GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Think id give the draft a -A. Hard to give any draft where you get a franchise altering first overall pick like Lafreniere as anything lower the a B+. Rest of the picks seem pretty good too. It would be extremely surprising if Schneider is never a consistent NHLer, but im not sure how big of a role hell have on a team. Still a good pick at 19, just not a big fan of trading up for him. Not the biggest fans Cuylle and Tarnstrom but still seem like solid enough picks. The guys we took in the 5th im big fans of, especially Berard. They make up for the fact im not a big fan of who we took in the 2nd and 3rd. Taking 2 goalies is kinda annoying but Garand seems like a good prospect.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Fixed being a somewhat subjective term.

You can fix a shoulder or even a knee.

Concussions, neck injuries or some combinations of the two are a little trickier. Kind of like back injuries, you kind of manage it more than fix it.

Some people had concerns with what the medical reports showed. Could be nothing. Could be something that is triggered in two years. Could be something that doesn't impact him until he's in his 30s.

Some teams were more comfortable with that possibility than others.
Gary Roberts had serious neck injuries but played well after....not sure if similar or not in this case .

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Lol another goalie?
edit: well Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th so can't really complain. I think one Pashnin in the 7th round was enough for the Rangers. Never again.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The problem with any brain injury is that you are significantly more vulnerable to those injuries again.

And unlike an ACL where you're not quite the same, or not quite as fast, a brain injury impacts everything. It's a significant risk, especially when you consider the kid hasn'teven played pro hockey yet.

There were things I know that concerned them after reading the reports. And without the opportunity to have him examined by your people, that's a really big leap of faith.

I say that as someone who probably would've taken flyer. But I don't think not taking him as a tactical error either. I think it's reasonable.

But my understanding is it’s not a brain injury, it’s a bone injury on the vertibrae. It would be like comparing a pitcher who broke his arm to a pitcher who tore his UCL. The broken arm is far less of a problem than the inner muscle stuff.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Think id give the draft a -A. Hard to give any draft where you get a franchise altering first overall pick like Lafreniere as anything lower the a B+. Rest of the picks seem pretty good too. It would be extremely surprising if Schneider is never a consistent NHLer, but im not sure how big of a role hell have on a team. Still a good pick at 19, just not a big fan of trading up for him. Not the biggest fans Cuylle and Tarnstrom but still seem like solid enough picks. The guys we took in the 5th im big fans of, especially Berard. They make up for the fact im not a big fan of who we took in the 2nd and 3rd. Taking 2 goalies is kinda annoying but Garand seems like a good prospect.

I don’t think drafting Laf plays into how good your draft is. What makes drafts good is drafting really good players that other teams missed and how you handle your trades to leapfrog other teams to take players. Slam dunk picks are silly. LA will be judged much more harshly for #2 than Ottawa will for #3, just as NJ will be judged much harsher for Hughes than we will for Kakko. It’s the tough decisions that make or break a draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gary Roberts had serious neck injuries but played well after....not sure if similar or not in this case .

It could be. But Roberts was already in the NHL when that occurred. It's a little harder for teams to feel comfortable with those injuries, in combo with a neck injury, before he even gets to the show.

He would've gone at some point, it's just a matter of where. And for some teams that wasn't at the 2/3 phase of the first round. Which is understanble.

Reactions: leetch99

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This is very patronizing. This Website called Hockey’s Future, where people keep an eye on prospects. This isn’t a Rangers site. It’s great when what the Rangers do aligns with the content that we read on these boards. When it doesn’t happen, people are allowed to disagree and converse accordingly. As someone who has kept an eye, not a big eye but certainly paid attention, to the draft eligible players this year, yes - it is very frustrating to take two goalies when organizational depth is needed elsewhere. It is very frustrating for example to see Pashin go to a division rival to go completely off the board to take a second goaltender. HF is not a vessel for me to blindly support the Rangers, there are other places for that.

He's right though. People getting upset about 7th round picks is crazy. Whats the chance a 7th rounder makes it to the show? Less than 1%? And yes I know that Lundqvist was a 7th rounder.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Obviously Lafreniere is an A+++ but that's a no brainer. I'm thrilled for that but it doesn't affect my overall grade that much because when you obtain the rights to select an elite player first overall, the joy is in obtaining the right to the selection and not any shrewdness over the selection itself.

Schneider I'd say is a B+. Solid value where he was picked, but dinged slightly due to fit.

Cuylle seems solid enough. I can't say it was an A pick but he certainly seems like a good prospect to have in the system.

From there on it seems like things got a little weird. Tarnstrom and Garand felt like pretty significant reaches, no? Especially with Nybeck on the board.

Berard I like, Vierling I know very little about. The last two picks are probably standard which is just shots in the dark and don't necessarily equate to any grade negativity.

Taking Lafreniere out I'd say I was underwhelmed. Including him obviously I'm thrilled.

Obviously I'm open to listening to anyone with actual input instead of sarcasm.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But my understanding is it’s not a brain injury, it’s a bone injury on the vertibrae. It would be like comparing a pitcher who broke his arm to a pitcher who tore his UCL. The broken arm is far less of a problem than the inner muscle stuff.

Well, right now it's at least one concussion. Possibly three.

At best, it's one concussion and a neck injury. So there's at least one in there.

But that's also part of the risk, you literally can't have your own doctors look at him right now. You basically have to go off the word of his camp and what your professionals see in the medical record.

To that end, there were still concerns afterward. That's what drove the decision --- the uncertainty about being to verify and/or whatever they saw, or didn't see, in the file.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Overall; I think the Rangers did well these last 2 days. I'd give them a B+. Found the choice of a goalie in the 7th rd odd. I wanted a forward with the 2nd first round pick, but most of the forwards I was hoping for were already chosen when the Rangers picked; but I can live with the player they took. Somewhat surprised they took only 1 defenceman, despite the glut of defensive prospects; thought maybe take a development/project kid late.

Lafreniere was the no-brainer. Schneider looks like he could have an impact in the not too distant future. I figured they would take a goalie; am unfamiliar with who they took in the 4th rd, but the reports look promising.

They added bulk and (hopefully) players who can put the puck in the net while still playing a role; maybe have some upside (I'm excluding Lafreniere from this paragraph, as we know what he will likely do in the NHL, of course barring injury).

It's been interesting to follow along here; thank you to the people here who provided us with the tidbits of information and analysis; @Edge and @bobbop among them; it was appreciated.

Now, on to free agency, starting on Friday. The Rangers will likely make other trades as the offseason progresses; it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This draft is a A-/B+ Still pissed about trading up for Schneider and then the goalie in the 4th was an absolute waste as was the goalie in the 7th.

Not a bad draft and a couple really good value picks, but silly to trade up for Schneider; should've waited or gotten someone like Lapierre with the major boom potential.

Rangers still have a lot of moves to make. Lias trade and result was solid at least.

Why exactly was it silly to trade up for Schneider? Many boards had him between 12-17 and the Rangers had him 12. I think Pronman had him 10. Jersey was absolutely taking him at 20 so why again was it a bad thing to use #72 to move up 3 spots and take the guy at 19. The Rangers said they wanted to be tougher to play against and Schneider fits that mold. Laperriere had some serious medical questions that allowed him to drop. It may be a great pick but it's also very risky given his history.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
  1. Great draft for us. Of course with Lafreniere it's a success right off the bat--but Schneider is big, strong and a really good skating defenseman, Cuylle--big, strong, skilled and has an edge and these are two guys in the future should make our team harder to play against--don't know a lot about Tarnstrom but I think Garand was a good goalie pickup and Vierling and Berard are excellent 5th round value picks--particularly Berard. Rempe and Ollas then are monsters. Rangers obviously looking at size in this draft but we got a ton of skill too.

Reactions: leetch99

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Magnusson goes to the Caps...

The goalie I wanted NYR to take, Devon Levi, goes to the Panthers...

I liked both. Was actually torn between Magnusson and Tarnstrom on the sim with a late pick. Levi was a get for me as a goalie. Too dominant for too long, but the Rangers got a dominant 6'1" goalie that's more proven two leagues up. I was interested in Levi cause it would be a 6th or later. Can't knock it.

Really wanted Wallinder, Grans, Weisblatt, Robbins, Johanesson, Knazko & Jurmo. Liked Wilsby, S. Johannesson, Persson, Nikishkin and Jarevante, Evangelista, JL Foudy, Phillips and Coe.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
  1. Great draft for us. Of course with Lafreniere it's a success right off the bat--but Schneider is big, strong and a really good skating defenseman, Cuylle--big, strong, skilled and has an edge and these are two guys in the future should make our team harder to play against--don't know a lot about Tarnstrom but I think Garand was a good goalie pickup and Vierling and Berard are excellent 5th round value picks--particularly Berard. Rempe and Ollas then are monsters. Rangers obviously looking at size in this draft but we got a ton of skill too.
You can't bake the perfect chocolate muffin with just chocolate....at some point you need some eggs and butter and sometimes a nut or two . LOL...always look for the perfect blend !!! GO RANGERS GO !!!

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad