GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he's not. He's a rod hockey player that stays in his lane, has zero hockey sense in regards to using his line mates and always goes wide and loses the puck instead of crashing the net. The puck dies on his stick. He's been gifted this spot for three years now, and it's not working. He's teflon, no criticism sticks, and the staff and brass never hold him accountable.

A past Fluto athletic article re: JDB “He’s a really good third-line left wing on a good team,” one evaluator said of the 23-year-old DeBrusk. “He disappeared in the playoffs. He’d take the puck wide and the play died.”

That analogy of Debrusk is perfect.

Reactions: bp13 and chrisab123

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
How many can you really give him credit for?

He was hired as director of player development in June 2006, promoted to director of hockey ops in 2007 and assistant GM in 2009.

So he really had nothing to do with bringing in Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Rask, or Marchand.

So that leaves Pastrnak and Gryz who were both brought in while he was Assistant GM. Toss in Krug too.

Fact is, the core group of this team since 2008ish he inherited.

He was part of some hits at the draft table. 2014-2017 he was part of finding some good players even if their were some glaring misses. The 2018-2020 drafts will hurt both on the players chosen, the lengthy timeline for development, and the picks traded away.

His big name UFA acquisitions have been poor. Belesky and Backes didn't work out. John Moore became a spare part quickly and his most useful quality would be shipping him elsewhere for cap space. We'll see if handing Craig Smith 3-years was a prudent move.

On the flip side, he's done decent on under-the-radar low cost UFA signings (Riley Nash, Nordstrom, Schaller, Halak, Khudobin, etc.)

His first year of trades was pretty awful both that summer and the 2016 deadline which he chose to hang onto Eriksson and trade away a bevy of picks for mediocre help when it was clear that team wasn't a contender (proven by the fact they didn't even make the playoffs).

He ended up paying a fairly hefty price for Rick Nash, but he couldn't of foreseen the concussion. He made two very nice deals in 2019 for Coyle (his best trade by far) and Mojo. The jury is still out on his Kase and Ritchie deals. He practically never makes any trades during the season, choosing only to deal around July 1st and the trade deadline.

Without the bevy of talent acquired from June 2003 to July 1st 2006, he'd be in big trouble, no doubt about it. But on the other hand, he's done very well at extending the Bruins own guys to very nice deals.

That's a pretty big mixed bag when you look at his drafting, signings, and trades. If you were grading Sweeney on a scale of 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being great), he's basically a 3.
I think the 18 and 19 drafts are fine. I think he got a huge steal with Lauko in the 3rd. Along with Hall taking a big step forward this past season. Then you have Shen playing in the AHL and a good young prospect in McFaul and that is without a first rounder. For 19 Beecher looks fine. And then you a couple of players that are intriguing after him. They also didn't have a 2nd or 4th that year. As for this year I'm going to give them all a chance before I will say what they are.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Moore, Synyshin, Zboril, Frederic (who could have been taken later), this year top picks, both Ritchie, Hayes. Also never fixed the hole on the 2nd line. Inability to trade for OEL when he's only interested in 2 teams. I know i'm forgetting some too, just too lazy to check them out atm

-Seny/Zboril were part of the 2015 draft
-Moore sure, but its not like the contract is handcuffing us.
-Frederic maybe a touch high
-2020 draft was terrible value, but the picks are unknown. A 2nd rounder since 2000 has a 35% chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL anyways
-N. Ritchie the jury is still out (doesn't look good), but most rejoiced because they got rid of Heinen who was the boards whipping boy
-B. Ritchie cost nothing but money and was a low risk average reward if he worked out
-Hayes was bad, but I put that more on Hayes who couldn't handle the pressure of playing for Boston.
-Fixing the 2nd line is easier said than done....most on here can't even agree what a "2nd liner" looks like production wise
-OEL wasn't traded at all because the asking price was stupid....how can you hold that against Sweeney?

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
-2020 draft was terrible value, but the picks are unknown. A 2nd rounder since 2000 has a 35% chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL anyways
-N. Ritchie the jury is still out (doesn't look good), but most rejoiced because they got rid of Heinen who was the boards whipping boy
-B. Ritchie cost nothing but money and was a low risk average reward if he worked out
-Hayes was bad, but I put that more on Hayes who couldn't handle the pressure of playing for Boston.
-Fixing the 2nd line is easier said than done....most on here can't even agree what a "2nd liner" looks like production wise
-OEL wasn't traded at all because the asking price was stupid....how can you hold that against Sweeney?

You left out the big win though: Par Lindholm

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Sweeney has had 3 years to fill the 2nd line and he has failed to do so. He does not warrant the confidence that he finally will this year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the 18 and 19 drafts are fine. I think he got a huge steal with Lauko in the 3rd. Along with Hall taking a big step forward this past season. Then you have Shen playing in the AHL and a good young prospect in McFaul and that is without a first rounder. For 19 Beecher looks fine. And then you a couple of players that are intriguing after him. They also didn't have a 2nd or 4th that year. As for this year I'm going to give them all a chance before I will say what they are.

My issue is because they leaned so hard on NCAA/USHL guys and European players, the timeline for any of them to actually contribute to the Boston Bruins is far too long. It's not so much that I don't like the players (some are OK, a few I think were wasted picks).

You can't survive in a cap system when the bulk of your draft picks are 5-6-7 years away from contributing, even if they do eventually make it. You need that balance. Ignoring the CHL for 3 consecutive drafts is a mistake. Let see if Lauko (or any of them) actually make it to the NHL before we claim they are a "steal" (and I like Lauko and a few others, I admit I'm not a John Beecher fan).

Reactions: lopey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I can't argue that they didn't qualify, but he also inherited a team that was not far removed from winning the cup and making the finals. If you look at the last several years who were our biggest contributors? Id say most of the big contributors were the core that was in place before Sweeney got here.

You are correct.

And he's managed to keep them even with a Cap.

Next level of contributors include Coyle, Debrusk, McAvoy, Carlo and Halak. All Sweeney acquisitions.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Makes sense. I made the assumption based on his raw numbers. I'd still strongly prefer Hoffman and or Dadonov though.

I guess my view of it is that Granlund has the higher ceiling, but there's more certainty with Hoffman and Dadonov. I think the expected value is close enough between Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli, and Granlund that I'd just look at signing whichever comes in at the lowest AAV and fewest years.

Reactions: Bodit9

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I wouldn’t put drafting DeBrusk as a highlight. DeBrusk was a big reach in a GENERATIONAL DRAFT who has turned into an inconsistent 2nd-3rd line tweener, and picked over Barzal, Connor, and Konecny who were not only superior prospects at the time, but have turned into superior players just 5 years later. Although DeBrusk is a “hit,” it was a bad/mismanaged pick. It’s not Jake’s fault, but he never should’ve been selected with one of those 3 picks.

Konecny would have been just as much of a reach. Both were ranked as late 1st. Senyshyn was the questionable pick.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I guess my view of it is that Granlund has the higher ceiling, but there's more certainty with Hoffman and Dadonov. I think the expected value is close enough between Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli, and Granlund that I'd just look at signing whichever comes in at the lowest AAV and fewest years.

Id take whomever wants a one year deal on the cheap and to try again next year when the UFA class sucks and hopefully the world isn’t in fire.

Well, it will probably still literally have record fires all over the world...but at least COVID free.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The teams clearly not done as there are a ton of ppl they need to figure out what to do with, all the people going ballistic right now are sports radio-listening drama queens.

maybe give the offseason longer than 3 days, idk. Just a thought. If they look like they do today when the season begins feel free to pull this post up

Tampa and the Islanders, etc still have not dealt with cap hells. There will be several more good players made available this offseason for teams with space.

Fatmancryin

Nov 12, 2018
Just a tweet from Chris Johnston estimating that 90% of salary cap monies already spent. Would suggest that there will be some decent players going for cheap money.....

Let’s hope they can get Hoffman or Dandonov on the cheap short term.

Reactions: Number8

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
he's not. He's a rod hockey player that stays in his lane, has zero hockey sense in regards to using his line mates and always goes wide and loses the puck instead of crashing the net. The puck dies on his stick. He's been gifted this spot for three years now, and it's not working. He's teflon, no criticism sticks, and the staff and brass never hold him accountable.

A past Fluto athletic article re: JDB “He’s a really good third-line left wing on a good team,” one evaluator said of the 23-year-old DeBrusk. “He disappeared in the playoffs. He’d take the puck wide and the play died.”

Unfortunately I agree with most of this. He's a third liner. Might also be that he and Krejci really need time apart. As others have mentioned, JDB is North/South with speed while Krejci is East/West with smarts. Let him see time with Coyle.

But in fairness to JDB, I really thought he paced play in the Toronto series two years ago prior to the Kadri hit. He elevated his game prior to that and IMO that hit set him back a bit. Last years run to the final wasn't really great 5 on 5 for he or his linemates.. Then bubble hockey- I thought his best game was the last game they played. He just didnt seem with it prior to that elimination game IMO.

Im trying not to put too much emphasis on the bubble play itself for any player though tbh.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad