Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
raw

Not trying to be a wet blanket , but our draft record speaks for itself.

Kane draft...picked 4th. Chicago jumped 5 spots
Stamkos draft...picked 2nd
Hughes draft...picked 5th. Chicago jumped from 12th to 3rd!

We have had zero draft luck, while pitt, edm, nj have had all of it. NJ will get the top pick again...bank on it!

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

We have had zero draft luck, while pitt, edm, nj have had all of it. NJ will get the top pick again...bank on it!

Yup aint this the truth!!! We'll no doubt finish with one of the worst records in the league again this year it's just a given, and of course get screwed in the A** for the 1st overall. How much we want Lafreniere and Byfield I'm already getting myself ready for one of the other players mentioned. I think this years draft is better then last years as well. You have a lot of players that can be pretty damn good one day. Raymond, Holts, Perfetti, Drysdale, Askarov just to name a few. It's going to be quite exciting around the trade deadline who knows Blake might just get us another 1st. Okay not really but I'll take a 2nd rounder for any of our guys.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What I love about this draft is that I'd be happy with anyone in the top 5 or top 10. I personally think its better than last years. Obviously I want Lafraniere or Byfield, but I'd be perfectly content getting Raymond, Lundell, Askarov, or Rossi.

Imagine if LA could somehow get two top 10's. Somehow get Vancouver's first from Tampa and then hope Vancouver slides.

Reactions: ru4reals

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I wonder if this is the year a 17th place team jumps huge!

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Imagine if LA could somehow get two top 10's. Somehow get Vancouver's first from Tampa and then hope Vancouver slides.
Buffalo has hopes of making the playoffs but they'll sink like always.. tahts the team i want to target for a trade...
Toffoli - $1m-$2mil
Campbell
Lewis - $1mil
for
2020 1st
Scandella
Sobotka
or something there about... gives them a much needed top 6, steady Goalie and a PK, bottom 6 plus cap salary relief

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

So we are due!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Our only chance for another first came when Marleau needed to be moved from Toronto. We didn't have the cap space with Dion on the cap but I still feel Blake needed to be creative there and get that pick.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Our only chance for another first came when Marleau needed to be moved from Toronto. We didn't have the cap space with Dion on the cap but I still feel Blake needed to be creative there and get that pick.
you're allowed to exceed the cap in the off season. Kempe and I believe Iafallo were not inked yet. There was room at the time to do it and then figure out the repercussions

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

AEG wasn't going to do it since they were on the hook for Dion's actual dollars and Kovy. Let Blake go spend another $6MM or whatever after he pissed away their money and they knew they would be going in to a lost season with weaker attendance? Hell, they only spent like $2MM on new players after finishing in next-to-last.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Dion and Kovy are Blake's problems and he couldn't fix them in the off season or last TDL. At the very least he should of found a way to shed some more salary so that he can profit from cap strapped teams to gain more picks. Cap space is the biggest asset we have because no one on this roster, that is available at the TDL, is worth a first round pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Dion and Kovy are Blake's problems and he couldn't fix them in the off season or last TDL. At the very least he should of found a way to shed some more salary so that he can profit from cap strapped teams to gain more picks. Cap space is the biggest asset we have because no one on this roster, that is available at the TDL, is worth a first round pick.

Have you noticed that Dion Phaneuf is no longer with the Kings and shed his salary?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think he meant as in that's one more salary they had to eat so AEG won't be so forgiving as to just eat further future cap space to get picks.

I took it as the Kings didn't do enough to shed more salary during the off-season, when the value of most of the trade candidates was likely at their lowest. And because of Marleau being a 35+ contract, his full cap hit still counts on Carolina's books, which is $6.25M in dead space. If the Kings did elect to do that, that cap space is gone and they'd have less than $1M in space today.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The Kings won the very first draft lottery in 1995 with only a 4.2% chance. Unfortunately that was under the old rules when you could only move up 4 spots. You can blame Penny Hardaway for that oddly enough.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC

it looks like EDM will make the playoffs. PIT s a maybe. NJ, if they trade Hall, won’t get the first pick. My $$ is on DET. NHL does this as a favor to Stevie Y.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Have you noticed that Dion Phaneuf is no longer with the Kings and shed his salary?

We will have over 10 million in dead cap space for Dion and Kovy next year, how is that shedding salary? We needed to move a contract last year to make room for a Marleau type of trade. I rather get a first with little cap room for one year than worry about trade values. Your not getting a first with any player at the TDL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We will have over 10 million in dead cap space for Dion and Kovy next year, how is that shedding salary? We needed to move a contract last year to make room for a Marleau type of trade. I rather get a first with little cap room for one year than worry about trade values. Your not getting a first with any player at the TDL.

They’re definitely not getting additional firsts with the players they have now, but why the urgency to clear space immediately? They’ll gradually lose dead weight and have more room to make moves this summer if need be.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
They’re definitely not getting additional firsts with the players they have now, but why the urgency to clear space immediately? They’ll gradually lose dead weight and have more room to make moves this summer if need be.

Last year clearing cap space would have allowed us to acquire assets. Assets like another first rounder this year. On a rebuilding team that is number 1 priority. Last year we had a great opportunity with the Leafs cap strapped, not to sure we'll see that again this summer. We have like 20 million in cap next summer, but once the roster is set we should be around 8-10 million. If we can offload Kovy even at 50% we should be in good shape to take on a cap dump and picks.

Reactions: YP44

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How come? Hopefully not just because QMJHL Bias.

If I'm being honest, yes, it's mostly that.

I just don't feel like he's head and shoulders over everyone else right now. Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like others are having massive improvement years, especially Byfield. Or maybe it's just that he's such a lock that no one is looking at him much right now, haha.

Maybe 'scares' is the wrong word but if I'm picking #1 overall it's a lot tougher now than it was earlier this year and some absolutely phenomenal players are going to be available no matter where we pick

Reactions: ru4reals

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The Kings won the very first draft lottery in 1995 with only a 4.2% chance. Unfortunately that was under the old rules when you could only move up 4 spots. You can blame Penny Hardaway for that oddly enough.
How dare you bring facts contrary to conventional wisdom to this board?!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If I'm being honest, yes, it's mostly that.

I just don't feel like he's head and shoulders over everyone else right now. Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like others are having massive improvement years, especially Byfield. Or maybe it's just that he's such a lock that no one is looking at him much right now, haha.

Maybe 'scares' is the wrong word but if I'm picking #1 overall it's a lot tougher now than it was earlier this year and some absolutely phenomenal players are going to be available no matter where we pick

I think the bottom line if we are fortunate enough to land #1 or #2, it's all good. I think there is a clear division after that. Personally, I think Lafreniere would be great. I know you're not supposed to draft for need, but the thought of Kopi, Vilardi and Turcotte dishing to him on the wing is very tempting, and we are weak sauce in the organization on the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad