoring in the penalty for 2012-22, as I think it matters little with Perry's buyout hit decreasing substantially.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ducks have literally no need for Erik Johnson and his awful. I'd rather have Gudbranson. Only reason to take Johnson is if Colorado attaches a major asset.

The ducks are capped out but that ignores putting Kesler on LTIR which frees up a good chunk - $6.8M. In addition, they should buy out Backes - if for no reason than to save $750k in real dollars (not to mention $3M in cap).

My thinking is the ducks should use the cap space to take short term cap dumps from other teams or perhaps acquire young assets at a discount for teams that need to move players (Toronto, Vancouver, etc.). They need to be as opportunistic as possible, but BM seems unable to go there.

I see no reason to sign Grant . He'll get a 2-3 year deal most likely. He'd just be blocking the younger players who need playing time.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad