GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Has anyone confirmed the Kevan Miller deal is in fact the $1M+$1M in bonuses or if it’s a straight 1 year 1.25?

This is interesting because CapFriendly doesn't have his contract listed on his page. The confirmation we have is from PuckPedia, who I'm guessing got it from his agent.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Has anyone confirmed the Kevan Miller deal is in fact the $1M+$1M in bonuses or if it’s a straight 1 year 1.25?
The official Bruins accounts says $1.25M cap hit.

Puckpedia says $1M cap hit with $1M in possible bonuses : $250K Roster Day 1, $250K 10GP, $125K 20GP, $100K 30GP, $75K 40GP, $200K Playoffs

CapFriendly hasn't been updated yet.

Are the Bruins conceding that Miller is making the Day 1 roster by announcing the $1.25M cap hit?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Coach, I've been a fan for around 50 years, a VERY dedicated fan. I dont even know now what I posted to be honest..I think the point I was trying to make was, you still have to have a good regular season just to get in postseason.. THIS was the point: IF we can continue to add to the core of players that had success in Boston that past 2-3 yrs, we can soon get back into serious contention..

I dont care about regular season BUT they still have to get in and it's a long 82 games{I guess]..Taylor Hall, along with Craig Smith makes a big difference to a team IF we can get him..If not, I hope there's a plan 2 in place cause every day players are changing teams..

Solid point and thanks for clarifying!

I think our fanbase has many posters that are done with the moral victories and regular season wins. I like the Smith addition if Hall is the other piece. Otherwise it looks like another 3rd liner forced into a failing expectation of 2nd line scoring.

Boston is a great team right now. Smith and Hall in mixed with the Lightning having to gut their roster gives me optimism.

Walking away without OEL and Hall while signing a couple third liners and Miller will be enough for me to tune out until the 2nd round if they even get that far. Seen that song and dance before.

Reactions: sarge88 and since76

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Coach, IF we dont get Hall are are forced to settle on one of those 3 names, who would you choose? Players who spent all their careers in the Western Conference means I know very little about them..

I just fear another Backes or Beleskey/Hayes signing..That's why I hope that IF they sign someone else, it's short term..

Honestly, if they miss on Hall I'd hope they sit tight and explore a trade for a top six winger as teams scramble. Sign Hall, trade for a legit 2nd liner under 30 with term or pass on the others.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Soooo, where're we at? Around $12 mil still to play with, DeBrusk, Grzelyck and possibly Chara still to be signed.

Who's tradable? Moore, DeBrusk, Kase, Ritchie and Bjork.

Who's available? Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli. On D, Pietrangelo is not happening. OEL looks to be staying put. There's a couple of others who are FAs that could fill a role. Otherwise you could always trade for someone.

First thing for me is the Bs must add to the defence. Even if you get Hall and re-sign Chara, the D as it stands simply won't hold up in postseason hockey. I don't think it needs to be a Pietrangelo type, just a solid addition who's going to give you more physical presence and strength on the puck than Moore. Lets say you spend around $4 mil there. If Chara will sign for $1 mil, that's better value than Moore. So $5 mil between the two, but you get $2.75 back by trading Moore. Gryz needs to be re-signed and that should be done for $2.5 or under. So let's estimate net costs of $5 mil on D. End result is something like:

??-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Lauzon/Chara-Clifton

So that leaves around 7 left to play with for the forwards, as things stand. Surely Hall is going to cost at least 8 p.a. So even if you move DeBrusk, you still need to move at least Ritchie and possibly Kase too. Ritchie's easy enough to give up, Kase not so much given Hall's a LW so the right would still need someone solid. Bjork probably stays to fill that 3LW role in that scenario. So Hall IS just possible while still making a serious effort to bolster our blueline, although it may require a punt on Studnicka at 3RW or similar, which is not a bad gamble to make.

Probably the dream scenario is to both get Hall AND keep DeBrusk. That's going to cost you at least $11.5 p.a. if you're lucky. But if you can shift Kase, Ritchie and Bjork, it should just be affordable. Either way, this gives you a middle 6 of:

Hall-Krejci-Smith
Bjork/DeBrusk-Coyle-Kase/Studnicka

Alternatively, you have those next tier forwards. My order of preference would be Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli. Whoever it is costs you $6 mil p.a. max, hopefully a smidge less. You would be looking at playing any of them at 2RW. In this scenario DeBrusk definitely stays but Kase probably goes. Hoffman plus DeBrusk equals up to $9.5 mil, minus Kase's 2.6 gives you just under that 7 number I stated above as what we have to spend up front. Here you end up with:

DeBrusk-Krejci-Hoffman/Dadonov
Bjork-Coyle-Smith

All of these scenarios to me are acceptable and give you a Cup contending team. Sweeney just needs to make the right moves and get the right mix. Whatever happens, once you factor in the necessary trades it's going to be a while before we see exactly what the 2020/21 Bs look like. Much like this lengthy post, settle in folks...

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Questionable person...but as a player he might be ready to really take off. It’s hard to question his production. Does he have a 40 goal season in his prime next couple years?

To me the key is that for this team, with Pasta and Marchand, he doesn’t need to be a 40 goal guy (although it would be nice) he just needs to be a solid 30 goal guy.

Basing this on nothing but my gut, if Hoffman were to come here:

Pasta - 40 goals
Marchand - 32
Hoffman - 30
JDB - 25
Smith - 23
Coyle - 21
Bergy - 20
Krejci - 18

Thats a lot of goals potentially and more important it isn’t a one line team.

Reactions: GloveSave1

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I wish, because a lot of Bruins in the core are around that age. Sadly, the prime on wingers seems to be 23-27.

Yeah, check out Bergeron and Marchand’s stats. Experience is a big factor. Seems like you’re really weighing legs too heavily. I’ll give I might be giving experience a bit on my side...but not by much.

I wouldn’t give Hoffman a 6 year deal...but a 2-3 year deal on the twilight of his prime is fine.

As was said a couple posts above...we don’t even need 40...30 on line 2 would be large. I’d put up with a **** person in Bergy’s lockeroom for 30 next to Krejci.

Reactions: Coach Parker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad