Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Lafreniere doesn't impress me. Am I alone in this?

I feel like I need to see more of Lafreniere. I've mostly seen him playing against older competition and he hasn't stood out as much as I expected a projected first overall pick to do so. I definitely have not seen the "surefire" first overall pick which others have, but I might not have given him a fair shake, either.

So you're not alone with the caveat that there's likely more we're missing.

Reactions: Basilisk

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While against older/better competition I'll agree he gives off a bit of a Daigle/Drouin vibe, and I think he's given the French-Canadian boost since they're thirsty for a superstar and the Q has a bad rep lately, the guy is absolutely dominant against peers his age, and the comparisons to Crosby et. al. are there in his production. That can't be ignored:

Alexis Lafrenière Would Rather You Didn’t Compare Him to Sidney Crosby

Keep in mind he's YOUNG.

He's just been on the radar for all eternity so he's getting punished like Hughes was for always being there and, while being insanely impressive, you hope for yet more even if it's not fair.

Byfield et. al. will challenge him and he's no McDavid, but to suggest he's unimpressive...well, I don't know what you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter James Bond II

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
While against older/better competition I'll agree he gives off a bit of a Daigle/Drouin vibe, and I think he's given the French-Canadian boost since they're thirsty for a superstar and the Q has a bad rep lately, the guy is absolutely dominant against peers his age, and the comparisons to Crosby et. al. are there in his production. That can't be ignored:

Alexis Lafrenière Would Rather You Didn’t Compare Him to Sidney Crosby

Keep in mind he's YOUNG.

He's just been on the radar for all eternity so he's getting punished like Hughes was for always being there and, while being insanely impressive, you hope for yet more even if it's not fair.

Byfield et. al. will challenge him and he's no McDavid, but to suggest he's unimpressive...well, I don't know what you need.

Yeah, maybe saying unimpressive isn't the best way to describe my feelings. I just don't see a surefire 1st overall pick like others may insist on. I think there are other candidates who will challenge his skillset.

Again, I just need to see more of him against the Q. With what little I have seen, he is in the mix of it all, all the time, but there's nothing I really saw either where he made the opposition look silly. He looked ahead of his peers, but not in the "he doesn't belong in this league" level, if that makes sense.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, maybe saying unimpressive isn't the best way to describe my feelings. I just don't see a surefire 1st overall pick like others may insist on. I think there are other candidates who will challenge his skillset.

Again, I just need to see more of him against the Q. With what little I have seen, he is in the mix of it all, all the time, but there's nothing I really saw either where he made the opposition look silly. He looked ahead of his peers, but not in the "he doesn't belong in this league" level, if that makes sense.

I agree he'll be challenged and I'm always personally skeptical of the Q anyway. But watching what he does even just in highlight reels realizing that it's a 16 year old tooling lots of 18-20 years olds is important. What's impressive about him to me isn't so much that he's doing otherworldly fun-to-watch things all the time, just that he's doing it rarely against players of his age/size/development. Two year + difference is substantial.

If he doesn't show progression in this, his draft year, I think it'll be more of a question. And he's undoubtedly raw as far as an all-around player. But everything points to him absolutely blowing it away this year and holding onto his draft position.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
My NHL Draft has the Kings selecting 6th overall and taking Perfetti. So is the person that does this site a Vegas fan?? Has them selecting 31st....hmm/

2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Was going to say alphabetical, I know that's how tankathon does it, but that that's clearly not the case here.

EDIT: Never mind, no they don't, it's the same order as they finished last season pre-lottery.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I hadn't done a ton of research into next year's class, so I was a little surprised to see an NCAA guy (Dylan Holloway) in the top 10. Typically draft guys aren't old enough for college unless they're a late birthday like Holloway (or if they graduate high school early like Werenski/Hanifin/Poehling).

I was on the fence with adding a Boston leg to my East Coast vacation next month, but now I'm leaning to do it. Boston College hosts Wisconsin which'll have a freshman class with Turcotte, Caufield, and Holloway.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Bob McKenzie's Pre-Season Draft Ranking Show

New video up today. Nearly 23 minutes long.

Mainly focuses on Lafreniere though and gets bogged down in the middle with an interview from him.

https://www.tsn.ca/lafreniere-leads-loaded-class-in-tsn-hockey-s-pre-season-draft-ranking-1.1364438

The 2020 NHL Draft campaign opens with naming rights belonging to Alexis Lafreniere.

Whether it remains the Alexis Lafreniere Draft, well, that’s another question.

First, though, let’s start with the indisputable: The Rimouski Oceanic left winger is the unanimous No. 1 on TSN’s 2020 NHL Draft Pre-Season Top 20 Rankings. Ten out of 10 NHL scouts surveyed by TSN put Lafreniere first on their lists entering the 2019-20 season.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I thought I had referenced it, but anyone who wants to get objective videos on the upcoming prospects, I suggest going to: ProspectShifts.com

They have free videos as well as some exclusively for subscribers.

I've watched more of Lafreniere, and while he's a very good player, I still am not on the train. He has exceptional hand-eye coordination, but he's definitely not "surefire #1" material to me. He has a lot of question marks that I won't get into, frankly because I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on the kid. I would be happy if the Kings got him, but I would still be lobbying for Byfield #1 if the Kings got the #1 overall pick.

Reactions: ru4reals and Lt Dan

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think a Dman with 1st pairing potential would be ideal for this organization. Does Jamie Drysdale have that potential?

Of course drafting BPA needs to be practiced here.

Drysdale has 1st pairing potential but its his PPQB abilities that will standout.. Think Cale Makar-ish

Reactions: Fat Elvis

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
The Cale Makar comparisons are a good one. Drysdale would be a huge add for us. Do not think we end up low enough to draft him however

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad