Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020

This sums the whole deadline up for me. I didn't mind Danton but in the end I watch every Bruins game and I find him so boring to watch. I know he's a good player just booooring. Backes wasn't going to play and slowing down Krugs eventual signing. Now we have someone who can hit and fight guys like Wilson. It's not a sexy deadline but I would give Sweeney an A. Still have our best prospects and I honestly feel like Sweeney and Neely wanted to fix the issues of a first place team without screwing the entire team chemistry up. Cassidy didn't like Heinen too much and he's the only roster play to leave. It's a win from me!

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Good news, Kase likes to shoot! Since 2016 (Kase's first season) he'd rank 2nd among Bruins forwards in shots per 60 minutes at even-strength.
  1. Bergeron - 10.77
  2. Kase - 9.70
  3. Pastrnak - 9.35
  4. Kuhlman - 8.69
  5. DeBrusk - 8.59
I swear to god like a week ago I proposed a Kase for Heinen swap and my argument included info like this and the Heinen lovers weren't having it at all.

This team has a tendency to overpass and be too cute on the rush. Adding a guy to the top 6 who will shoot first is going to be huge.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I swear to god like a week ago I proposed a Kase for Heinen swap and my argument included info like this and the Heinen lovers weren't having it at all.

This team has a tendency to overpass and be too cute on the rush. Adding a guy to the top 6 who will shoot first is going to be huge.
Seems like it would be interesting to put him on a line with Ritchie. Park Ritchie in front of the net where he can screen and make space. Let the center and D feed Kase when he can get open, then fire away. I doubt Bruce will want to put those two together on the same line, but it might be worth trying out. An additional benefit would be that an injury-prone winger would have some protection with Ritchie out there with him.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

Only Krejci (5.26) and Bjork (5.02) have shot less at EV than Heinen (6.25).

However, I do worry a bit that Kase may defer and pass up shots until he gets acclimated to the team. Time will tell.

Reactions: Strafer

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Sweeney did okayish moves, did not f*ck up the franchise (we still have prospects and some picks).
I would say he did B+. Kase might be a perfect player for us, hard to say yet.
Atleast we have a future, even when our core retires.

If he never farked up drafts and wasted cash on old duds we would have a serious Cup run this year .Bergeron is the glue that he leans on.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
How can you say that? Thornton has been a great player who will be a Hall of Famer. The fact that his teams did not win a Cup does not diminish his contributions to the NHL.
Thornton was not a team guy. He was selfish. Thats why he never won either place. Plus he gets credit for being a leader, but he never was. Best thing they ever did was trade him. Gave us the money to sign Chara. I agree, Thornton was a loser.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
that’s great but look at the age of the core. are they going to squander another chance at the cup in a closing window because they didn’t get a top 6 forward?
Exactly. They got younger. Why ? to win the cup in 2025. This was supposed to be the year. You go for it. You missed by one game last year. You get better, you improve, that is the only goal. Tremendously disappointing day for this team and the fan base. He has a cup staring him in the face and he is worried about signing Krug over the summer. You must be kidding me. Especially after it is only bailing himself out for the bust Backes signing. Is what it is but making out like we ice a better team tomorrow is just not true.

member 96824

Exactly. They got younger. Why ? to win the cup in 2025. This was supposed to be the year. You go for it. You missed by one game last year. You get better, you improve, that is the only goal. Tremendously disappointing day for this team and the fan base. He has a cup staring him in the face and he is worried about signing Krug over the summer. You must be kidding me. Especially after it is only bailing himself out for the bust Backes signing. Is what it is but making out like we ice a better team tomorrow is just not true.

I agree with your premise, but I disagree with the bolded. We are icing a better team tomorrow than we could have yesterday..or if Kase doesn't go, then we ice a better team later this week, but even if you look at Ritchie for Heinen as a lateral move, adding Kase for the price of nothing off the roster is a positive.

But yes, is this all in? Unfortunately it doesn't feel that way. Don essentially said it himself that it wasn't all in, it was about improving while preserving...frustrating because it's days after he said "in it to win it" and cleared the cap space needed to do so, but oh well. It's over now, B's still are the best team in the league and positioned to be one of the if not the favorite to win the cup.

Is there a less reliable family than the Fitzgerald/Hayes family? Send Ryan Fitzgerald to Atlanta, or if there's a league even lower than that send him there and LFG.

Reactions: Shoebottom88

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The craziest shit I'm reading here is people giving DS props for cleaning up an ill advised mess he made in the 1st place. I'm always wery when a team turns their back on a player, kind of like the Bruins did with Lucic. Such was a similar case with Backes. The Bruins new Lucic was cooked as the Blues knew Backes was cooked. Now if you want to ignore the red flags and you give a guy $$ and term to boot, stands to reason that at least you don't make the f***ing contract buyout proof as well. That is some real dumb shit he did there.

So now as the window is quickly closing he's giving away 1sts to correct a very avoidable mistake. So after losing in last years PO's were it was evident that the Blues deployed a strategy that was basically to injure their opponents he acquired a player who has had a history of getting injured often to fill a void there is no sign he can fill. Sounds right? Sorry if I'm not impressed.

Reactions: BruinsPortugal

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The craziest shit I'm reading here is people giving DS props for cleaning up an ill advised mess he made in the 1st place. I'm always wery when a team turns their back on a player, kind of like the Bruins did with Lucic. Such was a similar case with Backes. The Bruins new Lucic was cooked as the Blues knew Backes was cooked. Now if you want to ignore the red flags and you give a guy $$ and term to boot, stands to reason that at least you don't make the f*cking contract buyout proof as well. That is some real dumb shit he did there.

So now as the window is quickly closing he's giving away 1sts to correct a very avoidable mistake. So after losing in last years PO's were it was evident that the Blues deployed a strategy that was basically to injure their opponents he acquired a player who has had a history of getting injured often to fill a void there is no sign he can fill. Sounds right? Sorry if I'm not impressed.
You’ll get over it......

Reactions: BamZoni

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I’d try
Richie-Krejci-Kase
DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork

Reportedly Richie and Kase work together and Richie might be a better with with Krejci than 74. Playing with Krejci can elevate the games of both Richie and Kase.

That 3rd line would probably be better than all the lines they match up with. I think its worth a shot

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
So you’re saying that we couldn’t offer NJ a 5th round pick for Simmonds??? He would’ve fit nicely on our second line... The Bruins are built to win now!! And we did nothing major to improving this team... we don’t stand a chance against Tampa or Washington..

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I’d try
Richie-Krejci-Kase
DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork

Reportedly Richie and Kase work together and Richie might be a better with with Krejci than 74. Playing with Krejci can elevate the games of both Richie and Kase.

That 3rd line would probably be better than all the lines they match up with. I think its worth a shot

Same for me. Read that Ritchie and Kase got some chemistry already in Anaheim. This also gives Krejci a big bodied wing again and a finisher with Kase on the right. Besides that lets be real, Jake and Krejci dont have great chemistry together.

In fact Jake and Coyle had in the past. Put Bjork or Kuhlman on the right and you have a great third line.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
So you’re saying that we couldn’t offer NJ a 5th round pick for Simmonds??? He would’ve fit nicely on our second line... The Bruins are built to win now!! And we did nothing major to improving this team... we don’t stand a chance against Tampa or Washington..

Simmonds on the second line?! Alright, enough HFboards for today

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Simmonds on the second line?! Alright, enough HFboards for today

sorry I guess Nick Ritchie is the cure.. one line wonder this team is.. look what happens when they get shut down by other top teams.. we lose because we have a dog shit second line...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00