2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is such horse shit. This guy is no leader.

A wide-ranging Q&A with Oliver Ekman-Larsson on a tumultuous offseason and what lies ahead

With three months’ perspective, how do you evaluate last season?

If we would have said that we were going to make the playoffs before the year, I think everybody would have been happy. That was our goal and we did it. I know it was a different year and different times. If it was a normal season we can’t really guess what would have happened but we were in the playoffs and I’m super happy that our team got to experience that with a lot of young players and players that are going to benefit from that.

I thought against Nashville we played some good hockey and defended well and won against a really good hockey club. When you win the first series, the expectations go up a little bit. I didn’t think it was that bad against Colorado. I thought they played a little bit smarter than us, but it was just shitty the way it ended the last two games. It probably didn’t look great but you can’t forget that you played against one of the best lines in the NHL. They were unbelievable and we couldn’t find a way to close them down.

You were asked a question about the team’s leadership after the Coyotes were eliminated in such emphatic fashion. A lot of people interpreted your response and Derek Stepan’s reaction at the podium as sort of an eye roll at the question but I didn't want to interpret that response without asking you about it.

It’s kind of hard to get a question like that thrown at your face right after you get eliminated and you're done playing for the season after putting in a lot of work. You’re already disappointed in the way it ended, and getting asked about that in that way, I just felt like our team didn’t deserve that so I said, ‘You can blame me if you want to.’

I really feel like we have so many good leaders on our team. It’s not just me and Hammer (Niklas Hjalmarsson) and Step. I feel like we rely on everybody like I have been saying so many times. We have a lot of good leaders that haven’t been wearing a letter. That’s not the issue so it was a frustrating question to get. I should probably have handled it a lot better but it’s easy for people that haven’t played a game or have just been watching the game to talk. I’ve been in the stands, too, watching hockey and I’m the best at (critiquing) it when I’m sitting there. I get that side of it, too, but you're sad and mad and have a lot of feelings going on.

rt

May 13, 2004
I have to say it again, I absolutely hate the team John Chayka built. The complete and total lack of accountability, character and passion is disgusting. Just like John himself proved to be. This is truly a team that reflects the GM.

After reading that, I guess I'm a little disappointed BA didn't just take the dog shit offer of Sutter, Virtanen, a 1st, and a 2nd for OEL. Just to get rid of him.

I can't wait for Stepan, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, and Demers to become UFA and get the f*** OUT of here.

rt

May 13, 2004
I can't believe these losers are going to pretend they had a great season, save for two bad games. It's disgusting.

Here is how he would answer that question if he gave a shit at all:

"I'm not happy with the result of last season. We qualified for the playoffs, which was the goal, but the way the season ended was unacceptable. As captain, I was embarrassed. I need to do better. The team needs to do better. Every one of us needs to look to ourselves and commit to being better than that. I need to put in the work and the team needs to put in the work to prevent anything like that ever happening again. I am committed to holding myself and my team accountable to make sure that happens."

When you don't give a shit at all you say:
"If we would have said that we were going to make the playoffs before the year, I think everybody would have been happy. That was our goal and we did it...I thought against Nashville we played some good hockey and defended well and won against a really good hockey club... I didn’t think it was that bad against Colorado...it was just shitty the way it ended the last two games. It probably didn’t look great but you can’t forget that...I really feel like we have so many good leaders on our team...That’s not the issue so it was a frustrating question to get..."

Ah. Gah. What a f***ing loser. I really regret not taking the bullshit peanuts offer from Vancouver. f*** OEL. He's trash. I hate veteran players on this team so damn much.

Reactions: RemoAZ

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don’t necessarily have a problem with that leadership style. Kicking people in the ass constantly can be demotivating. The issue is there doesn’t seem to be anyone who will kick someone in the ass in the circumstances where it has to be done.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t necessarily have a problem with that leadership style. Kicking people in the ass constantly can be demotivating. The issue is there doesn’t seem to be anyone who will kick someone in the ass in the circumstances where it has to be done.
Accountability isn't an ass-kicking it's a minimum cost of entry.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We have two many people in the whole damn organization that are fine with mediocrity as a goal. Hopefully Armstrong changes that. It's another reason OEL is a poor captain.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
On topic - I’m not going to fault Chayka for wanting Stepan. In interviews, game footage, and more, Step looked/looks like a helluva leader. He’s a right shot center who had put up 50-60 point seasons who was loved by his teammates and seemed to be a strong veteran presence. If he could play as well as he talks he would be a superstar. We can however fault him for what he gave up to acquire him.

Off topic - We still have 3 goaltenders on 1 way contracts. Wonder if we’ll see a three headed monster in the beginning of the season due to Raanta’s injury history, or if we will see a trade in the next month or so. We’re getting closer to training camp, which if the talk is true, may be taking place at the end of December.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I can't believe these losers are going to pretend they had a great season, save for two bad games. It's disgusting.

"I'm not happy with the result of last season. We qualified for the playoffs, which was the goal, but the way the season ended was unacceptable. As captain, I was embarrassed. I need to do better. The team needs to do better. Every one of us needs to look to ourselves and commit to being better than that. I need to put in the work and the team needs to put in the work to prevent anything like that ever happening again. I am committed to holding myself and my team accountable to make sure that happens."
You should send your resume to GMBA because your response is exactly what I believe he will expect from this team and especially from his captain.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We have two many people in the whole damn organization that are fine with mediocrity as a goal. Hopefully Armstrong changes that. It's another reason OEL is a poor captain.
It's harder to be a Coyote fan than any other sport team I cheer for. There's either a bonehead owner or GM, sometimes both, leading this organization at all times. It's much more than being a financially challenged, small market or sunbelt team. Those are not factors that lead to poor decision making. The only consistent thing this team has done the past 20+ years in the Valley is make bad decisions.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Both Matthews and McDavid are skating in Scottsdale. Couple of Army blockbusters incoming....
Tippetts going to convince Holland that Drai is the better C and they need to build from the net out. Chychrun, Goligoski, Capo and Kuemper for McDavid and Neal.

Matthews for Hayton, Keller, Dvorak, with Demers and Stepan 50% retained.

rt

May 13, 2004
And here we are.
This is what we call a logical fallacy.

I watched every team in the bubble. Only one looked like the Coyotes. Don’t have to be an NHL all-star or even a backup goalie in bantam to see that.

Do yourself a favor. Go watch that press conference. Then pretend Shane Doan is at that table. Come back and tell me what you think.

rt

May 13, 2004
On topic - I’m not going to fault Chayka for wanting Stepan. In interviews, game footage, and more, Step looked/looks like a helluva leader. He’s a right shot center who had put up 50-60 point seasons who was loved by his teammates and seemed to be a strong veteran presence. If he could play as well as he talks he would be a superstar. We can however fault him for what he gave up to acquire him.

Off topic - We still have 3 goaltenders on 1 way contracts. Wonder if we’ll see a three headed monster in the beginning of the season due to Raanta’s injury history, or if we will see a trade in the next month or so. We’re getting closer to training camp, which if the talk is true, may be taking place at the end of December.
I’ll just be very relieved when Stepan and Goligoski and Demers are gone. I really, really hope BA doesn’t sign them. They are the perfect embodiment of what he spoke so passionately against. Here for the weather and the golf and not to “bleed in the desert”.

If he can do to the top of the line-up what he did to then bottom of the line-up, we’ll be fine. Even if OEL and Hjalmarsson stick around. We can have quiet types like that. We just can’t have so many.

If BA simply commits to not re-signing any of our UFAs (including Tocchet) then this season is already a success. Just letting Tocchet, Stepan, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Demers and Raanta go is enough for me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’ll just be very relieved when Stepan and Goligoski and Demers are gone. I really, really hope BA doesn’t sign them. They are the perfect embodiment of what he spoke so passionately against. Here for the weather and the golf and not to “bleed in the desert”.

If he can do to the top of the line-up what he did to then bottom of the line-up, we’ll be fine. Even if OEL and Hjalmarsson stick around. We can have quiet types like that. We just can’t have so many.

If BA simply commits to not re-signing any of our UFAs (including Tocchet) then this season is already a success. Just letting Tocchet, Stepan, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Demers and Raanta go is enough for me.
What did he do to the bottom of the line-up that makes you think it's an improvement? We got a little younger, but it might only be the shuffling the deck chairs. Someone posted that we lost something like 29 pts. and 19 goals with the new additions. We might be a bit harder to play against but we have to really hope the kids step it up BIG time, and if not, we could be in a world of hurt. Not changing coaches already puts BA in my dog house, and the way he handled the Miller fiasco also.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m going to presume rt didn’t like the OEL interview??
I liked everything he said that wasn't to do with last season. He seems like a really good guy. Very down to earth and positive and he's a really talented player. I like him a lot. I don't even really mind him being the captain, although I think it's becoming more and more clear that's probably not the best thing. He just can't the captain when the entire veteran leadership group surrounding him is comprised exclusively of gutless-wonder, country club, class-clown, dip-shits.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Never liked the selection of OEL as the captain. Just doesn't seem the type.

Adding to the problem is Stepan checking out at the same time whilst adding the dont-give-a-**** player in Kessel.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I felt the same way about the Stepan trade as I did the Hall trade. We weren't in a position to add either. You trade futures for veterans like that when you're trying to put your team over the top into contender territory. Have we EVER been close to a contender? Maybe you add Hall to a Roenik, Tkachuk line or Stepan to be the #2 center to those guys. You add those guys when you have a strong core. We weren't in a position that trading futures for either of those guys made sense imo. If we're going to dump futures, it needs to be for a young player to build around, like trading EVERYONE for Matthews. If we can't do that, we need to keep drafting and developing (gulp) until we have a genuine core of guys ready to take the next step. Instead, we shoot for mediocrity, don't get there and sit here without the capital to even start another rebuild. That's the Coyote way. Please save us Bill Armstrong!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What did he do to the bottom of the line-up that makes you think it's an improvement? We got a little younger, but it might only be the shuffling the deck chairs. Someone posted that we lost something like 29 pts. and 19 goals with the new additions. We might be a bit harder to play against but we have to really hope the kids step it up BIG time, and if not, we could be in a world of hurt. Not changing coaches already puts BA in my dog house, and the way he handled the Miller fiasco also.

We couldn't score before or after the moves. I just hope we don't get pushed around as much. I don't need to see a bunch of fights. I just want the opposing teams to know if they are going to try to rough up Keller, Garland, Schmaltz, etc, they will get the same treatment back. A little less physical pressure to our soft, speedy guys might create a few more goals or at least more chances.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

This is he typical HF fan response: get rid of all vets and keep shiny new unproven young players? Then complain when the coach gives vets too many minutes and not enough minutes to Duke/Strome/Runblad/Gormley/Hayton (name new shiny toy). Keep in mind Goose/Demers had good years as did Hjam before he got injured. Stepan faded but as usual we have not enough C's.

A good hockey team with on going success is a mix of solid vets (we have a few), solid young players(we need more), player development in the system (we need way more), and future draft picks (we have none). We lack and have lacked high end talent, shooting all vets won't fix that. Now, the one vet that needs to be and should be better is OEL. Fingers crossed that Chych/Keller/Schmaltz/DVO/Hayton improve, a few will, a few won't.

I was one of the guys against the Chayka hiring simply because he was way to inexperienced, while many others on this board were enamored with him. In my experience senior managers need more experience when running relatively complicated organizations. Chayka's missteps will take years to correct and unwind now. Hopefully with new ownership and BA running the show, we will have a different outcome in the next 3-5 years. In the mean time, lets hope Kuemper or whoever net minds for us is lights out. I don't get why Rt is still here other than money and ownership not wanting to pay 2 coaches.

paramo

Oct 15, 2020

When you don't give a shit at all you say:
"If we would have said that we were going to make the playoffs before the year, I think everybody would have been happy. That was our goal and we did it...I thought against Nashville we played some good hockey and defended well and won against a really good hockey club... I didn’t think it was that bad against Colorado...it was just shitty the way it ended the last two games. It probably didn’t look great but you can’t forget that...I really feel like we have so many good leaders on our team...That’s not the issue so it was a frustrating question to get..."

Ah. Gah. What a f***ing loser. I really regret not taking the bullshit peanuts offer from Vancouver. f*** OEL. He's trash. I hate veteran players on this team so damn much.

Be careful with what you wish for. You should go watch the post game interviews with ROR after he came to Buffalo. He whipped himself so hard with responsibility that he gradually stopped feeling any "love for the game" at all. It also had no seemingly effect at all on the team performance, other than maybe a spread of the depression. Don't get me wrong, I think accountability is a good thing. But it's a far easier task on a good team and more of a delicate balance on a worse one... If Arizona can maintain their good team spirit I think that can be a good base to add to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad