GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Maybe i missed something but didnt the Rangers have three 7th Round Draft Picks? Were two of them traded away?

Reactions: Ola

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
BC or BU-bound?

he'll be a sophomore at Providence College so if they actually play he'll be a teammate of Berard so we likely will see him alot. He's 20 so I think he is now too old to be drafted and we can sign him if he's any good

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You can't bake the perfect chocolate muffin with just chocolate....at some point you need some eggs and butter and sometimes a nut or two . LOL...always look for the perfect blend !!! GO RANGERS GO !!!

I think it was pretty apparent after Carolina handed our asses to us that we didn't have those grind it out guys and players like Schneider, Cuylle and even though he's kind of small Berard are not easy guys to play against. I think both scouching and Draft Dynasty did clips on Berard by the way. We've also got a bunch 6'6 and above forwards in the pipeline now--Gettinger, Rueschoff, Edstrom and Rempe. None of them are terrible players either and I kind of like that. Guys like that are physical without even trying. If we can turn just one of them into a regular that would be good.

Reactions: leetch99

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not sure about the twin towers with the last 2 picks but the initial reaction on the first 5 rounds seems really positive. normally everyone hates our picks no matter what lol.

obviously the top 2 picks you expect to be players....then you have positive feedback on the potential for cuylle, tarnstrom, vierling and berard...I don't think any will be starts but we badly needed forward depth in our system and I think we got much better in that area.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why does everyone hate goalie picks? All out best goalies for the past 40 years or so were draft picks. Our draft picks. The good ones come from somewhere

Vanbiesbrouck - 4th rd
Richter - 2nd rd
Lundqvist - 7th rd
Shesterkin - 4th rd

I think the Rangers luck with taking them in the first and second has soured some people on taking them anywhere.

I have no problem with our approach this year.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It is weird how many chl players we took. We went from taking almost none to most of our draft being chl kids.

I don't think that was by accident...if you look at the % of players in the league that come from those 3 leagues vs the players that we get from there it was a major weakness. We drafted from europe and us colleges because those were the scouts we trusted...I think the organization recognized that and has taken steps to try to address that.

They created a Director of North American scouting position and brought in JD's son in law Chris Morehouse, who was the director of scouting in Columbus to be Bobrov's counterpart. And brought in some new scouts like Konowalchuk (who is now listed as a pro scout, not amateur so might not apply anymore lol).

Last year we took Robertson from the WHL and this year we went heavy from the CHL...time will tell if the results are there but I like them trying to address an organizational weakness

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
My thoughts on this draft class...

Lafreniere is a homerun. Easily the best thing for the franchise!! The Schneider trade-up was a solid move, in hindsight. Snagging a pick from the Devils (and that was the case, I don't care what their writers say) and grabbing a solid defenseman is a great move in any sense. If Schneider can become anything like Trouba or Lindgren, that's a win!!

Trading Lias for a 2nd rounder is also a good move, despite the potential for Lias to spark his career in LA and thrive. Cuylle is a good get, though. Big, fast, shoot first and is heavily physical. I think a lot of teams are going to want him one day. Similar to how Lemieux was sought after. He says himself he models his game after Tom Wilson. I could see that and I love that for NYR!!

I like the upside in Tarnstrom, however, I think he was taken a little early. I had him in the early 4th because he has a good grind style. He does have the potential to develop a really good playmaking possession game. He already has that possession game and I think over time he can develop a good offensive game.

Garand is a good selection in the 4th round. Was one of the better goalies on board and is a good time to use a pick on one of those top goalies. He looks a lot like Georgiev and I feel this was, honestly, the BPA for the Rangers at that moment. He's already been discussed to make Team Canada for the WJC. I like the pick!!

The 5th round was a master class use of finding falling talent. Vierling was one of the players I wanted NYR to get past the 2nd round. He was considered a low 1st round-early 2nd round pick when the season started. An injury early on and being on a shitty Flint team diminished his production. Since his move to Barrie, he has been on fire. Love that pick!! Berard can also be considered a faller, although I had him more in the late 4th round. Highly competitive and could develop an offensive game that can thrive similarly to a player like, dare I say, Brad Marchand. Love the upside there, too!!

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Rempe. He wasn't a no draft for me, but primarily a 7th at best. He's big and speedy for his size, but I do think he has a lack of offensive talent. He can also be lost on the defensive side. I would've gone a different route. I do say his size and speed combo can be beneficial later on in his career. I don't like the pick now, but I can see this being a solid pick later on in development.

Hugo Ollas I haven't seen at all, TBH, but by looking at the stats and initial video clips, not only would I have gone with a falling defender/forward, I would've gone with a different goalie, too. With the way Garand plays, I think it would've been better to find more depth at forward or defense.

All-in-all, I would give the Rangers an A-. I originally had it at a B+, but Lafreniere is too good to not give them an A in some capacity. With Lafreniere, they were also able to grab players with physicality and skill. The fact that they were able to get a solid goalie prospect and grab center depth is great, as well. Good job NYR!!

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
So did our scouts discover that there was a country north of the US that's pretty good at hockey? We drafted a ton of Canadians when all we drafted before were Swedes, Russians, and Americans.

I kinda get the feeling the Rangers were tired of having to spend so much time waiting for Euro players to be ready for the NA game. As for why they didn't draft many Americans, the US didn't seem to have a particularly good draft with only two going in the 1st round. NA skaters don't have to adjust nearly as much, with the language and the rink size. Hopefully it means it won't take them as long to be ready.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Fwiw pronman gave the rangers an A+, we were the only team to get an A+

Pronman pointed out as @Edge and I were saying last night Schneider was consensus One of the top 4 dman in the draft. On a lot of teams top 10 lists and edge mentioned number 12 for the Rangers. I believe other than Lafreniere of course, that pick, along with vierling and the goalie garand really stood out.

of course getting back into the second round and taking a guy that fit the spot well enough helps too.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Pronman pointed out as @Edge and I were saying last night Schneider was consensus One of the top 4 dman in the draft. On a lot of teams top 10 lists and edge mentioned number 12 for the Rangers. I believe other than Lafreniere of course, that pick, along with vierling and the goalie garand really stood out.

of course getting back into the second round and taking a guy that fit the spot well enough helps too.

I'm not a fan of how he graded teams. He graded on the haul rather than how well they drafted. The grade should be on how well you drafted The trades you made. Grabbing the fallers, avoiding the reaches. Carolina had a really good draft in that way. They got a lot of the fallers. Obviously if a team doesn't have a 1st round pick, the haul will be hurt, but that doesn't mean the team can't have an A draft. Rangers got the best player available, a player most would consider a franchise-altering player if not generational. Of course their haul is going to be better than pretty much anyone sans Ottawa because they got two top 5 picks and LA because some think Byfield has the potential to be even better than Laf combined with the fact Byfield is one of the youngest players in the draft and Laf is one of the oldest and Byfield plays the more important position. So it puts certain teams at an inherent disadvantage.

Rangers did well, but he even admitted Laf was a huge reason for that. I can't really take a list like that too seriously.

Reactions: mas0764

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Overall I’m happy with the draft. 2020 is a fantastic class and I think the rest of the league knew it.

There were definitely some players I would have liked to move up for who dropped big time: Gunler, Andrae, Hirvonen, Viro, Chromiak, Nybeck, Farrell, Zlodeyev.

Lafreniere makes this an A draft by himself.

Schneider is exactly the player this team needs at the wrong position. He’s going to be top 4 defenseman in the NHL for a long time.

Cuylle was a tad of a reach for me but I understand the pick. The sensible depth drafting priority for this team was finding players players who are tough to play against. This guy embodies that. He’s a high floor low ceiling bottom 6er.

Tarnstrom was a reach. Only saw him once this year so can’t say much. I like the quick progression people are talking about but seems like a risk.

Garand was a top 10 goalie in the draft. I’m a terrible scout on goalies. We needed a decent one. Feed him to Allaire.

After the 1st, the 5th was the next strongest. Bedard is the a solid playmaker stuck in a kids body. I’m not one to dig on size too much. I’m just not sure if his skill is at the level that will offset the size.

Vierling is a hell of a pick. 3rd round value. He’s a fun hard working two way guy. Good production. Could turn into a middle 6 center but a sure thing.

2 giants. A draft for me.

Thought the Hurricanes had the strongest draft.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Fwiw pronman gave the rangers an A+, we were the only team to get an A+
we're the only team that drafted Lafreniere.
So how many of the LW draftees do you think are going to start learning to play center or RW? I'm also hoping anyone how is looking at the bottom 6 (including those on our roster) will add defense to their game.

Panarin
Lafreniere
Kreider
Lemiuex
Barron (plays C too)
Cuylle
Berard
Edstrom
Aaltonen

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dylan Garand – Draft Projection

Regardless of his potential, Garand will likely find himself taken in the sixth or seventh round. Only one major source ranked him within the top-100. A good comparison for his draft projection is Everett Silvertips goalie Dustin Wolf, who was easily the best goalie in the WHL this season. He put up even better stats last season, yet he still was selected in the seventh round by the Calgary Flames, due to his smaller 6-foot frame. While Garand doesn’t look to be quite as talented as Wolf, there’s a chance that whoever snaps him up this year could have a steal on their hands much like the Flames look like they do now.

https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-garand-2020-draft-prospect-profile/
For one shining moment, I believed there was a goaltender named “Everett Silvertips”.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I'm just the second banana here, @Edge is the star of the show!
Like someone said about our Power Play talent it’s an embarrassment of riches to have all of our insider! We appreciate you all! You’re info whether true or rumor is a lot of fun to read!
LGR!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad