Speculation: 2020 Offseason Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
One thing I noticed about Backes in his limited time with us last year is that he still has touch around the net. He's slow as hell but he can win draws 5 on 5, defend at a decent level and help our PP in a net front presence at the very least.
That matters, I’ve always liked his game: he seems like a leader too.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah not bringing in somebody - doesn't have to be Grant - to take on some defensive pivot responsibilities leaves us with a realistic possibility that Getz is both our best offensive and defensive center, and that's not a recipe for success, at all. But I think that, to the tank-at-any-cost crowd, that doesn't really matter.

I think even the tank at any cost crowd should understand that even the worst of teams need to bring their young players along properly, and that means maintaining at least some level of veteran defensive insulation and trying to create a competitive culture.

Backes may be capable of filling the checking line center role on opening night but I think it's fair to question whether it's a good idea to count on him having the durability to be abused with tough Dzone and PK minutes for an entire season at this point in his career - especially now if we end up with a condensed schedule. If he remains on the roster, I think he's our versatile 13th forward.

One option I'd look at outside of bringing back Grant, would be Johan Larsson. If the fancy metrics are to be believed at all, he's become a bit of a Pahlsson-lite over the past couple seasons.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I think even the tank at any cost crowd should understand that even the worst of teams need to bring their young players along properly, and that means maintaining at least some level of veteran defensive insulation and trying to create a competitive culture.

Backes may be capable of filling the checking line center role on opening night but I think it's fair to question whether it's a good idea to count on him having the durability to be abused with tough Dzone and PK minutes for an entire season at this point in his career - especially now if we end up with a condensed schedule. If he remains on the roster, I think he's our versatile 13th forward.

One option I'd look at outside of bringing back Grant, would be Johan Larsson. If the fancy metrics are to be believed at all, he's become a bit of a Pahlsson-lite over the past couple seasons.

Whatever BM decides, I pray its not another multi-year contract for a 4th line player.

Reactions: Duck Off

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Whatever BM decides, I pray its not another multi-year contract for a 4th line player.

I have no issue with it assuming we are just talking multi year and not long term. We shouldn't be hurting for cap space at all after this upcoming season. If we can get a quality bottom six center locked in to fill that role for two or three seasons at a reasonable rate, that should be fine.

No one seemed too enthused about Rowney's contract when it was signed, but he's filled a role admirably and no one should have any issue with it now as we head into the final year.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Manson at 1.5 retained

prob looks like
15th + liljegren ... if that’s too much for you then there prob isn’t much room for discussion.

even then I think liljegren gets a bit overrated by the leafs fan base... he’s decent but I think his upside is a #3 at best.... and more likely a top 4
I can see that Manson is pretty off the tables for you guys reading some of the replies. I understand why, he's a good player and still very valuable at 28 years of age. I thought Ducks would be interested in picks and prospects perhaps instead of guys that will be on the Leafs roster this year hence me keeping the list of guys out of negotiations.

Lilly is probably one of the most underrated prospects for us. I'm personally a big fan and think he has #3-4 upside long term and he's our only decent RHD and we need cheap ELCs so I don't think he's going to be part of any negotiations.

I think Leafs would definitely trade the 15th overall pick along with a guy like Dermott who is still very young and a pretty good #4/5 LHD who's going to get squeezed out if we were to sign AP or trade for top 4 D. Would the ducks consider 15th + Dermott? I would also be willing to part ways with Andreas Johnsson who's 24-25 year old winger who's pretty much a lock for 40-50 points while playing the 2nd/3rd line LW.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I have no issue with it assuming we are just talking multi year and not long term. We shouldn't be hurting for cap space at all after this upcoming season. If we can get a quality bottom six center locked in to fill that role for two or three seasons at a reasonable rate, that should be fine.

No one seemed too enthused about Rowney's contract when it was signed, but he's filled a role admirably and no one should have any issue with it now as we head into the final year.

Just because you have/had the cap space, doesn't mean you need to lock yourself into multi-year contracts for players that are pretty easily replaceable. Rowney was signed to a 3 year contract, with the idea he'd be the 4C, so i do understand that, but he's now the 4RW, and those players can be found on 1 year deals all around the league. Im certainly not trying to nitpick on Rowney, but that seems like a BM signing where he overpaid a player he liked. (Stoner)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Before they trade Rakell, i'd like to see them re-sign Lindholm to a longer deal. Aren't those two as close as Getzlaf & Perry were ?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
From Stephens' article:
Players have been allowed to skate individually or in small groups at Great Park Ice, which has been open to the public in limited hours and capacity since the end of June. A handful of young Ducks players and prospects — among them last year’s first-round pick, Trevor Zegras — have been participating in skating and skill sessions.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just because you have/had the cap space, doesn't mean you need to lock yourself into multi-year contracts for players that are pretty easily replaceable. Rowney was signed to a 3 year contract, with the idea he'd be the 4C, so i do understand that, but he's now the 4RW, and those players can be found on 1 year deals all around the league. Im certainly not trying to nitpick on Rowney, but that seems like a BM signing where he overpaid a player he liked. (Stoner)

It's easy to say that we can just plug that hole with whoever, not always the case. The Rowney deal is a good example of a multi year contract that was just too low of a risk for anyone to get upset about. Whether you agree or not, the risk is absolutely lessened when cap space is not as tight. We should have absolutely no reservations about signing a proven quality bottom six player to a reasonable two or three year contract.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can see that Manson is pretty off the tables for you guys reading some of the replies. I understand why, he's a good player and still very valuable at 28 years of age. I thought Ducks would be interested in picks and prospects perhaps instead of guys that will be on the Leafs roster this year hence me keeping the list of guys out of negotiations.

Lilly is probably one of the most underrated prospects for us. I'm personally a big fan and think he has #3-4 upside long term and he's our only decent RHD and we need cheap ELCs so I don't think he's going to be part of any negotiations.

I think Leafs would definitely trade the 15th overall pick along with a guy like Dermott who is still very young and a pretty good #4/5 LHD who's going to get squeezed out if we were to sign AP or trade for top 4 D. Would the ducks consider 15th + Dermott? I would also be willing to part ways with Andreas Johnsson who's 24-25 year old winger who's pretty much a lock for 40-50 points while playing the 2nd/3rd line LW.

You'd be hard pressed to find a team less interested in Dermott. We have Lindholm and Fowler on the left side, and then five other LHD who should see NHL time, three of whom are not waiver exempt. Zero need there whatsoever.

Johnsson does nothing for us either. He's essentially middle six filler, not a bad player but far from someone any team wants to build around. We have enough middle sixers or kids who project to be there.

You are offering one decent piece that won't be enough to pry Manson away, plus the same expendable filler Leafs fans throw into every offer. You admit yourself that Liljegren has 3/4 potential. If you aren't willing to give that up to get the ideal partner for Rielly that you guys have been begging for going on years now, look elsewhere. It's already been spelled out pretty clearly that a bunch of quantity and spare parts isn't prying this player away.

Bare minimum that might get it done is Liljegren + 15th overall. If you're requesting a tight budget team to eat 3M as well (1.5 × 2 years), tack on another very good piece such as Hallander. Given the quotes we have from GMs regarding Manson talks, it's very possible Murray would say Robertson + or don't bother calling.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Aj coming off an injury , kinda a middle 6er... he’s not bad but at the same time he’s not anything we’d really need.

Dermott is a decent left handed dmen.... but we are jam packed with left handed dmen... he’s not gunna replace lindholm or Fowler.... and I think guys like larsson mahura thrun and lacombe could be better long term

lindholm Fowler Curran guhle larsson mahura Benoit thrun lacombe.

we’re weak on rhd ... so a manson trade almost 100% has to bring back a rhd prospect.

right side depth is
Manson Gudbranson hakanpaa drew Anderson

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Who cares if they're replaceable? That's a cost argument, not a hockey one. If the player works in the locker room and fills his role, you'd rather have roster stability all other things being equal. We don't need cap space and we don't need stars. We need time and space for our kids to develop, if they're any good.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

They SHOULD, but since I keep reading that we're consigned to the cellar forever unless we get a generational prospect, I'm pretty sure that crowd is less interested in developing players than in stockpiling high picks. In other words, Oiler-itis.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

The other reason to offer a 2 year contract is expansion. The ducks need to have make available:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Currently Deslauriers is the only forward the ducks have under contract in 21-22 that they would be comfortable exposing for sure. Possibly Milano as well. but if he produces they will protect him.

Aj coming off an injury , kinda a middle 6er... he’s not bad but at the same time he’s not anything we’d really need.

Dermott is a decent left handed dmen.... but we are jam packed with left handed dmen... he’s not gunna replace lindholm or Fowler.... and I think guys like larsson mahura thrun and lacombe could be better long term

lindholm Fowler Curran guhle larsson mahura Benoit thrun lacombe.

we’re weak on rhd ... so a manson trade almost 100% has to bring back a rhd prospect.

right side depth is
Manson Gudbranson hakanpaa drew Anderson

Stephens has recently reported that Curran prefers to play RHD. Assuming that's the case, it makes a lot more sense why the ducks signed him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They SHOULD, but since I keep reading that we're consigned to the cellar forever unless we get a generational prospect, I'm pretty sure that crowd is less interested in developing players than in stockpiling high picks. In other words, Oiler-itis.

I was listening to a hockey podcast and that seems the common thought, the needing to tank in order to get generational talent as they're citing the LA Kings as that prime example. And the Ducks as the "what not to do" as they perceive the Ducks threading the needle in trying to be competitive while rebuilding is a futile approach.

Two years ago, our center depth was exposed. Last year proved we were too young everywhere save the net. I don't want to see that ever again, but that's exactly the situation we'd be in by selling our current NHL talent for prospects. Yet in both years we had mass injuries in one core group, center and defense. That's a significant factor for the losing. We've shored up both areas, experienced defensemen and the trio of center prospects in Steel, Lundestrom, and Zegras - where we should only need one of those centers starting with the NHL club.

I love our fourth line, especially when we can trust them against the opposing teams' top-2 lines. I'm happy to see there is still chemistry between Deslauriers and Rowney despite having a new center after Grant was traded (Agozzino and Backes). Our fourth line has a definitive role with the club, especially with enforcement if needed as well as help on the PK. Also, this helps Getzlaf to not be overused, as others have pointed out, as he's still our generational forward.

With the best proposal being the 15th pick, then there usually isn't a generational talent at that draft spot. Any pick aside from the top-3 consensus at this year's draft, would probably pale in comparison with the Ducks 9th overall pick in C Zegras last year. Sadly, I think the generational talent crowd wouldn't see Zegras as being a top end talent to be considered generational since he's not the first pick overall.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ekblad is a very interesting name on the market. We don't have the high end pieces to get him, but one can dream!

He’s the perfect fit in terms of age, ability and position. I thought he had a really underrated season last year too.

Problem is they probably want Lindholm coming back. I would entertain moving any of our young forwards (Steel, Terry, Comtois etc) in a package for him but I doubt any are enough as the main piece coming back.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He’s the perfect fit in terms of age, ability and position. I thought he had a really underrated season last year too.

Problem is they probably want Lindholm coming back. I would entertain moving any of our young forwards (Steel, Terry, Comtois etc) in a package for him but I doubt any are enough as the main piece coming back.

I would expect Z or the 6 to be part of the ask.

If there was any way we could make it work without Lindholm or one of those being involved then it is a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad