2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Made a Tim Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might enjoy :)

If there's another player you'd like covered let me know!

Unfortunately the Isles wont have a shot at him. First pick we have is in the 3rd round.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m not sure if this is where to ask...

Am I understanding this correctly? If the draft were to be held in June, the prevailing assumption is that teams can not trade roster players?

So when the argument is made for the draft to be held in June, to capitalize on excitement like the NFL. What excitement is the NHL seeing without player movement?

I guess there’s always creepy Pierre McGuire :sarcasm:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I’m not sure if this is where to ask...

Am I understanding this correctly? If the draft were to be held in June, the prevailing assumption is that teams can not trade roster players?

So when the argument is made for the draft to be held in June, to capitalize on excitement like the NFL. What excitement is the NHL seeing without player movement?

I guess there’s always creepy Pierre McGuire :sarcasm:

It's wild, but that's the assumption right now.

Who knows, it may end up being different, but at the moment, the belief is that the rosters will be frozen for the draft. However, there's been no statement about a team's contracted players who are in the AHL, which has cancelled the remainder of the season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's wild, but that's the assumption right now.

Who knows, it may end up being different, but at the moment, the belief is that the rosters will be frozen for the draft. However, there's been no statement about a team's contracted players who are in the AHL, which has cancelled the remainder of the season.

I'd assume non-roster players would be eligible to be moved. The lack of movement of roster players is a big reason I don't think they should do the draft yet.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It would be insane and assnine if they hold the draft before the season is finished.

Either call the season and conduct the draft or finish the season (in whatever playoff format is agreed upon) and then draft.

If you hold the draft before a proper draft order is determined and don't allow for all trade scenarios, you hurt teams that want to add players (and want to trade picks this year) and teams that want to shed contracts.

Hopefully, common sense prevails.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The more I think about it... if the NHL is insistent on trying to hold a playoffs in late summer then I say go ahead with a June draft.

But, unfreeze the playoff eligible trade deadline. So basically teams can trade players and load up their rosters.

The reasoning... this is unprecedented times. Everything is all topsy-turvey anyway, so don’t even try to follow a traditional format. It won’t work for everyone, anyway.

Market it as a “Stanley Cup Tournament.” Build excitement at the draft and the tournament.

Personally, I’m fine with them cancelling everything out-right. But from an exclusively entertainment/business perspective I would do the above.

Reactions: eoin92

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Interesting Islanders take in this purely random 7-round mock draft:
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Mild draft thoughts:
- On the goaltending front, we've currently got Sorokin and Skarek. I doubt Soderstrom will be retained. After that, we don't have any goaltending prospects. Time to take a goalie? I say "No". This isn't the draft for that.
- You'll soon be able to read a whole boatload of pre-draft publications. THN already brought theirs out. I think we're going to see a lot of names taken in this draft who will not be listed among the top 217 players in these publications. And I also think several players listed among these publications' top 100 may not be taken whatsoever.
- My gut feeling tells me that part of Lou's decision to acquire Pageau at the cost he did is because his staff is very ready to make it's killing with later round picks, meaning that a good handful of the kids they like outside of roughly the first 18-20 players in Round 1 are going to have a good chance of being around in rounds 3-7.
- Don't be surprised if at least two, if not three, of the picks are college-bound.
- If they pick a CHL kid with one of their first three picks, I expect it to be an overager. Don't be surprised if his native language isn't English.
- I'm going to go out on a limb and say the team will not be adding any Swedes or Finns in this draft.

Reactions: xECK29x and Seph

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Islanders could use a good sleeper pick or two. It's been a while

We've been doing pretty well, I think.

In addition to guys like Toews (whose development into this kind of NHLer is huge for a 4th rounder), Koivula, and hopefully Skarek, you'll find that pundits feel fairly strongly that Newkirk, Pivonka, and even Krygier have a lot speaking in their favor of one day becoming NHLers of one sort or another.

I'm a bit interested in seeing what Collin Adams can whip up in his senior year. He already got big minutes as a junior and his +25 was quite impressive. He's scheduled to play with basically the top offensive player in the nation next season (Kawaguchi).

It'd also be great to see Vande Sompel on the ice again. He actually had a real nice leg of development in his first two AHL seasons. A couple of agencies feel he's one of our top 7 prospects overall.

Lastly, and we talked about it here, word out of Russia is that Golyshev is basically a given to sign his ELC next summer, for what that's worth. I'm not investing in him being an NHLer, but we should be getting to find out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I heard the draft might not be held till after the season is over. I could see Islanders trade Leddy for a high 2nd rounder and another pick(Montreal and LA come to mind) to free up capsapce(and resign Andy Greene)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I heard the draft might not be held till after the season is over. I could see Islanders trade Leddy for a high 2nd rounder and another pick(Montreal and LA come to mind) to free up capsapce(and resign Andy Greene)

This is the new news and it's quite honestly EXCELLENT for us.

Do the playoffs, then the draft.

The GMs need to be dealing at the draft. It's one of the primary places to do so. Lots of pawns on the table. And with a cap that is basically staying put, deal-making needs to be part of this.

Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, and I believe LAK all have 10-14 picks. They need to be able to use those as currency.

And we not only have Leddy on the table, but very possibly Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, Aho, and Wotherspoon as well. The latter three are RFAs.

Lou has some organizational decisions to make and little bit to work with.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am just going of loose rumors so....

Well, it appears the draft will definitely take place AFTER the playoffs.

Which is a good thing for no less than the aforementioned reasons.

It seems like most of us here are totally on board with Leddy being moved so as to rehash some picks, then resigning Greene for one more season as the #6/7 Dman.

I am still in full belief that there's going to be a world of opportunity in this draft based on all the seasons that were cut short and important tournaments that were cancelled. The publications and scouts can say what they want about how little it phases their final summations, but a lot of grades are incomplete and there will be a different rate of winners and losers from this draft than usual because of that.

Also, I'm still totally curious to see what comes of RFAs Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel. I don't see all three in the organization when the 20-21 season starts, when Bolduc should be joining the fray as well.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Well, it appears the draft will definitely take place AFTER the playoffs.

Which is a good thing for no less than the aforementioned reasons.

It seems like most of us here are totally on board with Leddy being moved so as to rehash some picks, then resigning Greene for one more season as the #6/7 Dman.

I am still in full belief that there's going to be a world of opportunity in this draft based on all the seasons that were cut short and important tournaments that were cancelled. The publications and scouts can say what they want about how little it phases their final summations, but a lot of grades are incomplete and there will be a different rate of winners and losers from this draft than usual because of that.

Also, I'm still totally curious to see what comes of RFAs Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel. I don't see all three in the organization when the 20-21 season starts, when Bolduc should be joining the fray as well.
Ottawa has a ton of picks, I wonder if they'd take Leddy for some of them.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ottawa has a ton of picks, I wonder if they'd take Leddy for some of them.

Each one of Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, and LAK could use a Nick Leddy. Each has at least one hole on that left side defense.

I think EDM and WIN are in that boat too, but they have 5 or less picks in this draft as well.

Whether these teams will choose to fill their needs by bringing in a 5.5 MM per 30-year old (for all intents and purposes) is another question.

But it's an interesting one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Each one of Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, and LAK could use a Nick Leddy. Each has at least one hole on that left side defense.

I think EDM and WIN are in that boat too, but they have 5 or less picks in this draft as well.

I think it's a case Ott, Mon and LAK are in that range of picks that we could use

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Whether these teams will choose to fill their needs by bringing in a 5.5 MM per 30-year old (for all intents and purposes) is another question.

But it's an interesting one.
It is, I'm excited because this is an ideal asset management situation. Expend picks to bring in a need, long term too on JGP. Recoup that loss (after getting a playoff run in too) on a position that's being taken over by productive young players.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh new hype reel for Connor Zary - absolute workhorse of a player

Hope you guys enjoy :) working on videos for lesser known players too

Reactions: SI90 and xECK29x

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Fresh new hype reel for Connor Zary - absolute workhorse of a player

Hope you guys enjoy :) working on videos for lesser known players too

Appreciate the video but I feel like he’s pretty known? From my understanding and research he’s projected to be a mid to late 1st round pick? The only time I was able to see some of him was Team Canada U18 where he was pretty good.

islanders don’t have a pick in the top 60 of this upcoming draft.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Appreciate the video but I feel like he’s pretty known? From my understanding and research he’s projected to be a mid to late 1st round pick? The only time I was able to see some of him was Team Canada U18 where he was pretty good.

islanders don’t have a pick in the top 60 of this upcoming draft.

You're right... and likely not even in the top 75.

Zary is a first round talent.

@Ja Sports
Feel free to provide us with some video of guys genuinely seen to first be in the 60-90 range. I wouldn't be surprised if a few USHLers and USNTDP kids will be on the NYI radar for that range.

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad