2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
According to NHL Deputy Commission Bill Daly, the NHL draft order will likely be based on points %. If true, I think we (ie., OTT) would be picking at around #19 and would not be a lottery pick.

Bill Daly: June NHL draft would likely use PTS % - TSN.ca

All I can say is there better not be any funny business, where they have teams in the NHL draft lottery (and potentially win it) then expand the playoffs or use a different metric to allow those same teams into the playoffs (if there are playoffs).

You are either a playoff team or a lottery team, you don't get a chance at both.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
All I can say is there better not be any funny business, where they have teams in the NHL draft lottery (and potentially win it) then expand the playoffs or use a different metric to allow those same teams into the playoffs (if there are playoffs).

You are either a playoff team or a lottery team, you don't get a chance at both.
Yeah, that would be bullshit if they pulled something like that

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

C'mon, don't be so cynical. They won't pull any funny business. Well, except to help the Rangers or Penguins....

:sarcasm:

Reactions: danteipp

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If the Rangers are aided, the sh*t shall be pulled.

And in light of their spot right in between being a lottery team and a playoff team, you can assume they'd be given the best of both worlds in such a scenario.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys, obviously we don’t have a first or second in this draft so does anyone not care about whether it’s June or whenever else?

Just wondering if I’m missing something.

One thing I’d offer is I think Nick Leddy will be traded for sure and I would have liked it to be at the draft because then we could recoup assets and use them in this draft to make up for the Greene and Pageau deal. But if it’s next draft it is what it is. Ideally we would have not been left with so few picks but circumstances are what they are.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hey guys, obviously we don’t have a first or second in this draft so does anyone not care about whether it’s June or whenever else?

One thing I’d offer is I think Nick Leddy will be traded for sure and I would have liked it to be at the draft because then we could recoup assets and use them in this draft to make up for the Greene and Pageau deal. But if it’s next draft it is what it is. Ideally we would have not been left with so few picks but circumstances are what they are.

The idea of holding the draft in June as planned - or even earlier - without any certainty about what is happening with the rest of "this" season is VERY bad for the Islanders.

Why?

What are you gonna do, trade Leddy "at the draft" for picks, then finish off the season this summer/fall without him or anyone comparable to him taking his spot?

Basically, all the teams that were hoping to finish the season with what they have, then move assets in preparation for the draft get royally screwed by the current situation. One phase of business is on complete standstill while the other is going full speed ahead.

I know that I for one was very curious to see how Lou was going replenish some picks as we do have some players in this system who are not necessarily looking like part of our future.

I just don't know how Lou can now do that with so much uncertainty on several fronts. Heck, we don't even know if the NHL will allow such trades?

It'd be easiest for the league to simply say "Ok, whatever picks you have right now, you're gonna use them. No trades unless they are on a picks-for-picks basis."

I won't even go into thoughts on trade deadline compensation or a justified draft lottery.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The idea of holding the draft in June as planned - or even earlier - without any certainty about what is happening with the rest of "this" season is VERY bad for the Islanders.

Why?

What are you gonna do, trade Leddy "at the draft" for picks, then finish off the season this summer/fall without him or anyone comparable to him taking his spot?

Basically, all the teams that were hoping to finish the season with what they have, then move assets in preparation for the draft get royally screwed by the current situation. One phase of business is on complete standstill while the other is going full speed ahead.

I know that I for one was very curious to see how Lou was going replenish some picks as we do have some players in this system who are not necessarily looking like part of our future.

I just don't know how Lou can now do that with so much uncertainty on several fronts. Heck, we don't even know if the NHL will allow such trades?

It'd be easiest for the league to simply say "Ok, whatever picks you have right now, you're gonna use them. No trades unless they are on a picks-for-picks basis."

I won't even go into thoughts on trade deadline compensation or a justified draft lottery.
Well I think the move then would be to trade Leddy in the offseason for 2021 draft picks. Just sucks for some of us that thought MTL (3 second rounders) as a target would have been nice but that gets removed now as a possibility.

So like you agree with, that aspect hurts us.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well I think the move then would be to trade Leddy in the offseason for 2021 draft picks. Just sucks for some of us that thought MTL (3 second rounders) as a target would have been nice but that gets removed now as a possibility.

So like you agree with, that aspect hurts us.

It is a bummer, because there are 4 or 5 teams that have 11 or more picks this summer, several with multiple 2nd rounders, and a couple of them were looking like prime destinations for a guy like Leddy.

It really was the a good opportunity to move that contract and bring back a few more shots at young talent.

But you roll with the punches.

We'll see what Lou is able to pull off.

As much as I'd still be interested in seeing what comes of the draft, I'm almost just as interested in seeing if they sign Blade Jenkins (who could otherwise go back into the draft) and whether Coskey and Bibeau are added per ELC. Ideally, they'd both be given AHL contracts, but they can spurn us if they feel they should get an ELC that the Isles may not wish to dish out yet.

Or do we have more time with those two, despite both having been drafted as double overagers?

Pastujov is probably just going to walk.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It is a bummer, because there are 4 or 5 teams that have 11 or more picks this summer, several with multiple 2nd rounders, and a couple of them were looking like prime destinations for a guy like Leddy.

It really was the a good opportunity to move that contract and bring back a few more shots at young talent.

As much as I'd still be interested in seeing what comes of the draft, I'm almost just as interested in seeing if they sign Blade Jenkins (who could otherwise go back into the draft) and whether Coskey and Bibeau are added per ELC. Ideally, they'd both be given AHL contracts, but they can spurn us if they feel they should get an ELC that the Isles may not wish to dish out yet.

Or do we have more time with those two, despite both having been drafted as double overagers?

Detroit is another prime destination for Leddy - a team with multiple 2nd rounders in 2020 and 2021.
Their blueline has been absolutely gutted and they need someone who can help transition the puck and mentor their young D men.

IMO, all 3 - Jenkins, Coskey, & Bibeau will get ELC contracts from the Isles.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Yeah it sucks for sure, I trust Lou though.

Blade Jenkins on name alone should be kept

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Chapin gave a good breakdown of why it'd be bad for the team. It prevents trades from happening, and that isn't something I want to see. Another issue, not necessarily for our team, is conditional picks. The Isles have to give up their 3rd rounder if they win the cup, if they have no chance to win the cup because playoffs don't happen, do they give up the pick or not? (probably not) There are more confusing conditions around though, like playoff games played by players, or the Lucic and Neal one which involves goal totals for the season. Those are the types of deals that are negatively impacted by an earlier draft, because how can the NHL force a team to trade or not trade when the conditions haven't and couldn't have been met yet? How do they force the condition to be for another draft year? Seems really complicated.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Chapin gave a good breakdown of why it'd be bad for the team. It prevents trades from happening, and that isn't something I want to see. Another issue, not necessarily for our team, is conditional picks. The Isles have to give up their 3rd rounder if they win the cup, if they have no chance to win the cup because playoffs don't happen, do they give up the pick or not? (probably not) There are more confusing conditions around though, like playoff games played by players, or the Lucic and Neal one which involves goal totals for the season. Those are the types of deals that are negatively impacted by an earlier draft, because how can the NHL force a team to trade or not trade when the conditions haven't and couldn't have been met yet? How do they force the condition to be for another draft year? Seems really complicated.
So for that instance, what's the Isles incentive to negotiate? Sens say hey, it's yours now (since conditions haven't been met) but then we get next years. Isles say no, then what? I mean, if I were the Sens I'd just bring it to a judge to enforce it's the next seasons but Idk.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So for that instance, what's the Isles incentive to negotiate? Sens say hey, it's yours now (since conditions haven't been met) but then we get next years. Isles say no, then what? I mean, if I were the Sens I'd just bring it to a judge to enforce it's the next seasons but Idk.

I don't see how that can be forced though, because that wasn't the agreement made. GM's plan for the future and to all of a sudden not have a pick you were or weren't expecting could be a problem. I think the Isles situation is more straightforward but what happens with the other situations will have an impact because it'll set a precedent on how these things have to go.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Next year's?

Don't worry. The condition is that the Senators get the 3rd rounder IF the Islanders win the Cup this year.

No Stanley? Then no 3rd rounder for Ottawa.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Next year's?

Don't worry. The condition is that the Senators get the 3rd rounder IF the Islanders win the Cup this year.

No Stanley? Then no 3rd rounder for Ottawa.
Oh wait so I didn't know the conditional pick was the 2022 pick. I thought it was the third pick this year with the condition on the Isles winning the cup. So I was wondering, if we won, how it would be given to them since the draft comes first. So disregard, didn't know it was a 2022 pick.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh wait so I didn't know the conditional pick was the 2022 pick. I thought it was the third pick this year with the condition on the Isles winning the cup. So I was wondering, if we won, how it would be given to them since the draft comes first. So disregard, didn't know it was a 2022 pick.

Yeah, but flip it around. Ottawa will be annoyed if the condition they agreed to wasn't even possible. It's like making a condition that a team would get a pick if they played 90 regular season games or something.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, but flip it around. Ottawa will be annoyed if the condition they agreed to wasn't even possible. It's like making a condition that a team would get a pick if they played 90 regular season games or something.
Idk if Dorion really thought the Isles were gonna win the cup. So I don’t think he was really counting on that pick.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Right, yeah sucks for them if the season is canceled.

Sidenote, Ottawa is interesting to look at with their draft choices. 7 picks in the first two rounds this draft.
Idk if Dorion really thought the Isles were gonna win the cup. So I don’t think he was really counting on that pick.
Hey man, he threw it in.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I don't think we'll see a lot of player for picks at this draft, because GMs will not be around eachother to talk as they normally do. Without a 1st or 2nd my interest in the draft has waned considerably and most of our picks will be in "never heard that name" category.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think we'll see a lot of player for picks at this draft, because GMs will not be around eachother to talk as they normally do. Without a 1st or 2nd my interest in the draft has waned considerably and most of our picks will be in "never heard that name" category.

You mean they aren't going to be doing the draft on a Zoom call and texting their deals to one another? I can't wait to see how old man Lou botches this and sends the wrong GM a text.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't think we'll see a lot of player for picks at this draft, because GMs will not be around each other to talk as they normally do. Without a 1st or 2nd my interest in the draft has waned considerably and most of our picks will be in "never heard that name" category.

Good point!

Due to all the circumstances surrounding this draft and the Isles missing out on rounds 1 and 2, our scouts' work will be more crucial and leaned upon than ever.

We lost a 1st and 2nd in 2017. We had five picks last summer. Other than maybe Dobson and Sorokin, we don't really have bonafide/needle-moving blue chippers in the system.

Now we have only five picks this summer and six next summer.

Put simply, our scouting staff needs to hit gold in unsuspecting places.

I think we can. Listed some of the reasons in the first few posts in this thread. I'll add that team USA didn't get to wrap up its season and there were plenty of players who needed that U18 to really show what they can do.

Just feels like some boys with good tool sets will otherwise slip through.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Interesting section in a recent article from Duhatschek at The Athletic. I'll post this seeing as how Montreal is a possible trade destination for a guy like Leddy.

<<<
Bergy’s dilemma

Montreal Canadiens’ general manager Marc Bergevin was going to be the central figure of the 2020 NHL Draft, primarily for two reasons. For starters, Montreal was hosting the draft – and has a long-standing tradition of throwing the greatest parties ever – and secondly, he’d managed through astute wheeling-and-dealing to accumulate 14 choices in the upcoming draft. According to CapFriendly, the Canadiens have one first-rounder, three seconds, two thirds, three fourths, two fifths, one sixth and two sevenths. As crazy as it may sound, 14 picks is too many – and the expectation was Bergevin would use some of those picks to trade for warm NHL bodies on the draft floor. If the league goes ahead with a June draft without cancelling the season, rosters will still be frozen and so, he probably won’t be able to do that. But the fix is actually pretty easy. He can swap some of those extra picks in 2020 for choices in next year’s draft. Or he can package multiple draft choices for the opportunity to move higher in the pecking order. Several teams have extra first-rounders and might be willing to trade out of the first round if they can get additional picks in the later rounds.
<<<

It'll be interesting to see what goes down, because Montreal, Ottawa, and Detroit each have 11 or more picks (maybe NJD and LAK too) and they're coming off of at least one summer (in most cases 2) in which they already selected 10+ players.

Montreal right now has 4(!) CHL centers they drafted in 2018 who need to be given an ELC or can re-enter the draft.

This is pertinent, because as much fun as it is for fans to see their fave team adding tons of assets, a point comes when you just can't sign everybody you want to. You just can't invest in everyone. And that means you've gotta start trading or watching those assets float away for nothing.

This BTW is one of the reasons why a number of kids heading to college or coming from Europe may be taken in the middle and later rounds of each and every draft rather than otherwise deserving or comparable CHLers. With the CHLers, you only have their rights for 2 summers before they need to be inked to an ELC.

We are actually facing that scenario right now with Blade Jenkins.

Dunno how that'll be handled this summer?

But the article above seems to answer a question I had recently. If those rosters are frozen, that will preclude basically any option Lou and co. had of adding more draft picks to a draft next month.

Reactions: SI and Kevin27NYI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad