2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
And if you really want to have fun with imagine you were OTT GM -

I did Montreal once and was able to make 25 picks, despite moving UP in the draft on several occasions.

Of course, I dropped from the 9th pick like 4 times and first picked 25th. Got the guy I had been looking for in the initial trade anyway.

But it's a little too easy to do something like drop from 11 to 14 and pick up 4 more picks in the process.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You don't like Marat?

Actually, at spot 40, I think it's a great pick.

No doubt about it. Because I do see him going top 35 in this draft and all it takes is for one of those teams with several first rounders to be willing to take a chance at grabbing a potentially important player.

I'm "meh" on him due to my own philosophy on taking sub-six foot Russians at a point in the draft where larger, comparable North American and Nordic talent is still on the board, namely that it isn't the wise gamble to take.

But grabbing him at 40 is not exactly like taking Iskhakov when 4 or 5 other highly touted players at a position you desperately need to stock up on are ripe for the taking there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
With the idea of drafting a goalie, I took a look to see who's out there. I know nothing about them as prospects or if next year's draft is stronger or weaker.

Jan Bednar-Karlovy Vary, Czech.
Joel Blomqvist-Karpat U20, Finland.
Calle Clang-Rogle J20, Sweden.
Drew Commesso-NTDP U18, US.
Nico Daws-Guelph,OHL.
Dylan Garard- Kamloops, WHL.
Nick Malik- S. Ste Marie, OHL.

Overagers:
Jakub Dobes-Omaha, USHL.
Samuel Hlavaj-Sherbrooke, QMJHL.
Amir Miftakhov, Bars Kazan, VHL.
Victor Ostman- Chicago, USHL.

I kinda think with the anticipation of Sorokin that maybe there is or was less scouting of goalies but I could be wrong.

And if anyone is curious about bloodline prospects:
Danny Weight-Penticton, BCHL. Son of Doug.
Brett Chorske- Wenatchem,BCHL. Son of Tom.
Jack Finley-Spokane,WHL. Son of Jeff.
Lukas Reichel-Eisbaren,DEL. Nephew of Robert.
Tag Bertuzzi- Hamilton,OHL. Son of Todd.
Ryder Rolston-Notre Dame, NCAA. Son of Brian.
Oliver Tarnstrom- AIK J20, Sweden. Son of Dick.
Nick Malik- Son of Marek.
Lukas Svejkovsky-Med. Hat/Van,WHL. Jaroslav's son.
Jorian Donovan-Kanata,HEO U18. Son of Shean.
Nathan Staios-Hamilton,OHL. Son of Steve.
Thomas Bordeleau-U. Michigan. Son of Sebastian.
Michael Benning-U. Denver, NCAA. Son of Brian.
Jacob Perreault-Sarnia, OHL. Son of Yanic.
Jake Sanderson- son of Geoff.
Mason Langenbrunner- not sure if nephew of Jamie.
Another draft eligible goalie is Bryan Thompson- Lethbridge,WHL.

Bloodlines: kyle Aucoin- Tri City, USHL. Son of Adrian.
Noah Andersson- Farjestad BK20,Sweden. Son of Niklas. *not to
confused with Noah Anderson from upstate NY
Zakary Karpa- NTDP U18. Son of Dave.

Credit to the posters on the prospects/draft board: the only goalies I've seen mentioned (unsigned/undrafted) so far...
Francis Marotte- Clarkson Uni, NCAA.
Cale Morris- Uni Notre Dame, NCAA. Wore the 'A' on his sweater, if it matters.
Stefanos Lekkas- Uni Vermont and Fort Wayne (ECHL).

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is a GREAT Post, very informative. Bednar is projected to go in the 3rd round.

Where might you be seeing this?

I'd have no problem with the Isles drafting Bednar, actually I hope we do. Skarek is a fine prospect, but he's really the only goalie prospect we have at this point besides Sorokin (who probably will not come over unless he's guaranteed an NHL roster spot). Bednar would be a great choice in the 3rd round. Plus Czech players come over faster (see Skarek) than Russians.

If the Isles are going for a goalie - and naturally, they might - Bednar is one worth shooting for. Nonetheless, I see just three goalies in this draft worth Top 90 consideration and Bednar ain't one of them.

I see a good dozen worth considering rounds 5-7. I think Bednar (or my gut feeling, Hlavaj), as well as Clang, would be worth going for in the 5th.

But I'll defer back to my earlier post about drafting goalies. We only five picks this year (once again) and there are so many ways to get goalies without having to draft and invest development into them.

UFA Cale Morris would be the type of guy to look at in light of the current situation.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Signing Cale Morris as a college UFA would be a great addition to the Isles system.

Although, based on where he was born, played college hockey and where his girlfriend apparently lives, I would have to think that Colorado, Chicago and Pittsburgh would all have the upper hand, if they were looking to sign him.

Who knows though, maybe Lou can work some magic and the lure of working with Korn and Greco as goalie guru's intrigues Morris?

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Signing Cale Morris as a college UFA would be a great addition to the Isles system.

Although, based on where he was born, played college hockey and where his girlfriend apparently lives, I would have to think that Colorado, Chicago and Pittsburgh would all have the upper hand, if they were looking to sign him.

Who knows though, maybe Lou can work some magic and the lure of working with Korn and Greco as goalie guru's intrigues Morris?
I haven't looked at the Avs,Hawks, and Pens goalies in their system, I guess I'm wondering about the immediate opportunities here as opposed to those other teams. Maybe that and Korn/Greco would get it done, and if it's the girlfriend...she'll like it around here too.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
So, the lottery is tonight.

What happens if team F, G or H win the lottery tonight?

One of those teams could be Isles if they lose in the first round.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So, the lottery is tonight.

What happens if team F, G or H win the lottery tonight?

One of those teams could be Isles if they lose in the first round.

Crazy stuff going on here. :laugh:

There will be separate drawings for each of the top three selections. If the top three picks all go to the ne’er-do-wells — Detroit, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey or Buffalo — that will be that and the eight qualifying-round losers will select in inverse order of their season point totals. But, if a “placeholder” wins any of the first three picks, there will be another lottery between the qualifiers and the first round of the 16-team playoffs to determine the team’s identity.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/making-sense-of-confusing-nhl-draft-lottery/

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If based on pt. %, here is a scenario if Team F is granted the top choice - The Isles cannot be higher than Team F. So, a perfect storm would be needed.
  1. Montreal - Wins
  2. Chicago - Wins
  3. Arizona - Wins
  4. Minny - wins
  5. Jets - wins
  6. Calgary* A
  7. Rangers - wins
  8. Canucks* B
  9. Preds * C
  10. Florida - wins
  11. Columbus - wins
  12. Toronto* D
  13. Edmonton* E
  14. Islanders* F 2.0 %
  15. Carolina* G
  16. Pittsburgh*H
The key here is that both Carolina and Pittsburgh lose their respected matches for Isles to receive the highest chance (2.0%) to win the lottery. keep your eyes on Team F tonight.

If Carolina and Pittsburgh both win, then Isles are Team H. If one of Carolina or Pittsburgh lose their first-round series, then Isles are team G.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Need a degree in nuclear fission to understand this. All I wanna know is, what pick do we have to move up to, to keep our #1 pick. I know part of the Pageau trade, was our #1 pick is lottery protected (moves to next year if we move up high). Is it top 5 ?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Need a degree in nuclear fission to understand this. All I wanna know is, what pick do we have to move up to, to keep our #1 pick. I know part of the Pageau trade, was our #1 pick is lottery protected (moves to next year if we move up high). Is it top 5 ?

it needs to be top 3.

Tonight placeholder picks will be used for teams in the playoffs.

Those placeholders are labelled as letters- A thru H.

• If panthers beat the Islanders and Carolina and Pittsburgh also lose the isles would be team F or 14th (2.0 % chance of a the top pick).
  • If only one of Pittsburgh or Carolina lose their 1st round match, then Isles are Team G or 15th (1.5% chance).
  • If Carolina and Pitt win, then Isles are Team H (1.0% chance at top pick)
So tonight root for one of those teams - Team F, G, H to win one of the top 3 spots

EDIT - I am incorrect here apologies.

IF a placeholder team wins one of the top 3 picks, then there will be another draft lottery with the teams knocked out of the first round.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013

for your question on nuclear fission!

Scott99 meet Valery Legasov.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
All 8 losing teams from the play in round will have equal chances of winning a second lottery if teams A-H win one of the 3 lottery picks tonight

This was a reply to si, not sure what happened. Anyway, where the isles, Pitt, Carolina etc would be slotted now is irrelevant. The 8 losing teams will each have a 1-8 chance at getting the pick if one of those placeholder teams wins tonight

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Not bad. Lose in the qualifying round and get 1 in 8 chance at #1 pick

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I will say, after getting screwed when Carolina jumped up between the Islanders two first rounders, in order to select Andrei Svechnikov, the Islanders are due for some lottery luck. We have seen so many Eastern teams win recently, Lafreniere would be the perfect fit alongside Barzal.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
No luck to be found here. NHL already made the bold move by rigging the 2% chance, so rigging their choice of team for Lafreniere to go to when each team will have an even shot is much easier to swallow. At LEAST one of MTL, NYR, TOR, or CHI will lose in the first round - he's going to one of those

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will say, after getting screwed when Carolina jumped up between the Islanders two first rounders, in order to select Andrei Svechnikov, the Islanders are due for some lottery luck. We have seen so many Eastern teams win recently, Lafreniere would be the perfect fit alongside Barzal.

It would never happen, we all know it.

My money is on Montreal, a French Canadian kid going #1 to them would be ideal for the NHL. Chicago is my #2 to get the Uncle Gary treatment.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Isles to Panthers, then they will have a 12.5% chance of winning the top pick.

this is a win-win situation

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
If we win first round, Ottawa gets our late first round pick?

if we lose first round and win secondary lottery we get #1 pick.

If we lose first round and lose lottery, Ottawa gets our mid first round pick?

do I have that right?

so, obvious question, would you rather win round one or have 1/8 chance for franchise changing player?

Reactions: Merrrlin

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There is no chance that the top pick is not going to the Rags, it is virtually guaranteed. Whether they win or lose their qualifying round series they will be in the lottery because they own the Canes first rounder. You know they are getting it. And if that happens, thanks to the league handing them everything, they will have rebuilt in two years.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There is no chance that the top pick is not going to the Rags, it is virtually guaranteed. Whether they win or lose their qualifying round series they will be in the lottery because they own the Canes first rounder. You know they are getting it. And if that happens, thanks to the league handing them everything, they will have rebuilt in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad