GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Konecny would have been just as much of a reach. Both were ranked as late 1st. Senyshyn was the questionable pick.
Konecny wouldn’t have been as big of a reach. Konecny’s average ranking was 16th, and he was 15th on McKenzie’s list. If you take out some of the crappier ranking lists, his average was 14th. DeBrusk was ranked 29th on McKenzie’s list and had an average ranking of around 25. Konecny slipped because of teams who were obsessed with his lack of size and worried about his concussion. McKenzie’s rankings tend to be more accurate because he actually polls 10 scouts around the league.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All fair.

Also - if we’re going to point to the talent acquired between 2003-06 bailing him out it’s also worth looking at how and when they developed into NHL talent because Sweeney was named the teams director of player development in 2006 when Lucic Krejci and Marchand were still in the minors.

I thought about that actually when I made my post, your right, he should get some credit there. Toss in Rask's name too as he developed under Sweeney as director of player development.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Getting back onto FA, I'm surprised that guys like Dadonov, Hoffman and Toffoli haven't signed. Once Hall went I thought those guys would all make decisions fairly quickly.

Yeah, I thought the same. With the limited amount of money available this offseason, you'd think none of them would want to be the last one to sign.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Debrusk needs to improve on the defensive end. Doesn't block shots, not good along the boards. Seems unaware lots of times.

But young wingers can improve (and usually do) their defensive game.

Playmaking, not so easy to get better. Needs to be more engaged to improve his production.
I think his playmaking is fine. He did have 27 assists his first year. The problem has been the lack of another scoring threat on that line over the past 2 years.

Reactions: sarge88

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Tampa are up ^&%&* creek IMO.

Right now they have 2.8 million in cap space. They need at least 1 more forward (Cirelli) to have 13, and are missing 3 D-men, two of which are Sergachev and Cernak.

Sweeney should call Brisebois and take Killorn off their hands for basically nothing. What leverage do they have? They can't seem to move Johnson now. I'm not even sure they can move Stamkos with his contract/injuries/no trade clauses. So it's down to Killorn, Palat, and Gourde. My guess they need to move 2 out of 3. Any GM who gives them back value for either of the 3 needs his head checked, TB are up against a wall.

Umm, you're talking Sweeney here. He just gave Miller 1 - 2 million... I'm quickly losing confidence in his ability to close, never mind advantage Boston.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
Sweeney has had the same damm hole on the roster for 5 years

It’s pretty incredible

I get the feeling he is tepid about making a big splash ever since the Rick Nash gamble didn’t work out, but he was wrong to let one bad trade affect the team in such a negative way.

Reactions: BMC

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I get the feeling he is tepid about making a big splash ever since the Rick Nash gamble didn’t work out, but he was wrong to let one bad trade affect the team in such a negative way.

If he is he should just re-sign

So far he has done absolutely nothing with the cap benefit he had
The cap was in the best shape I had seen and nothing

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

That would indeed be a shame if true. Nash was a gamble that failed, but it was a good deal at the time and could have gone a completely different direction but for one bad hit.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I think Kase is more valuable than a 6th. As for Moore I seen Ottawa as a good place to send him to. They are over 6 million under the cap floor while needing to fill 7 slots. Moore would get them an extra pick while allowing them to play a young guy on his ELC instead.
I agree about Kase but Moore at 2.75 is crazy. Kase is the sweetener and 5 mil off the books

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Correct me if I am wrong, didn’t he try to sign Nash?

There was talk of it, but Nash said pretty early on that he was going to take some time off after the season to evaluate. I think at the time the most we could say was that there was interest in keeping him on.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Oh damn good point. Duel holiday, Don’s got the OOO up on email

Damn, didn't even think about Canadian Thanksgiving today? Do you think he goes two days off in that case? One day for Thanksgiving, and then another for Columbus Day, so maybe not back in the office until Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad