2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Alex Laferriere (RW) might be a good pick. The New Jersey native (Chatham) spent a year on the Island playing in his 'youth', he's Harvard bound after a season with Des Moines. Good shot and work ethic, his skating could be better but he's made strides (sorry) improving his speed and has time to develop further in College. He's been a part of some winning teams along the way...he's not flashy but seems like a 'safer' pick and could be worth looking into.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Alex Laferriere (RW) might be a good pick. The New Jersey native (Chatham) spent a year on the Island playing in his 'youth', he's Harvard bound after a season with Des Moines. Good shot and work ethic, his skating could be better but he's made strides (sorry) improving his speed and has time to develop further in College. He's been a part of some winning teams along the way...he's not flashy but seems like a 'safer' pick and could be worth looking into.

He does seem to be consistently popping up in that 60-85 range on just about any and every list out there.

Last edited:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Interesting Islanders take in this purely random 7-round mock draft:
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Mild draft thoughts:
- On the goaltending front, we've currently got Sorokin and Skarek. I doubt Soderstrom will be retained. After that, we don't have any goaltending prospects. Time to take a goalie? I say "No". This isn't the draft for that.
- You'll soon be able to read a whole boatload of pre-draft publications. THN already brought theirs out. I think we're going to see a lot of names taken in this draft who will not be listed among the top 217 players in these publications. And I also think several players listed among these publications' top 100 may not be taken whatsoever.
- My gut feeling tells me that part of Lou's decision to acquire Pageau at the cost he did is because his staff is very ready to make it's killing with later round picks, meaning that a good handful of the kids they like outside of roughly the first 18-20 players in Round 1 are going to have a good chance of being around in rounds 3-7.
- Don't be surprised if at least two, if not three, of the picks are college-bound.
- If they pick a CHL kid with one of their first three picks, I expect it to be an overager. Don't be surprised if his native language isn't English.
- I'm going to go out on a limb and say the team will not be adding any Swedes or Finns in this draft.
Even with is Skarek really enough in the pipeline tho? Not saying we absolutely should take another goalie this year, but I wouldn't be oppose to it either.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Even with is Skarek really enough in the pipeline tho? Not saying we absolutely should take another goalie this year, but I wouldn't be oppose to it either.

There is certainly not enough in the pipeline. But replenishing that isn't really dependent on drafting anymore. When you have kids like Sorokin and Skarek, everything else can be remedied via free agency.

Goalies develop at a much different pace than Dmen and especially forwards. Possessing them as drafted assets with the same signing regulations as skaters is simply very risky business. If you need to sign a goalie who is only 19 or 20, there are very few instances where he's NHL capable at the end of his ELC or often even his second pro contract. That's a lot of time and money invested in a guy.

Truth is, the hockey world is teeming with goalies aged 22-27 who first turned into viable options at later junctures of their careers. If Lou is going to be in the business of dishing off lower round picks for the here and now (see Greene and Pageau), then he needs to do what the other "contenders" with minimal picks do and sign UFA goaltenders who are at a later, more mature stage in their development.

They're often coming out of college or Europe. Some come from the teams who were - pardon my arrogance - stupid enough to waste multiple picks on goalies over a short period of time and end up not being able to keep them all.

And honestly, a lot of teams just pony up to free agents or head to the trade market to get their desired man for the nets at the NHL level.

My drafting philosophy has a lot to do with going for skaters, mostly skill forwards and righty shot Dmen. You can always supplement the system via trade and free agency. But get these kinds of skaters through the draft and do what's necessary to turn them into contributors for your NHL team or provide you with future trade options.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandersFan17

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
He does seem to consistently popping up in that 60-85 range on just about any and every list out there.
Yeah, and I've seen him projected anywhere from a late 2nd to going in the 5th (Larry Fisher). Hard to tell how he's viewed by scouts...maybe potential 2nd liner but more likely a 3rd liner if he continues to develop and things work out. There's certainly other prospects available that could end up being a steal, I guess it comes down to who's available when we pick and the communication and strength of our scouting.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, and I've seen him projected anywhere from a late 2nd to going in the 5th (Larry Fisher). Hard to tell how he's viewed by scouts...maybe potential 2nd liner but more likely a 3rd liner if he continues to develop and things work out. There's certainly other prospects available that could end up being a steal, I guess it comes down to who's available when we pick and the communication and strength of our scouting.

When I first saw your post, I was like 'Alex LaFreniere is going 1st overall'... then I realized it was a different player. Pretty crazy how similar the name is.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
When I first saw your post, I was like 'Alex LaFreniere is going 1st overall'... then I realized it was a different player. Pretty crazy how similar the name is.
There's a Laperriere, too. I think he's projected to go in mid to late teens of the 1st.

Reactions: PWJunior

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
There is certainly not enough in the pipeline. But replenishing that isn't really dependent on drafting anymore. When you have kids like Sorokin and Skarek, everything else can be remedied via free agency.

Goalies develop at a much different pace than Dmen and especially forwards. Possessing them as drafted assets with the same signing regulations as skaters is simply very risky business. If you need to sign a goalie who is only 19 or 20, there are very few instances where he's NHL capable at the end of his ELC or often even his second pro contract. That's a lot of time and money invested in a guy.

Truth is, the hockey world is teeming with goalies aged 22-27 who first turned into viable options at later junctures of their careers. If Lou is going to be in the business of dishing off lower round picks for the here and now (see Greene and Pageau), then he needs to do what the other "contenders" with minimal picks do and sign UFA goaltenders who are at a later, more mature stage in their development.

They're often coming out of college or Europe. Some come from the teams who were - pardon my arrogance - stupid enough to waste multiple picks on goalies over a short period of time and end up not being able to keep them all.

And honestly, a lot of teams just pony up to free agents or head to the trade market to get their desired man for the nets at the NHL level.

My drafting philosophy has a lot to do with going for skaters, mostly skill forwards and righty shot Dmen. You can always supplement the system via trade and free agency. But get these kinds of skaters through the draft and do what's necessary to turn them into contributors for your NHL team or provide you with future trade options.
With word that Sorokin is back in contract negotiations, I am back on drafting a goalie high train, lol.

All kidding aside this was a very good post and thank you for breaking it down the way you did. It has helped persuade how I feel about drafting goalies.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
With the idea of drafting a goalie, I took a look to see who's out there. I know nothing about them as prospects or if next year's draft is stronger or weaker.

Jan Bednar-Karlovy Vary, Czech.
Joel Blomqvist-Karpat U20, Finland.
Calle Clang-Rogle J20, Sweden.
Drew Commesso-NTDP U18, US.
Nico Daws-Guelph,OHL.
Dylan Garard- Kamloops, WHL.
Nick Malik- S. Ste Marie, OHL.

Overagers:
Jakub Dobes-Omaha, USHL.
Samuel Hlavaj-Sherbrooke, QMJHL.
Amir Miftakhov, Bars Kazan, VHL.
Victor Ostman- Chicago, USHL.

I kinda think with the anticipation of Sorokin that maybe there is or was less scouting of goalies but I could be wrong.

And if anyone is curious about bloodline prospects:
Danny Weight-Penticton, BCHL. Son of Doug.
Brett Chorske- Wenatchem,BCHL. Son of Tom.
Jack Finley-Spokane,WHL. Son of Jeff.
Lukas Reichel-Eisbaren,DEL. Nephew of Robert.
Tag Bertuzzi- Hamilton,OHL. Son of Todd.
Ryder Rolston-Notre Dame, NCAA. Son of Brian.
Oliver Tarnstrom- AIK J20, Sweden. Son of Dick.
Nick Malik- Son of Marek.
Lukas Svejkovsky-Med. Hat/Van,WHL. Jaroslav's son.
Jorian Donovan-Kanata,HEO U18. Son of Shean.
Nathan Staios-Hamilton,OHL. Son of Steve.
Thomas Bordeleau-U. Michigan. Son of Sebastian.
Michael Benning-U. Denver, NCAA. Son of Brian.
Jacob Perreault-Sarnia, OHL. Son of Yanic.
Jake Sanderson- son of Geoff.
Mason Langenbrunner- not sure if nephew of Jamie.

Reactions: scott99

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With the idea of drafting a goalie, I took a look to see who's out there. I know nothing about them as prospects or if next year's draft is stronger or weaker.

Nico Daws-Guelph,OHL.

Overagers:
Jakub Dobes-Omaha, USHL.

I kinda think with the anticipation of Sorokin that maybe there is or was less scouting of goalies but I could be wrong.

I can't say why exactly, but I keep thinking that if the Isles do take a goaltender, it'll be Hlavaj and admittedly in the 5th round.

I don't think an eye will blink if Lamoriello takes Rolston at some point. Heck, GMs may just skip by him until Lou grabs him - you know, for s***s and giggles.

As for Langenbrunner, eliteprospects does not have him listed as being related to Jamie in any manner. But what are the chances of them both being from Minnesota and not related in some way, right? He is scheduled to go to Harvard starting in the 2021-22 season.

Otherwise, the players in italics are the ones I see being taken at some juncture in the draft.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Thanks for the report.
Rolston was the one that kinda stood out.
Any idea how this year's goaltending prospects match up to last year's and possibly next?

scott99

May 13, 2005
With word that Sorokin is back in contract negotiations, I am back on drafting a goalie high train, lol.

All kidding aside this was a very good post and thank you for breaking it down the way you did. It has helped persuade how I feel about drafting goalies.
I have no problem drafting a goalie, especially with our first pick not coming until the 3rd round. If there is a talented goalie available at that point, go for it.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

scott99

May 13, 2005

Nico Daws-Guelph,OHL.

Overagers:
Jakub Dobes-Omaha, USHL.

This is a GREAT Post, very informative. Bednar is projected to go in the 3rd round. I'd have no problem with the Isles drafting Bednar, actually I hope we do. Skarek is a fine prospect, but he's really the only goalie prospect we have at this point besides Sorokin (who probably will not come over unless he's guaranteed an NHL roster spot). Bednar would be a great choice in the 3rd round. Plus Czech players come over faster (see Skarek) than Russians.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Some of you may have some real fun with this:
draftsim

I loved this -

I did one where I also picked 40th and 61st - assuming a deal with MTL for 40, 61, 2021 2nd round pick for Nick Leddy

Tell me how I did:
40 Marat Khusnutdinov, C
61 Carter Savoie, LW
83 Antonio Stranges, C/LW
114 Ian Moore, RD
145 Blake Biondi, C
176 Hugo Styf, LD
207 Jake Ratzlaff, RD

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I loved this -

I did one where I also picked 40th and 61st - assuming a deal with MTL for 40, 61, 2021 2nd round pick for Nick Leddy

Tell me how I did:
40 Marat Khusnutdinov, C
61 Carter Savoie, LW
114 Ian Moore, RD
145 Blake Biondi, C
176 Hugo Styf, LD
207 Jake Ratzlaff, RD

And if you really want to have fun with imagine you were OTT GM -

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I loved this -

Tell me how I did:
40 Marat Khusnutdinov, C
61 Carter Savoie, LW
114 Ian Moore, RD
145 Blake Biondi, C
176 Hugo Styf, LD
207 Jake Ratzlaff, RD

Wait, what?

How did you make that trade???

I only see an option to flip picks, but not players and future picks.

Please let me know!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tell me how I did:
40 Marat Khusnutdinov, C
61 Carter Savoie, LW
114 Ian Moore, RD
145 Blake Biondi, C
176 Hugo Styf, LD
207 Jake Ratzlaff, RD

I've done this thing with the Islanders a half dozen times.

Have taken all of those guys at least once, except for Moore and Khusnutdinov.

The former has never been there for me at 145 and didn't want to take him lower than that.

I'm very meh on the latter, especially as a top 45 pick.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Wait, what?

How did you make that trade???

I only see an option to flip picks, but not players and future picks.

Please let me know!

Yes, you can not make trades, but I simply sim picked up to the 40th pick and then picked the player available at 40 and 61 for MTL as if it were NYI's pick.

You don't like Marat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad