2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Will Hjalmarsson re-sign to a team friendly contract?
I was think about this the other day. I wonder if we could get him an a lower aav, buy-out friendly deal. Something like 2 years, 6 million, Full NMC buuut the first year pays 2 mil and the second pays 4 mil. Zero bonus money. That way if he earns his deal and avoid buyout, he gets 6mil. If he declines and we buy him out, we only end up paying him 4.67m.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
f*** that. I have concerns he'll even get through the coming season.

I agree. Trading him would have been the best move. Shame he blocked it. Hopefully he's healthy enough at the deadline and wants to go somewhere else for a chance at another cup so we get something. Another trade made for an older player at the wrong time imo.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I agree. Trading him would have been the best move. Shame he blocked it. Hopefully he's healthy enough at the deadline and wants to go somewhere else for a chance at another cup so we get something. Another trade made for an older player at the wrong time imo.

Hjalmarsson was the right trade. He has been great. It's the rest of the team who fell apart. OK, Hjalmarsson also seemes to have struggled after his leg got shot off, but that happened on the ice, for the Coyotes. So I don't hold it against him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Absolutely untrue. You couldn't be more wrong. You don't get what you get unless you're a terrible GM who's shit at his job. You get what you deserve. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple.
Is what it is. Rt didn't get more out of them, thats on RT partly. You hate Tip, he would have gotten more out of them. You were enamored with Chayka as I recall, I wasn't, so who is wrong?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Are you talking about all-said-and-done points per game production, or what? Folding like cheap f***ing suits and laying down to die during the stretch drive toward the playoffs is NOT "at or above" expectations. Getting absolutely f***ing dunked on at will by the entire Avalanche, and looking like a mediocre AJHL team in the process is not "at or above" expectations. The got absolutely run the f*** over and showed NOTHING in the way of heart. Nada. What you're citing couldn't be more irrelevant. In games that mattered the veterans on this team shriveled like slugs in a salt storm.

This has nothing to do with adjusted pts/82 versus career average, team-weighted, blah blah blah. That[s how John Chayka builds a team and evaluates players. We saw what happens to teams built that way. John Chayka probably agrees with OEL and with you. Look where that got us.
I'm talking about individual players and the year they had. You guys are dreaming if you expected better production out of our vets other than OEL and Kessel.

I didn't like Chayka from the start, most on here did. Folding the last 2 games, RT has to take responsibility for part of that. Or maybe we ran out of mirrors/hot goal tending against a way better team. Our problem isn't our vets, its lack of talent.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Is what it is. Rt didn't get more out of them, thats on RT partly. You hate Tip, he would have gotten more out of them. You were enamored with Chayka as I recall, I wasn't, so who is wrong?

Toc and Chayka sucking doesn't mean Tippett didn't need to go. All three are true and he has done jack shit with the best player in the world and another top ten talent leading his team. Tip is a decent coach but completely wrong for a rebuild. You have to be willing to trust and develop young players to rebuild a team. That's not him. Hell, he did more to sabotage a rebuild than anything else. He got the most out of scrap heap rosters and had a lightning in a bottle season when several guys had career years. Thank you for your service. Time to move on.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Why would we need to rely on a budget NH next off season? We're going to have 28 million in cap with only Garland to resign. If Soder, Capo, Maccelli, and Jenik are NHL ready that leaves only 2 spots on defense to fill. I mean maybe if we took a run at Hamilton?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Why would we need to rely on a budget NH next off season? We're going to have 28 million in cap with only Garland to resign. If Soder, Capo, Maccelli, and Jenik are NHL ready that leaves only 2 spots on defense to fill. I mean maybe if we took a run at Hamilton?

I'd want Hjalmarsson back at 2M. Hes injury prone and that's likely to get worse. I'd have the 2021 D penciled in as

OEL-UFA
Chychrun-UFA
Hjalmarsson-Soderstrom

I don't see Capo as being NHL ready, he can fight for Hjalmarssons spot.

Capfriendly has us with 31.9M in cap space next year. I'd give Garland 5M, Hammer 2M, budget 12-15M for dmen. Maybe Dougie 7.5M, Larsson 5.5M for 13M. Then 6.5M to RNH 26.5M used.

5.5M to fill out the roster or to over pay for one of the FA options. We aren't going to be seen as top destination so it might be required.

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I'd want Hjalmarsson back at 2M. Hes injury prone and that's likely to get worse. I'd have the 2021 D penciled in as

OEL-UFA
Chychrun-UFA
Hjalmarsson-Soderstrom

Capfriendly has us with 31.9M in cap space next year. I'd give Garland 5M, Hammer 2M, budget 12-15M for dmen. Maybe Dougie 7.5M, Larsson 5.5M for 13M. Then 6.5M to RNH 26.5M used.

5.5M to fill out the roster or to over pay for one of the FA options. We aren't going to be seen as top destination so it might be required.

Feel like the idea of landing the top FA center and dman is a little too optimistic, but here's hoping.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

OEL-UFA
Chychrun-UFA
Hjalmarsson-Soderstrom

For 2021, on the right side, I think Lyubushkin likely continues to improve this upcoming season and can be slotted in for one of the right D positions. He's probably not going to get much of a raise, but is a good fallback the team can pencil in pretty reasonably if they don't find something in free agency. Hjalmarsson can play the right side as well should he be re-signed, so depending on how well he holds up, we might not be looking to fill the right side. Demers could be re-signed to a team friendly deal too, who knows, but I doubt Goligoski is re-signed as he's the oldest of the bunch.

On the left, the final spot is currently Oesterle's, with Capobianco filling in as needed this season. I think Capobianco could slot in on the opposing side depending on injuries and need for a heavier line-up with Lyubushkin. The following season I don't think I'd have an issue with re-signing Oesterle. I don't think it's essential to solve the backend of the defense a season out, but as it stands there's a possibility we don't even bother looking to free agent defensemen.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
We all know what our biggest need is.
Our 2nd is a partner for Chychrun.
GMBA biggest priority should be trading away expiring contracts (except NH). I doubt Lyubuskin will re-sign. The kind of season we'll have is hard to predict, but expectations are low (as usual). I don't want Demers back. Rather sign Adam Larsson.
It sucks we couldn't take advantage of the Boltz.

rt

May 13, 2004
I was think about this the other day. I wonder if we could get him an a lower aav, buy-out friendly deal. Something like 2 years, 6 million, Full NMC buuut the first year pays 2 mil and the second pays 4 mil. Zero bonus money. That way if he earns his deal and avoid buyout, he gets 6mil. If he declines and we buy him out, we only end up paying him 4.67m.
f*** that. I have concerns he'll even get through the coming season.
Alright. Maybe shrink it? 2yrs, 4.95mil, 2.475aav, Full NMC. But it’s 1.65m in year one, and 3.3m in year two. No bonus cash at all. If he’s bad and you have to buy him out after year one, the entire contract only costs 3.85mil. That’s the worst case. And it gets paid like 1.65, 1.1, 1.1.

Then do Kessel for Yandle and sign Adam Larsson.

OEL-Larsson
Chych-Hjammer
Yandle-Soderstrom

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We lose 5 Dman next year. Will any be brought back? Who knows, but I get a feeling BA will want his own players. We have cap room for BA to mold "his team" but I don't think we will be a cap team after this year. We don't have the revenue to support it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's not the cash, it's that the wheels have fallen off. I wish he wasn't even signed right now.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's not the cash, it's that the wheels have fallen off. I wish he wasn't even signed right now.
He was bad in the bubble. But apart from that, he's always been good as a Coyote when healthy. You may be right, he might be done. But perhaps the bubble was just not a place where he was going to thrive. Chychrun was overall pretty bad, too.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I still think that Hammer is a rare positive veteran presence in the locker room. I’m happy to have him on our bottom pairing, but I will admit that he has always been one of my favorite players even before he got here. I’m more than happy to keep him

Reactions: Schemp

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm with Mosby. I think Hjalmarsson is done. He's been a hell of a soldier for us but I'd now prefer to have someone else take his minutes.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Gogo
Hjalmarsson - Lyubushkin
Oesterle

And then a very different group next year. I like the Larsson idea.

OEL - Larsson
Chychrun - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Poolman

Reactions: RemoAZ

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I really want Larsson. Not just for the confusion of having another Larsson and an Ekman Larsson but I think he would be a good fit with either OEL or Chychrun.

I also think we need one more dman as well. I'd rather shelter Soderstrom on the 3rd line. We can't afford to screw that pick up. I'm also not sold on Capo being an NHL player yet. He needs to step up big time if there's an injury.

If I was GMBA I'd kick tires Dougie, and look at Savard and Montour as well. Demers would be my fall back plan.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

OEL-UFA
Chychrun-UFA
Hjalmarsson-Soderstrom

I don't think we are going to be close to a cap team next year. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Capo can finally make that next step and Soderstrom will be a regular. We need those two to play on the big club. I think you can forget about any big signings for a least a couple of years.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't think we are going to be close to a cap team next year. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Capo can finally make that next step and Soderstrom will be a regular. We need those two to play on the big club. I think you can forget about any big signings for a least a couple of years.
We have 32M in space for next year according to capfriendly. We need to add 10M just to get to the floor. Resigning Garland and adding Larsson would get us just over that. Add one more dman and we're still 12-15M away from the cap.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
We have 32M in space for next year according to capfriendly. We need to add 10M just to get to the floor. Resigning Garland and adding Larsson would get us just over that. Add one more dman and we're still 12-15M away from the cap.
We also need to sign 12 players next year with that $31 million. Garland plus 11 will eat up 3/4 of that. The more than min money probably has to be spent on D though and Larsson would be a reasonable target.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Larsson seems like a great target but the Coyotes are not going to be high up his list. I suppose having a few Swedes on the roster will help. This is where GMBA is going to have to earn his corn, to convince a top quality player to be part of his plan. It's more likely we get a cheaper stopgap solution than a prized FA. All the free agents will have noticed what happened to Taylor Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad