2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The 2020 NHL Entry Draft:
With uncertainty in the air about the rest of this season, no less than just about all major European leagues cancelled, and now the recent cancellation of the U-18 WC and the Men's WC, I thought it's about time to start looking at this summer's NHL Draft.

So here's (possibly) the thread for it!

My initial thoughts:
As we all know, the Islanders currently only have 5 picks and the first one is in the 3rd round.

Nonetheless, the current Corona-based situation could theoretically have a major impact on how teams go about making their choices.

Here's what I'm thinking:
- The U-18 WC has a HUGE impact on placement in the first round as well as the overall placement of primarily European players (especially Russians) throughout the draft. The scouting world will now make its assessments without this vital showcase heading into the draft.
- The men's WC has become a place where several nations are able to showcase 18 and 19-year olds. I can't speak for any other nations, but I can say that Tim Stutzle was a hot candidate for this tournament. This tournament ended up meaning a lot for particularly Moritz Seider last spring. Kaako was going top 2 last summer anyways, but used this tourney to place an exclamation point on things.
- If the CHL leagues have to cancel the rest of the season, the scouting community will not be able to see the most pressure-filled hockey phase of the year for these boys. This may not have as big an impact on probable first round picks, but would definitely play a role in deciding on later round picks - and overagers.
- The same is the case for the NCAA, but to a (considerably) lower degree.
- There is no Leason or Fagemo among this year's overagers, but there is a considerable list of possible draftees and some of the best are still 18 at this very moment.
- It's uncertain what a prematurely ended season will mean with respect to draft picks exchanged at this year's trade deadline. This will need to be watched closely.
- A number of teams, namely Detroit (10), NYR (10), LAK (11), Ottawa (13), and Montreal (14), have tons of picks in this draft and several of those teams have had a plethora of picks in recent years as well. There's only so many bodies you can have in the system, so there may be a few trade partners here.

So, uhh, let the draft talk begin!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
As any good economist would do, I'm going to make an assumption.

We miss the playoffs and win the Draft Lottery. Ottawa gets 2nd and #10 and we trade them the #1 for the 2 and 10. We end up with Byfeld and Raymond.

Cue I Like Dreamin by Keeny Nolan for the background music

Reactions: Quicklime

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Is it possible that the entire draft is scrapped, with all players given another year of amateur eligibility?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is it possible that the entire draft is scrapped, with all players given another year of amateur eligibility?

Good question.

I'm thinking that doing a draft digitally and online is a very doable thing. If the league is ready to skip the show and the fanfare, they can certainly conduct this draft virtually, so to speak.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
CHL cancelled.

At this point I believe the league should plan to hold a virtual draft in June.

Use the current standings for draft position.

Even if the season is set to return in August.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
When it's time for the Islanders to draft this summer, I want you all to take notice of these names:
LW Cross Hanas, LW Danny Katic, LW Ben Tardif, LW Xavier Parent, LW Jaydon Dureau
RW Yaroslav Likhachev, RW Simon Knak
C Jake Gricius, C Taro Jentzsch, C Antoine Demers
D Ilya Solovyov, D Jonas Brondberg, D Clay Hanus, D Miguel Tourigny, D Gabriel Villeneuve
G Sam Hlavaj

I write this, because I believe the Isles will be taking at least one and probably even two of these players with those later round picks.

In fact, the player I've bolded above may very well be the guy they grab with their 5th rounder. And he'd be a very decent pick at that spot.

If there is a prospect camp this summer, don't be surprised is several of these guys (since I gander many will go undrafted) are invited.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Latest thoughts on beginning the draft in the 3rd round:

Obviously, I guess the first thing to do is look at who the possible droppers are. Difficult to do without a U18 tournament, because the kids playing there often create a situation in which other kids slip into the background a bit - and slip in the standings.

At the same time, guys like Hendrix Lapierre and Justin Barron entered the season looking like surefire top 15-20 picks, but lost substantial time this season and only produced "Ok" on their way to injury.

Still, I'm thinking either gets past Round 2.

So what approach do you take in Round 3? This is no longer a junction in the draft where a BPA can be easily identified. You have to start targeting things.

When I look at this franchise needs (uhh, scoring), it might just be time to shoot for a few of the mid- to lower-sized forwards who have done very well this past season and wouldn't be in this round if they were 3+ inches taller. Some of these kids could have really shot up with a strong U18, but they won't get it. My number name on this list would be Zion Nybeck. His size will be a deterrent and it'd be my great hope that he'd "drop" to the mid-3rd round.

With Nybeck a likely 2nd rounder, I'd really have to wonder if Martin Chromiak would slide to our spot? This is a Slovakian who everyone wanted to see at the WJC. Slovakia left him off the roster despite 15 points in 14 U20 team test games. He had been playing in Slovakia's top men's league and had 5 goals in 32 games. He then headed to the OHL after the WJC and proceeded to put up 33 points in 28 games. NOT the easiest thing for a kid to do coming straight over to North America for the first time. The cherry on the top is that he won't even turn 18 until August.

Now, Czech Jan Mysak is expected to go in the 1st round and he took a very similar path to the CHL, albeit with a WJC appearance and then very similar numbers. Chromiak looks like the poor man's Mysak of this draft.

Nonetheless, he's this year's Maxim Cajkovic (but better, IMHO) and would be a very prudent move in the 3rd round.

As I don't necessarily see these guys being where we're picking in the latter 3rd of Round 3 (right?), I'm also going to mention WHL rookie Pavel Novak and CHL overage rookie Yevgeni Oksentyuk. Novak is the larger of the two and scored at just over a PPG while Oksentyuk was quite the producer this season. Both are tricky. Both can score and set up teammates. Both are worth a strong look at this point if the goal is to add offensive production to the organization.

Now, another winger I think could be here and who has gotten a lot of talk recently is Brandon Coe. He's already 6'3" and produced at just under a PPG pace for 60 games and is a righty shot. I think he'd be good value and brings something the aforementioned players don't: size.

Butttt, a few of these guys, particularly Novak and Oksentyuk, could still be hanging around after the 3rd round.

This all said, at this point, my big hope would be that the team spends its 3rd rounder on one of two big centers playing in the CHL, namely:
- Jack Finley
- Jaromir Pytlik

Both have size. Both have decent potential. Both bring some raw abilities to the table.

I prefer Finley, because he's 6'5", 207 lbs. and is the son of ex-Islanders draft pick Jeff Finley. He smashed it as a 2nd line center for Spokane and just looks like he could be a real find grading well on the upside scale. Heck, his downside might be "Brian Boyle". Yep, you take that with a 3rd rounder in a nanosecond. Until Lou manages to get back into the 2nd round (if at all), this is the guy I'm hoping for.

Pytlik is bit shorter and lighter, but has a similar story for the Soo as the team's 3rd line center (although he did spend time on the ice with the team's top two centers, who each put up just a few more points than Pytlik). This was his second season in Canada and he'll turn 19 in September, but there's a good bit to like and I want to think he'd be the kind of find that Jachym Kondelik has been for Nashville.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Underestimating the 7th round?

The draft has been filled with teams taking guys on a hunch or a waiver in the 7th round. Expectations are low. Very low.

Our pick last season was a double overager in Cole Coskey. It was a guy the team saw playing with Wilde and Jenkins. That gave many here the impression that this was a "lazy" pick. Perhaps it was.

He's had one of the better seasons of any of our prospects this year (80 points in 62 games), but that's to be expected of a guy his age on a team that is competing. I remember that the draft review articles at The Athletic last summer actually said Coskey has a few tools and may have a real shot as a lower line plugger down the road. Fair enough. He'll need to be signed this summer and who knows, maybe he'll just sign with BPort on an AHL contract (meaning, he'd technically no longer be our property).

But is going for an overager of this type the right approach, especially when you've only got 5 picks?

I ask, because last summer's 7th round has basically - for all intents and purposes - been outstanding!

The kids in college have had everything from admirable (Brodzinski, Ciccolini) to fantastic (Lee, McDonough, Lindberg) seasons. Kids first heading to the NCAA next season had solid final junior years (Rizzo, Schmaltz, Webster, Gylander).

Dustin Wolf continues to kill it in the WHL and made the US (disaster) WJC squad. Several of the Candian junior overagers have been topscorers for their respective clubs (Coskey, Harvey-Pinard, Bergkvist) while younger guys took the next step this season (Guenette, Angle, Loponen)

Lateral movement was seen by CHLers Michel, Minard, Moberg, and Wedman, none of whom fell off the planet so to speak, with each playing for teams that had their struggles.

Several of the Europeans had very interesting seasons. Nussbaumer (NLAer and a top producer at the WJC), Airola (Finland's 2nd level pro league), and Parssinen (Liiga) took the next step in the pro area while Swede Pasic had a very productive season in the Swedish Allsvenskan. His U18 colleague Costmar was basically the best player in Sweden's junior circuit.

As for the Russians, each of them who stayed in Russia (Tyutyayev, Denezhkin, Zherenko) had a dominating year in the junior MHL, which hosts players up to 23-years old. A kid named Shalagin actually came over and played in the ECHL - to mixed results.

So, what's the point?

Basically, this round can be every bit as beneficial for a team, if approached properly and when teams have a strategy. There's no reason to waste the pick here or go about things non-chalantly, simply because the employees are tired of a long draft weekend.

Especially when you have only 5 picks. You have to make them count.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is the next Toews or Aho to be had as of the 4th round in this draft?

The answer is basically yes, possibly.

Be very certain that the most sought-after overage Dman in this draft is Alex Cotton of the WHL. He will first be 19 in May and he went from 2-9-11 in his draft year to 20-47-67 in 63 games this season. He may be gone by/before Round 3.

But I'll throw out the two names I'm looking at who most remind me of getting a Toews (i.e. drafting a Dman out of college hockey) and getting an Aho (overage offensive Dman from Sweden).

The college player would be Zach Uens of Merrimack. He's 6'2" and needs to put on some weigth, but never really popped out in the OJHL. Wasn't bad, wasn't anything special. But he did go to Merrimack as a true freshman and put up 4-14-18 numbers. In addition, his graceful and effective skating is his calling card.

In Sweden, a kid who actually suited up for 9 SHL games in his draft year just spent this past season in the Allsvenskan (second highest pro league) and killed it as a 19-year old. His name is Adam Wilsby and he put up 3-27-30 numbers over 41 games. The size is just below average at 6 foot and 183 lbs., but he really came out of nowhere to play a very notable game and got lots of minutes along the way. He'll be heading back to his parent club in the SHL next season.

Otherwise, as mentioned in a post above, I'm thinking if there's one Dman available as of Round 4 who the Islanders would know about and possibly want to add to the system, it's Ilya Solovyov. Playing in Saginaw, he's a Belarussian who turns 20 in July and has been relatively unknown in the Belarussian system until coming to the OHL this year. As a North American rookie, he's put up 40 points in 53 games and added a +43 along the way. Gotta think the Isles are very aware of him. 6'2" as well.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Got a lot of time on your hands lately Chapin??

With the season finishing in February this draft is even more of crapshoot that per normal. Sit tight and watch some higher ranked players drop, maybe even trade down a little to pick up a few more picks.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Got a lot of time on your hands lately Chapin??

Actually, not really, but I'm suffering big-time from the lack of hockey!

With the season finishing in February this draft is even more of crapshoot that per normal. Sit tight and watch some higher ranked players drop, maybe even trade down a little to pick up a few more picks.

It'll be interesting to see what is going to happen.

I've looked around and many in the biz don't think the shortened season will have THAT much of an impact on what the scouts are thinking, but there's certainly no denying that the U18 WC is an exclamation point to the season and kids often improve through draft position with a strong tourney while guys on the lesser teams get to show the scouting world if and what they are capable (of) at that level. A nation like Germany would have been very interesting to see, because there are a few kids that warrant draft mentioning beyond Stutzle, Reichel, and Peterka, and the U18 was going to be their one big opportunity to prove that.

I also don't know if we'll see more overagers in light of the scouts having really seen more of them over several years? Maybe not...

What we can reckon with is that the guys who jump up the rankings due to a strong playoffs or the aforementioned U18s won't be doing that. There'll be no i.e. Kratsov marching up the charts, because of a strong KHL playoffs. The body of work just isn't there for the scouting community.

But from the outside looking in, there's certainly potential for guys to slip through the cracks and drop. Some perhaps rather heavily.

For teams like the Islanders, they'll need to keep a good eye on the guys they think should be top 2-3 rounders and are sitting there in 4 and beyond.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Actually, not really, but I'm suffering big-time from the lack of hockey!

It'll be interesting to see what is going to happen.

I've looked around and many in the biz don't think the shortened season will have THAT much of an impact on what the scouts are thinking, but there's certainly no denying that the U18 WC is an exclamation point to the season and kids often improve through draft position with a strong tourney while guys on the lesser teams get to show the scouting world if and what they are capable (of) at that level. A nation like Germany would have been very interesting to see, because there are a few kids that warrant draft mentioning beyond Stutzle, Reichel, and Peterka, and the U18 was going to be their one big opportunity to prove that.

I also don't know if we'll see more overagers in light of the scouts having really seen more of them over several years? Maybe not...

What we can reckon with is that the guys who jump up the rankings due to a strong playoffs or the aforementioned U18s won't be doing that. There'll be no i.e. Kratsov marching up the charts, because of a strong KHL playoffs. The body of work just isn't there for the scouting community.

But from the outside looking in, there's certainly potential for guys to slip through the cracks and drop. Some perhaps rather heavily.

For teams like the Islanders, they'll need to keep a good eye on the guys they think should be top 2-3 rounders and are sitting there in 4 and beyond.

The bolded bit is most important. Some players always rise through a great playoffs or a strong finish to the season, whereas others drop. Every year a few prospects slip through the cracks and then the Islanders need to pounce. Their first pick will most likely be around the 75-80 so someone ranked quite a bit higher is bound to fall.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The bolded bit is most important. Some players always rise through a great playoffs or a strong finish to the season, whereas others drop. Every year a few prospects slip through the cracks and then the Islanders need to pounce. Their first pick will most likely be around the 75-80 so someone ranked quite a bit higher is bound to fall.

In a post above, I provided some thoughts on the 3rd round.

I can see one of the smaller forwards whose skill set is top flight possibly dropping to that area. Nybeck is the kid I'd love to still be there at that stage. I'm also wondering if Chromiak will be around?

I see these kids as maybe being a Brayden Point type of find if they're there at that juncture (without saying I think they'll have the impact he's ended up having, but making the NHL in a scoring capacity, size be damned [and Chromiak is average in size]).

Reactions: SI and frankieboy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I am still convinced that Leddy will eventually be moved for picks for this upcoming draft.

I have 3 scenarios for my draft experts:

deal #1 - Leddy to the Devils for the Vancouver 1st and the isles 2021 second (the one we have up for Greene) The Canucks sit in that 17-20 spot. If this deal happened - who is your top choices in this range?

deal#2 - Vegas first in 2020 and a second in 2021. At this moment, Vegas sits in that 25-30 spot - who are your top candidates in this spot?

deal#3 - Montreal- 2x 2nd rounders in 2020 (Hawks and Habs picks) and a second in 2021. Who are your top choices for the 39th (Habs) and 40th (Hawks) OA picks ?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am still convinced that Leddy will eventually be moved for picks for this upcoming draft.

deal #1 - Leddy to the Devils for the Vancouver 1st and the isles 2021 second (the one we have up for Greene) The Canucks sit in that 17-20 spot. If this deal happened - who is your top choices in this range?

deal#2 - Vegas first in 2020 and a second in 2021. At this moment, Vegas sits in that 25-30 spot - who are your top candidates in this spot?

deal#3 - Montreal- 2x 2nd rounders in 2020 (Hawks and Habs picks) and a second in 2021. Who are your top choices for the 39th (Habs) and 40th (Hawks) OA picks ?
I like these but I think 1st rounder and maybe a little more is enough, can't see a first and a second. I have Leddy higher than Alec Martinez and maybe on par with Muzzin.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I like these but I think 1st rounder and maybe a little more is enough, can't see a first and a second. I have Leddy higher than Alec Martinez and maybe on par with Muzzin.

A season and a half of Muzzin was a 1st and 2 prospects (both were 2nd round picks)

With regards to my #1 - I do think if the pick stays at 17, then IMO it is a bit of reach. Maybe there is no second attached like you mentioned.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I like Quinn, Lapierre for #1, but don’t know enough after that top 20

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
A season and a half of Muzzin was a 1st and 2 prospects (both were 2nd round picks)

With regards to my #1 - I do think if the pick stays at 17, then IMO it is a bit of reach. Maybe there is no second attached like you mentioned.
I'll be honest and say idk who the prospects were, thought the 1st was the big part of the deal.

I do think moving Leddy is the move. Re-sign Greene to a one year deal too. Dobson gets a bigger role.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I'd be stoked if Lou could get a 1st in a deal for Leddy.

For some reason, I just don't see it happening, much less accompanied by a 2nd.

I like the Muzzin comparisons, but I don't think that necessarily sets the market for Leddy, not in this day and age.

This sounds a bit more like what I'd expect, and I'm thinking Lou couldn't actually pry another 2nd out of 2021 in the process (albeit perhaps an extra 4th in one of the upcoming drafts).

But yes, this is the type of return I'd hope for and particularly Montreal is one of the biggest possible trading partners in light of their need for a top 4 left side Dman and the 14 picks they have in the upcoming draft.

In addition, Montreal has had so many draft picks in recent years that they may be open to moving a viable prospect along with the 2nds, because they naturally aren't going to be able to sign and keep everybody in the fold.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'd be stoked if Lou could get a 1st in a deal for Leddy.

For some reason, I just don't see it happening, much less accompanied by a 2nd.

I like the Muzzin comparisons, but I don't think that necessarily sets the market for Leddy, not in this day and age.

This sounds a bit more like what I'd expect, and I'm thinking Lou couldn't actually pry another 2nd out of 2021 in the process (albeit perhaps an extra 4th in one of the upcoming drafts).

But yes, this is the type of return I'd hope for and particularly Montreal is one of the biggest possible trading partners in light of their need for a top 4 left side Dman and the 14 picks they have in the upcoming draft.

In addition, Montreal has had so many draft picks in recent years that they may be open to moving a viable prospect along with the 2nds, because they naturally aren't going to be able to sign and keep everybody in the fold.

If #3 happened, who would you pick in 2020 at 39th and 40th OA?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If #3 happened, who would you pick in 2020 at 39th and 40th OA?

Good question!:)

I will have to be a bit partial here, because I've seen a couple of kids for a few years now and think they'd be great picks at that range.

Here are my overall thoughts:
- If either are available, I'd definitely grab Reichel or Peterka with pick 39. My preference is Peterka, but both have done outstanding things as 17-year olds in a men's pro league and each has a number of tools making them great NHL prospects. I believe will be NHLers.
- I think Thomas Bordeleau may still be hanging around in this range as this isn't the strongest year for the USNTDP and they missed out on the U18, which is their biggest tournament. In addition, this kid is only 5'9" at the moment. That said, there's a lot of skill here. A lot. The same can be said about Marat Khusnutdinov from Russia, whose stock likely would have soared after the U18, had it taken place.
- I'm also wondering where Tyson Foerster will go. Good size and a huge season for Barrie. Doesn't get talked about a whole lot in comparison to other CHLers who put up 80 points in less than 60 games. There'll be a reason for that, but he's seen as a sure-fire top 45 player here.
- There's a Swedish center named Theodor Niederbach and I think he's got a lot to like in an offensive capacity. Was really hoping to see him at the U18. He had a monster junior year for Frolunda. I think he's going earlier than some out there think at the moment.
- Super agent Patrice Brisson has a son, Brendan, who is heading to Michigan and killed it in the USHL. Both he and his linemate Colangelo bring a lot to the table and I strongly suspect that a few teams out there want them big-time. Can even see one going early in the 2nd, much like when Ottawa took Pinto as the first pick of the second round, which had people scratching heads, but looks fully understandable now 9 months later.
- Still, I'd tip that the Isles would use one of those picks on a Dman who is dropping. This draft is felt to have a lot of quality defensemen in that 20-50 range. The ones I'd be all over if they are there at 40 are Barron, Schneider, Mukhamadullin, Poirier, and Wallinder, in exactly that order. There's reason to believe than any of these guys could be first rounders - or drop down to the end of the 2nd round. All of them would be nice additions and getting one at 40 would, for me, feel a bit like seeing Bode Wilde there a few summers back.
- But if all the marbles fall as expected, I think the realistic Dman I'd want to see the Isles grab at this juncture is Helge Grans of Malmo. He comes from a hockey family and is incredibly raw. What I saw in the SHL has me thinking he's capable of being an absolute beast if and when he "gets it". There's still a lot of maturing to do for him, but his 20-game(+) SHL introduction made me think the upside there could be immense.

Now I feel a disappointed knowing we don't even have one second rounder at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Good question!:)

I will have to be a bit partial here, because I've seen a couple of kids for a few years now and think they'd be great picks at that range.

Here are my overall thoughts:
- If either are available, I'd definitely grab Reichel or Peterka with pick 39. My preference is Peterka, but both have done outstanding things as 17-year olds in a men's pro league and each has a number of tools making them great NHL prospects. I believe will be NHLers.
- I think Thomas Bordeleau may still be hanging around in this range as this isn't the strongest year for the USNTDP and they missed out on the U18, which is their biggest tournament. In addition, this kid is only 5'9" at the moment. That said, there's a lot of skill here. A lot. The same can be said about Marat Khusnutdinov from Russia, whose stock likely would have soared after the U18, had it taken place.
- I'm also wondering where Tyson Foerster will go. Good size and a huge season for Barrie. Doesn't get talked about a whole lot in comparison to other CHLers who put up 80 points in less than 60 games. There'll be a reason for that, but he's seen as a sure-fire top 45 player here.
- There's a Swedish center named Theodor Niederbach and I think he's got a lot to like in an offensive capacity. Was really hoping to see him at the U18. He had a monster junior year for Frolunda. I think he's going earlier than some out there think at the moment.
- Super agent Patrice Brisson has a son, Brendan, who is heading to Michigan and killed it in the USHL. Both he and his linemate Colangelo bring a lot to the table and I strongly suspect that a few teams out there want them big-time. Can even see one going early in the 2nd, much like when Ottawa took Pinto as the first pick of the second round, which had people scratching heads, but looks fully understandable now 9 months later.
- Still, I'd tip that the Isles would use one of those picks on a Dman who is dropping. This draft is felt to have a lot of quality defensemen in that 20-50 range. The ones I'd be all over if they are there at 40 are Barron, Schneider, Mukhamadullin, Poirier, and Wallinder, in exactly that order. There's reason to believe than any of these guys could be first rounders - or drop down to the end of the 2nd round. All of them would be nice additions and getting one at 40 would, for me, feel a bit like seeing Bode Wilde there a few summers back.
- But if all the marbles fall as expected, I think the realistic Dman I'd want to see the Isles grab at this juncture is Helge Grans of Malmo. He comes from a hockey family and is incredibly raw. What I saw in the SHL has me thinking he's capable of being an absolute beast if and when he "gets it". There's still a lot of maturing to do for him, but his 20-game SHL introduction made me think there could the upside could be immense.

Now I feel a disappointed knowing we don't even have one second rounder at the moment.

Amazing - Thank YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad