GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
My issue is because they leaned so hard on NCAA/USHL guys and European players, the timeline for any of them to actually contribute to the Boston Bruins is far too long. It's not so much that I don't like the players (some are OK, a few I think were wasted picks).

You can't survive in a cap system when the bulk of your draft picks are 5-6-7 years away from contributing, even if they do eventually make it. You need that balance. Ignoring the CHL for 3 consecutive drafts is a mistake. Let see if Lauko (or any of them) actually make it to the NHL before we claim they are a "steal" (and I like Lauko and a few others, I admit I'm not a John Beecher fan).
I mean out of the 10 picks in those 2 drafts 4 are in college, 3 are in the AHL, 1 in Liiga, 1 in the MHL, and 1 in the USHL. And if you consider that the highest pick out those 10 was pick 30 makes it a lot more reasonable. I said Lauko was a steal because he was projected as a late 1st rounder by some people.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Not at all. Neely was the one who pushed to trade Seguin, Neely was the one who was furious with Rask and wanted him traded. He's obsessed with big guys that hit but bring nothing else to the table.

From my understanding of the matter, Neely wanted Seguin to go for a very different reason. The partying and the other pink elephant in the room.

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Don't give up on The Man.

He was their best 4th line player when given the chance to play last season. (Bubble performance not included)

He is a good player for the 4th line. He was also a completely unnecessary signing at the time, and he remains unnecessary going forward. The Bruins had and still have no lack of depth forwards/prospects that can fill 4th line minutes.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not at all. Neely was the one who pushed to trade Seguin, Neely was the one who was furious with Rask and wanted him traded. He's obsessed with big guys that hit but bring nothing else to the table.

But in the end Sweeney is the one making the moves, or at least doing the leg work behind the scenes.

Obviously, Neely has a part in it all too.

Either way, despite their shortcomings, 3 finals in 10 years is good.

Could be better, of course, but better than most.

With that being said, no problem with them going in another direction.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tampa and the Islanders, etc still have not dealt with cap hells. There will be several more good players made available this offseason for teams with space.

Tampa are up ^&%&* creek IMO.

Right now they have 2.8 million in cap space. They need at least 1 more forward (Cirelli) to have 13, and are missing 3 D-men, two of which are Sergachev and Cernak.

Sweeney should call Brisebois and take Killorn off their hands for basically nothing. What leverage do they have? They can't seem to move Johnson now. I'm not even sure they can move Stamkos with his contract/injuries/no trade clauses. So it's down to Killorn, Palat, and Gourde. My guess they need to move 2 out of 3. Any GM who gives them back value for either of the 3 needs his head checked, TB are up against a wall.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Right now they have 2.8 million in cap space. They need at least 1 more forward (Cirelli) to have 13, and are missing 3 D-men, two of which are Sergachev and Cernak.

Sweeney should call Brisebois and take Killorn off their hands for basically nothing. What leverage do they have? They can't seem to move Johnson now. I'm not even sure they can move Stamkos with his contract/injuries/no trade clauses. So it's down to Killorn, Palat, and Gourde. My guess they need to move 2 out of 3. Any GM who gives them back value for either of the 3 needs his head checked, TB are up against a wall.

Cant see TB trading with us.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Getting back onto FA, I'm surprised that guys like Dadonov, Hoffman and Toffoli haven't signed. Once Hall went I thought those guys would all make decisions fairly quickly.

Reactions: HustleB

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013

The good thing about Tampa though is even though Yzerman is gone they're still set up halfway decent where if they trade some of their bloated deals they'll still be a legitimate threat. I wouldn't be shocked if they moved Stamkos in the next year or two, to be honest. They just proved to the world that they can win without him. You just need Point and Hedman playing out of their minds

Reactions: BruinDust

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Was he not still the one pushing to have him traded?
In my family, when push comes to shove, the Matriarch gets a very big say on issues important to her. Whether that be out of respect, fear, or both -- it's a fact. She doesn't use it much -- which only adds to the aura of her power. And it's some really f***ing impressive power when it's subtly but directly wielded. We all know when it's in play, we look at one another, solemnly nod, and it is done. Without grumbling either. As it should be.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How many can you really give him credit for?

He was hired as director of player development in June 2006, promoted to director of hockey ops in 2007 and assistant GM in 2009.

So he really had nothing to do with bringing in Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Rask, or Marchand.

So that leaves Pastrnak and Gryz who were both brought in while he was Assistant GM. Toss in Krug too.

Fact is, the core group of this team since 2008ish he inherited.

He was part of some hits at the draft table. 2014-2017 he was part of finding some good players even if their were some glaring misses. The 2018-2020 drafts will hurt both on the players chosen, the lengthy timeline for development, and the picks traded away.

His big name UFA acquisitions have been poor. Belesky and Backes didn't work out. John Moore became a spare part quickly and his most useful quality would be shipping him elsewhere for cap space. We'll see if handing Craig Smith 3-years was a prudent move.

On the flip side, he's done decent on under-the-radar low cost UFA signings (Riley Nash, Nordstrom, Schaller, Halak, Khudobin, etc.)

His first year of trades was pretty awful both that summer and the 2016 deadline which he chose to hang onto Eriksson and trade away a bevy of picks for mediocre help when it was clear that team wasn't a contender (proven by the fact they didn't even make the playoffs).

He ended up paying a fairly hefty price for Rick Nash, but he couldn't of foreseen the concussion. He made two very nice deals in 2019 for Coyle (his best trade by far) and Mojo. The jury is still out on his Kase and Ritchie deals. He practically never makes any trades during the season, choosing only to deal around July 1st and the trade deadline.

Without the bevy of talent acquired from June 2003 to July 1st 2006, he'd be in big trouble, no doubt about it. But on the other hand, he's done very well at extending the Bruins own guys to very nice deals.

That's a pretty big mixed bag when you look at his drafting, signings, and trades. If you were grading Sweeney on a scale of 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being great), he's basically a 3.
All fair.

Also - if we’re going to point to the talent acquired between 2003-06 bailing him out it’s also worth looking at how and when they developed into NHL talent because Sweeney was named the teams director of player development in 2006 when Lucic Krejci and Marchand were still in the minors.

Reactions: BruinDust

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
We need Schmidt. Then I would package Kase and Moore for what ever you can get. I’d be happy with a 6th. Teams are trying to unload. Contracts. Grizz 2 years 6 mil same for DeBrusk
I think Kase is more valuable than a 6th. As for Moore I seen Ottawa as a good place to send him to. They are over 6 million under the cap floor while needing to fill 7 slots. Moore would get them an extra pick while allowing them to play a young guy on his ELC instead.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Unfortunately I agree with most of this. He's a third liner. Might also be that he and Krejci really need time apart. As others have mentioned, JDB is North/South with speed while Krejci is East/West with smarts. Let him see time with Coyle.

But in fairness to JDB, I really thought he paced play in the Toronto series two years ago prior to the Kadri hit. He elevated his game prior to that and IMO that hit set him back a bit. Last years run to the final wasn't really great 5 on 5 for he or his linemates.. Then bubble hockey- I thought his best game was the last game they played. He just didnt seem with it prior to that elimination game IMO.

Im trying not to put too much emphasis on the bubble play itself for any player though tbh.

Debrusk needs to improve on the defensive end. Doesn't block shots, not good along the boards. Seems unaware lots of times.

But young wingers can improve (and usually do) their defensive game.

Playmaking, not so easy to get better. Needs to be more engaged to improve his production.

Reactions: Gordoff and JCRO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad