Speculation: 2020 Offseason Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My eyelid started to flutter for some reason :laugh:
I know the history isn’t good but we’re not keeping them from taking a manson/vatanen

obviously this may change after next season if some of those guys break out

Reactions: Kalv

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Avs fan here. Rumors out today that Sakic May be willing to move Erik Johnson. EJ has a house in Anaheim and spends most of his offseason there so I immediately thought of your team as a potential landing spot. He’s a useful defenseman but his contract still has 3 years left at 6M. Would Anaheim have any interest?

I don’t think he’d have any actual value due to the length of his contract so I was wondering what you guys thought of a Backes+Gudbranson for EJ deal?

6M in for Anaheim. 8.5M out. Backes and Gudbranson are off the books in a year while EJ will have two more left.

Always liked EJ, could make a lot of sense as a mentor, especially to the young American dmen; LaCombe, Thrun... Sanderson? Although they kind of already have Fowler for that.

Just not sure how much he has left in the tank or what his value is

Last edited:
Reactions: Cousin Eddie
Oct 18, 2011
Sign Pietro this off season. Trade Manson.

Boom we're back in the playoffs.
Petro wouldn't come here for anything less than a large overpay

Avs fan here. Rumors out today that Sakic May be willing to move Erik Johnson. EJ has a house in Anaheim and spends most of his offseason there so I immediately thought of your team as a potential landing spot. He’s a useful defenseman but his contract still has 3 years left at 6M. Would Anaheim have any interest?

I don’t think he’d have any actual value due to the length of his contract so I was wondering what you guys thought of a Backes+Gudbranson for EJ deal?

6M in for Anaheim. 8.5M out. Backes and Gudbranson are off the books in a year while EJ will have two more left.
Not the type of dman this team needs. Anaheim is well positioned for whenever the 21' off-season happens and EJ is not a player worth disrupting that for

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
There would have to be some sort of sizable plus (1st or equivalent prospect) to get the Ducks to take on Johnson's salary. 18 million is a lot of money for a guy that wouldn't do much to change the success of the team.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Ya if they would do something around Henrique + I’d be interested.... guessing 1 of our cost controlled dmen would go back

Lindholm dumba
Fowler Manson
Mahura/djoos/larsson + gudbranson
Is a pretty good d core, with a lot of depth.

I still think we should move Rakell for a top 15 pick... with the cap situation he should bring a top 15 pick + Pretty good prospect

The chances of us trading the assets needed to get Dumba are slim to none imo. That said if we do, I imagine Manson would be dealt in a separate move to recoup some of those assets.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

No interest at all.

We gain cap space in a year that we don't need it.
We spend 18 mil instead of the 6 mil those 2 are owed.
We gain a NMC that has to be protected at the expansion draft.

All for a 32 year old diminishing second pairing defensemen who will not be under contract and too old to make a big impact once the Ducks are done with the rebuild.
Send a 1st back with him and the DUcks will take him, which makes no sense for the Avs considering their cap situation.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside
Oct 18, 2011
I get the sense that this summer will be a buyers market.
Hate to beat a dead horse but with the affordability of Manson and Rakell's contract's now might be the time to move both of them. It was already a weak free agent class to begin with and teams against the cap who have thoughts of contending are going to have to look at trades instead

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Hate to beat a dead horse but with the affordability of Manson and Rakell's contract's now might be the time to move both of them. It was already a weak free agent class to begin with and teams against the cap who have thoughts of contending are going to have to look at trades instead
Sure if we're upgrading them

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Sure if we're upgrading them
that doesn't really make sense. no team is going to be trading an upgrade to them to us for a downgrade. if we're going to move them because we know we can' t afford their next contracts, then get some high-ish picks and/or high quality prospects that fill a organizational need. getting an upgrade on those players means we're gonna have to give up assets which is not the direction the needs to be going in right now.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
that doesn't really make sense. no team is going to be trading an upgrade to them to us for a downgrade. if we're going to move them because we know we can' t afford their next contracts, then get some high-ish picks and/or high quality prospects that fill a organizational need. getting an upgrade on those players means we're gonna have to give up assets which is not the direction the needs to be going in right now.
It makes perfect sense unless you're a die-hard fan of trading away value for magic beans. I'm not. I prefer to hang onto value, and build on it or use it to acquire better value. We get 7 new magic beans every year for free.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

this team has to be working towards 2+ years down the line, not next season. Nothing we do now will make the team relevant there are too many holes to fill
It makes tons of sense to me right now. Teams all over need to cut salary which means players who wouldn't normally be available will be. For teams who consider themselves contenders it could make a lot of sense to trade a player for another guy who makes half as much but probably isn't that much of a downgrade. I'm thinking Nylander and Rakell specifically. Now to be clear im not suggesting a 1 for 1 swap. The argument can be made for other players as well.

As for looking 2+ years down the line. I disagree with the mentality. Just because a player helps us now doesn't mean they wont help us in 2+ years either. You have to build up. Draft picks only get you so far.

Oct 18, 2011
It makes tons of sense to me right now. Teams all over need to cut salary which means players who wouldn't normally be available will be. For teams who consider themselves contenders it could make a lot of sense to trade a player for another guy who makes half as much but probably isn't that much of a downgrade. I'm thinking Nylander and Rakell specifically. Now to be clear im not suggesting a 1 for 1 swap. The argument can be made for other players as well.

As for looking 2+ years down the line. I disagree with the mentality. Just because a player helps us now doesn't mean they wont help us in 2+ years either. You have to build up. Draft picks only get you so far.
Building for 2 years down the road isn't just about draft picks, it's about acquiring talent that fit the window of the team. There is no way we're going to give Manson and Rakell high dollar contracts on their next deals when they've peaked already. We are in no way positioned to be any good next season

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The main misconception is that people thing trading Rakell and manson for draft picks means we HAVE to make those picks and hope those drafted guys become stars.

Realistically the main reason you
want futures for those two players is to turn those futures into a better piece that we desperately need.

It’s all about having as much leverage as possible to bring in talent and despite what some say a couple extra first round picks gives you a TON of leverage down the road to bring in a star
Go look at every trade of a great player. Rarely you will get a Hall for Larsson or Weber for Subban type of straight up trade. Most of the time it includes giving up either a 1st round pick, a top prospect, or both. This is no different in any league. Look at what the lakers gave up for Davis. Look at what the Clippers gave up for George

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t want futures for Rakell And Manson. But that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and hope every pick becomes a superstar

Oct 18, 2011

Who are the ducks going to trade to get those players that normally wouldn't be available, and how will they afford them if they have to anticipate losing atleast 50% of their gate next season? Nobody is advocating just draft picks, we're advocating building an asset base that fits a window when the team might be competitive again, this team is nowhere close to being competitive right now

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I dunno if I'd want Dumba and his $6 mil AAV for the next three years when Manson makes $4.1 for the next two seasons. Of course, it all depends if you think Manson still is good or is washed out. I dunno if I want to trade one of our best scorers in Henrique for D Dumba and not knowing what we will get for Manson? I'd want an NHL forward, but we'd be selling low on Manson.

Of all of the players to be traded, Manson seems the likeliest choice. (I'm opposed to trading Manson, though.) Also, we're cap strapped unless we want to use the Kesler's LTIR. Cap friendly says we have only $470 k available and that doesn't include a backup goalie yet! We could go 12 F and have Stolarz up. It's a good thing our farm team is out west now.

If we don't use Kesler's LTIR, then we're stagnate on the trade market. We need help offensively, so we'd have to trade for a young NHL forward. But that will cost us someone on the blue line and picks. I don't want to lose any more talent depth from our blue line because I fear the mass injury bug. I don't want to trade an NHL player (Rakell or Henrique) for a draft pick.

I like reading all the trade proposals. My mind says we're doing nothing and I'm lacking imagination. The only trade I can see happening is the trading of draft picks. Fiscally, we're stuck if we don't use the LTIR. There's a lot of moving parts for Pietrangelo and he'll cost a pretty penny. I'm not a fan of Dumba and his cap hit.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Building for 2 years down the road isn't just about draft picks, it's about acquiring talent that fit the window of the team. There is no way we're going to give Manson and Rakell high dollar contracts on their next deals when they've peaked already. We are in no way positioned to be any good next season

GM Bob seems to have a knack for trading players. We could have both for the next season and a half. If it doesn't work out, then Bob trades them at the TDL. I'm not too concerned about asset management with Bob. We drafted C Holland in 2009 and we're still paying it forward with RHD Andersson as well as the 27th overall 2020 draft pick. (Oh... and Backes' salary dump.)

Rakell's on a great Ducks' contract and Manson ends in two seasons. They're good place holders until our youth finally begins to show up. Terry was a 2015 draftee. Jones and Steel are 2016 first rounders. Comtois was a 2nd rounder in 2017 and Lundy a 2018 first rounder. Zegras and Tracey are 2019 first rounders. Can Rakell become a 30-goal scorer again? With Zegras vying for an NHL spot, maybe keeping Rakell would be wise. Imagine the possibilities of Zegras between Rakell and Silf?! Anyhow, it's been five years since we drafted Terry, four years since we drafted Jones and Steel. This building for 2 years down the road thing may take longer if we're going to start today.

I like having that bridge between old and youth. We missed out on that last season as we pushed the youth movement, unfortunately. Maybe Ritchie didn't realize he had to be that bridge/mentor guy. Kase was too injured to lead by example. When Guhle and Larsson are in your top-4 defense, then that's not too great either. Hopefully, Heinen and Milano will be better bridge guys on the forward set. On the blue line, I do like having Gudz and Djoos being added to Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler. Guhle and Larsson aren't ready for top-4 minutes.

We got two more first round picks this year. Getting picks isn't a problem, but we still haven't hit on a forward that's a mainstay yet in the draft under GM Bob. Rakell is the closest thing. Zegras might be that guy. I want more NHL ready players just so we don't gift NHL positions any more, which is what we did in 2019-20.

In tow, we have an elite netminder and an upgraded, veteran defensive corps + Curran. Our top-9 offense is suspect. Terry and Getz are incompatible on the same line. Zegras might pass up Terry on just "oozing of talent" are similar playmakers. I guess I wouldn't mind moving Terry + late 1st for an NHL top-6 forward. We can sell high on a prospect compared to low years for both Rakell and Manson. That would be the way to go if you're itching on moving any asset. I'd rather stay put and develop than be desperate to move a Terry-talent.

2019-20 season makes me dislike any mass youth movement! LoL It's a sign that an org gave up the season, which was the mentality for some Duck players last year, especially after losing both Manson and Lindholm early into the season.

We can get back to relevancy faster with an improved defense, which also works well with an offense that has difficulty scoring. Remember, we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals because of Giguere and good defensive play as a team with a rookie head coach. Truth maybe stranger than fiction.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Don't want anything to do with Erik Johnson, first off he's on the wrong side of 30 and he does nothing to improve scoring from the blue line.
The Ducks need a Dman that actually dominates offensively in the offensive zone, someone worthy of giving most of the offensive zone starts to.
Lindholm and Manson are our Schmidt and McNabb taking all the defensive zone starts.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder if the Ducks and Oilers would be interested in a Rakell for Puljujarvi + 1st.... We get futures for a player we aren’t likely going to extend and Rakell could be a scoring machine with Connor.

I wish we didn’t spend our cap space for a late 1st and had used it this offseason... I think there will bigger returns. I think a team like Jersey would love to trade a guy like Subban and would throw in one of their late 1sts. Subban is trending down but would give us a triggerman on the PP. We could also trade him in the 21-22 season with some retention for more prospects. Jersey could have the $$ for Pietrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad