GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
We still need 1LD and 2LW... with DADDY/THEHOFF/TOFO out there
I'm thinking DeBrusk is their 2LW, and I'm OK with that. Didn't quite take the step forward we were hoping for this past season and turn into that 30+ goal-scorer, but given cap constraints and the current roster make up, I'm OK with bringing him back in that spot and hoping for further development.

I wouldn't sign another forward.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
DS still has lots of options:
NYI - trade for Leddy, they do not have enough space to sign Toews/Barzal and Pulock. If the Isles don't want to trade make an offer for Toews, 5M a year should do it. The Isles only have 8.9M in cap space and have few options to dump players. Barzal is going to want at least 6M.
Tbay - offer Sergachev 6.5 M a year, or call Tbay and offer to take Jonhson in a deal with Cirelli. Give them Kuraly/Zboril and call it a day.
Cal - my guy Mangy was low balled by the Flames ( according to his dad), I can guarantee you the Flames would not match an offer for 3.5-4M a year for him. The Flames roster as it sits now, is showing 9 forwards and 4 dee that have NHL experience, so they have 5.7M to spend on 6 spots to fill. So it costs us a second round pick for a hardworking LW that is getting better each year he is playing. You can pencil Mangy in for 25 goals next year, maybe more.
We cannot draft decent players anyway's, so its a win win.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
One other thing on Don. He did inherit a fantastic core. However there was a large belief that it needed to be rebuilt. More so then even this year. He sold us on rebuilding while competing. To me he has been successful enough but to complete this process he needs to get more from Studnicka, Zboril And Vaak quickly. He needs more out of DeBrusk, Lauzon, Carlo and McAvoy as well. To me we are one plater away LD or LW let a kid take the other spot. Let kids fill in when injuries come but have the depth like Miller and Kuhlman if they fall on their faces. This also leaves room at the TDL.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
So a 17 goal scorer instead of a 14 goal scorer.

Those aren't 2nd line numbers on a normal team though. You're using the Tampa Bay Lightning as your example. I never said DeBrusk sucked. I'm saying at this point, right now, in 2020-2021 he is not a true 2nd line LW on a contender. Part of the reason why this team is having issues is that they keep trying to make it happen on the 2nd line with him.

Use him in a trade for a young blueliner. Find a way to trade spare parts and make a run at Hoffman and Dadonov to play with Krejci. Won't happen but it would make more sense than trotting DeBrusk out there as part of the answer on the 2nd line next year.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Those aren't 2nd line numbers on a normal team though. You're using the Tampa Bay Lightning as your example. I never said DeBrusk sucked. I'm saying at this point, right now, in 2020-2021 he is not a true 2nd line LW on a contender. Part of the reason why this team is having issues is that they keep trying to make it happen on the 2nd line with him.

Use him in a trade for a young blueliner. Find a way to trade spare parts and make a run at Hoffman and Dadonov to play with Krejci. Won't happen but it would make more sense than trotting DeBrusk out there as part of the answer on the 2nd line next year.
I'm using a team that won it all as example. They are the definition of a contender.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I'm thinking DeBrusk is their 2LW, and I'm OK with that. Didn't quite take the step forward we were hoping for this past season and turn into that 30+ goal-scorer, but given cap constraints and the current roster make up, I'm OK with bringing him back in that spot and hoping for further development.

I wouldn't sign another forward.

Who would the answer be on the right then?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Granlund is intriguing if he is a proven commodity at LW. He would offer versatility as a proven center. It almost has the feeling of a Marcus Johannsen type of player. I like the fact that he is only 28 years old and plays well in all 3 zones.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I'm using a team that won it all as example. They are the definition of a contender.

They also are one of the most loaded teams in a while. Their 4th line can score at will on people too. If it sounds familiar it should. That was the Bruins future.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Bruins Could Get BAck in on OEL (e3) We all know the OEL team said a deal needed to get done by UFA day and that deadline has come and gone. The Bruins still sit there with the cap space to make it happen however, and these sort of negotiations can always be reborn. The Reality is the Coyotes are sitting there with the need to clear a ton of cap space per their owner's mandate. Eklund

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The teams clearly not done as there are a ton of ppl they need to figure out what to do with, all the people going ballistic right now are sports radio-listening drama queens.

maybe give the offseason longer than 3 days, idk. Just a thought. If they look like they do today when the season begins feel free to pull this post up

It's funny, I'm not necessarily optimistic about liking whatever move they make, but I do think they'll add someone else, and I'm not talking a cheap $1-2M signing. They've got $11M in cap space. I'm assuming Grzelcyk and DeBrusk come in at a combined $6-6.5M, so you've got $4.5-5M in space with 23 players on the roster, and you can get some more space just by using a 22-man roster or by making a trade.

Reactions: CDJ

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Qualified or not, he has proven he can't seem to get the job done. He was practically gifted an excellent core roster before he even stepped foot into the role, and has managed to some how never improved it (every year there are glaring holes in the line-up) and every year we get told we will see what we have in the young guys or such and such a player we acquired can play that role.

Actually he was gifted a team that failed to make the playoffs and was 23rd in goals scored.

Four years later they were playing game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Let’s take a look at all of the wonderful things that have gone down under his watch, shall we?

-Passed on 2 slam-dunk studs in a GENERATIONAL DRAFT in favor of reaches that have resulted in a bust (Senyshyn) and an inconsistent 2nd-3rd line tweener (DeBrusk)
-Traded Dougie Hamilton for Senyshyn and Lauzon
-Not trading Eriksson during 2015 draft weekend to make more room to keep Hamilton
-Beleskey contract
-Trading Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes
-Not flipping Eriksson at the 2016 deadline
-Mismanaged draft pick in Trent Frederic, who was a 2nd-3rd rounder
-Backes contract, and squandering the 2020 1st just to get rid of him
-Moore contract
-Ritchie acquisition
-Going 3 (soon to be 4) straight seasons with a huge hole on the 2nd line
-Beecher reach in 2019 and mismanaged draft picks in 2020 when he could’ve traded down

Sweeney has completely squandered the championship window for this core because of the idiotic decisions he has made and signed off on. Fire his ass. NOW. Get rid of Neely, too. Bring in outsiders who won’t be another Old Boys Club.

Lets look at these a bit without using hindsight

-2015 Draft: Sure, its beaten to death not worth talking about, but the guy had been on the job for how long?
-Hamilton was traded for 1st + (2) 2nd rounders
-Trading Eriksson wouldn't have changed anything with Hamilton, as he refused to re-sign with Boston (FACT)
-Bels contract looked fine to start and had a career his first year....he fell off a cliff after that
-Eriksson in 2016 I'll give you, should have moved him
-Smith for Hayes again is hindsight. Smith was giving top minutes in FLA. Hayes the year prior had similar production and brought size and grit....he seemed to leave the size and grit in FLA though
-Backes contract was market value, but he wasn't used properly at all. Combined that with injuries and health issues and it was a perfect storm
-Moore contract sure that was bad, but it's not massive
-Finding a 2nd line winger is tough. Hell DeBrusk is considered a 3rd liner by some and he puts up top 20 goals at 5v5
-Beecher in 2019 was ranked mid 30's to low 40's so I wouldn't call it a reach. The 2020 draft was just terrible value wise

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
One other thing on Don. He did inherit a fantastic core. However there was a large belief that it needed to be rebuilt. More so then even this year. He sold us on rebuilding while competing. To me he has been successful enough but to complete this process he needs to get more from Studnicka, Zboril And Vaak quickly. He needs more out of DeBrusk, Lauzon, Carlo and McAvoy as well. To me we are one plater away LD or LW let a kid take the other spot. Let kids fill in when injuries come but have the depth like Miller and Kuhlman if they fall on their faces. This also leaves room at the TDL.

Cores need to be fixed every now and again. Chiarelli screwed up on this step. He fell in love with the core group of guys and it cost him his job. Everything up to that I think everyone agrees on. He needed to go. Zboril Studnicka and Vaak should get time but the problem is if you're building a contender you need to have a core in place that will give you a chance to win if those kids fail. The 2020-21 Bruins right now are not that team. Its early and there's a lot of things that can happen. But what has Sweeney done to give anyone faith? The Bruins are more than 1 player away. They need a Krug replacement fast. They also need a RW on the 2nd line. I'd say a LW too so they can move DeBrusk to the 3rd line and give Coyle a good partner.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
Granlund is intriguing if he is a proven commodity at LW. He would offer versatility as a proven center. It almost has the feeling of a Marcus Johannsen type of player. I like the fact that he is only 28 years old and plays well in all 3 zones.

Everyone keeps putting Granlund on the LW. He's a left shot RW. Throw him on a line with DeBrusk and DK.

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
Actually he was gifted a team that failed to make the playoffs and was 23rd in goals scored.

Four years later they were playing game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals.
I can't argue that they didn't qualify, but he also inherited a team that was not far removed from winning the cup and making the finals. If you look at the last several years who were our biggest contributors? Id say most of the big contributors were the core that was in place before Sweeney got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad